Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
psst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thanks, I edited my post in here

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I watched exactly 5 anime all the way through so they get listed!

1) Jujutsu Kaisen: very good and stylish action sequences and a good amount of humor.

2) SK8 the Infinity: unbelievably fun show with a strong supporting cast.

3) Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun S2: I am honestly impressed at how well this show continues to manage such a large cast and never really loses its focus. Just the most fun and likeable group of demons. :3:

4) Hanma Baki Son of Ogre: I cant explain why I like this show so much given how over the top and absurd it is.

5) Re;Zero S2P2: honestly by the end I was starting to get bored but its still not a bad show.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So, I wanted to vote for Ousama Ranking, but since it was ineligible, this is what I got:

1. Megalobox 2: Nomad - I actually really loved Megalobox 1 a lot, watched it 3 times all the way through, but I was blown away by season 2. Such a great end to Joe's arc. Love you, Chief.

2. Komi Can't Communicate - Not sure if this isn't being ranked higher because it was in Netflix jail (though I believe it was only a week behind the Japanese broadcast,) but whatev. I loved this show. Every episode (except the one with the dog-girl) left me with a huge, dumb grin on my face. Loved Komi and Tadano and Najimi.

3. Blue Period - see above about Netflix jail. This felt like it came out of nowhere, with very little hype. I know absolutely nothing about art, but the characters were compelling enough to keep me watching, even if this was basically like any other shonen/sports story, with art as the sport. Though, I guess there's not really a competition other than the main character against themselves. Still, it got me to understand a little more about art, and I felt the story was touching without being cloying, and felt pretty realistic and grounded. Strongly recommend it.

4. Zombie Land Saga Revenge - I felt like they stepped up the songs this go-around, and learning more about the characters' backgrounds and the overall lore was great.

5. Yuru Camp 2 - I will never not love this cozy show.

Again, if I were able to, Ousama Ranking would be #1 easily. While I really liked 86, season 2 not being eligible didn't really mean anything for me, it still wouldn't break the top 5. I also wish I could have voted for Kiyo in Kyoto.

I watched a lot of anime this year for...reasons. So here are all the ones I finished:

86 s. 1 - 2
Aggretsuko s. 4
Blue Period
Dr. Stone: Stone Wars
Fena: Pirate Princess
Gokushufudou -The Way of the Househusband
Horimiya
Kimetsu no Yaiba - Mugen Train Arc
Komi Can’t Communicate
Megalobox 2: Nomad

My Hero Academia - s. 5
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Roads Lead to Doom X
Odd Taxi
Pokémon Evolutions
Shin Evangelion Movie: 3.0 + 1.0 Thrice Upon a Time
Star Wars Visions
Super Cub
Those Snow White Notes
Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-Kun s. 2
Wonder Egg Priority
Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop
Yuru Camp s.2
Zombie Land Saga: Revenge

I would heartily recommend every one of these except Wonder Egg Priority. Y'all know why. I'm also a big fan of Hero Academia and Dr. Stone, but felt like since those are long, ongoing series, I should vote for other, less popular offerings.

I also started watching Let's Make a Mug and Godzilla Singular point and plan to get around to finishing those as well.

Don't worry, Bojji. You'll get my vote next year!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

5. Godzilla: S. P - i still have one episode left but this is here mostly be default. i did like this, the characters are a lot of fun and nicely varied, but i don't think it juggles the mix between very hard science-fiction with kaiju battle and survival as well as often as it does manage to. orange continues to be the only good anime studio doing cg.

4. Build Divide: Code Black - i don't really watch card game shows, and i didn't know what was going on during most of the card battles in this, but, it's the matrix. now in card game form!

3. Super Cub - a series a lot like yurucamp, only lonelier, more in the moment. sometimes it feels like a super cub commercial, and an effective one too, but it boils down to the freedom of travel giving connections and color to an otherwise dreary and monotonous life. something about its linkage between a hobby and individuals coming into themselves feels more genuine and fully realized than other series of its kin.

2. Evangelion 3.0+1.0 - a celebration. of life, of animation, of evangelion. the stretch of sequences in the village, especially with rei, are some of the most insightful and considerate stuff anno has ever done. the action justifies the use of digital animation, and in terms of its artistic direction it feels like anno is finally looking forward to the next generation of animators rather than his forebears. the whole film feels like a man who's been through it and finally come to some sort of revelation. and now, on-wards!

1. Sonny Boy - sparse, melancholic, dreamlike, full of stray observations about people and the world that feel sharp and true, with the wit and imagination to portray it for fresh eyes. it's able to pull off a mix of abstraction and naturalism without getting lost in either, fully expressing itself in images where words wouldn't suffice, expressing itself in words where our own imagination is the vessel of creation. in other words, lovely. great soundtrack too!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, when are we getting the terrible anime thread? Because looking over the good makes me ready to talk about the bad, even if I feel like I could say more about Odd Tax, and Eva, and Dynazenon...

Yeah. Lot of good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
last i saw, namtab said he's holding the thread hostage until he gets more posts in the resolutions thread, and i don't know how facetious he was being

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What resolutions thread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NM

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

My resolution: to not post in the resolutions thread

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

last i saw, namtab said he's holding the thread hostage until he gets more posts in the resolutions thread, and i don't know how facetious he was being

I'll make it then, if he does not make it by the end of today.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I realize that for him that's like in six hours. But stilll.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

So, when are we getting the terrible anime thread? Because looking over the good makes me ready to talk about the bad, even if I feel like I could say more about Odd Tax, and Eva, and Dynazenon...

