Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
A good solo game to me is more like a jigsaw puzzle where you pick at it for 10 - 15 minutes and then go about your day to pick at it some more later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I would suggest reading the Dune FAQ as well or at least keep it handy:
https://www.gf9games.com/dune/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Dune-FAQ-Nov-2020.pdf

Edit: The link to the FAQ in RTMs video description is to the oldest one, not the latest (Nov. 2020).

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 8, 2022

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

!Klams posted:

The combat system is so good, but yeah, I think its a bit too clever for its own good. Also the whole paying spice for troops is made annoyingly complicated because they pander to simple version players. To my mind the only thing I'd change about the game (apart from a slight nerf to tlielaxu) would be to double all the powers of leader tokens, and have the dial go higher. Because then, you just say, troops are worth one (or two for specials) and can double any with a spice. The math is the same but it's so much easier to grok.

I found advanced combat annoying too but I found a way that works much easier. It similar to what you suggested but without doubling the leader's strength. It best to just ignore the numbers on the battle wheel and turn the wheel based on increments. So if I have 5 forces I would turn the wheel 5 increments. The wheel shows 2.5. I can now add spice to gain more power, so I pay 2 spice and turn the wheel twice. The wheel now shows 3.5. That's it! No dividing or confusion by saying your forces are "half-strength."

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 22, 2022

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Can we talk deckbuilding guilty pleasures as well? Cause I loved me some of the original Legendary Encounters with the Aliens franchise, it was cool going through the films and I’ll let a lot of things slide if the primary mode of play is Co-op

I love the Aliens one. I was lucky enough to buy it just before it went out of print. You can easily mix and match your characters and objectives from all the movies so you can have crazy stuff like having all 4 Ripleys from each movie in one game.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

You can't mix and match objectives - some of them are dependent on past objectives. It's also advised to only use crew from one movie, although you can certainly see how the Marines would have handled Alien 3. If you have the expansion you also get two extra characters per movie, so you can play speculative scenarios like "what if Ripley had been killed instead of Kane?" and "what if Gorman wasn't an rear end in a top hat?"

While there are some objectives that depend on others, you can mix and match. People made are apps and spread sheets that help randomize the whole game.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

armorer posted:

Santorini is great at 2

While the box states 2-4 players, it actually is a 2 player game.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Mazes and Monsters, based on a "true" story about how DnD was causing youth to believe they live in a fantasy world.

There are also a bunch of chess movies like Searching for Bobby Fischer.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

Are there any good two player games not listed in the op?

To go the traditional board game route, Cribbage and Backgammon are both great and fast to play.

Horrified is a coop game that plays great at two, especially if your playing with someone who is not into heavier games.

Speaking of Watergate, I just found out there was a promo pack it called "A Change in History." It's just two cards, one for each player, that can be used to make the game easier for new players:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/6774765/watergate-change-history

The cards don't go in the decks so you can easily homebrew it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Azran posted:

I'm been thinking of buying another coop game, mostly meant for people who are relatively new to board games, so preferably I'd like a game trending towards the simpler end of the spectrum. The co-op titles I already have are Just One, Spirit Island, Codenames Duet and The Crew and I was mostly thinking of something with a board or some other board-like component (so not exclusively card-based like The Crew or Hanabi). I was originally planning on getting Pandemic Iberia but it's like $60 + shipping where I usually shop lol Looking at other alternatives, I saw that Forbidden Desert is half the price. Would it be a good fit for what I'm looking for? Looking at some videos it seems a tad more complex than Island but not that more so.

I think Forbidden Desert would be a good fit to what you are looking for. It was my first coop game I played and I thought the rules were pretty straight forward. The only part that is kind of weird is the way the storm moves; the storm is just an empty tile space that moves around by sliding tiles around it. I don't know why the game didn't use a storm tile/marker instead of an empty space. It took awhile to get used to.

If you are looking for other alternatives, I recommend the original Horrified. The rules are simple, it has a lots a replay value, and you can easily adjust the difficulty by having less or more monsters.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Pryce posted:

I find the difficulty curve of a single game of SI to be fascinating. There's always a turn where you finally crest the parabola of difficulty midway through the game, and then the rest of the turns are just cleanup. It's a very weird feeling when you win because it was already fairly clear a turn or two ago that you had it covered. It's that middle part of the game where it goes from "OH poo poo OH poo poo" to "Okay I think we got this" where it feels best, whereas the actual 'we win' moment is less thrilling.

