Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Suddenly Susan posted:

New thread woohoo! Has anyone had a chance to try out all the amazing looking games and expansions Capstone has/is about to be releasing?

Ark Nova
Boonlake
Maracaibo: The Uprising
Pipeline: Emerging Markets
Corrosion

I listened to the Game Brain episode where they covered some of them, but am looking for more opinions/experiences. Also, Would be great to include that podcast as a recommended listening in the OP.

Played Ark Nova 5 times now, 4 players, 3 players and 3 solo games. Really enjoying this one. The action mechanism works quite well and timing and getting X markers to power your actions are very important. All the games felt very different, thanks to the variable player boards and the boatload of cards. Sponsor cards feel amazing when they work and deciding which actions to upgrade never felt set in stone (although I always upgrade the action that lets you donate money for victory points. The rest depends on the cards I have.) I really like it and hope to get to play it more next year.

Corrosion I only played solo and that is a tight experience. Trying to get your engines up an running is a nice puzzle and when you turn your wheel and get to activate all your stuff it feels quite satisfying.
No real opinion on the multiplayer yet but again I hope I can get it on the table next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

l0lwhat posted:

So I managed to get my wife into board games with lighter games like canopy, cascadia and calico and stepped it up with wingspan and paleo. Im looking for a good 2 player light to medium weight euro, any suggestions? I do have fields of arle laying around but was thinking that an Uwe Rosenberg game might be too much.

I love Fields of Arle but everytime I show it to other players, even experienced ones, they really struggle with what they should be doing. I think the sandbox nature and the upgrade system trips people.

But once it clicked everyone really enjoyed it.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Gejimayu posted:

I want to get a couple worker placement games as I like the idea but haven't really clicked with one yet. I had and sold Agricola (found it to be lacking in fun choices), and I have Sons of Anarchy which I enjoy a bit. We mostly play deck building games or roll for the galaxy (WP adjacent i suppose?) for our medium weight euro fix. We play at 2 usually. I was thinking I'd try Viticulture as a strictly worker placement game and wanted to pick up one of the newer hybrid ones like everdell or arnak. Any recommendations? I prefer games with a bit more interaction usually. Concordia sounded interesting but doesn't seem great at 2?

Maybe the Pillars of the Earth WP game? It's from 2006 or so but for a lightweight game I really enjoy it.

Basically you have a phase where you sent some workers to get sand, stone or wood. You choose a ressource card and spend the necessary workers and take the card. You spend between 2-7 or so workers to get between 1-4 or so ressources. You have 14 in total.The phase ends when all the cards are taken or everyone passes. The workers you haven't used are placed on the main board and give you some money.

Then everyone puts 4 pawns (or 3 in a 4 player game) in a bag and then the starting player draws one. You then have the chance to pay 7 coins to choose a WP spot or a pass spot for free. Either way, another pawn is drawn and now it costs 6 coins to place it. The phase continues until every pawn is drawn and placed on the different WP spots on the main board. The pawns on the pass spot are placed for free in the order in which they were drawn.

The WP spots give you a variety of things like special ability or one time use card, protection from taxes, the ability to sell or buy more ressources, getting neutral workers for the ressource phase, getting a metal ressource and getting craftsmen.

In the third phase you can use your craftsmen. You start with 3 and can have up to 4, replacing the old one with new and more powerful ones. They let you convert your ressources into points, like trade in 3 sand, up to 3 times for 1 point each. Some need metal to work, some give you coins instead of points.

You do this for 6 rounds and you are done. Player with the most points wins, no additional end game scoring.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 24, 2022

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I don't think so.

Playing sponsor and animal cards gives you tickets and some of them will give you conservation points. Partner zoos, universities and additional workers also give you conservation points. So you will reach the end trigger. It may take a while but I don't think you can actively avoid it

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 9, 2022

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Eh, if you don't doodle around between other players turns and start to plan your next action 2 - 2 1/2 hours for a 4 player game is reasonable. The actions are so short, with playing animals taking the longest, and even then an action takes like 15 - 20 seconds. And the board state doesn't change that much IMO between turns so you don't have to constantly change your plans.

Solo it takes me like 30 minutes including setup.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

How's Founders of Gloomhaven? It's on sale at my flgs.

I played it 3 times with 3, 3 and 4 players and I quite enjoyed. Nice game flow and the semi cooperativ nature of the roads feels a bit tricky at first and you need a few rounds to get used to it but I would play it again any time.

I also quite enjoy the solo puzzle.

But yeah, it won't be everyones cup of tea and the theme can be a bit hard to get into.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anybody played Imperium: Classic and/or Imperium: Legends?

I'm looking for a new deck builder and the theme is intriguing.

