Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Excellent OP, now I want to buy Zendo. Is the Looney Labs version that's currently available good? Or do I want one of the older ones if I can find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Tragedy Looper may be my favorite game so Zendo sounds up my alley. Any other similar games that scratch that same sort of itch?

I've not played Tragedy Looper, but Zendo seems to share a certain logic puzzle element with The Shipwreck Arcana, which I have and enjoy.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Almost all of my board games are sleeved with Mayday Premium sleeves. I use Dragon Shield on card games like MTG though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mayveena posted:

Mayday is owned by Mormons so no Mayday for me. Plus they've made some extremely stupid decisions in the past. A friend and I use Paladin sleeves at paladinsleeves.com, owned by Board & Dice., we really like them. They were on sale a few days ago, might want to check there.

Oh, I had no idea there was an issue with Mayday!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Viper915 posted:

Speaking of deckboxes, does anyone make slim deckboxes that would hold a smaller deck and still fit in a board game box? I'm specifically thinking of Concordia, where I got a new map for Christmas, and to fit it all in the box I will need to ditch the insert, but that leaves the cards loose. I mean I guess I could make a DIY tuckbox, but it got me thinking that I have plenty of other games that would benefit from like a 30 or 40 card capacity deckbox that could fit in with all the other components, or that would be perfect for some travel games without a full size 100 card ultrapro taking up a ton of space.

The burger token tuckboxes are a nice option if the cards are the right size and count. Otherwise a custom tuckbox is your slimmest option.

https://burgertokens.com/products/perfect-fit-deckboxes?variant=21689594544217

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

What’s wrong with mars? I’ve played it 10 or so times and have no complaints other than it’s annoying when all your initial cards are expensive or dependent on high temperature/oxygen/oceans.

I too enjoy TM, but there is a lot of valid criticism about it. Most notable is probably that the best strategy is to avoid the engine building aspect as much as possible and just directly try to Terraform Mars. That basically means that the best approach is to not interact with most of the gameplay elements, which is damning as far as design goes.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

gschmidl posted:

I'm 3D printing all my own inserts and holders and so on, it saves incredible amounts of money.

I do this as well, but will add the caveat - *it saves incredible amounts of money but adds the expenses of both the 3d printer and time.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Kalko posted:

Wait, there's no way to avoid burning cards, is there? I know you can choose to burn them early, but once you've discarded every card in your hand you must burn one to get all the others back, right?

Right, but I think folks here were talking about using card actions that inherently burn the card. Those should not be used until late or in emergency situations.

I haven't played on Steam, but my group played through at least 15 missions (before I moved away) and only had to re-run one. The first two missions are hard, but totally doable with out-of-the-box characters. You need to be really careful about getting hit. Don't end your turn by opening a door, don't rush up on enemies, use choke points well, etc.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

the holy poopacy posted:

This is debatable--burning a big attack preemptively to kill enemies faster can save you some damage and also cards played, so in the long run a well played burn card can increase your longevity.

Occasionally yes, but certainly not on the first few missions. Later once you have a handle on things you'll know when it makes sense to do this. OP is essentially XP grinding to beat mission 1 and talking about burning cards too fast.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I own Bus and TGZ, and would pick up R&B if it weren't a million dollars. Maybe they'll reprint it a sixth time for its 25th anniversary in a few years? Who knows.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fate Accomplice posted:

is there any appreciable difference between R&B&C 4th edition and the 20th anniversary edition?

I have a copy of each and don't know which to get rid of. the 20th century box lid is a bit crushed so if there's no difference I probably sell that.

Depending on your price I may take one off your hands, so lmk if you decide to sell one?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

Radlands is very high in my To Play pile, but every time I have a game day it's for 4+ players :negative:

When this happens to me and I have an incompatible game I want to play, I just suggest playing two games with a split group to start the night. Usually people are cool with it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I can understand not wanting to buy extra, unnecessary plastic, but also we're literally talking about toys here. Like, boardgames are our adult toys. I don't feel like I'm contributing to the demise of the planet when I buy Lego, for example. There's a big difference between some plastic bits in a box on my shelf that I'm going to get years of use and enjoyment from and the plastic that's used in a 20 oz Coke bottle (which I recycle btw).

