Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have a LOT of plants but my stupid depression brain forgets to water them regularly so I have an amazing collection of rare, half dead plants. Today I am going to clean my house and then spend four hours or so evaluating and watering and tossing plants. You'd be suprised which kinds of plants survive extreme neglect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Pictures or even video please

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Greg of Doom posted:

Pictures or even video please

:hmmyes:

Pics or GTFO :colbert:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I took horticulture in high-school and can grow a pretty amazing hanging basket of Wandering Jew or a sick weeping fig tree.

Nowadays I don't have the time or energy. Get some of those little air plants you just have to mist once a week and call it good.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Whats with the emote?
Do you want to masturbate to the plants?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm down to one dying succulent

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
no op nobody covers their hovel in plants there are not tons of people on the internet willing to tell you about their plant filled hovel you are the first

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Iive in a pristine dojo with zero possessions, except for a single imperfect stone, which i use for focus.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Ive transcended the realm of human form, I just had sex with the note of D Major.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I want to hoard plants irl

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Weed is a plant :smugbert:

And so are all the wonderful petroleum products we're surrounded by

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

starting a few years ago every time I bought a pineapple I'd cut off the crown and plant it in a pot.

lot of people don't know and I guess assume pineapples grow on huge trees, but they're little shrubs you can grow in a pot indoors and look like a normal houseplant. very hard to kill and yeah they just...make more pineapples. have seven now, but would be higher if I had more big pots and space.

dream is to someday have a greenhouse and fill it with pineapples.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Mr. Meagles posted:

La mafia della pizza is all cocking their guns

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Treecko posted:

I took horticulture in high-school and can grow a pretty amazing hanging basket of Wandering Jew or a sick weeping fig tree.

Nowadays I don't have the time or energy. Get some of those little air plants you just have to mist once a week and call it good.

My partner who is a plant hoarder person says that Wandering Jew is now called Wandering Dude

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I love my furrootbabies!!

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Mr. Meagles posted:

starting a few years ago every time I bought a pineapple I'd cut off the crown and plant it in a pot.

lot of people don't know and I guess assume pineapples grow on huge trees, but they're little shrubs you can grow in a pot indoors and look like a normal houseplant. very hard to kill and yeah they just...make more pineapples. have seven now, but would be higher if I had more big pots and space.

I decided to try that literally yesterday. How do you do it?
The things I read suggested starting it in water first, so I did that with some root growth hormones. I've done it with celery heels and green onions, it's kinda fun if you're a plant dork.

I also brought the tomato pots and herb pots in, and turned a walk in closet into a grow room. Then I planted peppers and some flowers in there too, it's getting full. Also the cannabis.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

nice

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Vanadium Dame posted:

I decided to try that literally yesterday. How do you do it?
The things I read suggested starting it in water first, so I did that with some root growth hormones. I've done it with celery heels and green onions, it's kinda fun if you're a plant dork.

Never tried the method with rooting in water, but I've seen videos where it looks highly effective. After cutting the crown off I let it sit to dry for a week so it hardens, to prevent rotting like you would with seed potatoes. Then just pop into a 1gal pot with soil that has additional sand for drainage, about 1 part sand for 4 parts soil, then after a year transplant it into a 5 gal container. I'm pretty sure the only way the things will die is if you let them freeze.

Once you have them potted make sure you keep them in a spot nobody will bump into it though. The leaves are tiny knives and will poke out an eyeball

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'll take some pics of some of my nicer plants later.
I'd love to try pineapple but theyre so drat sharp and I have a dog now, had to get rid of a bunch of my dangerous ones.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think you might just be a farmer, op

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

The Bloop posted:

I think you might just be a farmer, op

I got that vibe

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
My significant other does this but it's cool, Like livin in the rainforest cafe.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

old beast lunatic posted:

My significant other does this but it's cool, Like livin in the rainforest cafe.

Based of your AV and quote:
The guy you share your cell with has a small fern.

Greg of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 30, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yes, and it's causing shortages, you need to release your surplus plants into market circulation!

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Mr. Meagles posted:

Never tried the method with rooting in water, but I've seen videos where it looks highly effective. After cutting the crown off I let it sit to dry for a week so it hardens, to prevent rotting like you would with seed potatoes. Then just pop into a 1gal pot with soil that has additional sand for drainage, about 1 part sand for 4 parts soil, then after a year transplant it into a 5 gal container. I'm pretty sure the only way the things will die is if you let them freeze.

Once you have them potted make sure you keep them in a spot nobody will bump into it though. The leaves are tiny knives and will poke out an eyeball

Awesome, thanks! Do you cut off, like *all* of the flesh from the top? I erred on the side of leaving some on:

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Vanadium Dame posted:

Awesome, thanks! Do you cut off, like *all* of the flesh from the top? I erred on the side of leaving some on:

He said he "Never tried the method with rooting in water"

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
since pineapple is a bromeliad, cant you just mist the hell out of it all the time and treat it like an airplant until it does something useful?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Greg of Doom posted:

He said he "Never tried the method with rooting in water"

Question does still apply with the dry vs. water method. That's the same amount of flesh that I left on the dry crowns, about 1/2- 1 inch still on the top.

It's getting harder to find pineapples in the store with the leaves still on though. My store usually has the tops pre-cut, which I can't tell if that's because of customer convenience, shipping convenience, or as "copyright protection" against people growing their own. I'm pretty sure it's the latter, with companies being protective of plant patents

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
i reckon you could scratch the cut crowns like removing a burn scab and it would kinda re-grow

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I am trying to hoard plants to smoke but my girl ain't got back to me OP.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
i currently have several planets terraforming right now...

wait a minute, i misread the thread title.

nevermind.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't call myself a HOARDER but I'm a man with some houseplants. I have one that I've had for over 35 years, bought it when I was like 15.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
i got a plant when i started my current job, its 11 years old.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
They don't love you back and will eat your face after you die, OP.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Zybourne Clock posted:

They don't love you back and will eat your face after you die, OP.

OP said plants not cats.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Mr. Meagles posted:

I was stupid years old when I came to this realization. I was a truth-treer for longer than I'd like to admit.

are there any plants besides cacti that you can grow indoors with virtually no sun exposure?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

you can't own a plant, man

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
OP why don’t you “plant” your “tulips” on my “stem”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Plants bring happiness.