Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I wouldn't suggest Marvel Champions at 2. I think it plays better with 3 and even better with 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I really, really wish I played Spirit Island often enough that my group could dive into some of the deeper scenarios.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't play Marvel Champions solo, but it gets a lot of love for its solo play.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My (5 year old) son is really into dragons. He saw the word dragon on Dragon Castle, but I'm wondering if I should just buy mahjong instead.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Please sell me on/off Rococo, specifically Deluxe Edition. I want goon opinions.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So I'm at a point where I'd be willing to throw money at a Splotter. Recommendations? I was thinking of FCM but I've heard that decisions on the first turn can decide the game and then you're just playing a slow death, which is... probably not my thing.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mayveena posted:

I think it's a good thing that Tom has chosen Ark Nova as his new #1. As unpopular as he is with many in the thread including me, he's very influential in the hobby and it's positive to see him embrace a game that is way more modern of a board game than Cosmic Encounter. Ark Nova was not my #1 game of last year, Imperial Steam was.

Also for more of my thoughts on the game, watch my video (noting that my channel is not set up for marketing ie no need to like, comment or subscribe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHP9c3g5Te8

I saw your video a week or two ago and it convinced me to pick up Ark Nova with my March boardgame budget.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wasn't there a post a page or three ago that Libertalia was good? I was going to look into it. What should I do now?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
It was just brought to my attention that 5x5s don't fit through a lot of doorways and now I'm frustrated.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I really want to play a refined BSG, but Unfathomable looks really cheap (is it true FFG lost all their art?). Does it feel cheap?

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 3, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

golden bubble posted:

It's a good game that actually scales up to 6p in a reasonable way. If you want to try it, it's on Boardgamearena.

Alas, I'm a barbarian who has never used boargamearena.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My "serious boardgamer" friends sometimes get angry when I shift gears from "win" to "end the game as quickly as possible by any means necessary", and I'm always confused why I should continue playing for an hour so they can figure out who is first versus second when I'm in fourth and I have the option to drive the game into the ground and end the game now.

"Oh, the game ends when this stack runs out? I will spend all four of my actions drawing from this stack, thank you very much."

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Since Covid I've been buying RPGs instead of boardgames (for the most part) and I have a lot of pent up boardgame energy.

(1) This week I'm buying Nidavellir (and Thingvellir), Campy Creatures (and Expansion), and I am definitely backing Mind Mgmt

(2) What have I missed out on since Covid started? What game has released since March 2020 that I should go spend money on?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Magnetic North posted:

The only post-2019 release I can think of that I've bought and played is my game of the year from last year:

Though it's not quite the same as a normal board game.
Yeah, I played the first one, I think, and a group of people sitting around a living room listening to each other read Encyclopedia Brown passages was... like, the worst. I played the first four or five stories and loathed every minute of it. I assume it's basically the same idea?

quote:

For a few similar games that were both huge hits, Lost Ruins of Arnak and Dune Imperium are deckbuilding euros that took the broader board gaming world by storm. I have not played them and don't know if they are goon-approved. (Arnak is playable on BGA I think?)

I also have not played The Red Cathedral but it seems more likely to get traction in this thread.
Thanks, I'll investigate.

Lawlicaust posted:

Isle of Cats came out right before Covid and is pretty solid.

Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
Calico
The Crew
Search for Planet X
Canvas
Unsettled
I picked up The Crew: Mission Deep Sea, I'll look into the others. Thank you!

JoeRules posted:

I finally played Beyond the Sun this weekend and after a couple plays it's quite likely on my buy list. I have not played Caper: Europe, but folks I trust have been singing high praises, so that's almost certainly going to happen too.

Thanks!

Infinitum posted:

For semi-recent non-KS releases Great Western Trail got a 2nd Edition which is
A.) Gorgeous
B.) Has Cowboy hats for Meeples

Been trying to get it to the table for a while but ~covid~

I almost bought the first edition, and the second sounds like it fixes a few minor quibbles that prevented me from buying it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mayveena posted:

Private money in our group just means the player we always play with memorizes what's in everyone's 'private' space and I especially don't/cannot. Not fun.

