Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1504495394423812100

The FLCL sequels already salted the earth so y'know what maybe this is what it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't have it in me to be like angry because FLCL isn't really a sacred cow to me. When they reaired the original before Progressive, I kinda found that....I didn't really like it as much. I think it lost a lot of its luster for me when I was in my late 20s and had seen more than one anime with above-TV production values.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm not angry at all, though lol at them bringing The Pillows back yet again (by far the worst move the sequels made).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I like the Pillows, but considering these are named after musical genres, it might be a good idea to give them their own musical identity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also it's a Toonami original series so I'm already prepared to be underwhelmed.

E: That new horror show sounds neat, at least. Seems like they might double bill that with the Uzumaki adaptation.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 17, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't have it in me to be like angry because FLCL isn't really a sacred cow to me. When they reaired the original before Progressive, I kinda found that....I didn't really like it as much. I think it lost a lot of its luster for me when I was in my late 20s and had seen more than one anime with above-TV production values.

Very much :same:, with the caveat that FLCL was NEVER a show I ever really jived with. When it first aired I was pretty unimpressed with it, and after re-watching it in the wake of Progressive and Alternative I got more out of it, but I actually liked the sequels more. Honestly, I think Progressive was held back by being an FLCL sequel; Haruko was the worst thing in that show and the need to do high-powered zany antics got in the way of the actually really bracing and compelling central relationship. I actually felt for Hidomi WAY more than for Naota, he always left me completely cold. And if Progressive was a standalone work it also might not have been the massive flaming mess it was, because man was that show also quite the trainwreck. I will definitely say this in the original's favor, as much of a crazy pileup as it was it still felt like there was a central creative vision as opposed to their being about two per episode. And Alternative was just all right, but again I felt for the cast way more than in the original. It was just never for me I guess.

As for there being more sequels? Yeah sure. Again, I'm probably not the target audience but I'm also may be more willing to watch it than the target audience? It's an odd sort of double bluff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'll give them a shot because I'll be watching Toonami anyway, but part of me does wish they were putting these resources towards more varied projects.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it would be funny if flcl keeps the pillows while the biscuit hammer anime doesn't license them at all

anyway thankfully they announced an original horror thing with these because western company wringing more anime out of an ip (western or otherwise) is such a dire trend lately

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also extremely funny that everyone was having happy memories about Toonami for the anniversary and then they did this and now that's all anyone's talking about.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Progressive and Alternative were both very good and I've long had the impression the mixed response was less due to any actual difference in quality and more bc the sequels were pushed out quickly in sequence, one and done'd and then thrown in the vault, denying potential fans the chance to sit and ruminate on what the gently caress they just watched their whole adolescence the way og fans got. Ppl forget, AS ran FLCL every weekday of the summer one year and w the silly 2 eps per disc release at the time, fans burned that poo poo into their brains in a way neither following show had a shot at.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ousama Ranking: It's not every day you decide to marry the lover of your father and murderer of his first wife. But who are we to judge? :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Progressive and Alternative were both very good and I've long had the impression the mixed response was less due to any actual difference in quality and more bc the sequels were pushed out quickly in sequence, one and done'd and then thrown in the vault, denying potential fans the chance to sit and ruminate on what the gently caress they just watched their whole adolescence the way og fans got. Ppl forget, AS ran FLCL every weekday of the summer one year and w the silly 2 eps per disc release at the time, fans burned that poo poo into their brains in a way neither following show had a shot at.

Nah. As someone who quite liked Prog, it's nowhere near the original. The sound mixing alone prevents it from being treated as on par. It's an interesting enough sequel show to a landmark OVA.

I also can go into a massive rant on why Alt is terrible basically at the drop of a hat, so that puts me at one for two with these things. Not the kind of batting average that encourages sending someone in to make another swing.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Grouchio posted:

Ousama Ranking: It's not every day you decide to marry the lover of your father and murderer of his first wife. But who are we to judge? :v:

Nah if anything that's his big sister/teacher that tried to replace him with his father. Which hits different but still gross.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRxEEBa1XU

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

I also can go into a massive rant on why Alt is terrible basically at the drop of a hat.

Please do, I was thinking of watching it. Progressive at least had one or two good episodes, but the ending was such a letdown that I never bothered with Alternative. Still interested in hearing why it was such a trainwreck though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malsangoroth posted:

Please do, I was thinking of watching it. Progressive at least had one or two good episodes, but the ending was such a letdown that I never bothered with Alternative. Still interested in hearing why it was such a trainwreck though.

Right. I'll do my best, then.

So, one of the things about Alt is that, for the first four episodes, it's much more divided than the original or Prog. FLCL and Prog both have the absurdity and the more down to earth aspects interplay with each other. Canti goes to work at Naota's family shop, while Eri gets drawn into the plot with Naota's N/O channel. Everyone seems to take the weird as part of their normal. Meanwhile, Alt tends to have the plot go normal until the robot shows up, then Haruko does a fight, and things get back to normal. The two tones don't integrate with each other.

