Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah there, in fact there's a couple ways to Go Faster, but I still ended up cranking the game up to 125% speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Unrelated to the posted games this month but my go-to game for waiting to pick up my child from school is now the Gameboy port of Mr. Do! It's weird just how good it is. I think the new music does a lot to elevate it. Especially for the weird stuff that happens after you grab the food off the enemy generator. The tune that plays after that has a real "oh god, what have you done?" quality to it :stare:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah Double Dragon Advance feels real fuckin good so far. I'm not even a huge beat em up person and this game is extremely cool.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I've been looking for a good beat em up so I picked up Double Dragon Advance as soon as I saw it in the thread. The PC port isn't great, you need to manually lock it to 60. It also seems like some of the sprites were edited (for copyright reasons?)

I'm really impressed by it, way more complexity to the combat that I'm used to on the gba. I absolutely love the moveset and how fluid it feels, although I couldn't quite get the hang of the parry timing. I'd say my only complaint is that it's way too easy to accidentally walk off the stage and lose a life.

Kind of felt like weapons trivialized a few of the bosses but I only tried the normal difficulty

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

First crop of the year: Done and dusted!

Trax is a fun little romp; a vertical SHMUP with a unique gimmick and a lot of personality. It's a game by HAL Laboratory, so adorable sprite work, kooky characters, and a campy, fun tone are all to be expected and are delivered in abundance. The gimmick of having to turn the turret clockwise takes a little getting used to, but once you've got a handle on it there's an interesting wrinkle added to the boss fights. Speaking of, yes the final boss is pretty funny, as is the robot that tumbles around like Dedede. The game surprisingly ramps up in difficulty after the first couple of stages, but never feels frustrating. Great game.

We've now played two different spin-offs for Bomberman, and right now we're 2-0! Bomberman Quest is a decent permutation of Link's Awakening with a Bomberman styling, but it's not without its warts. Bomberman is slow, even with the dash boots and skates. I won't lie: I played this game on like 125%-150% speed. Once you're past that, it plays like a typical Zelda-like: You have a map of different zones, which contain dungeons and boss fights that you have to complete in order to obtain items to solve traversal puzzles that unlock more of the map. Rinse repeat. The difference is there are a lot more items to obtain, and they don't just come from dungeons. The story of this game is: Bomberman crash-landing in the area, which frees the monsters that he was transporting. They scatter to the different zones of the map, which each zone containing a Commander that has taken a piece of Bomberman's ship. It's a bit of Pokemon, in a sense. Each time you defeat an enemy for the first time it's recorded in your monster journal, and some monsters yield equipment you might need to continue on the critical path. You can complete the game without getting all of the monsters/items, but you won't get the best ending, which has the actual final boss.

I unfortunately discovered that the game can be absolutely shattered by using the Hammer/Power Glove combo: Use the Hammer to stun, then pick them up and yeet them into the wall. Even flying enemies or enemies that typically require a specific item to defeat are susceptible. It doesn't work on everyone, so it's not completely broken, but it does render a lot of the items kinda superfluous. A lot of the items in general are pretty redundant or borderline useless, but that's just a consequence of the genre I think. Most 2D Zelda games will eventually run into that issue as well once you've solved the puzzles that require a specific item.

I'm glad I finally had an excuse to play this after so long!

Sorry, JustJeff88, but this game was very much worth over $20. Double Dragon Advance is a really, really solid beat-'em-up with an expansive combo system and kickin' rad soundtrack. There isn't much to say about the plot: Girl is kidnapped, Bimmy and Jimmy need to rescue her. Each stage has a boss that eventually becomes a common enemy as you progress. Gameplay-wise, it's a very competent offering in the genre. The combo system sets it apart from its peers, but I unfortunately couldn't take full advantage. I played this on a Retroid Pocket 2+ to spread the love around on my handhelds, and the buttons on the RP2+ are tall and stiff, so it was difficult to land multi-button combos consistently. Skill issue? Perhaps. The game can be pretty difficult, especially when the stage hazards chunk you for 25%-30% of your health. The frequency of death pits gets kind of ridiculous after awhile, but I will say the game does place some of the latter ones in such a way that they're practically screaming at you to knock enemies into them ESPECIALLY on the final stage.

