Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Good games that the OP excludes because they're >$100 and/or too complex for new people:

Too Many Bones

Condense a fantasy epic into a few hours, except you're playing as something out of like an 80's Jim Henson-esque movie. All your skills are on unique dice, so you grab your clutch and throw. No pencils, no calculating a bunch of boring modifiers, and because the game is so short, all your 'earnings' are meaningful and fast.

Components are.. interesting. All your skills come from dice, completely unique to each character. All characters and enemies are represented with poker chips. Even your life is on chips stacked under you, leading to some comedy as you take damage and watch your character shrink down beside towering enemies. Your character "tableau" is a neoprene mat with holes punched in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr43RVRtv8s
A good review.

If you're lost as to what to buy, I would buy the base game, and then if you're into it, grab Undertow. From there, it's pretty open. 40 Days adds new encounter cards and enemies. Splice & Dice is a mishmash of content, including some "hard mode" bosses if you've gotten too good at beating up the base game bosses. There's a pile of characters and addons as well.

You could play this with new people who are used to D&D or similar (so long as you already know how to play).

Lisboa

Rebuild the city of Lisboa after the fire/flood/earthquake of the 1750sish, by scooting cubes. The smuggest king since Caylus.

I would describe it as the ideal representation of Euro game. Lots of small pathway decisions with a central focus of re-building the city. Components that are fancy as gently caress. Double-thick cardboard tokens, nice recessed player tableaus, slick card finishes, little wooden pieces, and small booklets as player aids. Definitely a game that impresses.

If you've got a hardcore Euro group, this is the one to play.

Rococo

Make fancy dresses for Louis XV's fancy party. Send people out to get cloth, patterns, tufts, or whatever else you need to make a fancy dress (or puffy pantaloons or whatever it is the men wear). Put your fancy dresses somewhere in the party house and watch the game board fill up as people fight to have the most fancy dresses in the different party rooms.

Like Lisboa (same publisher), absolutely baller components:

Wanna make a dress with those tufts. Metal coins if you want them.

Not very hard to play, could pull this one off with new people who have played most any other modern games.

Anachrony

Escape your people from a big bad planetary meteor crash by going forward in time and getting things from your future self, but then repaying it later (or not, I suppose) before a singularity eats your things. Make other players upset when you leave them behind and fly away before impact. Build weird buildings inside your district to prepare for escape, or send your people to planet surface in a Gundam to Get Stuff, but those things aren't cheap to power up.

See forward in time to know what technology you'll develop next turn, just in case you want to grab the resources for it. Or, if you miss out, I suppose you can always build an engine to send yourself back to a previous turn and build the project then, materializing it in your present existence. Pay back those "borrowed" resources while you're at it.

Can also get ~fancy paintable robots~ that your people sit in, if you really want them. New print runs of this game split out the content into a few different boxes to change the pricing around.

Other cheap and/or good games for new people:

Flamme Rouge

Old-timey bicycle race. Vroom your riders around different tracks to finish first. Start with a fresh deck of high-movement cards, and slowly lose them as you play them each turn. Pace your riders to the end -- pulling too far ahead gives you low-value exhaustion cards, but sticking close to the pack might give you some free movement as you slipstream in another riders wake, waiting for the opportunity to sprint ahead. Or, get clogged up behind in a comical pile as people suck wind going up the final hills.

Short and easy to play.

The Quacks of Quedlinburg

Make the best potion for the fair by chucking in ingredients at random from your bag. Each ingredient gives you a bonus and makes your potion even more impressive, but go too far and the entire thing explodes in your face. Did I mention you can't ever look at the ingredients in your bag? How many of those moths did you buy again?

This is a good party game / family game / light-ish game and good "skill equalizer", since most of the game revolves around how much risk you're willing to take on as you keep reaching into that bag. Note that there are some swings of good/bad luck, so don't play this one with a group of whiners who will get butt-hurt about how "fair/unfair" a game about making wizard potions might be.

The two Expansions are Herb Witches and Alchemists. Herb Witches adds some new ingredients and some "once-per-game" witch stalls to grand you a special ability (maybe you need to unexplode that pot?), Alchemists adds some interesting asymmetry as you pick an "ailment" you like to cure, granting you some extra buying power, a more stable pot, or maybe just supercharging your ingredients?