I guess I'm saying I totally respect your avoidance of extra plastic bits, but it's not really a thing I personally feel guilty about in this hobby.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mayveena posted:

And one thing that board games have in common with Lego is that they get re-sold and re-used, reducing demand for new product. Yeah I realize that the hobby doesn't affect much in the scheme of things, but I keep having this visceral reaction to plastic in the ocean which sickens me and I want to do something about it. Rationally we can keep on keeping on, noting that our choices within this hobby don't amount to a lot regarding climate change.

That's actually why I specifically called out Lego in the comparison, although Lego blocks are produced in much higher volume than the print runs on most of the board games discussed here. Reliance on plastic is a major problem in modern western society, I don't mean to argue otherwise, but there are much more significant areas of daily life to focus on reduction of plastic usage than one's board game collection.

Single use plastic is where I would encourage everyone to focus first. Stop using shrink wrap and ziploc bags in favor of reusable containers, use reusable shopping bags, never buy bottled water, steer away from clamshell packaged products, etc. I don't personally believe that the existence or non-existence of the GameTrayz inserts in my copy of Eclipse: Second Dawn really makes a meaningful difference in terms of the current global ecological situation.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

the holy poopacy posted:

I'd be more worried about the shrink wrapping on boxes and cards than about plastic minis, that stuff is far more insidious environmentally.

That's actually something I've seen some (admittedly environmentally aware) recent games doing away with.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/canopygame/canopy/posts/3412323 In this update on Canopy there's some discussion about eliminating shrink wrap for that release. (He does state it is very much still the industry standard to use shrink wrap though.)

Also the abstract game P'achakuna made a point of being carbon neutral https://treecer.com/en/store/product/P%27achakuna%20-%20Deluxe

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I like NPI, and this is a good video, but it's more focused than just "what's the best dexterity game". Other than the Carrooka mention it's pretty specifically focused on an air hockey replacement. I have Klask and Crokinole (and a few others) but they're very different games. The real-time vs turn based aspect makes a huge difference. It's like comparing starcraft and civilization, or halo and x-com. Just like a lot of us have multiple worker placement, drafting, deckbuilding, auction, dudes on a map, or whatever genre games in our collections, I think there's plenty of room to have multiple dexterity games.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Carillon posted:

Maybe a silly question, but how does crokinole compare to something like a full fledged Table shuffleboard? I've played a lot of that prior to Covid as a bar I frequented has a solid table, but obviously with the world as it is today I haven't been in a while.

I prefer shuffleboard, but they're both fun. I find it harder to judge the strength of a crokinole flick than the strength of a shuffleboard push, if that makes any sense. Crokinole is a very tight, close quarters game in comparison, and if you get a disc into the center it scores immediate points and is removed, vs shuffleboard where you just want to be close to the edge.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Slimy Hog posted:

2nd-ing this. My hot take is that Gloomhaven is only fine

I think it's quite fun to sit around the table and play Gloomhaven with friends every two weeks or so. It's something I miss since the pandemic set in. If you're only in it for the tactical combat then sure, digital is probably fine, but it's not the same experience as sitting around with your friends.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

PRADA SLUT posted:

bookkeeping sucks

This is true. I have a number of 3d printed accessories for Gloomhaven that make it much easier, so if you have a 3d printer you can definitely fix some of that, but stock it is a ton of fiddly bookkeeping

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I bought some little stands that have life spinners built in.

I printed some standee bases that I can put small d10s and status markers in, but there are some standee bases with counters built in that I may print. There's NO WAY IN HELL that I would deal with using life counters on the number slots on the cards. That's a level of fiddliness that I refuse to deal with.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Both of those are huge improvements, but IMO 3d printed dials or dice also take up enough real estate on the boards -- they are considerably "bigger" than the standees themselves -- that once you are into 4p numbers of monsters in groups all adjacent to one another, it no longer feels like an elegant solution and becomes clunky.

