Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Does anyone even like board games?

Anyway, here's the update on the last 50 Kickstarter games I backed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

CommonShore posted:

Jagged Earth is great and you should be getting it more or less as soon as you've figured out the base game

I thought branch and claw was the one you wanted?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

iceyman posted:

Half way through the Azer campaign of Aeon's End: Legacy of Gravehold and it been thoroughly fun so far (apart from the first Nemesis and the dull as dishwater writing). I wish the original Legacy game was more like this instead of generic voiceless mages never to be featured again. Aeon's End is really underrated. Every since they introduced the Expeditions mechanics, there's a whole other meta-game level of strategy to play between sessions that is just extremely my jam. But hopefully this is the last chapter as I just couldn't consume any more content. There's no more room.

The first nemesis was confusing as hell, and also the bookkeeping after the first mission made me rage. I'm glad to hear it gets better though!

Still a little confused how the encounter deck works with the legacy aspect. I just keep everything in until it's banished looks like?

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 27, 2022

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Slyphic posted:

Ju

Good chance our next endeavor will be the Arkham Horror card game core set. I found a 'ding'n'dent' copy at our LGS that was more "box obliterated with prejudice" but the contents check out and the discount obviated my strongest objection. Unless it blows my pants off though, I can't see it as a frequent flyer whatwith the price of all the adventure packs.

Arkham horror is a great time, though I'm not sure how well it would go for 4 player campaigns. I've been using it as a date thing with my spouse.

Regardless they've started selling campaigns in a box. You'll get six or more play sessions for the price of fifty bucks. https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgahc66.html

It's still a big investment especially if you want to deckbuild though! Though the premade investigator decks aren't bad

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Requesting thread takes on merchants of the dark road

I loving hated it but everyone else playing loved it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Anyone have any ideas for smallish semi easy to learn games? I'm going out on a trip in a couple of weeks with some friends and I need something.

Burgle bros 2 looks potentially good, or I was considering a deckbuilder, since those come in tiny boxes.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm not sure if anyone has already posted this, but it looks like Star Trek: Ascendancy is getting two new expansions.

if you've slept on the game (and have a big table and a bunch of dedicated players) I think you should check it out

How is it and what player count is it best at? I love star trek and 4x games but could probably only get 2-3 players interested

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

3-4 is the sweet spot, especially if you're going to have the Borg in it.

Exploration is fun, warp to a planet, pull it off the shuffled stack and draw a card, unless you draw an anomaly or whatever. Planets can be placed anywhere in proportion to the planet you warped from, they're joined by like, little bridges that are warp tunnels or whatever, I don't know. Once two of these tunnels or bridges join your planet it cannot be moved around. So there's a little bit of a "base building" component to this - players have to "build" the galaxy towards you and you can't gently caress around or with other players until contact is made. Home planets must be 18 inches apart from one another so, you cant just build on the corner of a table, but this also means that more players means more table space is needed. Like way more. God so much more.

So you explore and draw planets, usually the exploration cards require a roll, everything in the cards is a screenshot of good quality from the shows and movies, it's all very excellent, high quality stuff. Adding to your empire is done in a variety of ways and some factions are better than others, but conquest, special card fiat and cultural dominance are the big ones. Some exploration cards can actually kill the planet you're on like the crystalline entity.

You can build lots of ships but it costs an action to move a ship or a fleet, so you group into fleets, everyone has three fleets with varying numbers in said fleets, with said purposes - except for the Klingons which is just "many ships, kill you" which makes sensse. Laying down colonies and placing starbases too is a thing you're doing a lot, too. There's also no real limit on how much sit you can build outside of minis, and there are minis expansions. They are of poo poo quality, popped out of molds with chunks of sprue and shite still on them so I wouldn't bother, just grab some free stls on thingiverse and find someone with a 3D printer (t. person who bought literally everything for the game). The minis in the box are fine, they...are board game quality, nothing amazing but it's very obvious by ship profile and color which is which, and they all look like they're supposed to.

The federation fights defensively and had advantages to doing the cultural conquest, the Romulans start with stealth tech and just dip out of battles they don't like, Klingons are pure aggression, they can build bigger fleets and always do damage on a 6 result, so you just, eh, swarm.
The expansions are all excellent, but I haven't been able to get the Andorians or Vulcans on the table yet. Ferengi play exactly how you think they would, you can set up trades with other players which gives you a set amount of resources each, but ferengi always get a little more, and Ferengi can buy victory points, which nobody else can. They also get free resources go being in orbit (but not attacking) other rival planets, so basically, you go the peacemaker route, and both of you get rich(but you get richer, heh heh heh heh) The Cardassians start with more actions and most of their technology is based around invading planets, sneaking ships behind enemy lines and generally doing cardie poo poo, and as I said I haven't played with the Vulks or Andorians yet.

This all sounds pretty awesome, but also a lot like eclipse. not sure I could justify owning both!

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 13, 2022

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Anyone have any tips for shipping games on geekmarket? I'm probably going to dump a couple games I'm literally never going to play again

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Hollandia posted:

I'll add my post in here also requesting more Betrayal 3 info:

I played it. It plays exactly like the last edition but the parts are slightly less fiddly. Thanks.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is miniature market just done now? I ordered something 2 weeks ago, no shipping and no response to phone calls or emails

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Are any of the eclipse 2e expansions worth getting? They all seem so minor.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm still hoping vanguard ships to backers sometime soon.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm glad he's talking about the real issues on his board gaming channel. Ben shapiros thoughts on being Jewish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Oh, well if SUSD have done a video on it, don't worry about it. It's sold out everywhere.

It's on the game designers website!