If you're cheap, you can also buy coin capsules (like what coin collectors use) to put your ingredients in. If you're not cheap, you can get a set of fancy plastic ingredients that make huge shaking sounds when you dig through your sack, and also cost as much as the game.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

silvergoose posted:

They're all links to good descriptions of the game on BGG, which is even more helpful!

Just put like “Flamme Rouge - Race bicycles around a track”. If they want more details they can click through to the BGG page.

Unless you’re suggesting someone click through 40 games with no helpful context to a massive synopsis of each one.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Leperflesh posted:

This is a good suggestion, maybe you can give it a go for a few, if several people write like 5 each, they'd all be written up pretty quickly.

This is what I've got from the games I've played enough of to make a statement. For "post length" reasons they're extra short, but are probably enough to gauge thematic interest from someone who has no idea what any of these names mean.

quote:

2 Player games
Note: Starred* games can play a different number than 2 but are suggested for 2.
Light Games
Codenames Duet (Co-op)
Onitama -- Martial arts chess
The Fox in the Forest [card] -- Hearts with special powers
Patchwork -- Build patchwork quilts from scraps
Jaipur
Santorini
Azul* -- Lay elaborate Portuguese tile patterns
Air, Land, & Sea [card] -- Military tactics in three theaters of war
Sprawlopolis*
Battle Line

Medium Games
7 Wonders Duel -- Build the best ancient settlement
Watergate
Tak
Res Arcana*
Marvel Champions*
Antike Duellum
Race for the Galaxy*
BattleCON*

Heavy Games
Blue Moon Legends
Tash-Kalar
Spirit Island* -- Defend your island spirit home from colonizers
Roads and Boats*

3-5 Player games
Light Games
Kingdomino
For Sale
Railroad Ink
High Society
The Resistance: Avalon -- Find the traitors in King Arthur's time
Carcassonne -- Build a French medieval landscape
The Quest for El Dorado
Lost Cities Rivals
Condottiere
The Crew (Co-Op) or The Crew: Deep Sea (Co-op)

Medium Games
Tiny Towns
Parks
Arboretum
Through the Desert
Calico
Modern Art
The Estates
Irish Gauge
Pandemic (Co-op) or Pandemic:Iberia (Co-op) -- Stop diseases from wiping out humanity
Broom Service
Roll for the Galaxy -- Build a space empire
Hansa Teutonica
Concordia or Concordia Venus
Orleans -- Trade and build in medieval France

Heavy Games
Keyflower
Dungeon Petz
Agricola -- Build a medieval farmstead and feed the family
Root
Great Western Trail
Caylus -- Build a city around a French castle
Pax Pamir, 2nd Edition
A Feast for Odin -- Build a viking settlement
Brass Birmingham -- Develop railways during the industrial revolution
Food Chain Magnate
The Gallerist
Gaia Project

6+ Player games
Light Games
Just One (Co-op)
Men at Work
Insider
Wavelength -- Guess what your teammates think of an idea
Skull [card] -- Bluffing with drink coasters
A Fake Artist Goes to New York -- Find the artist who doesn't actually know what they're drawing
Deep Sea Adventure
Junk Art
Codenames

Medium Games
Startups
Flamme Rogue -- Race bicycles around a course
Paper Tales
First Contact
7 Wonders, 2nd Edition -- Build your civilizations wonder of the world

Heavy Games
Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant

I also noted "card" games specifically since "card game" people will easily play similar games but not if you throw a board in front of it (e.g., Flamme Rouge) even if the mechanics are card-specific.

Also, Caylus 1303 should probably replace "regular" Caylus.

Can adjust so it's not as much "build a thing" description, but a some of the original suggestions are basically iterations of the same game (Agricola and A Feast For Odin)?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 30, 2021

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Magnetic North posted:

Hey, just for funsies, click that hyperlink to the BGG page. At the top, they've added the ability to suggest a one sentence description for games. For AFfO, it says, "Puzzle together the life of a Viking village as you hunt, farm, craft, and explore." That's a nice description, and hits the type of game, the theme and a few key actions. Why would someone write a description when one already exists? It's almost as if BGG has already crowdsourced this labor. Because it has.

Holy poo poo, yours is laconic to the point of uselessness. Please consider writing one for every game. I am not going to use them, but every one you write is less time you spend posting in this thread.

Okay, then put those descriptions on there instead. It’s more helpful for new people to whom the names mean nothing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Stickman posted:

BSG has the tentacle remake, but what’s out-Space Alerted Space Alert?