I also never got a handle on the parrying, and I got stunlocked to an embarrassing degree. Seriously, some of the enemies make it their life's mission to flank you on each side and gently caress you up. The Men in Black are goddamn menaces for this exact reason. Stage 4 starts on a moving truck where the edges are death pits, and the first wave of enemies is all MiBs. It was torture. lmao. Combine that with the difficulty I had with executing combo moves and you've got yourself a stew that was rough to eat. Just look at the second screenshot: That's the final fight and I just barely made it.

All in all, solid-rear end beat-em-up that was worth the trouble.

Great way to start 2024!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Trax was pretty enjoyable, and instantly recognizable as a HAL game.

I played through the first zone of Bomberman Quest, and I'm not going to bother finishing it. Not my cup of tea at all.

Haven't tried Double Dragon Advance yet. I don't care much for beat em ups, but I will give it a try.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
a tip for the bomberman enjoyers: once you've beaten any boss but the first, go back to the previous boss arena for a little surprise

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm on stage 4 of Trax and it's very cool so far, your angled cannon and the many ambushes and destructable terrain kinda causes it to feel like a cover shooter lol. and as someone who isn't very good at shmups, i really appreciate the health bar, lack of a time limit, and ability to proceed at your own pace, the game is so beginner friendly it makes me wonder if this was hal's attempt at an entry level shooter the way kirby was deliberately an entry level platformer

speaking of, kirby pulls so much from hal's older games! the main battle tank in trax later cameos as a somewhat rare enemy in kirby super star and was renamed the "moto shotzo," which makes sense given that shotzo's angular aiming method is straight from trax. the gator enemy also from super star has to be a reference to revenge of the gator, and the third boss of trax's multi purpose extendo hand shows up again as part of the halberd's combo cannon, also also from super star

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Playing Trax with auto-fire/hold is definitely a bit overkill. Depending on your weapon choice the music is constantly fighting the SFX for a place on the sound stage. The slow-down rears its head more frequently. It also makes the bosses easier when you don't have to waste physical and mental energy on occasionally mashing the fire button like Takahashi Meijin.

It's a very fun way to spend an half hour tho!

Don't instantly press a button when you reach the main menu of this game! There's a little cinematic that plays when you wait a couple seconds. It's not the "Turn! Shoot!" intro scene.
Jehde mentioned it on the last page, but looking on YouTube I just see gameplay footage that ignores it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 16, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Doesn't feel like I have much to add to what has already been said about Bomberman Quest.

Also caught up to some Game Club entries from the past. I've played TMNT III: Radical Rescue in the past, so I tackled the first two TMNT entries on the Game Boy. They're another example of game developer teams getting more familiar with the hardware, so you get a second game that just feels better to play. They didn't have to make the sequel so hard tho! The gameplay is smoother but the enemy count is higher so you're still inching forward through the levels.

I also played Trip World and that's a neat game. A shout-out to the background art in particular. It feels like backgrounds usually don't get much attention with Game Boy games, so it's of note when they stand out to you. I also love how not all creatures in the levels are hostile, makes the environments feel more alive. I hadn't heard anything about this game prior to booting it, so it was a nice surprise when the ending actually revealed a story. If you've got an hour to kill and never played it before, give this game a shot.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 25, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Well I'm definitely not going to finish Bomberman Quest this month, but I still appreciate what it's going for. It very much is Bomberman's Awakening, and it actually hits the mark of that pretty well. When I first started playing it all felt janky and off-brand zelda. However once I started to approach it more as a bomberman game, but in the overworld format structure of a zelda RPG, it all kind of clicked for me. It helps that it didn't take too long at all before I got the dash shoes as a pickup from an enemy in that first dungeon in the field zone. Still it is bomberman combat, and that's all fine and respectable enough, but it is still a tad frustrating for my impatient tastes. I got up to the electro commander in the forest zone, but decided I don't care to get the luck of the draw to get the bombs right while dodging the homing electro zaps to beat that boss and move on to the other two zones. I do appreciate how your progress fills out in the circular bomberman part of the menu after you beat each enemy in each zone though. I might come back to the one some day, but I doubt it as it mainly just makes me want to play Links Awakening instead.

