Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Looking for recommendations, did read OPs but was hoping to find, ideally: one or two games suitable for 3 players and also 6+ players, or two games one for 3 players and one for 6+.

For the large group simple will be better so I'm thinking Codenames. The 6+ game ideally is suitable for kids and adults. And I was thinking Wingspan for the smaller group but as it wasn't in the OP I'm not so sure.

The smaller group is bright and interested people but Heavy weight would likely be pushing it? All are D&D and MTG players so doesn't have to be too light either. Larger group is family and your assumptions about that should be accurate but we've all played party games like One Night Werewolf and Scattergories smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I entered an extreme rabbithole last night. Dizzying amount of games, so many seem good, watched sooo many videos. Still not settled unfortunately... some thoughts:

Weight should probably be below 3. I looked into Concordia Venus and Dune: Imperium and frankly I'm not going to convince anyone to sit down and watch a sufficiently long rules video. It's more something for pick up and play than for a dedicated group which I think weights above 3 are more suited towards. To this end for the smaller group I've "narrowed" it to: 7 Wonders (current winner I think), Dominion: Intrigue, Carcassone, Small World, Azul, Lords of Waterdeep or Raiders of the North Sea, or Modern Art. This group has Forbidden Island.

For the party game I'm still leaning Codenames but unsure how much people will enjoy a guessing game. So then leaning towards funny games like Stipulation or Snake Oil? But since we have Scattergories for jokes and maybe people want something more intriguing then Captain Sonar might foot the bill. No need for any deception games since One Night Werewolf is already available. Or maybe something like Crokinole or Klask ends up being more engaging over a few days? Wavelength seems really cool too but whyyy is it so expensive?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Hmm, from BGG:

"Dominion: Intrigue adds rules for playing with up to 8 players at two tables or for playing a single game with up to 6 players when combined with Dominion. This game adds 25 new Kingdom cards and a complete set of Treasure and Victory cards. The game can be played alone by players experienced in Dominion or with the basic game of Dominion."

Whatever YouTube I found for it said Intrigue is nice to start from. I trust the thread better though. I might not be able to swing big box so Dominion base if that's gonna safer then?

Also just saw Love Letter which at that price point I'm snatching up unless told otherwise.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Well the decision was whittled down by the LGS' stock in the end. Went in with the intention of grabbing Modern Art and 7 Wonders but they don't stock Modern Art at all! Went down a long list I had of backup stuff and the majority, sadly, were out of stock. I was really bummed especially about The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine after they said they had two and... no one could find them.

Grabbed 7 Wonders and talked my sister into grabbing Azul. Excited to try all of them out (including Forbidden Island which she's played but I haven't)! Thanks for all the help :)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Admiralty Flag posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I meant. I meant that I learned how to play from a video that I could (with a review of the rules to catch any gaps) teach Dune:Imperium. Concordia's even easier to teach because 90% of the rules are on the cards you play in the game. (The game rules are literally the front & back of a page.)

However, I must have had a total brain fart because I'm a big 7 Wonders stan and don't know how I missed recommending it as a solution for both your problems! Azul is a lot of fun too. You should be happy with your choices.

Gotcha, I still think they're in reach but for a more dedicated group. Having just played 7 Wonders I think the group was intimidated by the rules at first but found them breezy by end of game one. My feeling is that games'll always seem more complicated than they are til you play.

Anyway, easily claimed my first and only victory so far with a 52 point Rhodos.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

fr0id posted:

My LGS custom ordered a game for me (Tigris and Euphrates) back in the day. Had to pay MSRP though. If you’re dedicated to supporting then, though, ask them to order something. They should have a supplier they can get you the game from.

My sister went ahead and ordered Modern Art online before I saw this post! (She's super excited for it after we watched the How to Play together, thinks it's hilarious) The LGS is local to her but not me, I'd just rather give money to any LGS than Amazon. I'll let her know

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Downloaded the f2p Dominion and the two AI games I played both ended for reasons I don't understand? Provinces were not depleted nor three supply piles

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

silvergoose posted:

Two supply piles plus curses?

