Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Great OP.

Is there a recommendation between Concordia and Concordia Venus? How do they play at 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

interrodactyl posted:

There's still nothing I've found that quite replaces how good Space Alert is as a real-time co-op board game, but like other people have mentioned, I would love to know if there are other good board games like it.

Nothing quite lives up to Space Alert in this vein for me, but For Science had a similar feel for chaotic real-time games. It's been a hit with friends and is much easier to pick up than Space Alert.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Poopy Palpy posted:

I just got an email blast from David Sirlin promoting Puzzle Strike 2 and this first paragraph is pretty rich coming from a guy who used a picture of someone else's redesign of someone else's game as the starting point for his design:

He turned the game into a market row deckbuilder, and his justification for why this is good design is that in addition to all the standard reasons market row deckbuilders are bad, the order of cards in the market row affects how attacks work so sometimes you need to buy a card you don't want to prevent your opponents' attacks from getting too good. There's also a big dumb plastic scepter for some reason.

The whole article is weird. "I designed how I wanted the box and components to look then designed the game around that" is a choice. I have the print-and-play version of Puzzle Strike 1 from 10 years ago and though I haven't played in forever I did like the idea of a board game that felt somewhat like Puzzle Fighter, attacking your opponent with resources that they could then use back against you. Moving to a market row and fixed card pools is also strange. None of this really matters though since it's a Sirlin joint and probably shouldn't be backed.

Here's the article if anyone else wants to read.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

The scepter lights up for some reason :lol:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

This was just such a funky and obtuse way of making this distinction. Note that this was prior to the announcement.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah I think it looks and plays great, barring the crisis cards looking a bit like placeholders.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

I'm glad Lisa Frank was able to break into the board game industry.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

I enjoy Too Many Bones but I wish the field was 5x5 instead of 4x4 and health was changed around a bit. Everything can die so fast and there's not really room to maneuver around to avoid attacks or cleverly position and outplay enemies so you end up standing in the same spot just trying to kill things ASAP most of the time.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

I just ordered Three Kingdoms Redux based on the recent impressions in this thread and a review on BGG. My usual weekly group is 3 total so it's neat to have a game designed for 3. I ordered directly from the designers in Singapore so shipping was pretty extreme to the US, but happy to support them.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Board gaming. I might bust out Mage Knight for the first time in many, many years tomorrow.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Solo, I assume, since convincing people to play it is impossible?

Co-op with my wife, but I've never even tried to get it to the table with others. I've never been a solo board gamer for whatever reason.

silvergoose posted:

I mostly disagree on the difficulty of teaching T&E; there's not too many rules, and external conflicts aren't *that* hard to explain.

But yes, overall Mage Knight is very difficult to get to the table with others, and I don't really mind, I had a great time with it and now haven't had the urge to play it. Sucks about the digital implementation getting canned, though, I would have played a ton of it solo without having to set it up.

An unofficial digital Mage Knight did recently come out, it just has a different name. There's a demo available if you want to try it. It's legitimately just Mage Knight as far as I could tell playing the demo.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1671590/Paladins_Oath/

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

We recently got back into Spirit Island. We'll even play it at 4 players because two friends also enjoy it as much as we do. Still a great game even though most wouldn't recommend it over 2.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Radioactive Toy posted:

I just ordered Three Kingdoms Redux based on the recent impressions in this thread and a review on BGG. My usual weekly group is 3 total so it's neat to have a game designed for 3. I ordered directly from the designers in Singapore so shipping was pretty extreme to the US, but happy to support them.

This arrived last week and I finally opened and punched everything. I was doing it in a bit of low-light and didn't realize until the end that a few of the punch boards (and thus the pieces that were on them) as well as the cards have a crusty, brown gunk on them. Not sure if this was mold from being stored in their warehouses / houses for years or what. There's no musty or off smell, and everything feels completely dry. Contemplating contacting the publisher but who knows if other copies would have the same issue or if I should worry at all.

Edit: added a few pictures of the components and card back with the stuff on it, and then also the discolored sides of a deck and discoloration in the box that may or may not be related. The blemish on the piece and cards back can be scratched off so it's not a print issue. Honestly now that the components have been rubbing up against each other they already seem to have rubbed whatever it was off I'm not too concerned as long as it doesn't seem to be harmful.

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 4, 2022

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

More people should try Captain Sonar's turn-based mode instead of the real time mode. They're obviously different experiences and the real-time mode is good but I prefer the tense back and forth of turn-based.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

For someone with no Cartographers, should I get original Cartographers or Cartographers Heroes these days?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Due to a few medical conditions that popped up recently, I both am not working all that much and also cannot play any video games. I have never been a solo board gamer in the past, but I'm finally tempted to try out solo board gaming. So far I have played a bit of Mage Knight (still great) and did the solo mode of Pax Pamir 2nd Edition which I thought was decently well done. Both of these were a nice excuse to bust out some games in my collection that I haven't gotten to the table in years. So now I'm wondering, what are people's favorite solo games or official/unofficial solo modes for games?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

CitizenKeen posted:

I don’t know what your budget is, but the Arkham Horror and Marvel Champions LCGs have a lot of long term play value. So too does Gloomhaven.