So in the interest of completionism honestly, I decided to move on to Double Dragon Advance and beat that just in the nick of time:

It seems... Fine? I'm not huge into beat-em-up games, but I do enjoy the odd one. However I may just be spoiled with arcade classics, that at least this version of Double Dragon felt a bit overall stiff to me. Hits wouldn't land that I feel like they should, either because they're just too far away from the hitbox on the lateral plane, or because they're a single pixel off on the z-plane. It also felt way too easy to get into bad situations where you're surrounded by enemies that will just stun lock you the instant you stand up, and quickly drain your life as you get knocked around without any control. Maybe it's all just skill issue though, and when there was a manageable amount of enemies it did feel pretty good to confidently juggle between them with the moveset I knew. Definitely loved to overuse those kali sticks when I got the opportunity. Overall the game just screamed being an early beat-em-up to me though. It seems overall good, but I can't help but compare it to the 90s juggernauts I grew up with, which isn't fair, but it is what it is. I can see this being a commendable port of an arcade game that probably had pretty bad home console ports back in the day.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 1, 2024

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

No new games from me this month, unfortunately. I'm going to take a break and look at either relaunching this into a more general "Retro Handheld" game club next month, or I might just step away from running it altogether for a bit.
Extremely happy if anyone would like to step up for this month in my place and nominate some games, and I'll edit the details into the OP accordingly!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mode 7 posted:

No new games from me this month, unfortunately. I'm going to take a break and look at either relaunching this into a more general "Retro Handheld" game club next month, or I might just step away from running it altogether for a bit.
Extremely happy if anyone would like to step up for this month in my place and nominate some games, and I'll edit the details into the OP accordingly!

Hopefully the good times continue, but it's cool either way. I have a suggestion for GB if anyone else wants to make picks for GBC and GBA:

Ultima: Runes of Virtue II

If you grew up playing RPGs on PC, or are just familiar with them in general, then you probably know about the Ultima series. If not: Ultima is a series of open-world RPGs developed by Origin Systems, with Richard 'Lord British' Garriott being the name most closely associated with it. Yes he's a feckless grifter now, but back then he headed up one of the most important and foundation titles in the history of RPGs. The first game came out in 1981 (though the true precursor, Akalabeth, came out in 1979), so it's an old, storied property. Though the plot is different for each successive title, the main gist is that you're the Avatar, a beacon of virtues that is called to Britannia from the real world whenever some really bad poo poo starts happening. The Avatar, along with their companions, will travel through Britannia and visit different cities, shrines, and dungeons on their quest to protect Britannia from whatever evil is plaguing the land. Ultima 4 is considered the landmark title in the series for its unique plot and endgame: There is no 'big bad'. Rather, your quest is to become the embodiment of the different virtues of Britannia: Honesty, Valor, Spirituality, Sacrifice, Valor, Justice, Compassion, and Humility. You achieve this aim by interacting with the world in ways that reflect those virtues, such as giving money to the poor, telling the truth, sparing innocent wild animals, and so on. It's an all-time great title that would go on to have a series of fantastic sequels that would continue to iterate on a formula that would lay a blueprint for future open-world RPGs with a great degree of interactivity.

Though mainly a PC series, Ultima would also be ported to consoles and, eventually, handhelds. Specifically, two games came out for the Gameboy: Ultima Runes of Virtue and Ultima Runes of Virtue II. Rather than being open-world RPGs like their PC cousins, RoV1 and 2 are Zelda-likes. That's a bit off-target from how the Ultima games typically play, but fitting Ultima onto a Gameboy would probably be a tough ask without major concessions. I remember playing RoV1 and thinking it was okay-ish; it wasn't very well-received. RoV2, though, is apparently much better and worth playing, so that's why I'm nominating it for this month or maybe next month, depending on what everyone ultimately (heh) decides to do. I've wanted an excuse to play RoV2, and it's considered a bit of a hidden gem for the system so I feel like it fits. My understanding is that 2 is not a direct sequel, so playing 1 really isn't necessary.

Edit: link to download the manual https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Runes_of_Virtue_II_Manual

Check the bottom of the page

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 4, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I'll leave the GBA pick for someone else.