Yeah, no private black boxes. If the inputs and the outputs are public, then the value inside is public, too. Private info only if the inputs and outputs are incomplete info, otherwise private info is dumb.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
One note I wanted to clarify - my desire to drive the game into the ground when I'm losing is almost directly correlated to the odds of playing another game that night. Like, if it's the difference of fifteen minutes or and hour and fifteen minutes, we have time to play another game. I'm not wasting my time on this one. But if this is the last game regardless, then I'm fine just watching the two math-savants drag it out forever.

Also, I tend to focus on "alternative" victory conditions. If someone takes a castle from me (I don't know, I'm making a game up), and I'm probably going to lose, I might just define "winning" as "taking back that castle". Because that's an achievable goal. Fourth out of five versus third isn't always terribly interesting, so sometimes you have to make it interesting. And I know that focusing on something in a made up narrative can throw people for a loop.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

!Klams posted:

One of the things they came up with was Rule 0, which essentially boils down to, "before the game, discuss how powerful of a game you want, and how powerful your decks are, and reach an agreement". Which is to me just kinda codifying healthy social behaviours.

But all the Catan talk, reminds me of an issue, and it's something Citizen Keen touched on, that somehow gets missed often, which I find baffling. And it's that apparently rulebooks need a rule that says "you might play with the same players again in the future, and so in a way this is a legacy game, because your actions will have consequences across multiple games".

And that's not like, a threat. That's just a truism. For some reason, people seem to think "they always go for the point rush strategy, I'll try and stop them by doing warfare" or whatever, is somehow like clever pattern recognition, but "he completely hosed me over last game with a last minute backstab, I can't trust him this game" is 'holding a grudge' and bad pattern recognition or something?
Exactly. Like, I'm not a dick, or I don't want to be. I'm playing games with my friends. I want to be invited back.

We're adding two new people to our board game table, and I've been trying to telegraph that sometimes I get bored and just ouch a lever in the game engine and see what happens when I crank it all the way, even if that's not the optimal way to win, and if your winning strategy presumes that everybody else is going to aim for an optimal strategy, then you don't have a winning strategy.

And 100% agreed: if you screw me over in the first two games of the night, I don't know why you would expect to have a blank slate for the third.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Rosalie_A posted:

It's not even that, to be honest. A game usually has a stated objective to attempt to meet, and meeting that means winning. Typically a player's goal is that objective, even if it's not one they expect they'll meet. When that objective becomes impossible, of course they're going to come up with another goal, whether it's "do the best I can" or "see how silly I can make this setup" or "get revenge on the rear end in a top hat who put me out of contention" or, very commonly, "end the game as soon as possible".

People just need to understand that everyone has their own motivations going into a game, and they might not always seem rational to you because people often seem irrational. That's part of the fun, though: if you want mindless automatons to test your skill against with no emotion, there's no shortage of other options out there.

Thank you for saying what I wanted to say in better words.

Chill la Chill posted:

It's reasonable to expect tabula rasa between each playthrough along with the social contract that you should be trying to win for yourself.

Hard disagree. There's a spectrum between tabula rasa and grudge. If someone kicks your sandcastle in during a game of Cyclades, targeting that player in the next evening's Rex: Final Days of an Empire is a dick move, and don't be a dick.

But ignoring the entire context of who you're playing with is impossible. My group will regular utter phrases like "And I have to give a bonus blue cube to someone... Avery, you brought that tasty bread tonight, have a cube." Often the margin of difference between targeting two or three other players with a good card or bad card is narrow to the point where other factors come in to play. I'm not going to hunt down a player who beat me in the last game with the Gotcha card, but if the Gotcha card target is a toss up between someone who took my favorite castle last game and someone who didn't, I will absolutely yell "REMEMBER CASTLE WHATEVER" while playing the "Increased Taxi Fare" card in a completely different game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I was going to make a comment about how I haven't been burned, but then I realized that only 20% of my Kickstarter boardgames have been delivered, so I don't really know.

1. Blood on the Clocktower
  2. Oath
  3. Stationfall
  4. Shikoku 1889
  5. MIND MGMT

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

Do we still have an active LCG/Marvel thread?

It's a good thread.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETiKCA1EQsM

For Science! was NPI's board game of the year in 2021, which gets some points with me, but it's aesthetic has a very strong "first edition Sidereal Confluence" vibe that I am not into.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Stationfall?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mr. Squishy posted:

His games may be mediocre but his marketing is top-notch.

