Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Played Spirit Island for the first time with a couple of friends tonight. We just did the basic intro game and it was pretty fun! We won by getting to the third level of terror and killing all the cities. I can see this game becoming much, much harder in future. I played the Shadow guy that makes tonnes of fear, and it seemed really difficult until I got the 'just nuke anything next to a jungle you have presence in' power.

Then we did some Mansions of Madness and drat I love that game. We hosed up solving the mystery - we got enough evidence that there was a 50/50 chance that we could guess the answer and we chose poorly - but still completed the investigation. So we got the bad ending. Also I was kung fu badass Lily Chen and I never fought anything for the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

Speaking of Unfathomable, does it do a better job than Battlestar Galactica of supporting player counts other than five?

Out of the box, BSG isn't very good unless you have exactly five players. I've tried some online/house rules for re-balancing the game to better support other player counts, and nothing has felt quite right.

The cultist mechanic replaces the sympathiser in 4/6p games and is much better imo.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

potatocubed posted:

Hey, does anyone in this thread want my copy of Fog of Love? It's in good condition but mostly unplayed, hence why I'm getting rid of it. Free within the UK, cost of postage outside it.

If I don't hear anything in a few days it's off to the charity shop.

E:

If by 'this' you mean 'a house big enough for all the games I've ever wanted' then yes, please.

I'd be interested!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bad Kickstarters, huh? Guess who backed the Divinity Original Sin board game two years ago, which has now changed beyond all recognition, including the designer being fired and slapped with an NDA, and still hasn't got any indication of ever being finished?

Also I can't get a refund because I no longer have the credit card I paid with. Awesome stuff!

Apparently they'll refund to a PayPal account with the same address that you backed with, but several people have said that they requested this and their pledge was cancelled but no money showed up.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

I had no idea this was such a disaster. I actually saw the playtest version of it in person with the original designer at a local con before everything went crazy so this was way back either before the KS or right after it launched? For me a licensed KS is an immediate red flag.

If you know more about what's going on I'd love to see a write-up.

From what i understand, Larian felt the original game was too complex and they wanted something simpler that would appeal to more people. Not sure how true this is, when you consider their video games.

But anyway, the original designer has been slapped with an NDA so there are only rumours.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Well yeah but many groups will own 2-3 games and that's it - they like what they have. Scythe is a pretty solid game on the wider scale of games, even if there are hundreds of games better than it, there are so many more that are worse.

E.g. if your choice is Scythe or Talisman, what do you pick?

Talisman, because then I can have fun, silly hijinks in a game I know is hilariously unbalanced, generally while drinking beer with friends.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Play Talisman with dark fate rules to make it much meaner and funnier.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My group has a handicap for me in Talisman: if i draw the Sprite character, everyone gangs up on me and murders me immediately.

I feel this is fair.

(I unironically love talisman, if you can't tell. It's definitely in the top 10 of the things I own).

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Crackbone posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back...

I have all the expansions. It takes up my entire 6' x 3' table for four players so you have play standing up in order to reach your piece. Game owns.

A couple of the expansions are a bit poo poo, though. Especially the Dragon one which makes an already very long game take even longer with a bunch of unnecessary extra complications.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My mate has the neoprene mat for nemesis that replaces the board. It's good because, unlike the board, it isn't insanely glossy so you can actually see things on it without needing to play in twilight.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I might back that levitating dice kickstarter thing because it seems like a fun thing to waste money on.

Then I will use it exclusively for Talisman.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dice Hospital is really neat.

This isn't in response to anything anyone said, I just wanted to throw it out there because I really enjoyed this game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mayveena posted:

So if he supervised the game and gave it his blessing, I'm not agreeing that the game could be considered anti semitic. I'm not saying folks won't feel it's anti semitic but I'm not buying that a Rabbi that supervised this game would give his blessing to a game that is anti semitic.

There are countless instances of religious figures endorsing all sorts of dreadful things that are the antithesis of their religious beliefs.

I'm not saying that this particular Rabbi isn't being sincere, mind you, just that I don't feel that's a great argument.

Anyway, I have more games arriving tomorrow! Finally getting Wolfenstein from the Kickstarter I backed two years ago. Co op stealth dungeon crawler with tonnes of minis. Also ordered Detective Season One; a friend and I have been playing through Detective Modern Crime and I've really enjoyed it. Virtually zero replayability but a genuinely engaging mystery.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Kosmos Adventure Games are also fun and similar in genre to the Unlock games. They play more like a point and click adventure, where you have to combine items with other items or characters or locations etc. to solve puzzles.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 7, 2022

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Morpheus posted:

Me buying board games: Haha yes, yes! More boardgames, yes!