I think an app that is screen casted to a monitor or TV screen everyone can easily see would be a great solution, but I never did get around to trying that.

I never had a board space issue with the standee bases, and played exclusively with 4 players.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Buy a 3d printer and print/design your own inserts!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Admiralty Flag posted:

As the Broken Token organizers are out (see the second post of the thread for more info if, like me, you were unaware), who in general is the go-to organizer recommendation?

And, specifically, who's got the best organizer for (no surprise to anyone who's seen my recent posts) Spirit Island with expansions?

e: USA if it matters

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=spirit+island+insert&type=things&sort=relevant

I haven't printed any of these myself, but it seems there are a bunch of options.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

!Klams posted:

My copy of Townsfolk Tussle arrived today! It's a really lovely production, and for once I feel like it's a Kickstarter where a bunch of minis is justified. Its basically a simplified KDM except instead of nods to rape, it's in a loveable Tex Avery (actually very cuphead) style, and the art and character design is just absolutely top notch!

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it seems really fun. One cool element is that there are a bunch of differing bosses, and a game is you beating four of them sequentially.

But they each have differing rules depending on when you face them, so they all get harder in different ways depending on how late you reach them, and then they all have a totally game changing scenario if you're facing them as the final battle. I think it's a really cool way of keeping things varied.

I haven't taken my copy out of the shrink wrap yet, but hopefully I will get it to the table in the next few weeks.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The Yucatan kickstarter is closing in less than a day, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the game. (Let's leave all the KS discussion for another time?)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Crackbone posted:

Thought would be it’s Matagot, it will end up in shops regardless of it you back or not. So why front them the money to find out if it’s good?

Yeah, good point, that's why I didn't back it when it went up. No need to change that thought now I suppose.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

What new perversion is this? It's like you weirdos that put multiple games into one box, but wrong in the entirely opposite direction.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Carillon posted:

Vitamins, Minerals & Supplements › Vitamins › Multivitamins › The Quacks of Quedlinburg

This is amazing. And it's sold by CMYK games so it makes me wonder if they listed it there on purpose because it's really all about making potions?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LifeLynx posted:

My friend wants to buy me either:
Aeon's End
Robinson Crusoe
Warp's Edge

...for the purpose of me solo gaming. I love Arkham Horror LCG, Spirit Island, and 7th Continent, but I hate Mage Knight (too big of a play area, too many random rules and exceptions to those rules to learn). I like the idea of Aeon's End except for the "no shuffling" part which seems like it'd put too much of a burden on memorization. Robinson Crusoe I've never heard much about except that solo gamers rate it highly. Warp's Edge looks neat but I don't know how much longevity it has. I watched a video today and it reminds me a lot of this mobile game Deep Space D6.

Another suggestion I might toss to him is Too Many Bones, which looks like a fun time but I'm worried would be too random to scratch my strategy itch. Anyone have any opinions on these three (four)?

Aeon's end is a very tight deckbuilder that tends to reward small, efficient decks. Memorization is relevant but not overly cumbersome from my experience. It's less about memorizing the order of the cards that you'll get and more about discarding things next to one another that play well together, if that makes sense. Like, if you think about discard order reasonably well in the moment then you don't need to worry about remembering stuff for later (although obviously it would help if you do, it's just not really required). I've mostly played it coop with 4 players but I've played a bit of it solo and I think it has merit in either configuration if you like deckbuilders. I've played the base game and the War Eternal set, with and without some of the expansions. There's A LOT of Aeon's End, so if you like it you could have an absurd amount of gameplay if you start buying up the different sets, but the base game gives a perfectly good view of what the gameplay is like.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The rules say you can look through the discard pile at any time, but not the draw deck. So technically you can get one last look at things right when you exhaust your deck, but not after that.

