Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

New thread woohoo! Has anyone had a chance to try out all the amazing looking games and expansions Capstone has/is about to be releasing?

Ark Nova
Boonlake
Maracaibo: The Uprising
Pipeline: Emerging Markets
Corrosion

I listened to the Game Brain episode where they covered some of them, but am looking for more opinions/experiences. Also, Would be great to include that podcast as a recommended listening in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Got to play 2 recent big kickstarter games today, both at two players.

Destinies
We did the first scenario. This is a “competitive” choose your own adventure game using an app. It didn’t seem like there was any way to interact with the other player other than using up a location first. It was easy to learn and didn’t overstay its welcome, but felt odd to be racing in a game where most of the fun was in exploring all the different map tiles. Whoever gets lucky in heading the right direction more often will progress the story, while the other player is just getting more powerful. However, getting more powerful doesn’t help you win if you don’t end up on the right map tiles. I don’t see there being much replay value in a scenario as the map and encounters seem static.

Townsfolk Tussle
This is a boss rush game, but unlike a certain kingdom game it’s not a campaign game. It has a cuphead or very early Disney cartoon aesthetic which looked fantastic. The production value is top notch on this thing. The game has you fight 4 bosses with a town phase before each fight where an event happens and you get some gear. There are a good number of bosses in the box and they all have special abilities depending on when you fight them. They also each set up the arena where you fight them in a different way with a ton of terrain that has different effects, all of which is easily referenced with cards placed out on the bottom of the map.

When we did the first fight it went very poorly. My character missed every attack and died quickly. The other character did some good damage, but also died. We decided to reset as my character felt like it was a support that really needed more than 2 players to be usable. With new characters and a fresh start the game went the other direction with me quickly getting 2 guns that I could use on alternating turns from very far away coupled with some pants that let me move very far meant all the bosses went down without much challenge.

Im looking forward to seeing the greater board game communities thoughts on its balance and player count differences as more people get a chance to play. As it stands it feels very luck dependent between the randomized equipment you’re able to purchase coupled with every attack relying on a single d10.

In short, a beautiful production with some questionable balance issues, but I repeat myself as I already said it was a Kickstarter.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Got to play two more big Kickstarter games yesterday.

Unsettled
This is a co-op planetary exploration game. Going all-in on the ks gave me 6 different planets each with 3 objective decks. We played the A objective deck of the recommended starting planet as well as the A objective deck of Stratos, one of the max difficulty worlds.

It’s an action selection game where on your turn you’ll place your 3 markers in different available actions that will increase, or more likely decrease their value from between 0 to 3. The objective deck functions as a book with each card flipping to reveal what your last objective did and uncovering the next step of your adventure. Every objective deck will involve completing 3 tasks over the course of the game before you run out of endurance.

Both planets played out very differently. The first was a dense jungle where we needed to figure out what the local flora and fauna where like. The second planet was more of an asteroid belt and had the different map cards rotating and shifting throughout the game.

Neither planet was particularly hard, but the unique mechanics of each makes me want to experience all of the planets.

We also played Batman: The Animated Series

This is from IDW, and likely the last board game they will ever produce. We played the co-op mode and had Batman, Robin, Batgirl, and Commissioner Gordon facing off against Man Bat. It uses their AUGS, I think that’s what it’s called, system where each hero has 3 dice that they roll each turn. Each player will put those dice in whatever order they want and each die on the outside is shared with the the player in that direction. Since their was 2 of us playing, we each controlled 2 characters. The dice system was super easy to understand and lead to some nice coordination of giving adjacent characters the icons they needed to be more successful on their turns.

The game was quick to teach and play, but suffers a bit from having so many different modes. It can be played competitively in a couple different ways, cooperative, and solo with each mode having some rules tweaks leading to a their being a lot of tokens and an overly complex rulebook that made referencing information challenging.

The system was fun, and with all the Kickstarter extras you could setup whatever Batman animated universe matchup you could want, or even combine it with the TMNT game that uses the same system and have Leonardo and Batman fighting Mr.Freeze and Shredder.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/341489/carrooka

Carrooka looks great and more approachable than Crok. I get tired of Crok after like 15 mins.

Would love to get my hands on a Carrooka board but they are only available in the UK.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

armorer posted:

Buy a 3d printer and print/design your own inserts!

This is my favorite solo game. Few things are more satisfying than having a designated place for every piece of a game.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What does MWE stand for?

