Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Anyone have Pest and has played it yet?
Every time I get it to the table to solo learn, I end up giving up upon noticing the errors in the rulebook and realizing I need to clear even more space for an 2 hour euro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

My biggest irritation with Gloomhaven is rather the absolute bloat.
I would really appreciate they had spent the effort on the game being easier to set up and tear down with an insert, maybe less annoying dungeon building system and how about a god drat element board that fits all the elements or the bottom insert that can actually organize all the cards? Instead the stupid achievement stickers take up more space than the entire element board and a small forest died to make the monster cards that could've easily been a dice and a single card listing their abilities, like battletech hit table. Not to mention in at a time where recycling and using less resources is more important than ever, a large amount of effort is put in for the game to be played once and not be resellable.

I also agree with the game having as much frustration and unfairness as good times. We very often get stuck on dungeons because black imps or other creatures like that draw insane amounts of shields, curse everyone and heal friends. Bonus if they are being spawned en masse. Meanwhile your summons don't level with you, can't do anything when they spawn, they exhaust with the summoner, you can't choose when they go, their cards always go into lost and they aren't even controlled by you. Why even base some characters around summons who are so nerfed into the ground that they rarely survive beyond a few rounds or deal no meaningful damage?

Another issue is the retire system making your party occasionally unplayable. Even if you wish to polish a turd character with card stickers, the cost and limitations are really high and you will be forced to lose the character anyway. The only solution is to spoil the game and find out what are the good classes when you pick journey cards .

While I enjoy gloomhaven a lot, overall it's like skyrim. wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle and despite fundamental, huge issues it's claimed to be a masterpiece. I think its success is more to do with it being the only game of its type most people have experienced rather than excellent game design.
I can't recommend GH to anyone over oathsworn or JOTL, both of which are objectively less masochistic experiences.

haddedam fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 3, 2024

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I'm playing a summoner and we don't have the "meta party that makes the game fun". Honestly the class is better as a healer and giving an extra move to the beastmaster every once in a while. When used to spawning weak rear end summons that can't solo even the weakest enemy due to lack of scaling, and get left behind once you are done with a single room, I just ended up with short and frustrating games.

I hope in ed2 summon cards have stats that are modified by players level, they are allowed to move before or after and you get to control them.
Any of those would buff a mechanic that is so nerfed into oblivion, that there are only a few edge cases where the summons are not any% exhaust speedrun strats.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

xiw posted:

I think this is the #1 thing - any chance you have to keep a summon alive as a player in a group with summons, it's probably a good idea, because each round they survive multiplies their total effectiveness. If I'm going to survive the mission anyway, then throwing a card to absorb a hit as a player is a better deal than letting a summon die because it didn't cost an action to get it out in the first place.

it certainly helps that some of the Frosthaven summons are *totally adorable* though.

Early when 4hp dmg 3 is comparable to enemies, yes.
Late game almost all melee summons are essentially a F tier lost card that will attack one enemy, then die and leave you with 8 cards left.
Youre much better off playing summoner as an healer then. The poison spitter and slow curser can have niche use. For a class based around showcasing how good summons can be. If summoner classes best summon card is better used as a stamina potion and rest give you a choice between wasting cards so your lemmings can do less than 10% total damage of that dungeon or to be a pretty good healer, I don't think the class works as intended.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKeen posted:

Modiphius is making a Mass Effect board game by Eric Lang and Calvin Wong.

https://www.polygon.com/tabletop-games/24090070/mass-effect-board-game-release-date-price

I wonder how they will translate a 90% story based experience onto the living room table.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Being experienced in reddit, discord and bgg, you should never ask a woman their bust size, a man if their watch is genuine or if a kickstarter game is actually any good.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

https://gamefound.com/en/projects/gf9/dune
Gale force 9 is doing a premium edition of the best dune game.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

!Klams posted:

I'm hype as gently caress.

Although, I'm really bummed seeing all the comments asking to 'fix' the wonky stuff in the game. The game is good 'because' of the wonky stuff, not in spite of it. It's what makes it so DUNE and not just, a game with Dune theming. What "People" want, and demand, (as seen in the gamefound comments) is the Jaime Stegmeyer version. That's what people ask for. That's why he's so popular, because "People" are idiots. (No one individual is, though.)

I checked comments too cause I live getting angry at them but it was mostly stuff I want:
Clear rules on rulebook and components, one way to play with a simplified first game variant, nicely stackable troops, no movie screenshot or movie based art but less bland character art than in the boardgame.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

I'm going to wait for Rise of IX to show up because that expansion improved a lot.

I thought default imperium was already full of charisma, uniqueness, negotiations and talent. Also according to most fans on bgg, they were happy to see dune boardgame done right the first time.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Did gloomhaven again, and we got saw to join our party. Sadly didn't change stage calculation so we were throwing attack 2s at shield 3-5 opponents entire second dungeon while trying to keep an npc from doing suicide by cop.

Circles remains best used as a glorified vet while the beast master and triangles argue "summons are great, actually" when their summon are exceptions (and i'm frankly shocked designers allow them to remain in the game as they are useful and even fun)

We played for over 7 hours and managed 2 scenarios and a half hour lunch break. Had a good time but can't wait for gloomhaven to end so we can do Oathsworn.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Race is good but it stops just as it finally gets going.
Same with gaia.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Noble knight cured my baldness and got me Leaving Earth

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Buck Wildman posted:

leaving earth probably made you bald again but it's good to live life in the moment

It was high frontier that gave me the baldnessleaving earth just gave me ED.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Im in the "lovely first game" club for eclipse 2nd ed. But i was told it was super ti4 that is better in every way, with hookers and blackjack. So far the most impressive thing has been the insert.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

SithDrummer posted:

Yeah, I haven't played either eclipse or TI, but I thought the general consensus was that TI is the game you set aside a day to play through.

Ti can be played in around 8 hours with full player count just like dune 2019 doesn't take all day.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

the holy poopacy posted:

So what did you teach to your 9yo potato man?

No, I think he bought his 9 year old potato a man.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I wish board games were a more popular niche. Every trad game community has it hidden somewhere underneath all the dnd, warhammer and mtg discussions.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Man i remember second time getting into board games 3 years ago and finding out how amazing they can be with manmad 2. But 6 playthroughs with 4 groups later I never want to open that box again as it's a cynical attempt to shoehorn in computer gamings awful mtx and dlc models.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Azran posted:

Really curious to know what game you're speaking about lol

Mansions of maddness 2nd e

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I enjoy my solo games where I play against myself and take actions that would benefit the side I'm currently on the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Gf pressured me to get Coimbria since it's a type of game we do not have yet. Looking forward to it since it seems good and nobody has ever talked about it do maybe can introduce people to something new.