Game Boy Color - Grimace's Birthday

Fast food chain McDonald's is no stranger to having their brand and their greasy fingers on video games. There also is a growing aftermarket of people making games for hardware that by most has long been abandoned in favor of a newer generations of devices. Knowing both these things, it still felt somewhat strange to suddenly find a GBC game about this old McD mascot on the internet. It was made by indie studio Krool Toys as part of what I shall refer to as "the year of the Grimace", part of McDonald's marketing push in 2023. My assumption here is that they wanted to teach today's kids that they should truly fear that purple blob, because once again IT HAS RISEN. I'd say this game is lighthearted in tone however, image a... fantasy setting where the Hamburglar is the true menace and the Grimace brings about salvation with their shakes!

*cough* Anyway, it's not really a GBC game in its default form, you can play it online at grimacesbirthday.com
However, tech ninjas have procured the rom from McDonald's HQ you can also find rom files on the Internet Archive, to play it on your device of choice:
https://archive.org/details/grimaces-birthday (click "show all" under download options to get to the file directory)
Said page also has a more detailed description, a brief manual and some tidbits about the game.

Edit: Altered the tone of the post slightly for clarity.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 2, 2024

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
lol what in the world

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
One very nice thing about Grimace's Birthday is that you can complete it in about 20 minutes. It's pretty good! I was shocked that it is an official McDonald's promo.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mierenneuker posted:

Fast food chain McDonald's is no stranger to having their brand and their greasy fingers on video games. There also is a growing aftermarket of people making games for hardware that by most has long been abandoned in favor of a newer generations of devices. Knowing both these things, it still felt somewhat strange to suddenly find a GBC game about this old McD mascot on the internet. It was made by indie studio Krool Toys as part of what I shall refer to as "the year of the Grimace", part of McDonald's marketing push in 2023. My assumption here is that they wanted to teach today's kids that they should truly fear that purple blob, because once again IT HAS RISEN. I'd say this game is lighthearted in tone however, image a... fantasy setting where the Hamburglar is the true menace and the Grimace brings about salvation with their shakes!

*cough* Anyway, it's not really a GBC game in its default form, you can play it online at grimacesbirthday.com
However, tech ninjas have procured the rom from McDonald's HQ you can also find rom files on the Internet Archive, to play it on your device of choice:
https://archive.org/details/grimaces-birthday (click "show all" under download options to get to the file directory)
Said page also has a more detailed description, a brief manual and some tidbits about the game.

it _is_ a gbc rom in its default form. the web player is an emulator lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jehde posted:

It seems... Fine? I'm not huge into beat-em-up games, but I do enjoy the odd one. However I may just be spoiled with arcade classics, that at least this version of Double Dragon felt a bit overall stiff to me. Hits wouldn't land that I feel like they should, either because they're just too far away from the hitbox on the lateral plane, or because they're a single pixel off on the z-plane. It also felt way too easy to get into bad situations where you're surrounded by enemies that will just stun lock you the instant you stand up, and quickly drain your life as you get knocked around without any control. Maybe it's all just skill issue though, and when there was a manageable amount of enemies it did feel pretty good to confidently juggle between them with the moveset I knew. Definitely loved to overuse those kali sticks when I got the opportunity. Overall the game just screamed being an early beat-em-up to me though. It seems overall good, but I can't help but compare it to the 90s juggernauts I grew up with, which isn't fair, but it is what it is. I can see this being a commendable port of an arcade game that probably had pretty bad home console ports back in the day.

I love Double Dragon Advance myself but is absolutely a bizarre game. You get quite a few extra moves like being able to crouch/etc. that you need to take advantage of to avoid getting cornered like you'd see more of in 90s beat'em ups, so it's SORT OF a lot more advanced than the original Double Dragon arcade game. But it's also still a remake of the original Double Dragon arcade game so a lot of what would be considered jank in it now is still intrinsic to how the game works. Like it's a great game if you that feel that's very specific to the Double Dragon games.

The home ports of DD1 especially on the NES are interesting. NES DD1 is significantly easier than the arcade game in some ways, and insanely more difficult in others lol. Also the NES has some wonderfully bizarre glitches too that you have to watch out for sometimes. But also the NES version makes you get experience points to earn all the moves instead of just having them all, and you never fight more than two enemies at the same time. But there's a glitch you can exploit as early as the second level to let you quickly grind out all the moves, it makes the game a lot more fun to be able to use the full arsenal earlier on and experiment with stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 2, 2024

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Substandard posted:

One very nice thing about Grimace's Birthday is that you can complete it in about 20 minutes. It's pretty good! I was shocked that it is an official McDonald's promo.