The four months between when I am able to buy a Stonemeier game and when reddit/BGG/SA convince me I should not are a long four months.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I suspect there's a disconnect between table filler and time filler here.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Played a rock-solid game of Sidereal Confluence over the weekend. You know you've got a good group when a 7-player game with two new players gets rules rodeo and the game done in four hours.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Infinitum posted:

Marvel is reimplementing Fantasy Realms

$20 usd is the RRP

Yeah I'll probably look into this.

I was already on the fence about Fantasy Realms, but this'll push me over, since my kid is more into Marvel than fantasy.

If there's also a Star Trek one, good on the team for hitting a licensing bonanza.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I am still waiting for somebody to answer the Nemesis versus Stationfall question. Inquiring minds want to know!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Inis slaps. It's probably my favorite game. Covid hit when the expansion came out, so I can't speak to 5, but 3-4 it's great.

I also forgot I wanted to buy War of Whispers, so did that.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Megasabin posted:

Interesting. I didn't realize they have continued to change the game. I've been playing it once a year for the past 2-3 years at an event a friend hosts. So I'm probably playing a pretty old version that was self-made. What have they updated?

Not as much as you'd think.

They've been fiddling with the aesthetics up the wazoo.

Mechanically, they've been trying to play out all the combinations (which is impossible), trying to isolate the weird corner cases that they can either clarify in the rules or make very slight changes to ability phrasing. I think the changes have been more to the advanced playsets of Sects and Violets and Bad Moon Rising. If you've mostly been playing Trouble Brewing you're probably playing the same game.

Here's the wiki, which I think is reasonably current: https://wiki.bloodontheclocktower.com/Trouble_Brewing

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Admiralty Flag posted:

I recently played Concordia at a Meetup and enjoyed it. Amazon is running a promo where if you buy something that is listed as "sold by Amazon" and you have it delivered to a locker/hub, you can use the code 10OFFPICKUP to get $10 off a purchase of $20+. So I decided to order Concordia (already $20 off MSRP + $10 more). I'll get xpacs through my FLGS to make up for my sin of feeding the Amazon beast. Speaking of which:

The catch is I'm in a 2 player household until mid-May. Any suggestions on which board/map set to get for 2P?

Also, BGG seems to concur that Salsa is the best xpac for Concordia. Anyone confirm/deny?

I try to support local, but Salsa for $18? Yes, please. Here's hoping it's not counterfeit.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So as a fellow parent, what is a good game along those lines?

I love gloomhaven and descent, but I'm not teaching that to a 6 year old.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fat Samurai posted:

Whats a good rec for 8 players? We’re renting a house for Easter, and I’d like to pack a couple of games.

I have Avalon and Decrypto. I feel that a PnP of Blood on the Clocktower may work better than Avalon just so I can push the players to interact (they are new to boardgames) but :effort:

Blood on the Clocktower plays great at 8-12, and it's a great game for mixing boardgame newbs and vets, and also "smart" and "dumb" people. The Storyteller has a lot of tools to keep veterans from running away with the game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Skymines posted:

As investors, you try to earn the most CrypCoin over the course of seven rounds.

Somebody threadban Mayveena for CryptoBaloney.

It's all good as long as we don't burn up the planet :)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 8, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is riser a double wide cube?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wormholes are adjacent to each other. Wormholes are not adjacent to tiles that are adjacent to other wormholes.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don’t know what your budget is, but the Arkham Horror and Marvel Champions LCGs have a lot of long term play value. So too does Gloomhaven.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mayveena posted:

E: If you call someone a loving idiot for liking munchkin, that could be a problem.
We all know munchkin fans don't gently caress.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Rockman Reserve posted:

So am I going totally crazy here or did Arkham Horror LCG just tease honest-to-god Carmen Sandiego as an upcoming investigator?

Link?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Uh, that’s amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
For me, the number one thing I'm looking for is the company. I want good food and good drink and good friends. I've played plenty of board games on folding banquet tables, and I've played plenty of games on bespoke tables.

Playing with nice stuff is nice, but I've found zero correlation between nice stuff and my best experiences.