Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
I actually hate Tom's work in SUSD and he is part of the reason I stopped watching regularly.

He's like wish.com Quinns: some weird imitation of the original only wrong in all the important ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

jesus WEP posted:

i just miss having matt and quinns do podcasts and reviews together because no other combo has their chemistry imo

ESPECIALLY the podcast. I haven't listened to one in a while

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mr. Squishy posted:

I played Stephenson's Rocket for the first time in years. I've only played it once before, with me teaching but it was so traumatic I put it back on the shelf forever. I'm a bad teacher, it wasn't the crowd for it, but yeesh it was painful. People like it but I've yet to see past the clunk. There are three ways of in-game scoring, two out which are pretty much identical, and the last is totally different and pretty inconsequential. The fact that the minimal one is rail freight, with the real money coming from passengers is thematically jarring. The actual anatomy of a turn is a chore. Again there are two simple actions, place some wood down on the board, no problems there, but laying track is annoying. Move a loco, add a share, determine if a veto auction is happening, do the veto auction, spend some shares, let someone else move the loco but it's still your turn, lay down track, maybe gain a passenger, maybe do a bit of scoring... and then you get to do it again. We were four experienced gamers but that was so ungainly! Maybe if we played it enough to memorize all that and we can actually play the game, it'll be fun. But I do most of my gaming at meetups so there will always be a new player trying to keep straight town and merger scoring. On top of everything, the Grail rulebook is.... I want to say lousy but maybe it's just bad, and the iconography is utterly opaque.

I dunno if it translates well, but i made some helper cards and dropped them in my old edition Stephenson's Rocket. It's so much easier just to have that Build Track process in front of everyone at all times, even if the other 2 actions are super simple. I heard the points are different in the new one? I dunno? What mad man didn't like a giant wad of plus-sized bills for score anyway?

Gonna play Dinosaur Rails for the second time tonight. First time around was super fun... I like how all the little parts interplay with each other. I'd never played anything close to a cube-rail type game before unless you count a game of Railways of the World i half-slept through 10-ish years ago. I got p. hosed by a land bridge tile late game last time gonna have to watch for that this time.w

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Chill la Chill posted:

I'd gonna start using a term to go with MWEs to describe all the passive, forgettable, mid euros that keep on getting pushed out: Mid Rate Euros

Steve1989MREInfo reviewing board games is now stuck in my head. "Let's get this out onto the table. Nice."

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

!Klams posted:

... it's like "Oh hey, I'll give you a good deal" and you're like "Oh, sweet, yeah I'll take that", and you don't really look at what they're doing, and what you just did was DEFINITELY 100% hand them the win....

the reason we don't play many negotiation games (or negotiate in games where some people do a lot of negotiation like Princes of the Renaissance or Container), is that we recognize we're all absolute pieces of poo poo and any offer from any party is probably secretly handing them the win and they can go gently caress themselves.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

PerniciousKnid posted:

Just keep the tile pile far enough from her so she has to be obvious about switching.

You could also "upgrade your game" with a crown royal bag and have people pull tiles out of the bag at the end of their turn before passing the bag along. It's fun, makes it super fast to start the game (just shake and rummage the tiles in the bag a bit), and you get to watch her try to sneak a tile out of a bag you "absent-mindedly" cinched shut when it was passed to you.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

dishwasherlove posted:

I'm about 15 years too late but does anyone remember the best way to onboard newbies to Space Alert without running all the tutorials assuming there is a semi-competent captain (me)? Just run the last one and then a real mission? Really just want to get straight into the meat of playing with the character sheets and achievements from the expansion.

yep last advanced tutorial then normal missions. I also add a house rule that you can ask any rules questions (only! no strategy!) during radio silence. once people know how the game reasonably works you can take that rule away.

one thing I do that is probably wack is I never explain the fighters until asked specifically

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
Local Gaming Event Trip Report!

The Quest for El Dorado - I used my tried and true strategy of blowing my wad early and getting stuck on the second to last tile board (the "Canucks Plan"). My girlfriend won as usual. I still think this game is great, though!

Illusion - I haven't played this one in a while: happy to come back to it. It could have gone longer but a new player got cold feet about letting a round go on and called a perfectly good colour line. if you haven't played it's like liar's dice except instead of pushing how many of a roll are under cups, you're pushing how far we can correctly sort cards by % of a colour. I think it's cool because it uses this very non-gamey skill for the evaluation, but keeps the bluffing/push-luck elements of liar's dice.
Don't get me wrong, liar's dice has its own magic (if you're properly playing with rerolls) and is still king of this category.

Marshmallow Test - I think this is my new favourite trick-taker. Yes, I just bought Cat in the Box and it's good but I feel satisfied with Marshmallow every time I play. I do think they should take 3 players off the box though. If you haven't played this is a mostly basic trick-taker except if you ever take your 3rd trick in a hand you're OUT for the rest of the hand and immediately take 1 point for every trick... everyone else has won. If you're last or don't win 3 tricks before the end of the hand no points for you. it's got this hilarious brinksmanship how long can your go before you stink yourself? yes it IS a Knizia how did you know?

Next Station London - I've found that I actually don't particularly like roll and writes for a variety of reasons, most of which London conveniently fixes. Actually a good time! If you haven't played it's a spacial puzzle-type thing where you draw a card for the next station on the map you have to draw a line to. The deck is small and obvious and the discards are splayed out to see so you can plan ahead based on probability. Super good.

Quackmeisters von Quedlinburg- My first time playing this one. Pretty good. We played with some expansions... I think I would not have been impressed with the base game if that were my first go it was just above what I would consider too simple for a game like that. What I played however was good.

TBH it's not the event's fault probably, but I had an OK-to-disappointing time. You may notice a distinct lack of MEAT in my play list. Actually if I check my plays on past iterations of this event, I see a marked decline of meat. I think I might have to arrange something else in my house in order to play something more than a light euro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mr. Squishy posted:

This is what makes it great.
e: my problem with Race is that, as a new player, the game loop is draw 5 cards you've never seen before and immediately discard 4 to play 1. As you're sitting, reading, trying to work out what works, people who've been playing the game for a literal decade try to hide their impatience so they can get to the next phase.

mikeycp posted:

This is why I don't like race tbh. The only time I played I was the only new player and I just got loving creamed for like 90 minutes and that was the only thing I experienced about the game

Signing up to the lovely First Game of Race club. I literally haven't played the thing in 10 years cause that play sucked poo poo so hard. My game didn't last 90 minutes because it was over before i knew it and then one of the other players chewed me out for kingmaking cause the actions i was picking was helping out the winner too much.