If you've managed to make a pretty lean deck, it's not much to keep track of. Really though, just discarding things next to one another that work as combos is enough. Sure every once in a while you won't actually draw them together, but usually it works out.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Blamestorm posted:

There are copies at Greyfox games website if you’re in the US - shipping overseas is unfortunately prohibitively expensive otherwise, I’ve been trying to get a copy of it but $40USD shipping to Australia was too much for me.

Nah it's out of stock.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

vulturesrow posted:

It's been a minute since I posted on SA.

First off, I bought Pan Am for my son and me to play, strictly for thematic reasons (he loves airplanes, especially the big commercial ones). But it is actually a pretty fun game. Any goons played/playing it?

My question:

Where are my solo gamers at? Talk to me about my options. My kids are increasingly less interested in board gaming with me and my wife never was lol.

What's the current state of the industry, i.e., what's the new bg hotness? I've not been keeping up.

I have Pan Am and enjoy it, and it has been appreciated by my friends as well at a few game nights where I brought it out.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My copy of Return to Dark Tower with all the addons and miniatures and everything is out for delivery. I'll try to get a some posts up for it tonight or tomorrow.

Mine was just delivered!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm not really sure why people are hating on frosthaven, did I miss the memo or something? I played and enjoyed gloomhaven, and JotL has been heavily recommended in this thread in the past.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
So it seems like burnout is the predominant reason. That's fair. I have a bunch of 3d printed accessories and some extra organizational bins, so it never took me more than 10 minutes to set up for Gloomhaven with those. I'm looking forward to Frosthaven, but it's going to sit on my shelf for a long time before I play it. In my case the issue is that I had no regular board game night for most of the pandemic, but I acquired other legacy games in that time, so I just have way too much of a backlog.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Armauk posted:

Is Captain Sonar best played with eight people?

Absolutely. Some (most?) would argue it should only be played with 8 people.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mayveena posted:

This is totally off topic. Please stay on topic thank you.

I dunno, I thought it was kinda funny. There's two discussion threads going on here - One about Golem, and a totally separate one about that poster accidentally buying a game when actually just trying to check the price.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah I'm hovering around 160, not counting expansions separately (they're almost all integrated into the base boxes, with expansion boxes long since trashed). I used to live in a huge house and it made no difference, but I recently moved across the country into a much smaller apartment and the space they occupy is significant now. My old place was kind of like a board game cafe for my friends group, but my new place is much too small for that.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

Noone cares. Take it to QCS. loving talk about board games, jfc.

I got my first game of Dune: Imperium in over the weekend and had a blast. I've read some folks complain about how combat can be really swingy if you get specific Intrigue cards (and one combat was won by such trickery), but I thought that added a nice element of risk. On the whole I'd like to play more and see what different strategies are viable and how the different leaders play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mayveena posted:

I'm interested in what the expansions bring to the table myself.

Yeah having only played one game so far I don't have a sense of what Rise of Ix adds / addresses. I've read that there's some really good stuff in there though, so if the game sees frequent play I imagine I'll end up getting it.

The game we played was 3 player, and one player took an early lead on points. I managed to keep my deck really slim by trashing a lot and had a relatively high concentration of faction cards. In the late game I was able to play that 5 troop spaceguild space on several turns which let me win some 2 victory point battles, so I managed to win in the end. The player that came in third was trying to go with a Dominion-esk points strategy, hoping to buy up a bunch of Spice must Flow cards for points, but it didn't work out. None of us had played before so we were all kinda just trying out random strategies.

^^^^^^Edit: It's swingy, but I think it's swingy in a way that forces you to engage with most of the gameplay elements. You can't completely ignore combat, intrigue cards, faction alliances, the market row, etc. And yet engaging with any of those things isn't necessarily going to win you points. It's a game you can definitely lose even if you play well, but I don't mind that so much really. The group I played it with are a laid back but pretty experienced group of wargamer. We've all lost big fights to poor die rolls countless times and kind of appreciate the drama that sort of thing generates.

armorer fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 22, 2022