Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'd throw in Noble Knight as a good retailer as well.
https://www.nobleknight.com/
I'm biased, since they're local, but they have a decent selection and also have a huge catalog of used and older OOP stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’d never get anyone to play it, and I would be terrible at it if I did, but I would play For-Ex just for the experience. Plus imagine how hard you could out nerd someone when they talk about heavy games they play.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Maybe this came up already, but that new version of Ra looks really good. Is there a good comparison to other games, as in if I already have Game X then I don’t need this?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm sure it's come up before, but is Oathsworn any good? The kickstarter for teh repring launches soon, and I was thinking of getting it, since the theme is very much my jam.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I know this has come up before, but are there recommendations for board game card sleeves, or just get whatever is cheap?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've got a Spirit Island question. If I just want to add a 5th player to the base game, assuming I have the Jagger Earth expansion, do I just need to add the extra board and another color of player tokens?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Just got back from a long weekend of playing games with friends. We got an AirBnB rental and spent 2 and a half days playing board games. Everyone brought games, so I don't remember everything off the top of my head, but I took Istanbul, Spirit Island and Kemet: Blood and Sand, and we got in 5 player games of all three. Spirit Island at 5 gets pretty wild towards the end game, with everything that can happen.

Related, but what do people use to store that game, with all the expansions? I got the Folder Space insert that holds the base game with Branch & Claw, but I didn't know if there was anything else good out there. Broken Token has a big storage crate, but I didn't know if they were still run buy a sex pest.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

sirtommygunn posted:

It's my lucky day for people reminding me about crowdfunding campaigns about to expire, thanks!

That reminds me, I went in for $1, which gives me access to the Pledge Manager. Does that mean that once the pledge manager opens, I'd be able to upgrade my pledge to any of the other levels? I've never back a project in that way before, so it's never come up.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Saltpowered posted:

Thirding this. Everything I bought from Tower Rex has been very high quality. Easy to assemble, looks great, and arrives quickly. Their prices are also pretty comparable to other companies even though they are shipping direct from Ukraine. I have a laser cutter and there are several things I will by from them rather than design/cut myself just because their items are just so well designed. They are pretty much my go-to for organizers.

That's the one I ended up going with. It shipped already but since it's coming to the US from Ukraine, I'm guessing it might take a little while, which is fine.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Sokani posted:

I just got charged for GMT's Mr. President, which hit p500 in 2015. Hope it doesn't suck!

I just got notice for Border Reivers from the P500 program too. Guess they had a bunch of stuff hit production at the same time.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

For recs I'd say look into the classic Uwe games (Agricola, A Feast for Odin, etc), Keyflower*, Dungeon Petz*, and Beyond the Sun. You could also check out Targi for a 2p only WP game. Small box, cheap, but with real depth and a novel WP mechanic.

* No solo modes, but all of the above are great at 2.

I'd look at Hallertau as well, along with Fields of Arle if you want a purely 2 player game.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I finally got a new iPad to replace my elderly 8 year old model. What are some good board games I should check out to put on it for trips?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Got my copy of Oathsworn in today. I just got the base standee version and it’s still a pretty substantial box. Looks like a ton of cards to deal with. I haven’t even started organizing all of it yet.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

My wife and I have played through the first two chapters of Oathsworn and I'm really enjoying it so far. We're still getting the hang of all the rules, and have found a few things we got wrong, but the rulebooks are actually pretty well written. The companion app is great, and I much prefer it to having to read sections from a book.
I got the basic version, with standees instead of minis and I do not regret my choice at all. They do just fine and I don't have to figure out where the hell to put a giant box full of models I'll use once each over the course of the campaign.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So every year some friends and I get an AirBnB somewhere and spend a long weekend playing board games. Usually we end up playing a lot of different games, but we only end up playing them once. We're trying something new this year, and going for fewer games, but playing them more then once to get more out of them. I'm trying to figure out what to bring this year, so I thought I'd check with the great hive mind. Here's the criteria for what I'm considering:

1. Has to be good at 5 players, since that's how many of us there are.
2. Playable under 3 hours, preferably around 2.
3. Actually available to buy.

Who's got thoughts?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Concordia was actually on my list since I own it already. Is it worth getting any of the expansions?

I've got Pax Pamir as well but haven't played it yet. I'll check out the others as well.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Commander Jebus posted:

Played the first chapter in Oathsworn yesterday, 3 players with me controlling a full character and a companion to round out the free company. No experience with the game before from anyone. Not too much to add that hasn't already been said; its a beast to set up, the app integration is actually pretty cool and the narration is well done by James Cosmo. I did think that the story portion would last a little longer, but it seems we accidentally did the almost the most efficient path through the investigation phase. It did result in an extra item bonus at the end which was nice, but we probably should have investigated more parts of the town. The moving around the map portion of the story phase was well done and gives the city a real sense of place, combined with the narrative and the (optional) ambient soundtrack.

The boss battler phase itself was good, albeit not as challenging as I was expecting (none of us got below 50% HP), but since none of us really knew what we were doing I can probably chalk that up to beginners luck. I'll need a few more fights to get a handle on the system, but as has been said its way less puzzle-y than something like Gloomhaven, in a way that I greatly appreciate as a beer-and-pretzels-and-miniatures kind of way. Mostly because I think I will able to get people back to continue to play this game in a way I was never able to with Gloomhaven.

Also looking forward to breaking into the next chapters' boss boxes, as I have no idea what is coming and that's a very neat concept as far as boardgames go.

Pictured: One giant rat about to die

This was pretty much our experience with chapter 1 as well, including feeling like we accidentally skipped parts of the story. We're only up to chapter 2 and the boss battles have been more complex so far. We've been trying to figure out ability combos and optimized turn orders to not get wrecked. Our only issue so far is rules interactions can be a little unclear.

edit: Typo! I meant we're through Chapter 3.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

At least it wasn't a Private Equity firm I guess. Also, I had no idea Loungefly was a Funko brand.