It's a combination of getting/playing more cards and the lowering of victory conditions as you generate more fear. The more you destroy towns and cities the easier it is to win. It quickly goes from "How can I contain all of these invaders!?" to "O I just got destroy this one city left on the island to win."

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Yoshimo posted:

Sorry if there's a specific COIN thread but I've picked up Cuba Libre and will be running it for my chums on Sunday. Is there any light reading they can do to prep (because the rulebook definitely isn't light reading.) Or does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how to teach a game of this? I did swither with just running them through the Playbook and treating it as a forced tutorial.

There is a Watch it Played video on Twitch by Rodney Smith teaching it so you can watch it for ideas: https://twitch.tv/videos/1299595197

I'm still new to the game but I think they key points for explaining the rules are faction victory conditions and the Sequence of Play area on the board. Rodney called the Sequence of Play area the "engine" that drives the game which I think is a great way to explain it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

discount cathouse posted:

solo modes and solitaire games getting more and more accepted in boardgaming is a good developent. It´s got me to try solo gaming finally.
I played Marvel Champions started learning Spirit island on the App and it´s good. I prefer true solo for theme reasons, but I will probably play multihanded when I am familiar enough with the systems.
Can my fellow goons help me out with some recommendations and tips for solo gaming?

I love It's a Wonderful World. It is a really lean engine builder that plays under an hour.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

It blows my mind that that there are grown rear end adults cheating at board games. If I found out someone was cheating I just would have left.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Gale Force 9 has made some that I have heard are good too, but I've never played any of them.

edit: vvv Actually, I have played Tyrants and I liked it okay. I was thinking more of Spartacus, Star Trek Ascendancy, and some others.

The designers of those games are long gone from GF9, unfortunately

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Triskelli posted:

Owning a copy of the 2019 copy I can think of a few rules clarifications that are sorely needed. Off the dome is how the Emperor’s alliance ability is phrased. On the player sheet it only says “you share your wealth” and adds that you can pay to ship extra allied warriors to Dune. How and when do you share that wealth? Is it a communal pool of money now? I’m likely spoiled by FFG’s Rex, which explicitly stated that the Emperor (role) got to buy treachery for its allies.

E: I forgot how bad it was, there’s a 9 page FAQ that lays it all out. Dune would seriously benefit from a technical manual like the Law of Root.

I think the "share your wealth" is a hold over from the original 79 rules which there was no spice bribing. None of the other factions could transfer spice between each other, besides the Emperor. Spice bribing/dealing was a house rule that got really popular and there's no going back.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I think deep down even tabletop game-brained people still to an extent struggle to break free of board games as something to regard more flippantly, and as one-off type deals. Monopoly on family game night type stuff. It's definitely a really consistent thing that you'll find people who love TCGs or miniatures games and are very happy to sit down with a board game, but treat the idea of repeated plays and digging into mechanics as an insane idea to them.

The nature of the big players in the industry can ingrain the notion that more substantial games have to be a lot bigger and continued investments. I can gently caress up the perception that good gameplay value can exist in a small, self contained box and that you can get huge amounts of replays and complexity of metagames with well designed ones. I still continue to be baffled and frustrated by friends who'll happily play a learning game of something fairly heavy and then balk at resetting and trying at least one more game "for real" now that we've gotten the rules down.

I think it's less people think a board game offers less than most people tend to stick with what they know.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

This conversation reminds of an alien in Cosmic Encounter called the Sniveler, which is parody of the kind of player that complains about losing:

quote:

Sniveler is an alien that can whine about what it lacks in order to force other players to give it something he wants. It can whine if it has the fewest foreign colonies, has the most ships in the warp, or lacks an encounter card it wants; if he does, the other players must agree to either give Sniveler what it wants or give up what they have that Sniveler is whining about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Backgammon already had this poo poo figured out with the doubling cube. It would be neat to see a similar mechanism in other games.

Or maybe a simple midgame checkpoint, where if the gap of point difference / victory conditions between the highest and lowest players is at threshold then all players can agree to call it quits.