Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Hell yea more Spirit Island discussion. My wife and I played for a little bit never really got comfortable with the higher difficulty scenarios because we always wanted to try different spirit combinations. And our few attempts at using some of the more complex spirits led to some ugly defeats which soured her a bit on the game.

I did get promo packs 1 and 2 as a secret Santa gift so I should bust it out and try to play against the Swedes or Scots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I posit that the OP does not have enough Vlaada.

Galaxy Trucker is the game that got my wife to finally like board games. The ship building part of the game is always a hilarious mad dash to throw a trash heap together, and watching them suffer through asteroid fields and pirate attacks is equally fun. It is not a particularly deep or strategic game but we love it anyway. We have the expansions but rarely get to use them because it’s been so much fun introducing new people to the game.

Space Alert is also a delightfully unique game — I really don’t have any other real-time decision-making games in my collection. It can be tense and stressful but goddamn is it satisfying when everyone works together and the ship actually survives. And when it doesn’t, it leads to a lot of great “wait, I thought you were going to — oh noooooooo” moments.

Tash Kalar is one of the best two player games out there. I’ve only played with the base factions, and it definitely takes a few plays to start to understand the long-term strategies for success. But once it clicks, oh man, it’s a tense battle of back-and-forth maneuvering that really rewards meticulous piece placement and planning for your opponent’s most likely move.

Mage Knight is a phenomenal concept but unfortunately hits my limit of “there are too many rules and moving parts to make this manageable on a tabletop”. It’s a huge bummer that a Steam or iOS version was never developed because it really is a genius game that just takes too goddamn long to set up and play through. Still, there really isn’t anything else that captures the feeling of being a badass wizard accumulating powers and followers to raid dungeons and lay waste to cities. Sadly it suffers because the game is so tight on action and resource management that every turn is a puzzle to be solved. It’s very rewarding to solve those puzzle, but the game takes forever.

I haven’t played Dungeon Lords or Dungeon Petz but I hear they’re pretty good?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Poopy Palpy posted:

I was about to say I've played Farkle, but then I remembered that no, I just know a guy who keeps some solo cups in a Farkle box to use as a Liar's Dice kit.

Liar’s Dice is a great bluffing game that can be played while pleasantly drunk. Or belligerently drunk for that matter.

Farkle can go to hell along with Yahtzee.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

If you’re routinely burning cards early, you will definitely run out of cards and exhaust before the scenario ends. Everything in Gloomhaven is a resource — items, HP, cards, etc. Using them all to their full effect is the key to success. Knowing when to take a hit and when to bail is one of the skills that you have to develop. Like, Invisibility seems like a pretty mediocre ability until you realize that if you go invisible in a doorway, no melee monsters can get through and you can buy some time to rest/buff before going into the room. You also learn the monsters’ typical abilities and learn when you can safely hang back.

I’ve played a disgusting amount of Gloomhaven, which I know because Steam is an rear end in a top hat and has told me exactly how long I’ve spent on Guildmaster and the campaign and it’s a few…hundred hours. It’s a great game — my biggest complain is that the feeling from early in the game that you’re scraping by the skin of your teeth disappears as you level up and get better items. Later on, you have to crank the difficulty up to make up for the power creep.

Come hang with us in the Gloomhaven thread!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I also just found out the reason why those are the four pawns in Magic Maze.

By the way, anyone who hasn't played Magic Maze is missing out hard. I've taught it to a couple of groups of people over the last month, and it's been a huge hit both times. It's so frantic and ridiculous and I love it.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I’ve been spending a lot of late nights awake alone with my newborn, so I treated myself to a game I’ve been eyeing for a long time — Aeon’s End. Per a few recommendations, I went with Aeon’s End: Legacy. I played solo with two mages and loved the game. I only had one loss out of the 7 scenarios, though I only won scenario 4 because I hosed up the Nemesis deck.

Anyway, Miniature Market had a Father’s Day sale, with Legacy of Gravehold on sale for $57. I snapped that up, and a package arrived today. I was pretty stoked to set up my first game tonight. Instead, MM sent me whatever the gently caress this is…

Such a bummer man. Now it’s out of stock, and I can’t find a copy for cheaper than $75.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

armorer posted:

Aeon's End plays great solo, and the non-legacy sets are good too - plenty of challenge.

I’ll probably dive into those next. I’m really enjoying the gameplay and the legacy mechanics, even it’s not perfectly balanced. One of my mages in Legacy had abilities that made her ruthless efficient, like really good at focusing breaches and really good at thinning my deck. By the end of Nemesis 6, I could reliably get her deck down to 10 cards — a 5 card hand of 4 powerful spells and a relic, and a 5 card band of high-value gems and a relic. The other mage pumped out damage like a machine. I finished Nemesis 7 before even getting to the tier 3 Nemesis cards.

It’s basically the game I wanted Mage Knight to be. A co-op deck builder with a variety of increasingly complex and difficult enemies. Except it takes 5 minutes to set up and an hour to play instead of an hour to set up and half a day to play.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

My wife and I have a hilarious dynamic.

I’m generally a bit of a sore loser, especially in games with a component of luck or randomness. I can lose a dozen games of chess in a row but gently caress me sideways if I lose a game of Catan because some motherfucker keeps rolling 10s and 11s. But if I win a game, I don’t get particularly excited about it.

On the other hand, my wife doesn’t give a poo poo at all if she loses. A quick shrug and that’s that. But oh man, if she wins a close game, everybody at the table gets to hear about it.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Pvt. Parts posted:

That's so weird to me, I'm the total opposite where games of luck/chance can at least plausibly cover for my lack of intelligence (or focus, or interest, or whatever), games of pure skill are extremely brutal brain wrestling matches.

Nah, if it’s just a skill thing, then I know that I can just get better.

Getting hosed by dice or card draws makes it feel like some vengeful god is conspiring to gently caress me. My wife’s family thinks that Gin Rummy is the height of entertainment, and I absolutely hate it.

Someone once recommended One Deck Dungeon as a great solitaire game and it took a a single game of rolling a half dozen ones during a critical encounter to realize that it was 100% not for me.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

For a much more entertaining version of this dilemma, just play Galaxy Trucker.

If everyone has the mentality of "I have to build the perfect ship", then the person who builds a perfect ship first probably wins barring some weird card draws.

If even one person has the mentality of "I just need to build a serviceable ship as fast as I can", then the lollygaggers are going to get tremendously hosed, and it's hilarious.

Galaxy Trucker is a game that went through a great curve as we played more. First, we had low scores because we didn't know how to build good ships or anticipate the card draws. Then, we had high scores because we learned to build beautiful ships that could do everything. Then, scores plummeted when we realized that forcing your opponents to make awful ships is an even better strategy than making a great ship. Like, yea, it's fun to beat every enemy and store all of the cargo...but it's even more fun to win with 1 crewmember and 1 engine in a ship held together by papier-mâché.

I once won a game with my stage III ship having a total of like, 15 parts.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 20, 2023

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Elysium posted:

My phases were

Play games with friends, sometimes in small groups, sometimes large, sometimes planned game nights, sometimes impromptu

And

Sit at home and never play games because literally everyone I know now has small children and I’m lucky if I can get one scheduled game night in a year

God bless Steam for allowing to me play tons of Gloomhaven, Spirit Island, and Blood Rage -- games that I love but can never get to the table on the once a blood moon that we get together for games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Azran posted:

Regicide is great at 2 and very simple to explain

Anyone who has won a game of Regicide at 2 is a wizard or a charlatan.