There's nothing wrong with Space Alert, but it's not really an "introduction to board games" style of game, especially when you have more options in the co-op space in the 13 years since its release. It's also hard to keep track of what's happening if you're new, and the "lol don't worry about it just watch the chaos" isn't always broadly appealing. It's a niche game.

I'd still play it if someone put it on the table, but I can't think of anyone who I'd think "yeah.. Space Alert is what's going to get them into this hobby", especially when I'm staring down like.. Quacks of Quedlinburg (chaos) or Pandemic (co-op) or Flamme Rouge (play some cards). Even Magic Maze if I think they would love real-time.

Space Alert fits into the "someone who already plays some board games but want's something a bit weird and different than what they know"

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 31, 2021

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I use KMC Perfect fits for normal sleeves since they don’t add bulk and cards fit in boxes better.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Year-end stats:

Missing a handful of "didn't bother to keep score" games of Monikers and some other PnPs, but otherwise good. The "all of your kickstarter games are getting delayed 9 more months hope you didn't want to play anything since march" was rather disappointing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Board Game Stats, with whatever the "insights" add-on was. Syncs with BGG, which is nice.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Kickstarter success:

majestic as gently caress

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like Ascension, it's probably my favorite of the "straight" deck builders. It's more variant/tactical than Dominion. I've probably played a thousand games of it on iOS as well, since it simplifies shuffling and counting.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
10/10 would go there

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Archenteron posted:

Vlaada has a market row game?

Bunny Bunny Moose Moose

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jedit posted:

Laughing my rear end off at them including a place to play digital Cards Against Humanity, aka Apples to Apples: Casual Bigotry Edition.

You don’t get it, you’re just not playing with the right people, ones who don’t use “the three-fifths clause” as relating to race.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Rococo is good and the experience is nice, especially with the upgraded pieces. It’s got that same “elegant” feel as Lisboa. It’s not particularly complex either.

Easily made it to my shelf.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Lisboa has better mechanics (and is a better game from the same publisher at the same price) but the experience of playing Rococo is what carries it. The pieces are nice and it’s fun to build the dresses and see the board build up, with enough depth that it’s not a dumb game of “pick resources and build a thing”

Given the choice I would take Lisboa over Rococo (though I own both) but I wouldn’t turn down Rococo or “always” play a similar game over it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I still need to really play my copy of Radlands. The production value doesn’t disappoint though. They use the same PVC cards as Too Many Bones.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Opinion on Final Girl ?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Gejimayu posted:

I want to get a couple worker placement games as I like the idea but haven't really clicked with one yet. I had and sold Agricola (found it to be lacking in fun choices), and I have Sons of Anarchy which I enjoy a bit. We mostly play deck building games or roll for the galaxy (WP adjacent i suppose?) for our medium weight euro fix. We play at 2 usually. I was thinking I'd try Viticulture as a strictly worker placement game and wanted to pick up one of the newer hybrid ones like everdell or arnak. Any recommendations? I prefer games with a bit more interaction usually. Concordia sounded interesting but doesn't seem great at 2?

Champions of Midgard or Anachrony

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Magnetic North posted:

There are various reasons why goons should pass this project, mostly Kickstarter's crypto baloney and Mayday and all their shell-game shell corporations being shady in various ways. I know there have been other controversies including ones about their board quality and to quote one redditor: "Beware Mayday games. Period. They've been a shitshow forever."

You mentioned Tracey, and you can get one of their boards for about twice as much (about $240 usd?): https://www.crokinolegameboards.com/crokinole-boards/ which is obviously a lot of money and a lot more money than Mayday's offering, but not dealing with a two terrible companies simultaneously might be worth it to you. I also do not know if they deliver to the upside-down countries.

Hi, Blockchain != Crypto

Kickstarter likely just uses blockchain to decentralize transactions so they can absolve themselves of liability for chargebacks / failed projects and facilitate pledge selling.

Unless you can point me to an exchange where Kickstarter is actually selling crypto.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The face of not building the castle because some gently caress moved the provost again

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Artisans of Splendent Vale pledge manager is back open for a little while. Get it while you can.

e: my bad, was actually the preorder? Or something? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/renegadegamestudios/artisans-of-splendent-vale/posts/3411893

e: found preorder here https://renegadegamestudios.com/artisans-of-splendent-vale/

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 25, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Furthermore, I’m tired of charades. Don’t people know the calories they expend gesticulating and yelling are creating negative value equivalent to the cost of consumption?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ubik_Lives posted:

I feel like Prada had a point here, because while using a blockchain system is hideously inefficient compared to traditional methods, it's orders of magnitude better than Bitcoin.