Me having to pack boardgames to move house and taking a million goddamn moving boxes to do so: What the gently caress, this sucks, gently caress!

I own 98 games and dozens more boxed expansions. I really should have a clear out at some point.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Playing Talisman tonight hell yeah

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Two hours in. Nobody has died and nobody is close to winning.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

We stopped playing Talisman after 4 hours when nobody had made it to the middle. None of us had managed to level up more than twice either. I still love Talisman because it is so utterly stupid - this is pretty much the same reason that I enjoy Riverdale.

We also played another game, I don't know what it's called and it was all in French, but the general idea was you have a bunch of transparent cards with abstract images on them (like stick figures and shapes) and you had to assemble them to make a picture that looked like whatever clue was on the card. All of us except the French guy used Google Lens to translate the clue cards and it works really well. It was a great party game.

Also tried Wolfenstein, which is kind of interesting. It's a dungeon crawler with a bajillion minis, where the gimmick is you have to be stealthy - ending your turn in the same room as someone else generates noise, as does fighting (unless you have a silenced weapon or a melee weapon that lets you do a stealth execution), and noise causes enemies to activate. You have to have exactly 4 characters in play, though, there's no scaling for other numbers which is a shame.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I really enjoy Western Legends but I feel like duelling is overpowered as hell. If you assemble a decent hand of cards you can get tonnes of points per turn by picking on a weaker player. If you lose the duel, they get no points.

I kinda want to just limit PvP to arrests and robberies because you can't do those repeatedly.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Aramoro posted:

Just wait till you discover the broken strategies.

Well there is the ridiculous loop you can do with mining/bank/cabaret if you get a specific card combo in hand but in my experience you do that once and then everyone beats the poo poo out of you forever because you just spunked off your good cards.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I just picked up the expansion for Taverns of Tiefenthal, which is one of my favourite games. There's a wine cellar and guest rooms for nobles, awesome! Excited to play this.

Also got the expansion for Star Wars: Outer Rim that was suddenly released a couple of weeks ago. I like sandboxy games as a chill activity where nobody really cares who wins, it's more about the journey we all had (see: Western Legends, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Talisman) and I enjoyed the base game so I'm looking forward to playing this.

Finally, I got the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Bureau of Investigation. I've never played any of the SHCD series before, but this one is Lovecraft themed and given how much I love Mansions of Madness and also Detective: A Modern Crime Story, I'm sure I'm going to have a blast with this one.

(I also did an all-in on both seasons of Final Girl on Gamefound, because I love horror films. I have spent way too much money on board games this week).

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mayveena posted:

I FOMO'd carefully acquired Outer Rim and its expansion, Unfinished Business. Please tell me this is a good game :).

I played this on Saturday. It's pretty good. It's a bit like Western Legends in that it's pretty much a sandbox where you do whatever you fancy doing, but it's not as fiddly as WL (especially with expansions) and similarly not quite as free.

The expansion adds loads, literally twice as many cards, and the very cool optional favours/debt system which is very handy for completing multi stage jobs without having to have the perfect crew (which was a problem in the base game imo). Being able to warp from one end of the board to the other is also extremely useful.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I have a pool table with a wooden cover for when it's not in use, so this became my defacto gaming and dining table. I would love a fancy gaming table with all the compartments, but that would mean giving up being able to play pool.

Unless someone makes a convertible gaming pool dining table. Then I'm going to spend a great deal of money.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I like Arabian Nights, but I reduce the number of points to win (or set a hard time limit) and cycle the time of day whenever someone completes a quest. The default rules for cycling the time of day make it really difficult to see huge chunks of stuff. Also get out of jail free after 3 turns.

But then I like Talisman and Western Legends for the same reason: it's fun to just bumble around and have stupid random poo poo happen and not really care that much about the 'game'.

Outer Rim is a much tighter experience and a better game, but a worse storytelling experience. Really needs the expansion though; can't imagine going back to vanilla because it's a pretty huge improvement.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

inferis posted:

Every time I play, we just play until we’ve had enough, I don’t think there’s any real reason to “finish” a game of it.

Yeah that's not a bad shout. Provided I get an opportunity to shout "drink!" when I encounter a fire or a landslide, I'm probably satisfied. That and randomly assault people for no reason.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

OmegaGoo posted:

We set a hard time limit of two hours.

Yeah I usually do 15 points or two hours.

I also really enjoy The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, which has about as little gameplay as possible. But it depends on who is in the group as not everyone likes storytelling, some people like hard mechanics and no imagination etc.