The German edition just came out but the second hand market already seems to be flooded with it.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

homullus posted:

I have played Imperium: Classics, once. I hope to play it again. The rulebook that comes with Classics also addresses Legends, so I know something about both. Things I like are:

(1) it attempts to say something about what happens when a culture shifts to being a, well, civilization (i.e. based on cities), namely that some of the old ways hang around and some don't;
(2) it attempts to differentiate these changes by culture, with some never shifting from "barbaric" to "civilized," staying barbaric or starting civilized;
(3) the different cultures have different playstyles and goals;
(4) variable starts increase replayability;
(5) good, colorful art that varies through the cultures; and
(6) ancient world! yay!

Things I don't like are:

(1) set up is astonishingly fiddly, such that the rules for setup may even be longer than the core gameplay rules;
(2) the game itself has a lot of bookkeeping. The "real game" (per my one playthrough) is an exercise in cycling through your deck, and there are a number of different and I think inelegant ways to limit the speed with which you do so;
(3) the game takes as its starting point the idea that moving toward civilization and capitalism and imperialism are "advancement" (though it does somewhat acknowledge this);
(4) it's explicitly ahistorical (Olmecs v. Atlanteans? sure ok why not); and
(5) because of (1) and (2), it has a less favorable teaching-to-fun ratio.

Thanks.

I think I will try to get a game in before I might purchase it.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

You could also use the official Solitaire Modul to simulate a third player or to play solo.

The bot is easy to use and I like it quite a lot

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

FulsomFrank posted:

You guys are killing me. FINE, I'LL BUY IT.

Now convince me that I don't need a folded space insert to go along with it immediately.

The inlay that comes with the game is enough imo. Maybe a deckbox or two for all the cards. And i made one bag per player with their cards and pieces.

Setup takes like 5 minutes

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

It's a 1 / 2 player game where you build buildings in a grid and surround them by pathways, roads, railways and canals. When you surround a building you can activate it. Later you can connect the buildings with bridges and activate them again.

Ressources are tracked on a wheel like in Glass Road. You also turn it to produce higher level ressources.

There is a tabletopia modul but I haven't tried it.

Uwe himself compares it to FoA complexity wise. There are like 7 actions but there is a lot of depth coming from timing the building activations and so on. Backed the German version.

He wanted to try crowdfounding for this one as the doesn't think it will be that popular regarding player count and theme

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 3, 2022

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

There should only be 4 spots for upgrading your cards.
Second university, second partner zoo and 6 or so reputation. These are always available and when you reach 2 conservation points you can get an additional worker or upgrade a card

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Kazzah posted:

Question about Ark Nova: the rules mention that players get points based on their Final Scoring Card(s). Why is the S in brackets? How can players gain/lose Final Scoring Cards?

You can never have less then 1 final scoring card. you get 2 at the start of the game and as soon as a player reached 10 conservation points you have to discard one of them. That happens only once.

But there are, I believe 2, elephant cards that can give you an additional, random final scoring card.

And maybe the rules mean the sponsor cards as well? Some of the offer additional end game points.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Are you playing with Plan A?

I feel like the end game cards are better balanced with the asymetrical boards ( I think the designer also said something about that in an interview ). Like getting reputation is much harder on some of them and yeah, maxing it out on Plan A is trivial

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

High Tension Wire posted:

Has anyone played Fantasy Realms? Seems like a nice silly rummy-like filler for small gatherings. There is a deluxe version coming this fall with an expansion included and I'm thinking about ordering it.

I played like 8 or so games of it (3 with the new epansion cards) and enjoyed it enough. Rounds are fast so if you loose it doesn't really matter. Just play another round.

Only thing that can be annoying is the time the scoring can take. There is an app for it which speeds things up. Without it the scoring sometimes feels longer then the game itself.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So there will be a new big Uwe Rosenberg game in Essen this year.

You are trying to balance farms and Nature in Ghana and the theme is really intriguing.

Rules can be found here:

https://lookout-spiele.de/en/games/atiwa.html

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Imperial Steam is gonna get a German version and I'm really interested.

Any opinions on it?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Aramoro posted:

I played this last week, 3 players. We made a bunch of errors as it says you will in the rules but it was decent. It's very complex with loads of thematic things in there that make it feel nice. The route building gets difficult if you build your stations too earl (hElllllooo) and if one person gets to Trieste then that player is probably going to win.

If you like a game with a lot of hard choices and if you make any of those choices wrong you get no where then it's definitely pretty good. I'm going to say you NEED 2 or 3 plays to really start getting into the strategy of the game proper.

Sounds like a game for me.

Thanks

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

What other deckbuilding games do what Aeon's End does where you don't shuffle your deck?

I doubt Aeon's End was somehow the first deckbuilder to go "take your discard pile, turn it over, it's your draw pile, do not shuffle."

Faiyum kind of does that. You play your cards into your discard pile and you may not change the order.