Weirdest drat thing to go to a McDonalds site, open the network tab of your browser tools, right click - save as a file, and click and drag the file into a gameboy emulator of your choice

just downloaded a rom meant to play in an in-browser emulator and

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Curious: how are you getting your emulator to look like this?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Curious: how are you getting your emulator to look like this?

I'm playing on a Miyoo Mini Plus device running OnionOS, which is using RetroArch with the Gambatte core for Game Boy.

Specific RetroArch settings are:
scaling > integer scale: on, aspect ratio: on
video filter: Dot_Matrix_3x_Dark_Grid
on-screen overlay display: disabled
palette: GB Studio

The device has a 640x480 resolution, so with the scaling that leaves empty space which I prefer to leave black (no overlay). I went with that Dark Grid filter since I love to see those pixels accentuated. Oddly enough I don't like it at all for Color games, since I want to see those colors flow freely and with high saturation (luckily I can have seperate settings for the GBC).

Someone made a whole bunch* of pallettes for the Game Boy that are included with OnionOS. The "Essential" pallettes start with GB-DMG which is close to how it looked on the original hardware, but that is too green for me these days. GB-Pocket is all greys and reminds me of emulators on default. I use the GB Studio pallette which feels like a happy medium between the two: a touch of green, but not too green.

*hundreds!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 3, 2024

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

On that note, I think I finally found some RetroArch handheld shaders that will work out for me:

They're under shaders\<shader type>\handheld\console-border\
A whole bunch of different types including GBC and GBA. But I thought Pocket was the most appropriate for grayscale GB. I also use the Gambatte core.

I play on desktop PC so I never liked how massive the display area looked on max-integer-scale for handhelds. That can be adjusted in the global scaling settings, sure, but these shaders handle stuff automatically.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 3, 2024

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

TheHoosier posted:

Ultima: Runes of Virtue II

I remember playing Runes of Virtue on long road trips. I guess if I was trapped in a car for 6 hours it wasn't so bad lol

I never played Runes of Virtue II though, but I'm definitely gonna check it out now

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'm so out of the loop. I meant to join in a few months back, at least for Elevator Action EX, since the GB version of the original Elevator Action is a game I am very fond of (and it's just objectively superior to the Arcade/NES originals). But as usual, life kicked me in the balls and I had less time to dick around than I'd hoped.

:negative:

ANYWAY. I'll go through the backlog and just do whatever because I have all the free time I could ask for this week :buddy:

Mode 7 posted:

I'll confess, as the year draws to the close I had contemplated whether or not to keep the club rolling come 2024. I'd considered instead starting up a Nintendo DS club, which might be my favourite Nintendo console ever (don't tell the SNES) or perhaps even moving to a general Handheld Gaming Club covering the wide and wonderful variety of games and handhelds out there. That might still happen some time next year, we'll see, but time and time again I keep looking into the library for these systems and finding titles that I'm curious to try - there's certainly no shortage of stuff I'd still love to get to.

I'm all for adding DS games here. It was still part of the Game Boy lineage, even if full backward compatibility was cut to only support GBA :v:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Grimace's Birthday was fun enough, but yes very short:

It's only 2 worlds of 2 stages, and then a sort of bonus stage at the end. It is all lovingly well crafted though. The first world does a decent job of being a GBC THPS game, but then the second world is split between being more of a normal platformer and a flappy bird clone. The cutscenes between the stages are pretty good, reminding me of Kid Dracula or something, and the music is pretty great for mcdonalds themed chiptunes. The freeskate mode is fun in that it stitches all the stages together into one loop, including the non-skating levels, which are pretty fun to skate on.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

If there's no one working on a GBA entry, I'll throw one up tomorrow around noonish EST

Edit: I'm also down for a DS Game Club

Added link for the manual to my Ultima post. Also here
https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Runes_of_Virtue_II_Manual

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 4, 2024

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Mierenneuker posted:

I enjoyed this even more when looking through the lens of last summer. This is an interesting 2023 artifact. You may recall people doing that dumb trend of buying a Grimace Birthday shake then winding up in some sort of Lovecraftian Horror situation. Anyway all I wanted was for that big dumb idiot to have a happy birthday.