Medium Weight Euro

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

So of course I started looking at $1000 3D printers... I am very smart, why do you ask?

This is by far the best investment anyone that enjoy the organizational aspect of board games can make.

My printer has done 1000+ prints over 6500 hours since I got it in 2018. 95% of those were for board games. It’s a wonderful addition to the hobby, and purchasing a nicer model pays dividends. My Dremel 3D45 has only had 1 failed print. My only complaint is the print bed is a bit smaller than I would like.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

The best of the trilogy is actually New Frontiers. It’s race without needing to learn all the iconography. Easier to learn/teach, and still plays as fast as race.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah New Frontiers is the best mechanically but weakest in content and setup/storage sucks.. RftG is the best overall but I still like Roll enough to play anytime, though the later expansion with the two sub-games is completely unnecessary and not worth the rules load.

New Frontiers is supposed to have an expansion arriving this year. It also has a really nice BGA implementation.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

You might want to check out Ares Project. It is RTS the board game. Heavily inspired by StarCraft and has 4 unique factions.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65534/ares-project

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

!Klams posted:

HHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

What do you do about the mini's though? (Please don't let the answer be what I know in my heart the answer can only be...)

Open you heart to the wonders of 3D printing. Then realize that you want even higher quality miniatures for the game and buy a second 3D printer, this time a resin one. After that accept that a game this good needs dual color acrylic tokens and purchase a laser cutter/engraver. Don't forget that each faction's minis should be a unique color so you should get an air brush for good measure. Then you can marvel at the glory of your creation as it sits on the shelf never to be played.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's on my list, gets a lot of praise. Unfortunately, it's expensive. What does the thread think is the best Star Trek board game?

Star Trek Fleet Captains. It uses HeroClix bases for your ships so you get to divert power to the systems you are using. Each factions cards and ships naturally encourages the player to play in the way that faction acts.

Ascendency is over-long and did not feel like Star Trek when I won by bringing a gigantic Starfleet armada to the Klingon homeworld to turn it into glass.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

This reads like one of those "add HUSTLE to the end of any board game and see what you get" generators

Patchwork Hustle
The search for planet X Hustle
Go Hustle

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant Hustle

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

Is there a game like Unmatched but with a deckbuilding component?

Skytear might be what you're looking for. It's MOBA inspired so there is more rules grit, but like Unmatched is all about smart card play and strategic positioning. Best with two, and has each player controlling 3 unique characters that you create a deck for.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Just finished a game of TGZ async, I won with exactly one monument, never built any, just upgraded, built craftsmen, Qamata and Builder. Never had a game where anyone never built any monuments, I don't think.

I'm appreciating the game more and more every single play.

Speaking of async Splotter games, the owner/operator of BoardGameCore announced that Horseless Carriage would be getting added to the site in the next couple of weeks. I hope to get at least a couple plays in online to cement the rules and flow before my physical copy arrives.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

FulsomFrank posted:

Does anyone know about the expansion for Ark Nova and whether it might alleviate some of the problems people are discussing or not? I got a "dented" copy of it a while ago but haven't had time to play it yet because when you have an infant lol @ time to play bigger games.

It's going to make the deck bigger and add an additional animal type (marine) so it will make all the issues with Ark Nova worse. There will be new zoo maps and alternate actions cards so more variety for players that like a heads down zero interaction puzzle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Oh, and anyone have thoughts on the Divinity board game?

It’s one of the few campaign games I’ve gotten all the way through. I played it 2 player with each of us controlling 2 characters. The game has at least 3 completely divergent paths through with different bosses, maps, enemies, and potential rewards. The character building is extremely open with free and encouraged respec’ing between stages.

The game very much encourages and in some ways requires teamwork/combo crafting. There are a number of environmental conditions (fire/wet/oily/charged) that can be placed on map spaces that will significantly improve your damage if you can get the right type on the right spot. One of our regular combos was getting a space wet making an electricity attack become AOE which would transition the space to charged allowing for future electricity attacks to be more powerful.

The game is challenging without feeling unfair and you will feel your character get significantly more powerful over the course of the campaign. A full campaign isn’t overly long either which is a bonus and makes me want to actually do another run through of the game picking a different path through using different characters and completely different builds.

The game is expensive, but fortunately the minis boxes are completely unnecessary. I also played through without the optional expansions. It is currently my favorite campaign based “dungeon crawl” game I’ve played and I have played the vast majority of them.