Then I've got one regular who hates storytelling games but likes imagining things for himself, so he prefers Arkham Horror card game to Mansions of Madness because the latter shows too much for his liking.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Played the new Marvel Dice Throne tonight and really enjoyed it. Some minor confusion about when certain effects are resolved but otherwise pretty seamless; pick a character's box, follow the simple setup instructions within and go.

Match 1: Thor Vs Black Panther
Both fairly low complexity characters. Thor hits a lot, sometimes multiple times per turn, but BP gains buff tokens every time he gets hit. This worked out poorly for Thor as he was only doing one damage at a time, several times per round, but his main attacks hit hard and he has really good defence. BP has very little damage prevention but does a lot of retaliation damage.

Result: Black Panther won with 6 health left. Pretty close!

Match 2: Loki Vs Dr Strange
Two of the most complicated characters here! Loki had a lot of shenanigans going on to prevent attacks, and many that happened were negated or reduced by his illusion ability. Strange has no cards to upgrade his abilities, but has a LOT of cards to just change or reroll dice. He can also draw extra cards a lot.

Result: Strange won with 23 health left. This might make him sound overpowered but Loki had some seriously bad luck on a couple of turns where he ended up doing literally nothing during his attack, even without Strange changing any of his dice. This is seriously crippling because Loki not only didn't hurt his opponent, but also didn't gain any of his very useful status powers.

Anyway, very fun game. Not very quick to play the first time because you have to learn and remember all of your powers (some are forced, like Thor must throw mjolnir sometimes) but I think repeated playthroughs will be pretty fast.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Played Siege of Runedar today. Bad name, good game. Co op deck builder where you're all dwarves trying to tunnel through a mountain to escape your crumbling fort with as much gold as possible while an army of orcs and trolls besieges you. Also there are goblins in the mountain that you need to fight or bribe.

Really enjoyed this. The box is the board: you have a 3d fort with three storeys (ground, fort walls and the towers to shoot approaching enemies), and it just looks really cool. Basic gameplay is to use your multi purpose cards to generate resources to craft upgraded cards, fight off enemies in melee or ranged combat or - most importantly - dig. The enemy spawns get progressively more difficult to deal with as the game goes on, so it's vital to keep the momentum up with the digging but also fighting in key areas to stop you getting overwhelmed. Every spawn also has a chance of moving the orcs further into the fort. You can't make resources if they're invading the workshop areas.

Whenever an orc teaches the middle, they vanish but they steal one of your 20 pieces of gold. Losing all your gold is one of many loss conditions (the only win condition is digging through the mountain and defeating all 10 goblins therein).

We played four players on normal difficulty and finished with 15 gold, which is a great score but we were very close to two of the loss conditions.

It was also only like £35 which is pretty cheap for games of this size. All the players and enemies have double sided cardboard standees (nice touch that you can see the front and back of everything) but the box/board is the highlight of the presentation. Super tempted to buy some orc, troll, goblin and dwarf minis to replace the standees. There's also a catapult and a siege tower, so if I get a nice Christmas bonus I'll visit games workshop and have a browse.

I can see this getting played a lot with my friends, because we love co op but some find things like Spirit Island a bit overwhelming. This is simple enough for most people that aren't totally new to the hobby, I think, but difficult enough to be satisfying.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Memnaelar posted:

Such mixed feelings on Return to Dark Tower now being available to buy again.

On the one hand, it's over-produced generic fantasy tripe where the flavor text is graham cracker at best. I played it at a friend's house once and thought, "There's not a whole lot of actual game here. This is basically Pandemic: Dark Tower."

...and yet, there's a weird allure to the all of that over-produced fantasy tripe. I sort of love the Tower and the App, even as I recognize that a better game might exist without them. Yet, not a better game I would be thinking as hard about buying as I am this one now that it's back on Backerkit.

Owners or non-owners, feel free to course-correct me before I make a decision I'll regret -- I'm just not sure whether backing or not backing is that decision. ;-)

I just ordered the base game, on the fence about the expansions. I know it looks generic as all hell but man, the tower gimmick got me. I know it will hit my table plenty of times (we have had a lot of mileage out of Talisman, after all).

Has anyone got experience using the app on a phone? All other app games I have (Descent 2e and Legends, Imperial Assault, Mansions of Madness and Gloomhaven) we play using a mini pc and a monitor, which doesn't appear to be an option here. I'd rather not buy a tablet that I would literally only use for this one game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I bought Journeys in Middle Earth and all the expansions for my birthday and loved the first two missions we played. The deck system for skill checks is very cool and is a significant enough change to make the game feel not like a reskinned Mansions of Madness. The first mission we had a little time to spare but we were hounded by enemies, so we missed a side quest. The second I survived two last stand tests while fighting the boss and failed the third, so I was out; the game came down to a single skill test that we thankfully passed. Absolutely stunning minis and the app is very good.