I hope Kickstarter switches to an all-Bitcoin model so the $300 all-in pledges only cost about $25 by the time the funding period ends.

Actual game chat: Is Puzzle Strike 2... good? Bad? Want to wave that wand around ngl.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 25, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

Crosspostin, cause more people should own Crokinole

:siren: Mayday 2020 Crokinole Board is live and still only $99usd :siren:

Wave 1 ships in June!

Saw this, does a $100 board hold up or is it better to get a higher-end one from elsewhere?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Slimy Hog posted:

Can we take this to QCS or something? I'm not liking this pages-long derail about Prada slut and crypto.

Content: what are everyone's favorite solo-only games?

Still waiting to hear how Final Girl Season 2 plays out

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Redundant posted:

I play some games solo but don't own any solo only games. I was tempted by the French resistance game and Final Girl but decided against both for one reason or another.

After all the Crokinole chat, and seeing that delivery on the Kickstarter is as much as the board itself, I decided to just buy Klask instead. My limited storage space will appreciate it and I'll probably play it more because of it being at least vaguely portable. Any opinions from the thread about it?

I like it. It’s got more of a hectic air hockey / foosball feel than crockinole.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Slimy Hog posted:

2nd-ing this. My hot take is that Gloomhaven is only fine

A spicy take

that I agree with

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Haha, drat. 18 pages? A new record.

e: in board game news I’m wondering if I should even open my gloomhaven or if I should just play on Steam. Any opinions?

I haven’t played digital but the setup and bookkeeping sucks

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I played Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective with my wife but it would easily work as a solo game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Eyes Have It posted:

My biggest pain point in Gloomhaven was managing all the health tracking for all the enemies (and when you get to four players, there are a LOT of enemies and they have a lot of health). Even using some small d10 dice to track health gets super clunky as enemy count rises.

I bought some little stands that have life spinners built in.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I used these PLASTIC bases (they had white paint on the numbers).

I didn't want to use an app for bookkeeping (like Descent), but I did use an app for a spoiler-free room setup and campaign tracking (since it's annoying to understand what you have prereqs for). Couldn't see terrain or monsters until I opened doors, couldn't see advanced paragraphs of the scenario or rewards until I triggered them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Viper915 posted:

Is Meeple Realty any good? They don't have a Spirit Island insert, but they've got some other things that look decent.

Yeah, they're probably the best of the wooden inserts, I have a pile of them. I don't know about Spirit Island but I have a few for other games and they're really nice.

The problem with other organizers is that they're often strictly utilitarian and you have this big ugly box on the table. Meeple Realty tries to incorporate some style into the insert so it enhances the look while you play. It's both useful and makes the game look better:

Quacks

Pipeline

Nyan island

they also have a dinosaur that shits dice

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 28, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Chip Theory Games is making some Elder Scrolls game: https://chiptheorygames.com/the-elder-scrolls/

Too Many Bones is an absolute banger and it has "Character building & combat inspired by Too Many Bones"

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUI9lATTKnI

My wallet is ready

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
fresh off the gamefound

verdict: excellent

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 31, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Now do King Caylus

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are the "new" Sherlock games? I played the old box (with Tim Caylus Sherlock on front, cases included the Lion, Mummy, Art), and the "new" red box design for the Jack the Ripper cases, and then I have another blue box for Carlton House, is there one I'm missing?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Mind MGMT expansion coming soon, likely opening orders for the original box as well.

Also, Lovecraft Sherlock

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Megasabin posted:

Any thoughts on Puzzle Strike II? I know the first one was considered a legit good deck builder/1v1 game. Do people who understand the first think the second sounds like it's shaping up well from a design standpoint? Two days left and I'm considering backing.

I'm going back and forth on it too. My only concern would be if the turns end up being way too long while multiple combos trigger. Usually in a "direct" 1v1 you want shorter, quicker turns, or at least some form of reaction from the other player

An extra $75 for the Ultra Pro sleeves is steep though. All-in is only $100 without it.

It's here, at any rate: https://tabletopia.com/games/puzzle-strike-2

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
good and fun game Quacks has a $75 big box: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QXMW8H4/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
MIND MGMT Kickstarter is up, get in