Magnetic North posted:

Or a game with the Properity expansion's Colonies?

No expansions. I figured it out though... I wasn't counting victory cards, treasures, or curses as part of the supply pile.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Heads up to any viewers of YT's Board Game Brawl https://cbs12.com/news/local/regist...ptember-13-2022 He's a nonce.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

armorer posted:

I had no idea that "nonce" has that meaning in UK slang. I've only ever heard it used in discussions related to cryptography.

This is the first I'm hearing of it having another meaning [pointing at each other from opposite cars meme]

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Quick reviews of games I've played this week:

7 Wonders - I enjoyed it. We played one 3-player match so I have barely much to go on. I will say that I wish it was more interactive as it's really a play your own board game more than anything else. Interaction is there but barely felt. Need to play more to see what shakes out but this may end up getting traded: 3-5 players means this might not see much play (plenty of friends not plenty of board game minded friends; gonna head to a local game shop when I'm back home and bring it along with), lower interactivity might mean its not to my taste (TBD).

Forbidden Island - Played four games with 2 players and two attempted (4-year old interrupted a lot) and one completed with 3 players. I found the first two games I ever played, the two-player ones, engaging and fun. Three players less so. Don't love the cooperative aspect here as it feels entirely like everyone is playing every character together rather than each playing a character independently and cooperating in some other way. Once the basics of the game are figured out there doesn't seem to be much else to figure out and you just play out the cards with your inputs being very predictable/optimized. By the last game I was fairly bored .

Azul - Love love love. Played two matches with three players and I'm excited to try a 2-player game. I think this is a nearly perfect fit. Nearly only because it might be more casual than I ultimately want. Still, I'm a fan of games that are strategic but casual, enough to not check out entirely but suited to be played over drinks and conversations. My sister picked this up but I'll definitely be getting it for myself.

The rest are digital games I snagged off Steam and Google Play intending to play them mostly solo or online if I feel it's worthwhile.

Game of Thrones: The Board Game - Hate this! I played the first two tutorials and just closed the third tutorial likely to never return. I think this style of game will never appeal to me (?) (See below). Never liked Risk either. This is my first absolute regret of a purchase but at $10 it's not too costly a lesson.

Small World - I'm sick to my stomach I can't tell if I enjoy this game or not!! Mostly I feel that I don't but for some reason I keep booting it up and playing games. I'm sick and I need some help. Cheap to pick up.

Catan - I hate this game? I don't understand the rules after the tutorial. I don't know when or why I can build settlements (or more accurately, why I can't when I have the resources to), I don't know what makes a starting position good or bad, I hate the dice. Trading with bots sucks rear end but I figured. Maybe this game is rescued with in person play but as of right now it's a hard pass. Game's free at least.

Dominion - Growing on me but super odd compared to card games I've played before (MTG, Gwent). Whereas getting the rules down isn't the biggest hurdle, figuring out what makes a good play, what engines are supposed to achieve, how to maintain an edge, how to close out and when, and a whole slew of stuff are still fairly opaque to me. It's still early on of course but if something doesn't click soon I can see myself abandoning it for good. Free to play.

Splendor - Sat through the tutorial then loaded up one game that I didn't complete for an interruption. Haven't opened the game again. It seems like it would take a really long time to finish a game and I'm not very grabbed by the mechanics of it. Will revisit but right now it's strongly Meh. Free to play.

Railroad Ink - Meh. It's fine. Passes the time I guess. Not exciting to play solo and I don't see any benefit to playing with anyone else either. Decent turn-off-your-brain and chill game. Will probably play another dozen or so games then ignore it forever. Four bucks on Google Play.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Cheers, appreciate the replies!