Thanks for the suggestions, all! I should have been more specific. I play Marvel Champions with 2 others weekly (not my copy), and we occasionally switch it up and play Arkham Horror LCG (my copy) though I only have the base and 2 side scenarios. I haven't thought about playing it much because it seems like 2 handed is the way to go and it strikes me as a bigger cognitive load than single-handed, but I should try it out. We also have a Gloomhaven campaign that's a bit on hold so I wouldn't want to do that solo.

Pandemic Legacy S0 is earmarked to be played with some friends.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

I appreciate everyone's responses about solo gaming! Looks like I have a decent amount of research to do today on all of these suggestions.

Fate Accomplice posted:

have you played seasons 1-2 already? I don't remember specifics but order of release made story beats in 2/0 much stronger.

We played through 1, but we never finished 2 due to a player flaking out 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through the campaign.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

A roll and Write game in the Twilight Imperium universe was announced today...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2853071/twilight-inscription

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

I'm necro-ing a post from the previous thread:

Memnaelar posted:

In good game came out news, I received the unfortunately named "Uprising: Curse of the Last Emperor" kickstarter this week and gave it a try and it's... promising?

It's a co-op Pandemic/Defenders of the Realm fantasy game that's probably best played solo or 2P because it has all of the issues that you might expect a co-op to have but the art production on it reminds me of the old Conan Marvel comics in its floridly colorful take on grimdark, it uses good plastic standees instead of minis in a welcome change-up, and it's generally a solid first-time production for a young gaming company. Not a ton new under the sun in terms of its design, but I can definitely see it coming to the table several times while I work through its solo puzzles.

I came across this game and I feel slightly intrigued, seeing as how it is trying a take on a "coop 4x" which interests me. I haven't seen anyone else in here talk about it much as it was an expensive, overproduced kickstarter game from a few years ago. Wondering if you played any more of it and have some updated thoughts?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

I've played another couple of games and I think I've got a pretty good grip on it. It's a co-op 4x with an interesting problem where you've got a central empire in the middle of the map expanding out towards you and the forces of chaos converging in at you and you have to manipulate player scores by beating up on both so that all players are above the scores of both Chaos and Empire at game end -- if either Chaos or Empire scores more than any player, then everyone loses. To make things even more interesting, Chaos and Empire do NOT get along and will clash and potentially score points off one another if you don't intercept them -- which, in some instances, you don't WANT to do as you may be okay with a low-scoring Chaos picking off a dominant Empire legion or two to save you the troops and effort of trimming that particular branch of their tree.

I like it - great pulpy art style, some smart mechanics, and a fun little co-op. NOW, for the negatives, it's VERY dice-swingy and that can be a deal-breaker for some folks. There were a couple of crucial rolls where my partner and I re-rolled illegally because a bad roll would have absolutely decimated our game. And that sucks. The new expansion they're funding on Gamefound seems to have SOME additional dice mitigation in the form of more re-rolls but that's definitely a problem with the base game. Also, the base game factions are pretty bland in their asymmetry. Either the already-existing expansion or the one that's being funded mix up the game in FAR more interesting ways than the base.

It's a like, not love game for me. There are definitely other games I'd rather MUCH rather play solo (there is no "true" solo - you have to at least two-hand it) but I definitely prefer it to, say, any Pandemic variant for co-op play.

I really appreciate the quick response here. I tried this on Tabletop Simulator (it has a really well-done mod) and it seems like the kind of game my wife and I would enjoy. I'm not adverse to dice swinginess, and I quite enjoy the look of the game. I'll have to do a bit of thinking before the campaign closes.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

More Arcs details on Cole's twitter today.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

SettingSun posted:

The Vagabond is playing a different game from everyone else. They very easily and quickly accrue points and it is a net loss for any other player to try and knock them down. Game quality goes way up if you replace them with any other faction like the Otters.

Unless you play with my friends who refuse to use any of your Otter offerings because it is "directly helping the otters" so you spend every turn trying to home-shopping-network pitch your services at the cheapest price and still sell a total of 2 services in an entire game :negative:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

OmegaGoo posted:

Long time no see SA.

I got Oath and Bullet this weekend! I know I’m going to love Bullet, as I’ve been playing it on TTS a lot.