When you decide to get your cards back you only take the top three cards and then you can pay money to get back more.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I think with the expansions it feels like more of the same, but in a good way.

The first one introduces a new type, Demons, and more mages, places of power, etc. I like this one quite a bit and the new stuff slides in pretty easily.

The second expansion introduces pearls. They are worth 1 VP each, but can be traded for essence. You start with one pearl, so the beginnnig of the game can speed up if you are willing to trade in your pearl. With pearls, the VP limit for victory is increased to 13, but with pearls being worth VP it doesn't really make the games last longer.

Haven't played with the second expansion that much more unfortunately, so I can't comment on card balance, etc.

But as far as I know, nothing in the expansions really speeds up the end game. But as I said, haven't played with the pearls that much.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

FulsomFrank posted:

I swear this comment could be applied to 90% of the euros I've played recently. I got to play Coffee Traders finally. The guy who owns it fuckin loves it and I always thought it looked interesting and love the publisher. 4+ hours later I just walked away shellshocked at having basically been playing a hyper mode version of Viticulture with a dozen different tracks to go up on that left almost no lasting positive impression on me. The only part I thought was novel was the (second set!) worker placement where you pick and choose which of the fields you want to make sure you get the most beans from with varying bonuses for who gets there first and how many people are there too. Everything else felt like someone took Homer's make-up gun except this time it was MWE mechanics and just opened both barrels up on the board.

Not sure if the term overproduced or overbaked is applicable here but I think my main takeaway was that the game was way too long for what it was and there were not many interesting decisions since a lot of what you are doing felt mostly programmed.

(My usual caveat of having only one play and sucking at the game applies.)

Oh man, and I just bought it :-(

I watched a video and the way the timing of actions the actions works and the harvesting and stuff is my kind of thing so I'm a bit anxious now

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I love that so much about MK.

I have no other game that offers this kind of "oh poo poo, an Orc" to "pfff, that City is gonna be toast in no time" feeling within a 2-3 hour time span.

Are there any other game that can match that?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

Spirit Island. You go from treading water as the encroaching threats close in to causing volcanoes and massive tidal waves that wash away cities.

Oh yeah, I have that one, but I haven't played it in a long time. And I have trouble bringing it to the table atm. I like the struggle at the beginning, but the ending always feels kind of anti climatic for me. But I never played with higher level adverseries. Maybe that helps

Don't know, maybe I have to give it a few more goes.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think he just meant in the sense you said it, that it's just "Here is a level, beat the level, move on to the next one." Which is fine by me.

And yeah I'm basically only into single player board games at this point due to all my friends being online, so it being more unwieldy the more players you have is fine by me. It's just gonna be me anyway.

Maybe these videos can help you get a picture of the game. I learned it with these and still enjoy Rickys playthroughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=268O9ye4P3c

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I'm looking for cooperative Euro style games and maybe there are some out there I haven't found yet.

I know of Pandemic style games but I'm not looking for that kind of game. Ameritrash style games or tower defense games are also not really my cup of tea.

I'm a big fan of the Invasion expansion for Orléans and the way everyone uses the normal game mechanics to achieve their goals.

I own CO²: Second Chance (and quite enjoy it) and a friend of mine has On Mars with it's coop expansion, but I haven't had a chance to play that one.

I know there is The Great Wall, but from the videos I saw it didn't really grab me and on Kickstarter there is Alynthia.

Are there any ones I'm missing?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

xiw posted:

We've been playing a bit of Viticulture World, and it's quite tricky

Definitely play a few games of Viticulture first before jumping straight back into this one though...
Not the biggest Stonemayer fan, but I will take a look. Thanks.

Magnetic North posted:

Obligatory The Crew or The Crew: Mission Deep Sea suggestion.

I've heard of the cube-collecting mechanics of the Pandemic-alikes as 'firefighting" games. I don't know how many core games will have that feel of "normal game mechanics" but that will probably depend. So far as other less-ameritrash-y non-'firefighting' games are concerned, you can look into Burgle Bros or its sequel, Paleo, and to a certain extent/extreme Frostpunk. Among those I have only played BB1, which I enjoyed.

I own the Crew, maybe should have mentioned that one :-D

Gonna take a look at Burgle Bros, it was in the back of my mind. Paleo I have heard mixed things about, I will see if maybe a friend has a copy.

Frostpunk could work, but I heard that it is quite hard. Not a problem, but I have to check out the mechanics.

Thanks

OperaMouse posted:

Have you tried Spirit Island for cooperative, or is that not euro enough?

I have, and it feels euro like, but also has the Pandemic feel, if not a lot more complex.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 28, 2023

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

edit: double post

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

interrodactyl posted:

Gloomhaven is a secret euro puzzler disguised as a dungeon crawler.

