Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SexyBlindfold posted:

Wasn't Trigger also announced for the Dungeon Meshi anime? I hope that's the one they choose to fatten up with budget

Nothing has been said about Dungeon Meshi except that it's in production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

dogsicle posted:

MOTHER loving SMEARS
Since I already made it for elsewhere...

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Nothing has been said about Dungeon Meshi except that it's in production

Right, I got mixed up because Trigger did do the short animated promo for one of Dungeon Meshi's releases a while back.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i don't think a Dungeon Meshi anime has been formally announced yet, let alone who's making it

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tales of Woe posted:

Trigger, cyberpunk 2077 anime

:psyduck:

Hopefully Trigger knows it has a divine obligation to make something oversized, underdone, and puzzlingly dysfunctional. It'll be better on the blu-rays, of course, they pinkie promise.

Or they'll do a competent job and the only characteristic it'll share with the original property is that they'll both have been developed in a horribly exploitative work environment.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ragnar34 posted:

:psyduck:

Hopefully Trigger knows it has a divine obligation to make something oversized, underdone, and puzzlingly dysfunctional. It'll be better on the blu-rays, of course, they pinkie promise.

Or they'll do a competent job and the only characteristic it'll share with the original property is that they'll both have been developed in a horribly exploitative work environment.

Isn't Cyberpunk 2077 based off of a well known property or am I thinking of Shadowrun? Maybe the anime is a result of some initially planned multimedia push to complement the game but I think there's an underlying IP that's there too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's based off a tabletop game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also an Imaishi joint so at least it will be more visually interesting than the game

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also an Imaishi joint so at least it will be more visually interesting than the game

It also was said to be finished months ago, so Trigger's probably not occupied with it now. The only thing I know they're working on right now is the Gridman and Dynazenon movie, which should be great, but it's also probably not enough to occupy the whole studio, especially not with how good Akira Amemiya is at time management. So, Trigger doing another anime right now isn't an absurd possibility.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Isn't Cyberpunk 2077 based off of a well known property or am I thinking of Shadowrun? Maybe the anime is a result of some initially planned multimedia push to complement the game but I think there's an underlying IP that's there too.
It's based off a tabletop game that was the runner up to Shadowrun. Before the game it was primarily known for using photographs of dolls in place of illustrations in its most recent edition because whoops no money.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

don't particularly feel like trigger is a great fit for hypothetical dungeon meshi anime, regardless of availability

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

don't particularly feel like trigger is a great fit for hypothetical dungeon meshi anime, regardless of availability

I mean, the trailer was great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

It also was said to be finished months ago, so Trigger's probably not occupied with it now. The only thing I know they're working on right now is the Gridman and Dynazenon movie, which should be great, but it's also probably not enough to occupy the whole studio, especially not with how good Akira Amemiya is at time management. So, Trigger doing another anime right now isn't an absurd possibility.

Huh, wonder why they're sitting on it. If I remember right, it's Netflix, right?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they always take their time with dubbing/subbing them into all the languages especially when they don't have a TV airing to keep up with. the wit studio vampire show is also done but not released.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's based off a tabletop game that was the runner up to Shadowrun. Before the game it was primarily known for using photographs of dolls in place of illustrations in its most recent edition because whoops no money.

The OG Cyberpunk ttrpg was made in the time of charmingly lovely sourcebook images and this fits right in. It makes thematic sense, too, with the hyperreal facsimiles of dying ideas such as "human" or "person" being a part of cyperpunk the genre. That's why all the anime voice actors should be vocaloids imo, except Nick Cage. It is not relevant that Cage doesn't speak Japanese.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honestly all 90s ttrpgs that were trying really hard should get their own anime. Especially The World of Synnibarr

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I kinda like these images, they're the right kind of uncanny valley.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Julias posted:

Last call for next seasonal thread titles. The thread will be up sometime this week.

Spring Season 2022: SPY X ISEKAI

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Honestly all 90s ttrpgs that were trying really hard should get their own anime. Especially The World of Synnibarr

Android: Netrunner

Vampire: The Masquerade

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Especially The World of Synnibarr

Hell yeah. Anime was made for this poo poo.

e: That or Rankin/Bass, but they died I think.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Daedalus1134 posted:

Since I already made it for elsewhere...

lol

dogsicle posted:

why not

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Clearly the answer for a Dungeon Meshi anime is Dogakobo

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This week in Miss Koroitsu: We heard you like Zombie Idols, well wait til you see this!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

This week in Miss Koroitsu: We heard you like Zombie Idols, well wait til you see this!