Is the opinion on Oath still good? It seems really cool and ticks a lot of boxes I have, but just grasping going on is kind of insane. I haven’t gotten it to the table yet, but do people recommend the initial setup and walkthrough for the first game of it?

Bullet has such an amazing TTS mod. It definitely sold me on the game and I'll probably pick it up on the near future.

My group really likes Oath with the caveat that we have only played a few times. It's a weird game, and teaching is also a little strange. We followed the initial setup and walkthrough for the first game and I did find it to be helpful. It's full of negotiation, king making, squashing the leader, but somehow it works for us where other games with those traits do not.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

How do people feel about Terra Mystica vs. Gaia Project in 2022? Looking for opinions mostly when playing at 2p, or potentially solo now that TM has a solo expansion. My general impression is that Gaia Project works better at lower player counts and has more interesting tech tracks, but I like the look of TM more.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

uncle blog posted:

Speaking of the action card system from Ark Nova. Has anybody tried the Terra Incognita expansion for Civilization A New Dawn?
I picked up the base game last year, with the intention of supplementing it with the expansion. Before I bought it I heard the expansion made an unremarkable game into something truly great. Now the expansion is finally back in stock in my country. So was wondering if the praise is to be believed?

I picked up the game + expansion for cheap a few months ago. I have only played it with the expansion so it's hard to compare to the base game, but I have really enjoyed the game. I think the action card system is really novel, and it seems like it was improved upon in the expansion with faction-specific techs.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Im not sure if this is the right thread:

War of the Ring players, what's the best trick for playing sauron? The person who taught me how to play didnt have me using the Stacking rule so I destroyed him with cartoonish armies with 15+ units on them.

Then I played with a different guy and found the stacking rule. And then my army got poo poo-slaughtered at Minas Tirith, and I rolled eyes and orbs and no mustering or army squares and aragorn kind of just conquered all of mordor while Frodo was smoking a bowl in edoras.

So it seems playing defensively works both ways. Having a big army matters less than having lots of elites, which matters the absolute most.

Also, do leaders and heroes like aragorn count as "army units" or is that just the orange and blue guys?

Leaders and heroes do not count as army units. The good guy player can only stay super defensive for so long, as they have limited armies that do not get replenished when they die. The shadow pieces go back into the supply when killed, so they would eventually overrun the dwindling good forces.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

My shower thought yesterday was about how when I first got into the hobby in 2009 I heard the team "engine builder" and thought the game someone was referring to was actually about building a car engine. They made Deck Building: The Deck Building Game where's my Engine Building: The Engine Building Game.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

drat, you're right.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

psychopomp posted:

Wanted to start doing some solitaire and 2-player board and card gaming so, after browsing the first few pages of the thread, picked up the Marvel Champion's card game core set. Unpacked it, popped out the cardboard bits, read the rules, don't feel any regrets yet so I'm enjoying the purchase thusfar. Thanks, thread.

It's a great game. There's a thread for it (mostly) here.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

I was able to get Three Kingdoms Redux to the table for the first time last night. I really appreciate a game with a strict player count, as balance, even with asymmetry, seemed very tight. The decision space for the game seems pretty high, so it probably wasn't smart to play our learning game starting after 9pm. The interplay between bidding on spaces, each general having different stats and special abilities, cards with special abilities, and needing to compete for points on 8 different fronts makes the game extremely brain burny. I can definitely see this game rewarding a few plays in quick succession.

In the end I think??? I had fun playing it but it was hard to tell. It's definitely a good game but the group needs to all be in the right mood.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

!Klams posted:

HHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

What do you do about the mini's though? (Please don't let the answer be what I know in my heart the answer can only be...)

People sell them on Etsy, and also there are group-buy threads every few months in the BGG forums where they get professionally made. Pretty sure it's very expensive though.

Bottom Liner posted:

Any thoughts on Ahnk as a 2p game? The merge system seems pretty divisive but 2p would remove that hurdle.

I just recently picked this up after researching it for mainly 2p and saw almost nothing but praise for the 2p game, though I haven't tabled it yet. The No Pun Included review video is mostly about the game at 2 if you want to check that out.

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 22, 2022

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Chaos is sooo good. Especially with the Horned Rat.

This is interesting, I've only ever really heard the opposite about Horned Rat but never looked into it. I would love to hear more opinions about this as I have Chaos but not the expansion.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Mayveena posted:

I FOMO'd carefully acquired Outer Rim and its expansion, Unfinished Business. Please tell me this is a good game :).

It's been over a week where are the impressions?!