Got that one already.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

I kinda love Caverna. Sometimes I just want to play Agricola, but don't want to have to worry that my family is always on the brink of starving to death. Caverna is just perfectly chill and sometimes that's what I want to have out of a game.

Have you played Fields of Arle?

It is my go to feel good Uwe game and the expansion ist really good

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

Nah, never tried it. I'm not really that big into the big footprint euros anymore. I've never played Feast either.

Ok, that's fair. FoA is my favorite solo Uwe game so I was thinking that it might be your cup of tea.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

We have some slightly damaged games that aren't quite good enough to put on our shelf that we're getting to lay claim to, and I'm not sure what to get. I don't really have much in the way of real life friends so I'm mostly interested in single player games specifically. Of the games that at least can be played single player, my choices are: Atiwa, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Escape Plan, Great Western Trail 2e, Origins: First Builders, Rocketmen, and Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles.

So far I've listed my preferences as Bloodborne, Dark Souls, and Sword & Sorcery in that order. Those are the only ones that immediately appeal to me. Anyone got any feedback on if maybe those aren't great choices, or if there's something amazing I'm overlooking?

I really enjoyed my solo plays of Atiwa and I haven't beaten the challenges yet.

But I'm a sucker for Rosenberg games...

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Hm...

I have everything from aFfO, with a 3D Inlay, all in the base game box... Let's see how many changes there will be in the revised edition. I really don't want to buy everything again.

Danes as a stand alone game sounds interesting, I like the idea of nat having to add much more to the game as it is now.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

The big change for The Danes (and The Swedes, which is I think now an expansion for The Danes) is that the islands have been replaced by kaupangs and there's a good dozen of them. So it looks like colonisation may be more important.

Thanks.

I will get the Danes and kaupangs instead of islands sounds interesting.

Any more infos about the revised edition, besides the new action board? I think most of it will be changed occupation cards, right? Don't see any other point in changing anthing else imo.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Poopy Palpy posted:

In theory, if all of the expansion cards had the icon and if your main way of getting cards was via the market. Since neither is the case the expansion will inevitably leave the deck watered down.

There will be however new universities which let you dig for a specific kind of animal.

The fish will also have effects which trigger of other fish being played, so hopefully we will get some card draw from that.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Last one I really wanted was Come Sail Away! from Saashi and Saashi, which is a Mancala like game where you try to sort different colored meeple into their respective rooms.

It plays really nicely and I enjoy the artstyle. I couldn't get my copy at Spiel so I ordered it fron Japan and it took like 3 days to get to Germany.

Otherwise there is like nothing at the moment that I'm interested in.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So, after reading all this 18xx chat and looking at my unplayed copy of 1830 with tears in my eyes, I decided to look for a shorter 18xx.

I stumpled upon 18MS and it seems like one of the shortest while still having most of the 1830 rules. The fixed round number and the predictable train rust seems like it could be used to ease new players in without having to spend 5-6 hours on 1830.

Any thoughts on that or is there a better option while still offering a 2 - 2 1/2 play time?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

dishwasherlove posted:

I really like MS for the reasons you stated. It is still an outlier in the XX pathenon with a heap of random rules on top of 1830 (you can contribute personal cash to train buys for a cost, D and plus trains, inital double tile lays, triple and quadruple with the privates, New Orleans & Chattanooga bonus, 70% ownership) but I think if someone experienced was driving the turn track and the phase changes it would go quick. And it only plays to 4p (3 is probably best).

Yeah, I think those little extra rules would still not overcomplicate it. I watched a playthrough and it seemed pretty straight forward, my buddies, who enjoy euros quite a lot, should not have any problems.

2-4 is perfect.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

dishwasherlove posted:

I'm always happy to play it (usually online) but it does tend to deveop a little samey given the limited companies (at least at 4) because you can't execute some of the staple 30 maneuvers like floating a second company to bail yourself out, suitcasing and and other stock shenanagins. I reckon if you play a physical train game more than 3 times you are probably doing better than most people in that niche.

I think it will not overstay its welcome. But having the possibility to show it to my group, teaching them the basics one on one most of the time. We all have children and whatnot and can't always meet up with everyone. So having an 18xx that plays in 2 hours, teaches most of the rules and then we can arrange a longer day for a full 1830 game would be perfect.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah if you know what you are doing, sure, but like if someone asking for an introduction to 18xx lists 2 player as part of being perfect needs to be told to not do that

Well, the plan is to play it with more people of course...

Just looking for a short one that supports two players cause you know, sometimes we are not more then that. And it is really just to show off some of the mechanics and stuff, not to have a balanced game or so. And if I got to play it with everyone in the group, a full 4 player game should of course come next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah do not play 18xx at 2 players. I cannot emphasise this enough. If you only have two, play a different game.

Ok OK, I won't :(