Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I know in card games, they traditionally sit across from each other. That way they alternate turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

panko posted:

I won the wingspan tournament at an anime convention this weekend. despite not having much love for the game I entered on a lark

Heh. Lark.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

An interesting video game out a few days ago: Horror Boardgames | The Anatomy of Terror's Least Likely Home It's from Spice8Rack who is mostly a Magic: the Gathering content creator rather than a board game one, by way of Youtube essayist which is why it's two hours long. Also, you can scope out dat Spicey board game collection.

Oh yeah, I watched that, too! I thought the creator made some good points. Its definition of what makes a good horror game was maybe a little too restrictive, and that game it claimed was the best of the best, The Night Cage, looked maybe a little too brutal for my tastes, but I do agree that the domain of horror games could use some more love.

But then, I'm not a horror person. The only horror game I own is that old game Ghost Stories, and that's more of a wuxia film with spooky elements rather than an actual horror game. :v:

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

I listened to SVWAG until I played a few of the games one of the host earnestly recommended as being superior to a game I like, and lost so much respect for his taste that I could not sit through another episode.

Guess that means they really are so very wrong about games, huh :v:

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I believe they mean a deck where the cards have backs labeled 1, 2, 3, and all the 1s are shuffled together, the 2s are shuffled together under them, etc.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

I played my first game of Root and I was the fascists kitties and it was the worst experience of my life. 10/10 can't wait to play birb

Play as the People's Furry Liberation Army next time. :ussr:

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I wanna play Tech Tree: The Board Game so bad, it looks like funnnnnn :(

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Terraforming Mars: Did you know that it's possible to make a 4 player game of this take nearly 7 hours? I mercifully only spectated this one instead of playing, but I felt that this was worth mentioning anyway. A great example of why this is now on my Do Not Play list. Also, someone got over 100 megacredit production and still didn't win while having more cards on the table than 2 of the other players combined (one of whom was the overall winner)

Dear god, and I thought the 4-hour game with 5 people I played a few weeks back was long!

Glad to hear you played some fun games, tho. After watching the SU&SD video on Hansa, I really wanna give it a shot sometime.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I played Ark Nova on BGA yesterday, and I did not like it at all. Admittedly, I was still trying to figure out the rules and what all my options were, but at the same time, I got enough of the gist of the main gameplay loop to know I didn't like it at all. It's a "one big deck" game, just like Terraforming Mars and Wingspan, with all the problems that entails. You've gotta have a plot of land, and it needs to be next to the water, and you need the right partner zoos or universities, AND you need enough money, AND it needs to satisfy your win conditions, AND you need three other predators before you can play this, and on and on and on.

Congratulations, you have now successfully plotted one (1) animal. Now you need to sift through the entire deck to find another one that synergizes with it, good luck! (:

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Don't think I've ever resigned from a game, but I got pretty close when I discovered I'd critically misunderstood how the book-sorting rules work in that little book gnome game. Now, the other guy who was playing it for the first time with me managed to misunderstand the book rules in a completely different way, and when he found out, he threw his entire library in the air and walked away.

I stayed. My score was very bad :v:

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

panko posted:

one precious petal in the unfolding flower of a hansa group’s meta is setting up early offices in the cities adjacent to the 2-length routes and trying to spam out plates/force others to stop you from doing so :getin:

My group is still at "Man, the first guy to put a trading post at a good upgrade seems to run away with the score," so I'm doing this exact trick next game. We'll see what happens >:]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Oh, is Arcs joining the canon of games where you start the rules teach by asking if they know Hearts?

I did that for Cat in the Box the other day, and the guy said "no." I went through a long explanation of how trick-taking games work, he figured it out, and then after we'd finished the game, he said, "This was super-fun, but if it didn't have the black-suits gimmick, I wouldn't enjoy it."

...uh, okay? :confused: I promise, other trick-taking games are fun.