Spoiler Alert
According the ending of the game, he did indeed have a great birthday

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It is a beautiful artifact. I love the way the big dumb idiot's purple gut animates when he's idle, or how he faceplants so easily. I obviously had to pick the pile of chicken nuggets as his birthday cake. It's very weird to have my gameboy ask me if I want to use touchscreen controls though.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

If you've been working on a submission for GBA, please just say so and I'll rescind this submission. Otherwise, here's my suggestion for GBA:

Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart

Dragon Quest/Warrior is a series that really needs no introduction, but just in case: Dragon Quest is a turn-based RPG series first developed by Chunsoft and published by Enix, now Square-Enix, in 1986 for the NES. Its main competitor until Square acquired the Dragon Quest IP was Final Fantasy. Honestly, Wikipedia does a great job of summarizing DQ as a series, so go check that out if you're curious. Just know this: DQ is extremely popular in Japan and is considered a game series steeped entirely in design tradition. Very 'old-school'. However, that doesn't mean it hasn't had its fair share of experimental spins-offs, arguably the most popular of which is the Monsters series, developed by Tose.

Dragon Quest Monsters is a series that can kind of be summed up as a hybrid of Pokémon and Monster Rancher. Instead of a party of anime characters, you instead develop and breed monsters of the DQ universe to do battle and Fight God. I've only played a couple of the games, but I assume the others are similar in that each game tries something different with the formula, which is how I landed on this submission. GBA would end up being a platform of experimentation for the DQ IP, as it would see no "official" DQ games. Rather, it saw a Monsters game, the first Slime MoriMori game, and entries in the Torneko Mystery Dungeon series.

Out of those offerings, I landed on Caravan Heart for its mechanical complexity and unique premise. As a Star Trek Original Series episode influenced the Purge films, so did this game influence Darkest Dungeon II, the grimmest road trip sim. That's a joke, but the premise is similar: you are managing a convoy of monsters and characters alike, which things like food and carry weight being key factors to the ease of movement. You still breed and develop monsters, but now instead of just party composition you're having to manage Caravan composition as well. It's a bit complicated so I'll post a FAQ below, but the gist is: party turns happen in the order they're organized in the convoy, and actions taken are directly influenced by the party composition of individual carriages. If you have one melee character, they'll take a minor swing. If you have two, they'll make a stronger swing. Etc etc.

It's a kind of a rad idea, and I recall playing this game years ago and being overwhelmed. Now's a good time to take another swing, so this is my suggestion for the GBA entry. Again, if anyone was already working on an entry, just say so and I'll pull this.

FAQ:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/916688-dragon-quest-monsters-caravan-heart/faqs/22719
Explains the controls, Caravan system, character jobs, etc.

Post of guide links:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/comments/qju1ot/ultimate_guide_for_dragon_quest_monsters_caravan/

English patch:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1252/

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 9, 2024

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

TheHoosier posted:

If you've been working on a submission for GBA, please just say so and I'll rescind this submission. Otherwise, here's my suggestion for GBA:

Thank you for not making me do a write up of The Bible Game, though that might be a looming threat for the future.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

TheHoosier posted:

Dragon Quest is a turn-based RPG series first developed by Enix, now Square-Enix, in 1986 for the NES.

I see "developed by Enix" everywhere in retrogaming discussions, but I learned recently that Enix never actually made any games themselves. They were only a publisher. All of the DQM games have been developed by Tose.

Sorry for the pedantry.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ofecks posted:

I see "developed by Enix" everywhere in retrogaming discussions, but I learned recently that Enix never actually made any games themselves. They were only a publisher. All of the DQM games have been developed by Tose.

Sorry for the pedantry.

Nope, that's a great correction and I appreciate it. Funnily enough, I was listening to the Retronauts 'Rocket Slime' episode and they pointed out the distinction too, so I think the universe just wanted me to get my poo poo together today.

I hosed it up in multiple ways, even, lol. I just conflated publisher and developers, like a dummy. Proper credit is a sore subject in this industry, so I'll make sure my poo poo is right before barfing it out again. I'll amend the post when I get home.

vvvv this is good stuff too, thank you. I need to sit down and either read or watch a retrospective of the series. It's pretty interesting.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 6, 2024

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ofecks posted:

I see "developed by Enix" everywhere in retrogaming discussions, but I learned recently that Enix never actually made any games themselves. They were only a publisher.
Honestly the situation is pretty nuanced, especially when it comes to Dragon Quest.