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Another Dune game has been announced, bringing the number of Dune board games to about 300,000. There were scant details, but it seems to be a 1v1 game made by the designers of War of the Ring, which actually gives it some promise in my eyes as the link between theme and mechanics in War of the Ring is really amazing. Unfortunately it is also CMON's next kickstarter :negative:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

I forgot how much of an insane value regular Spirit Island is so I was expecting Smol Spirit Island to be $50, but it's $30 so pretty much worth the price even just for the 5 spirits plus a version of the game that might be quicker and easier to get to the table.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

In an effort to make it a little easier to get some games with long or annoying setups to the table, I decided to start looking into functional inserts for some of the games I want to play more. I decided to go with Star Wars: Rebellion first as each faction having a bunch of different pieces to be sorted is a pain for both setup and teardown, even though I have each unit type individually bagged. There are a bunch of pre-made fancy inserts around, but I wanted to give crafting one from foamcore a try. I followed a guide I found online and after probably way too many hours over the last week I learned that I am not great at cutting straight down, so all of my pieces are a bit wonky.

It looks no where near as fancy as the guide, but it should be really nice to just pull out a tray for the rebels and a tray for the empire and have it about ready to go with no sorting or un-bagging. Overall it was not a terrible experience. The cost for materials + my time + the results means I'll probably just purchase ones in the future rather than make my own, but this was a bit of an experiment in whether I would enjoy this type of crafting at all.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

I'm strangely eagerly awaiting impressions about Twilight Inscription from GenCon.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Apocron posted:

Is there a chance the CMON Dune game could be good? I saw a picture of the minis from gencon and they looked good?

Also anyone know anything about the War of the Ring card game? I know WotR is one of THE 2 player war games so it would be nice if there was a more digestible version.

The Dune game is being designed by the War of the Ring designers so there is some precedent there. I have high hopes even though I'm not a fan of CMON. We'll see.

If you check BGG there was a designer posting in a thread about the WotR card game and answering questions. It has also been demo'd a few times recently so there are some impressions around. It does look like a more digestible version of WotR that hits a lot of the same feel, but keep in mind it's being designed primarily as a 2v2 game and they said there will be a 1v1 variant but it's still being tweaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

Meanwhile I had my first game of Spirit Island with Branch and Claw and I bounced off the Events deck hard. It's not just that the Events introduce randomness to a game I have touted to learners as being far more strategic and knowable than its predecessors like Pandemic, though it is that; it's that firing off an Event card each and every turn was like adding multiple Fear cards to each and every turn. The pause to do the invader Event, and then the token Event, and then the Dahan event, with each frequently involving complexity akin to resolving a Fear card, was murderous to the pace of the game. I'll grant you this was my first play but I instantly missed the swift, nearly automated resolution of "ravage, build, explore, OK it's turtle time everyone."

Additionally, on the point of randomness, I have also touted to newbies that the Fear deck is a source of fun treats. Not every card helps much but no card hurts you and sometimes you can hope the Fear deck throws you a Hail Mary pass and high five when it does. Thus it always feels good to the players. This is unlike the random cards I've seen in Spirit Island's ancestor games, and unlike the event deck. The event deck's invader side can and will gently caress up a plan you either just laid out with your hawks or had been hoping to lay out with your turtles. I consider this "post decision" randomness, meaning "bad RNG". When you play a Defend 2 on a town + explorer land so that your native buddy there will live and fight, no blight, and then the event deck says "towns do +1 damage", how can this be taken any differently than "I attack the orc" *rolls a 2* "I miss and my turn is wasted" in Dungeons and Dragons? The answer, I suppose, is that the token events and Dahan events then throw you treats. But why should I accept a penalty roughly counterbalanced with a bonus when I can just play event-less Spirit Island, and so cut to the chase (again, there is the slowdown of utilizing events)?

It is said in the rulebook that the point, in part, is to prevent elite players from knowing their victory in advance. Even at my level of skill I do commonly have games where our table says "hey, look, we can win this 100% certain next turn", and I am sure better players learn to do that two or three turns into the future. I do not see the problem. Realization of checkmate always comes after however many turns of serious, strategic game play. Realizing you have won and it only remains to be technically played out just means you can save some time and start the next strategic game. It's like those engine builder games that end right when the engines are about to activate - the fun was in getting there, and when we can all see where it's going, the game is not flawed, it is simply over and it is time to play again.

Another point of events is of course theme. Theme is subjectively experienced, so I'll just say I'm personally fine without and that's pretty much all there is to say there.

I spent more text discussing randomness but really it was the slowdown of play that irked me. I just can't think of how to wax on about the game taking longer, is all. I will of course give the deck a fair shake and some more plays but I am very appreciative that Jagged Earth contains simple rules for ignoring it.

Bang! sucks

We're totally the opposite here. We're not amazing SI players or anything but ever since we added events we don't want to go back. I don't mind it slowing the game down since we already take forever to play. I appreciate the theme of the events and how they balance both helpful and harmful effects. It's both exciting and heartbreaking in a way that is more interesting to us than "ugh the worst Explore location just came up."