Triskelli posted:

Tutorial probably missed out on explaining that you can’t build a settlement within one space of another settlement

Buy Condotierre, it’s literally gwent but you can play it with 2-6 people well more like, Gwent is literally Condotierre but copyright law is fucky for games

E: I haven’t bought it, but the 2018 printing has a two player mode that’s has some significant rules changes

A space being an entire tile rather than a side of one, yes?

Not ready to invest in a card game just yet and I might be Gwent'd out entirely having dumped several hundred hours into the digital standalone version after spending most of my W3 playing Gwent anyway. If (when) I do pick anything it'll probably be Marvel Champions or Marvel Legends or similar since I hear so much good about them.

Admiralty Flag posted:

When you're ready for a heavy game and you want a co-op game where everyone is playing themselves, try Spirit Island. But it's heavy. Aeon's End might be a lighter co-op game you enjoy where everyone's playing themselves. "Quarterbacking" is the bane of a lot of co-op games, which is the close cousin of what you were describing.

7 Wonders is best at 4-5, I think, but can play well at any number from 3-7. Interactivity actually goes up as player count goes down. There are four types of Interactivity, broadly speaking:
1. Military
2. Resources
3. Burying (through discarding, building a wonder, or building suboptimally) stuff your neighbor(s) wants
4. Making sure G doesn't end up with all the science cards for the 98th game in a row by burying them before G gets them (every 7W group has a G)

#1 is part of the game, and you should be doing #2 (they need four stone to build final wonder stage? Don't help them out by playing the fourth stone unless you need it). #4 is the duty of every red-blooded 7W player. But, regarding #3, in a 3-4 player game, you can be looking at what everyone needs, not just the person you're passing to at the moment, and deny them their stuff. In any case, even in a 7 player game, you should still be doing #3 to the player you're passing to.

I can't stop hearing about Spirit Island so I've been eyeing it and finally sat down to watch a proper, not 3 minute, review today!

https://youtu.be/Qj2OTrksMuY

It seems about perfect. The review made me realize that yeah it was a quarterbacking type thing nagging me. I'm trying to sell my bestie on it now.

I groked those 7W lines/interactions one the first play and it's the "interaction is there" I mentioned. One of the other two players also figured them out quickly but the third never did. I'm not giving up on 7W at all, I do like it but right now I'm wondering if a. I can meet the Best player count regularly enough to actually justify owning it b. Interactions feel more meaningful more regularly than they did.

Tried a 3-handed earlier and I'm probably not gonna be doing that regularly either.

PRADA SLUT posted:

if you want engines, play Ascension. Designed by MTG pros, it leaned into the "find combos from this flop" (and listening to people whine because "you took the card I wanted, this game isn't fair").

I think the base set is free on iOS as well, which tbh is the best way to play deck builders because you don't have to shuffle piles and keep track of coins and poo poo. It's also got a starter collection for like $15 or something ("Ascension Eternal")

This looks up my alley, I'll add it to the list!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Gloomhaven (Digital) FREE on Epic Games from today til the 29th

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I told all my friends to get it because it's free, doesn't even need to get installed, and maybe one day they'll want to play with me. Everyone's just said sure and grabbed it

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Played my first Modern Art. I absolutely bodied my two opponents (also first timers) who couldn't break $150 (can't remember exactly) while I ended with like $600. This lead to some feels bad from one opponent who accused me of fumbling the banking role? [To be fair my strategy looked way different than theirs, in the first two rounds they had collectively bought far more paintings than I did, I had like two or three per round. I just drove up bids on stuff and got them to chase, pulling bids as high as $100 and $200 rather than rely on selling to the bank as heavily as they did. I played them more than the board/bank while they hyperfocused on the end of the round.] I won't play with them again til November but it's funny that one of them just loves auction games (newly discovered) while the other doesn't like losing to a score only shown on that end. Is that irreconcilable? Doesn't really matter just curious.