Enix was founded by Yasuhiro Fukushima who originally solicited talent through programming contests. Winners included Yuji Horii (Dragon Quest designer/writer/figurehead/etc.) and Koichi Nakamura (Chunsoft founder/director/programmer/etc.). They both worked with Enix on their early Famicom titles--I assume as independent contractors--and later Nakamura's development studio, Chunsoft, programmed the first five Dragon Quest games. As far as I know, Horii wasn't employed directly by either Enix or Chunsoft. At some point he founded his own company, Armor Project, which worked with Enix (and later Square-Enix) under contract. The other two Dragon Quest-series mainstays, Akira Toriyama (character designer/artist) and Koishi Sugiyama (composer) were also indepedent.

Meanwhile, Enix published the original Dragon Quest in Japan, but internationally Dragon Warrior was localized and published by Nintendo. After the original's release, Enix founded their own localization studio and published subsequent Dragon Warrior entries. So, while the original Dragon Warrior was neither published nor developed "by Enix", they clearly had a significant role in the game's production. In fact, Enix has been a consistent production through-line in the history of Dragon Quest even as other studios (including TOSE) took over programming.

TOSE is itself an odd duck as they've mostly functioned as a white-label (and so, often without credit) programming studio for other publishers.

So, while saying "Dragon Quest Monsters was developed by TOSE" is entirely accurate, it's not as if TOSE had this game sitting in their pocket and were shopping it around to various publishers as you might have in a more conventional developer/publisher relationship.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 6, 2024

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I visit square enix's company store and it's like 60/40 Dragon Quest vs Final Fantasy merch (and very little FF 1-6 merch :corsair: )
https://www.jp.square-enix.com/artnia/

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So, while saying "Dragon Quest Monsters was developed by TOSE" is entirely accurate, it's not as if TOSE had this game sitting in their pocket and were shopping it around to various publishers as you might have in a more conventional developer/publisher relationship.

I wonder if TOSE pitches people on games or if Armor Project turns up with "Hey we got a design doc, can you make a game out of this?"
Like if Chunsoft goes around "Hey Nintendo, we can make a Mystery Dungeon game out of pokemon - it's a perfect DS title."

The spinoffs outnumber the main series like 3 : 1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Dragon_Quest_series

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Coffee Jones posted:

I visit square enix's company store and it's like 60/40 Dragon Quest vs Final Fantasy merch (and very little FF 1-6 merch :corsair: )
https://www.jp.square-enix.com/artnia/]

That poo poo looks pretentious as hell and I want to go there

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alright so Ultima is kinda fuckin hard in the later dungeons. I like the game but the last 4 dungeons are some bullshit

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I'm at the stage where I'm still struggling with what Ultima II wants me to do. It's been a while since I've played a GB game where the... "boundaries" were so unclear. There are obviously limits in the form of overworld enemies that demolish you thus acting as gatekeepers, the world is also not as big as it initially seems. There also was that map in the starting place, so I guess I should revisit it and do a quest to find some pen and paper to start taking notes.

Maybe picking the archer was a bad choice because they have less health. That floor that introduced splitting slimes and kamikaze orbs got rather hectic.

I'm still holding off on reading the manual tho, let alone read a guide. I want to see how far I get in this strange world, call it... isekai immersion. No need to give me direct advice yet, let me cook for a while.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I ran into a vase puzzle that I messed up after the room full of splitting slimes, and didn't really feel like figuring out how to reset the puzzle, or resetting the game and going through the splitting slimes again. It seems neat enough, but again with the zelda-like just making me want to play zelda instead.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

TheHoosier posted:

That poo poo looks pretentious as hell and I want to go there

It's great, last time I was there they were running a bunch of Valentine's specials at the cafe portion and had love-themed displays throughout, but for music they were piping in an endless loop of the Final Fantasy VIII final dungeon cathedral organ dirge. Absolute mental dissonance, truly beautiful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
grimace's birthday was cute enough, i liked the first pair of levels more than the second but it's a little weird to change up your gameplay between worlds when there are only two. also lol that the credits list one person doing all the level design and spriting, and then four writers when the writing is aging like milk in real time