Also invited the neighbours (non gamers) round for birthday drinks and we ended up playing MicroMacro Crime City, which was a huge hit. We did the tutorial and three missions of different difficulty levels. Room full of inebriated adults hunched over a table, carefully placing various coloured tokens to track different leads.

Regular group still working our way through Arkham Horror card game, playing Edge of the Earth on hard difficulty and somehow doing incredibly well. No trauma for either of us and everyone is alive apart from people the story forced us to kill. Lily Chen was my favourite in Mansions of Madness and she doesn't disappoint here!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rockman Reserve posted:

Edge of the Earth is seriously such an amazing campaign, it's really rekindled my excitement over the LCG entirely. MJ is a genius for the stuff she's doing with the existing game's framework.

It's fantastic. There are so many decisions to make that feel important or might give us bonuses later - this was also why it was kind of gutting to miss out on a sidequest in Journeys in Middle Earth: you get good rewards for achieving things other than the main objective.

My only complaint is that, well, it's in Antarctica. So we can't do any separate missions without destroying the narrative. I've played Night of the Zealot, The Circle Undone and Dunwich Legacy so far and all of those felt like it was fine to insert other missions in at various points. But this is a very, very minor criticism of an amazing campaign.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Not a pure deck builder, because there's also dice drafting and placement, but I absolutely love Taverns of Tiefenthal.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

Taverns might be one of those games where they left all of the fun stuff as later modules because the one time I played it (with rule-book suggested "first game" set up), it seemed utterly pointless.

I enjoy the base game enough but yeah the extra modules and the expansion add a lot more interesting stuff to do, with guest rooms, wine cellar, entertainers, priests and stuff

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Morpheus posted:

Introduce a new board gamer the same way I do, with a copy of Dungeon Lords and an hour of explanations on its mechanics.

Talisman with all the expansions and permadeath.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Spermando posted:

We're looking for a long-ish game with RPG elements and someone recommended LOTR Journey to Middle Earth. Has anyone played it? How complicated is it and how hard to set up?

I'm playing this at the moment and absolutely love it. It's not complicated generally, there are a few slightly fiddly rules to remember about terrain but pretty much everything else important is summarised on the back of the rulebook.

Once you've set up your characters (pick one, get their deck and combine it with a set of standard cards, one random weakness and a starting profession deck) there is basically zero setup as the app tells you which map tiles to grab as necessary. It's important to keep all the bits in the box organised though, or you'll be rooting around for stuff. All the map tiles have numbers on so just make sure to keep them in order. Takes me less than a minute to unpack everything required to play, even with all the expansions.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

Too Many Bones

I like Too Many Bones but it's not an epic campaign like Journeys in Middle Earth.

My one real gripe with JiME is that you are stuck with the same number of players for the whole campaign, unlike Gloomhaven and Descent: Legends of the Dark. It's otherwise fantastic. I love Mansions of Madness, and this is similar in gameplay but campaign based and there are no dice; your success is determined from the deck you build.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Arzaac posted:

Is Too Many Bones good? I demo-ed it at Gencon, but I felt like it was way too fiddly with too many reference sheets for not enough depth.

It's very good but the rulebook is dogshit. The game really isn't that fiddly when you know how to play, but the rules are spread across multiple reference sheets which makes it annoying to learn.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Spermando posted:

Funny you should say that, we've been thinking of getting Mansions of Madness as an alternative.

Mansions really needs expansions in order to shine. Same might be true of JiME, no idea because I'm an insane person and bought everything at once.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Beyond the Gates involves a VHS board game like Atmosfear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Not a Children posted:

Hello thread! I'm on the hunt for new co-op games. My group has gone through the typical gamut of cooperative games and we're looking for more.

I really enjoy Siege of Runedar. The box is the board, a really cool 3d castle. It's not very heavy, my 12 year old nephew grasped it pretty well.

Mansions of Madness is great if you don't mind app driven stuff, and Journeys in Middle Earth is similar but is campaign based (unfortunately you're stuck with the same number of characters for the whole campaign, so you need a regular group). Both are expensive though and really benefit from expansions.

I just picked up Roll Camera and am playing that tonight. Looks like loads of fun.

Just realised you were primarily after legacy, sorry!