The game is really fun and I definitely recommend it. But we ran into one immediate thing we kind of didn't like, which is that ties go to the left. So the cards do have inherent value beyond what's in your hand and what you think is pretty which is... I'm not sure if it's good or bad. I don't know, I like getting into character and I'd rather things lean more towards subjectivity.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 26, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

an actual dog posted:

I love Modern Art but I've had basically this exact experience with it. Players don't remember that they pay to the player selling a card, and chase five point payouts while the person who's selling cards is making 5x that. I think a table that fully understood the game would try for way higher profit margins. But we all enjoyed it a lot even in a janky table, one of the players basically chased whatever art they liked the most Lol

Anyway I actually like the ties go to the left feature, the card counts are balanced around it and makes each artist feel unique in a numbers way. And yeah, there can be only one that gets to 5 so it isn't like game defining.

Wait but the fifth card is immediately discarded when it's played, no? It's not auctioned off? This was so unclear in the rules and video but it's the only interpretation we could get. Play the fifth to close the round but don't auction it. This meant most of the rounds had four count ties.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Mr. Squishy posted:

The 5th card isn't auctioned off, but it does help decide what cards are worth that season. At least that's the case in the Mayfair version. I remember because the helpful little explainer highlights some ill-considered terminology. Something like "Remember to evaluate all sold cards, even the 5th card which is not auctioned off :)". Modern Art has enough editions, each having to rewrite the rulebook, that edge cases are even hazier than normal. Other examples are does art always pay its value(s) from previous seasons, even if they weren't in the top 3 this year? (no in Mayfair, seems to be yes in Oink), or what the gently caress happens if you only play 1 "double auction" card.

I'm not sure what version we got, whatever the base one is?

Those two cases, as per this rulebook: art only pays its value from previous seasons if it was hot this season (10, 20, or 30) and you can unload a lone 2x by playing it, then the person to the left can play one of the same suit to complete the 2x and they become auctioneer, passing to the left. If they can't then they pass to the left and it's the same deal. I don't know what happens if you play a 2x and no one has a matching suit to play?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Ah, yes, that's true. It never came up but the rules man said it in his video

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Wrapped up my first board game night. Lovely group except for one obnoxious player. Five including me but was told repeatedly it was "extremely" unusual with the group usually being 10+.

It was kind of a mess but it turned out for the best cause it being messy caused us to play a ton of games. We played Avalon, Skull, Outburst!, Codenames, Wits & Wagers and possibly one other I'm forgetting, in under three hours. Although it's hard to get into a game that you learn and play once then move on I appreciated getting to see what types of games different players preferred.

Skull was my favorite with Avalon being second but deception games make me so nervous. I'm glad I didn't get the enemy role I'm a really poo poo liar. And of course we only played the one round lmao so phew..

All in all I had a great time and I'll head back next week!

PS: My major motivation for going was to try out Spirit Island, which I didn't expect for today, but they don't have it for play or for sale so lmao

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 28, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Is there a way to filter games in my collection by recommended player count on BGG? Or some non-native way that I can?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Fate Accomplice posted:

geekgroup is amazing. I've set up automatic lists for each optimal player count and one for each regular meetup I do. every month they pull in my collection changes from BGG; makes choosing what to play a comparative breeze.

This looks great. I need to play with it a bit more but from what I've tried on my phone it's not pulling anything in my Collection listed as Want to Play, and only pulling games Owned.

Can you share those lists, Fate?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I backed the Naturopolis Kickstarter after hearing so much good about Sprawlopolis and it seems like a good deal. I went with the $12 pledge to get Naturopolis and its two expansion then threw $11 on top of it to get Sprawlopolis base. Naturopolis, like Agropolis, is standalone but able to be combined with either of the other two. I didn't pick up Combopolis which let's me combine Sprawl and Natur cause it's bundled with the other Combo which is for Agro which I'm slipping for now. So I'll probably shell out a few for that sometime down the line.

I think Naturopolis is much prettier than Agropolis, which is also not as pretty as Sprawlopolis. That's how I decided to skip it entirely for now or good.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

FirstAidKite posted:

Got another escape puzzle game in the mail, some minis, and the etherfields cat mini expansion. How's everyone doing? Get any fun new games or got anything exciting on your radar?