This is made worse because neither aspect is that strong on its own. The girls club side of things isn't as fun as the leads in something like Eizouken or a Place Further than the Universe, while the robot fights are just kind of perfunctory.

The bit that makes me really hate it, though, is Haruko. In the original, part of what makes her work is the steady build from "Haruko's the frequently inappropriate comic relief co-protagonist" to "Oh, right. She's the villain." She's a dynamic character with her own goals which become clearer in hindsight, while the comedy relief aspects are just spice.

Prog recognizes this, and just kind of skips ahead to the part where she's the villain, pitting her against the teenage protagonists while further developing her pursuit of Atomsk.

Alt, on the other hand, just has her as the comic relief. She doesn't have real motives of her own. She's just in the show to do fights, help the good guys, and make inappropriate jokes. There's no larger agenda

To put it in Chainsaw Man spoilers, Haruko is Makima, and Alt tries to play it like she's Power.

Alt's also kind of dull visually. Not like it's bad, but the original and even Prog had episodes and scenes going to completely new styles, trying to push the medium (original more than Prog, naturally). Alt, meanwhile, just goes in with its standard style throughout. It's mundane, which FLCL shouldn't be.

But yeah. It's mostly the Haruko thing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, who'd think that an episode titled, "I'm currently at a love hotel" would get extra horny?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I liked the episode, but boy does this series get an asterisk when it comes to recommendations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
*it's good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Big Leg posted:

*it's good

*Watch it with your parents, its fun for the whole family!

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Nitrousoxide posted:

*Watch it with your parents, its fun for the whole family!

my manager asked me if i was watching dress up darling and we ended up talking about it the whole time at my last monthly one on one meeting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That loving whips

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dress-up darling posting: wow horny wow horny

dress-up darling episode: the appeal of SOL and 4koma, how simplified designs in chibi/comedy/etc series (and differing manga/anime designs) can pose a dilemma when it comes to cosplay design, MOTHER loving SMEARS

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dress up darling came up in a convo today and I was asked if they should watch it
I literally did the asterisk thing. I'm sorry anime thread

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

marumaru posted:

Dress up darling came up in a convo today and I was asked if they should watch it
I literally did the asterisk thing. I'm sorry anime thread

You mean you punched a Roman centurion so hard his helmet went flying?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'll admit it makes me sad how abbreviated the shopping and craft aspects are getting though, even if it has been in favor of character stuff w/ Juju and her sister

can still take or leave the central romance but at least it's funny sometimes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bisque entering the hall of fame alongside other greats such as kekkai sensen s1e8 and dead leaves

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

dogsicle posted:

i'll admit it makes me sad how abbreviated the shopping and craft aspects are getting though, even if it has been in favor of character stuff w/ Juju and her sister

can still take or leave the central romance but at least it's funny sometimes
you would really really like a s2 of this show if it were to happen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've got good hopes for a s2 given it's been a wildly successful and highly praised adaptation at least

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

MOTHER loving SMEARS

Magnificent

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Basically a more coherent preview of that upcoming anime movie about the dancing guy with the extra long limbs.

I just can't believe we're getting a Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer anime. Do we know who's animating it? Is it Trigger? I don't think we know.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

dogsicle posted:

dress-up darling posting: wow horny wow horny

dress-up darling episode: the appeal of SOL and 4koma, how simplified designs in chibi/comedy/etc series (and differing manga/anime designs) can pose a dilemma when it comes to cosplay design, MOTHER loving SMEARS

episode was amazing

I laughed so hard my eyes exploded

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

Basically a more coherent preview of that upcoming anime movie about the dancing guy with the extra long limbs.

I just can't believe we're getting a Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer anime. Do we know who's animating it? Is it Trigger? I don't think we know.

it is not Trigger, they are busy with the cyberpunk 2077 anime (lol). i don't think they've said the studio name, only the director, who is not particularly notable. mizukami himself is involved with the scripts so it should be a faithful adaptation but probably not a fancy one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God, I FORGOT about the Cyberpunk anime! Not even the first time I had forgotten about it!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTc2xXcJFwU

Okay wait this actually looks kinda cool.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 20, 2022

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

it is not Trigger, they are busy with the cyberpunk 2077 anime (lol). i don't think they've said the studio name, only the director, who is not particularly notable. mizukami himself is involved with the scripts so it should be a faithful adaptation but probably not a fancy one.

Although after Planet With, I thinks its safe to say he knows how to write for the medium of television and how it's different from manga, so if he is deeply involved it'll be interesting.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tales of Woe posted:

Wait they what

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Wasn't Trigger also announced for the Dungeon Meshi anime? I hope that's the one they choose to fatten up with budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Last call for next seasonal thread titles. The thread will be up sometime this week.

Julias posted:

As this season approaches it's end, it's time to come up with some thread titles for the next seasonal thread.

Here's a reminder of what's airing next season:
https://anichart.net/Spring-2022
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2022/spring