Some really rough animation this week though :ohdear:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, the trailer was great.

i think if you assume the PV can be blown out into a whole series then there wouldn't seem to be much issue with it. i'm just pessimistic about that, esp given how brief it is. more generally, the series isn't really in Trigger's wheelhouse and their higher profile names have a tendency for looseness that doesn't line up with what i feel an ideal DM would usually look like. earliest rumors of the anime, if we want to pretend they have relevance after literal years, were of the adaptation happening at Madhouse. not normally an inspiring idea, however there's a particular high-profile director in that orbit (Natsume Shingo) who i think could make it work. ACCA is the particular comparison point for me here, as a beautiful series with food/travel/mystery elements that could carry to DM. but i also think we're seeing multiple great productions this season that could all take up DM well.

roughly in order, i guess
Dress-up Darling at Cloverworks - strong in character animation both subtle and exaggerated, along with the chops to hit DM's comedy well. their past work on Wonder Egg shows a competence for action and fantastical elements needed when it comes to monster battles.
Ranking of Kings at Wit - no duh, the team currently doing a mostly-impressive fantasy adaptation could flex to another fantasy adaptation. the work on backgrounds and conveying scale in this series would be amazing strengths to leverage for DM's dungeon. no shortage of action expertise here, and they've even shown off some excellent cooking.
Akebi-chan at Cloverworks - throwing this one in, since a DM where the cooking and expressions of eating are under a team so expert at conveying the texture of mundane life would be amazing. character and cooking animation is obviously a lock, but the setting and action could raise questions.

of course i'm not kvin here, Trigger may be sitting on specific names that would work for DM if given the chance or they may be willing to rein in their particular quirks in a way that works for the series. same for these other teams, like maybe Akebi-chan is holding secret action/fantasy animation monsters i don't know since i'm not drilling down into individual names and tracing careers. :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Pretty behind with Realist Hero but hey, a slavery episode that was only mostly bad instead of a downright atrocity.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dogsicle posted:

like maybe Akebi-chan is holding secret action/fantasy animation monsters i don't know since i'm not drilling down into individual names and tracing careers. :shrug:

i dunno about individual animators but that team's previous show was fgo babylonia and their next is spy x family so i think its safe to say they are action-capable

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

e: That or Rankin/Bass, but they died I think.
Fun fact: the old animated Rankin Bass specials (as opposed to the stop motion ones) were done by studio Topcraft in Japan. One of the last films they made in the early 80's was a little thing called Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. So yeah studio Ghibli is kind of a successor to Topcraft after the studio fell apart, and there's at least an indirect line between The Last Unicorn and Spirited Away which in retrospect makes complete sense. :v:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Asimo posted:

Fun fact: the old animated Rankin Bass specials (as opposed to the stop motion ones) were done by studio Topcraft in Japan. One of the last films they made in the early 80's was a little thing called Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. So yeah studio Ghibli is kind of a successor to Topcraft after the studio fell apart, and there's at least an indirect line between The Last Unicorn and Spirited Away which in retrospect makes complete sense. :v:

the stop motion ones were animated in japan as well (not by topcraft of course)

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Asimo posted:

and there's at least an indirect line between The Last Unicorn and Spirited Away which in retrospect makes complete sense. :v:

Oh look, it's two of my favorite things growing up. The Last Unicorn is a pretty good demonstration of the concept of mono no aware, come to think of it, and other bittersweet artistic concepts/emotional states. I forgive Rankin Bass for every lovely thing they ever animated and claymated. I've decided that just now.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I didn't quite know where to ask this, but uh, has anyone seen Space Battleship Yamato 2205 and how was it? I have been binge-watching 2199 and 2202 while building Gunpla models over the past few weeks and finished 2202 today

yeah, seems like someone saw someone's criticism that the crew got out too easy after 2199 and just upped the death toll by a lot in 2202, even characters that I felt had a massive amount of potential going forward *coughkeymancough*. And given how much of a threat the Gatlantis army was with their billions of copy-and-paste battleships and clones, I am a bit... skeptical that 2205's basic blerb has the galaxy getting invaded by a second super secret galactic army

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FilthyImp posted:

Pretty behind with Realist Hero but hey, a slavery episode that was only mostly bad instead of a downright atrocity.

They follow that up with some episodes about war refugees where their solution to the problem was we'll give you a house if you swear allegiance to this country and get to work, otherwise GTFO immediately which was also mostly bad instead of a downright atrocity.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

There's a trailer for RE:cycle of the Penguindrum and... god drat it Ikuhara, what are you doing this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTSJPhPXdxQ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait is this a new thing? Wasn't it just a reairing or was that a different thing?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

its ostensibly a compilation film for the series

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

one movie isnt really enough to do the whole penguindrum story so it would make sense for it to be doing something else

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

one movie isnt really enough to do the whole penguindrum story so it would make sense for it to be doing something else

It's two films, both coming out this year.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Maera Sior posted:

There's a trailer for RE:cycle of the Penguindrum and... god drat it Ikuhara, what are you doing this time.

Huh, judging by the boys' ages later in the trailer, one of the films might involve their reincarnated versions from the original ending. That's probably where the "re:cycle" comes from

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

Like usual Ikuhara is doing a good thing, that's what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

dogsicle posted:

its ostensibly a compilation film for the series

The video description has the line:

あれから10年ーー
かつて運命を変える列車に乗り込んだ冠葉と晶馬が、運命の至る場所からひととき戻ってきた・・・。

10 years since then --
Kanba and Akima, who once boarded a fate-changing train, have returned from everywhere in their fate.