I continue to buy and play games, which is very nice. These are the new additions I haven't mentioned in this thread:

Onirim (Digital) (Android) - really enjoyable little solitaire game. First app expansion is free but I haven't tried it. Someone good at board games tell me what a reasonable WR is, there's some hands/draws I think are straight up impossible. It's pretty involved in terms of keeping track of what's going on to make optimal plays so I see a lot more Railroad Ink play cause I'm typically in the mood for something mindless, relaxing, and cute.

Two from Digidiced sale ($0.99 each, down from $5, sale is still up I'm pretty sure):

Cottage Garden - pretty visually ugly in the app. Didn't finish the tutorial. Will try some other time.

Indian Summer - haven't opened this yet

And one half of an Amazon order came in:

The Crew: Quest for Planet Nine - really loving this. Played up to mission 5 with a couple friends who also got into it pretty quickly. Seems like a really excellent game for getting people who don't play board/card games to the table. Bonus: fits well enough in my tote bag

Still waiting on Warp's Edge which should get here this week. Snagged it for 50% off which I'm pretty hype about cause the deal disappeared quickly and lots of people missed out on it.

Heading to my 2nd Board Game Night tonight!

Now looking forward to the Target B2G1 Board Games sale (10/6 to 10/8). Nothing keeps you from buying three copies and returning two for a quick 33% off. Gonna have a friend get Horizons of Spirit Island for $20 while I pick up Under falling Skies for about $18. Then I'll hopefully stop spending money for a little while.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Heading to my 2nd Board Game Night tonight!

We played Betrayal at House on the Hill. I ended up as the traitor, Number 61, Captain Sting's Revenge.

Unfortunately we fully played started too late and played too slow (half the group, including myself, were new to the game) to actually finish. Regardless I really enjoyed it - I've never played another game in the same style so it was really fresh and exciting!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The table was pretty sure that we (I played on a team of 2) (traitor) couldn't be beat, which we agreed with... but we didn't play it out so who knows. The atmosphere is great and everyone got really invested, whole table had fun even thinking they couldn't win I think. I'd definitely play again but right now I'm of the mind to try as many different games as I can manage and not in the mood to sink another 2.5 hrs into it for some time, finish or not. Not the game's fault there though.

The other two tables were playing Anno 1800, which looked really dry so I opted out, and Root which I didn't get invited to cause it had started 30 minutes before I arrived.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Horizons of Spirit Island and Under Falling Skies successfully snagged at 33% off. Horizons will arrive this weekend and Skies next weekend!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
FYI the base, full game is on sale for $52.99 https://www.target.com/p/spirit-island-board-game/-/A-52855127 So you can have it for $35 with the 2-fer.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

PerniciousKnid posted:

I need to come up with games for the B2G1 at Target. Probably Horizon and a couple 6yo-friendly games.

Is Monopoly Rivals any good? My kid likes Monopoly.

Bottom Liner posted:

You can buy 3 cancel 2 and keep the discount

Mostly everyone grabs three and cancels two buuut if you're wanting to have three games anyway then the best discount will hit if games are similarly priced so keep that in mind. The discount will be applied to the cheapest game.

Here's an incomplete list of Target's inventory: https://www.target.com/c/board-games-puzzles-toys/-/N-5xt9hZdq4mn?moveTo=product-list-grid Not listed there: King's Dilemma, Marvel Dice Throne, Betrayal at Baldur's Gate, Raccoon Tycoon, Railroad Ink: Blazing Road, Codenames, Bananagrams.

I don't know children that well and especially cause my hunch is that there's huge variability between what any given six year old can grok. That said, if they like Monopoly - Machi Koro, Raccoon Tycoon, and Sushi Go! scratch the same sort of itch. I don't know about Monopoly Rivals, sorry!

Dixit is a safe choice and Codenames probably is too. I remember playing Rummikub with my grandparents about that age and enjoying it.

Edit: I guess Amazon has a concurrent B2G1 Board Games sale running

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 7, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Just exactly like that. It's prorated. Add 3 to cart, purchase as 3, cancel 2 of them, the final charge will be the game with 33% off. It'll display the receipt with the discount and taxes for you after you cancel two so you'll see it applied.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Complete the order then immediately go into Orders and cancel from there. It's not really the confirmation, it's just pending orders. It'll probably still work if you don't do it immediately after but you might have to wait 3-5 days for your CC to get everything sorted if you wait. I just completed the order and canceled them from the Orders menu as fast as I could manage. Everything looks sorted.

Edit: the deal is not limited per account. It's probably not limited per order either but I did mine in two separate orders to get 33% off both games. If I was buying a third it's probably still best to buy all three in this way unless they are very similarly priced.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 7, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Warp's Edge arrived yesterday and I got it to the table today. Only played the one game cause I felt a touch fried after - just from keeping up with the rules and making sure I was doing everything properly, including a few Google searches.

Decided to go with the scenario book which after the CYOA had me in a Titan, with a Power Skill, facing a Hydra (Two Star difficulty). Besides getting the rules down I think it was a little easy although I did get to Warp 4 and only won for a good draw. Had a lot of fun, looking forward to another go!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Got Horizons of Spirit Island to the table for one player finally. Played a number of games between yesterday and today. First... too many games was just for learning the rules. This is the highest complexity game I've played yet and keeping all the triggers, options, and rules in mind proved a fair challenge. The two rules in particular that I got wrong for three (?) games were: Reclaim cards - I was reclaiming one card rather than the pile. Predictably I used that Growth ability about once before abandoning it until getting stuck with nothing in hand and feeling forced to use it; Towns generate 1 fear when destroyed, cities generate 2... I was generating none.

I lost those games handily but they did drag on for a while. Now I've got the rules down the game feels a little too easy, unfortunately, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just ponied up the extra money for the base game. The spirits I've played:

Fathomless Mud of the Swamp - abusing innate generates fear quickly and gaining sacred sites isn't difficult enough to temper the special power. Stopping towns and cities getting built and generating fear from innate and cards gets a win from Level 2 or 3 victory conditions fairly quickly.

Eyes Watch from the Trees - pumps out tons of fear making winning by drawing out the pile the obvious strategy. Drawing out Paralyzing Fear or similar makes this dead simple while maintaining huge board control.

I haven't tried adding the Enhancement option yet and these are the only two spirits I've tried. It's possible the Enhancement difficulty kick makes a Mud victory harder but it won't do anything for Eyes who can basically ignore towns and cities except to counter ravages. Other than Enhancement there's no way to increase the difficulty except adding stuff from the base game. Which might be perfectly fine to PnP but right now I wish I had a more difficult game in my box or an option for a more difficult game directly in it.

To be clear I really really enjoy the game and think it's fantastic. I'm not sure if starting with Horizons is necessary but I have no way to (from experience) compare Horizons spirits to the lowest difficulty spirits in the base game. I think the option to play without scenarios, adversaries, and blight cards in the base game kinda obviates the need for Horizons which is probably best suited for people who want to add the extra spirits, errata'd cards, or whatever else to their base game.

Edit: the strong feeling I get despite not having played the base is that the game is simplified/balanced around assuming the player will mostly fail to generate useful elements. But then it hits you over the head with elements by putting them on tracks making that not really a problem at all?
Edit 2: as a game to get you to buy the base game it's a remarkable achievement I'll give them that
Edit 3: Progression cards don't really have a place in this game. Not fun even for a new player trying to learn. I ditched it after the first game - my problems with the rules were apart from figuring out what cards I want in hand. I think Progression cards have the potential to be used as a difficulty lever though, by making the game more difficult but even then it would suck out too much fun to be worth it

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 17, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
No I mean that the design philosophy balances the game against the mistakes it assumes the player will make in its goal of making it a noob friendly game

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Unclear but seems like the Incarna tokens replace presence tokens for those spirits?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
First game of Root for me. We played with an expansion to get 5 people on the board. Never seen a game with more AP, we went for 3.5 hrs and had to end for the shop closing, leader (Crows) ended with 24 points.

I chose Woodland Alliance and struggled worse than any other player at the table. I think only one other person was new to the game but besides one or two players it was a 1st or 2nd game. I probably Battled too much and it gained me nothing due to some bad rolls (tie rolls) which really set me behind. Also figured out too late that it's better in the mid to late to shore up Sympathy in the Evening rather than during Birdsong? I fought a bunch because the sympathy track can't hit 30 on its own... I had a bird card that wins after 10 pts if you have opposite corner bases but having no presence on the board at start of game made that pretty much a non-starter.

Any tips? Just to have in my back pocket cause I don't know when I'll want to play for over 3 hours with no true resolution again, haha. First game I've really seen with that much AP and with one player in particular being notoriously stunlocked during their turns...

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 19, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Inadequately posted:

There isn't really a lot you can do to vary up this playstyle, it's pretty much the only way the Woodland Alliance plays and the only spin you can really put on it is how quickly you advance along its various stages and how you respond By the way, maybe I'm misreading it but were you scoring points for every Sympathy token you put down? The sympathy track isn't 'you have X points for having this much sympathy on the board', it's how much VP you gain for each Sympathy token you put down on the board, with each new one being worth more for how much you already have. Also, don't forget you can craft to earn VP, using Sympathetic areas for crafting requirements.

Nah I was adding points written on the track. I'm seeing a different board online than I played with cause my first sympathy gained nothing rather than +1 and if I remember correctly there's some point changes to the 2nd and 3rd cost sympathies. I added them up and they add to shy of 30 --- 27 I think?

Reading a bit now and I definitely spent too many supporters garnering sympathy when I had good options to remove warriors to play sympathy instead. I'd also avoid having 3 bases as early on as I did since it ruins my Revolt threat (to be fair I didn't realize I could only revolt in spaces that don't match a base I already have). Beyond that I should've been playing to put down sympathy for crafting to get points there rather than through outright takeovers. A lot of my crafting I threw to Supporters and only crafted bird cards for fights. Not the best strategy!

I think I'd prefer a different faction to be honest but yeah I misplaced it pretty hard I think. Either that or WA shouldn't be played on boards with 5 players... hard to say.

LifeLynx posted:

Spirit Island Horizons solo is really easy for even a lapsed veteran player with rusty skills like me to win solo. I played three times, and had confined the invaders to the coast very early without even trying to do anything special. I really want to try these new spirits solo against real adversaries though. There are some spirits in the full content that I wouldn't play anymore because they were too boring, and some that were too powerful to be fun, but these seem like they'd be a good balanced challenge.

Yeah it's too easy for me and I'm a dumb bitch who's generally new to board games and largely dumb as hell.

And it's so weird cause the complexity means it's not particularly inviting for children who would have an easier time with a lower difficulty game. Unless someone is managing steps and triggers for them I don't see it being particularly fun for them either.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Wheeler W Wetherby posted:

I've been enjoying it as something I can breeze through in a lunch break. The new spirits are definitely less mentally intensive, which makes me more effective. For new players though, you still have the same minor and major power cards as the base game which have been the biggest barrier to me introducing it to non-hobbyist gamers. You're always having to think oh I can't use that there because it's too far or the wrong terrain or there's blight.

It makes me wish they had made a new deck of simplified power cards that are still compatible with the base game where maybe there's only four elements, all ranges are 1 and effective on all terrain, and each card does one simple thing. See how well the bones of the game hold up when players don't have to think too hard about what their cards can do and can focus on what's the best option now. And then adding a basic adversary to increase the difficulty without increasing mental load.

I've won most of my games by drawing out the Fear deck, mostly abusing Paralyzing Fear. I was one blight away from a loss with 1P Wind Cat but won by playing Paralyzing Fear in the penultimate round and then reclaiming for the replay to end the game before their next ravage. Actually it was super narrow in the penultimate round, I almost lost then but a one energy defend 2 in all lands and Wind Cat's Special saved me. [I played this game with the higher difficulty rule]

I've leaned heavily into drawing out the entirety of the Fear deck with both Spooky Eyes and Wind Cat. Only other spirit I've tried is Mud Otter which can either do the same or just wipe out buildings which is easy enough when the Special prevents them getting built. I'm not sure how the former two would manage with detuned Power cards cause their damage really can't keep up. I also haven't found range, land type ranges, and target land restrictions particularly punishing though.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Please tell me how to beat Under Falling Skies I'm floundering. I managed Roswell 0 easy enough but I'm getting spanked on New York 0! I don't want to flip it over for New York -0.5 lol please help me

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Magnetic North posted:

I am a newbie but I'll take a stab at it. First off, to make sure you don't have a rule wrong. Review Paul Grogan's excellent short series of rules videos on the topic: Video 1 Video 2

Just confirming: Are you sure you're playing at difficulty 0? The pink splotchy sides are harder, so go with all the basic sides to be at 0.
Are you removing white ships when you destroy them? They only go back to the mothership if they hit the base. (Pinks always go back.)
Remember that Jet Fighter Rooms destroy ALL ships on explosion spaces with value equal or less than the room value, not just ones in the same column.
Consider intentionally moving the Mothership to avoid cave-ins and research if necessary, particularly to skip a Research destruction where you'd go back over a very high number.
Don't be afraid to use the AA guns, particularly with low numbers. They may feel like a waste but it does help over time.
For New York specifically, we had success putting the robot into the Energy Room in row 3, column 5, just below the starting space of the Excavator.
For New York specifically, don't forget that to get the final 11, you must use the Multi-Room Research Room on row 6, columns 1 and 2 so as Alec Baldwin says: ABE. Always Be Excavating.

I'll check the videos but of what you've mentioned here I'm not misplaying the rules.

Intentionally moving the Mothership is a great idea. I strictly avoided it as a lose condition but yeah there can be some good payoffs too...

I use the AA guns pretty regularly. I think in general I am putting too many resources into blowing up ships and taking that over research too often. If I see a path for a multi-ship removal in the Rooms Phase I usually jump at it. Then I scramble when the mothership is low to pump out research. Normally I can pump it out insanely quickly but I can't really do that while also keeping my energy up so I lose to low energy.

I think I need to get research in earlier, angle mothership away from research removal, and let ships hit the city more early on rather than putting myself in a bind when I'm willing to trade hits for research but the ships are all coming in low and can finish me off of bad rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'll check the videos but of what you've mentioned here I'm not misplaying the rules.

Intentionally moving the Mothership is a great idea. I strictly avoided it as a lose condition but yeah there can be some good payoffs too...

I use the AA guns pretty regularly. I think in general I am putting too many resources into blowing up ships and taking that over research too often. If I see a path for a multi-ship removal in the Rooms Phase I usually jump at it. Then I scramble when the mothership is low to pump out research. Normally I can pump it out insanely quickly but I can't really do that while also keeping my energy up so I lose to low energy.

I think I need to get research in earlier, angle mothership away from research removal, and let ships hit the city more early on rather than putting myself in a bind when I'm willing to trade hits for research but the ships are all coming in low and can finish me off of bad rolls.

Okay yeah this totally worked. I also moved to excavate as quickly as I could manage, routinely going 5 or 6 excavation spaces. Ended the game, New York 0, having taken 2 damage to the city with 2 mothership turns remaining. So won it not particularly tight. Large improvement.

Stupid question, probably no: can robots excavate? Presumably if they can, you remove the robot during the excavation play as usual?