Yeah. Lot of good.

I was wondering too. I have a big rant ready to go about Battle Game in 5 Seconds and JORAN THE PRINCESS OF SNOW AND BLOOD, mostly the latter. (I love how Crunchyroll writes the title in all caps with no colon like that.) I was worried the worst-of thread had been cancelled to avoid those heated which-terrible-show-that-neither-of-us-have-watched-is-more-morally-repugnant debates.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Gonna bump Josee off my list into the honorable mentions to make a late addition for the Revue Starlight movie. Comin from someone whose feelings on the tv show were so mid it took till Rondo Rondo Rondo to finally get around to the end of it, drat, that poo poo owned.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wait there's a movie? Is it a sequel??

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

yes, sort of, and it's insanely good. The only subs out right now are kind of crap, unfortunately. Technically competent but just stilted english

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah. I mention it on my write up on the last page. It’s a direct continuation focusing on the “what next?” after they get to perform their Starlight and the whole “audition” concludes.

Would’ve made top 5 if the year wasn’t so stacked. If you were a fan of the show, you’ll love the movie.

The [VeggieSubs] is probably the best version out.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I only had time to watch Thunderbolt Fantasy 3 this year, so that gets my singular vote.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't watch a ton of anime on a timely schedule, but last year I indulged in week-to-week watching more than I usually do for some shows, and I'm glad I did, but that still leaves three shows I feel strongly about and then some also-rans.

1. Odd Taxi - A lot's already been said about it, and I imagine the word of mouth advertising for it is probably getting obnoxious at this point, but considering so many shows absolutely tripped up this year, it was really nice to watch a show that knew exactly what it was doing and executed it near perfectly. Really fun, and objectively, the best show of the year. But personally... there was a show that beat it a bit in my heart, even if its execution was way messier, and that was

2. To Your Eternity - I know the pacing of this show was off for some people, but I really enjoyed this. One of the more interesting premises I've ever seen in anime, and even though some of its settings left me confused as to how they were set-up, I spent as much time waiting to see where this would go next as I did Odd Taxi. It's sort-of scifi in its own way, and I'm a huge sucker for that, and the premise of a show being, "What if the Thing, but good," really brought me in. It's not a perfect enterprise by any measure, but I like what it aimed for the best. I hope the second season keeps delivering on the premise and also smooths out some of the rougher decisions of its first season like how it fumbled around with its last arc.

3. Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro - Goofy dumb bullshit that was a guilty pleasure. I enjoyed it.

Honorable Mention

Saw the new Aggretsuko, didn't hate it, but it does have the bad "return everything to the status quo more or less, and do all that in the final episode to boot" issues the show's been struggling with for awhile. Godzilla: Singular Point had fun aesthetic, some fun ideas, but also a lot of ideas that felt poorly explained to me and I struggled to understand at points. Still, probably the closest to a #4 of these shows. Saw some of the new Dr. Stone, it was fun. Fena, Pirate Princess was also fun as a goofy "uh okay" premise especially near the end, though it's fading more from my memory as time goes on. Still need to watch Ousama Ranking to Sonny Boy from last year before I can rate them, and Ousama Ranking can't get thrown into the poll anyway.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Odd Taxi and 86 would be the ones for sure, but this year was pretty strong for anime as a whole so I filled out the list with some of my faves rather than the for sure popular picks. Sk8 was a blast, D4DJ first mix was really cute and lots of fun, and I forget what I actually chose as a fifth option.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Pretty good anime year, in spite of all the production mess.

1. Mushoku Tensei - The best adaptation for the best web novel.
2. Odd Taxi - Beautifully constructed and unique.
3. Re:Zero s2 - Mostly because of how good the first half was, and I'd prefer to think of it all as a single arc.
4. Sonny Boy - Left me more confused than anything, but it was always a remarkable ride.
5. Kageki Shoujo - Enjoyable substitute for when I'm craving more Glass Mask and Act-age.

Honourable mentions: 86, which I'd have put as my #5 if it hadn't gotten delayed into next year, and Blue Period, which is a very decent anime, but there's just no way I could recommend it to anyone when I know the original manga is ten times better.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

1.Sk8 the infinity - Been a long time since I had such fun with a show, great cast, great 'hype' moments. the comedy episode was a blast. Also the boys are hot.
2. Odd Taxi - Really hooked me, binged it with a friend over the course of like 2 nights, would have been my number 1 vote in any other year probably tbh.

That's really all I watched this year that I liked. :cheerdoge:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Watched a bunch of anime:

100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru 2nd Season | I'm Standing on a Million Lives Season 2
    Attack on Titan Final Season
    Bokutachi no Remake | Remake Our Life!
    EDENS ZERO
    Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou. | Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway
    Horimiya
    Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san | DON'T TOY WITH ME, MISS NAGATORO
    Kanojo mo Kanojo | Girlfriend, Girlfriend
    Komi-san wa, Komyushou desu. | Komi Can’t Communicate
    Kyuukyoku Shinka Shita Full Dive RPG ga Genjitsu yori mo Kusogee Dattara | Full Dive: This Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life!
    Log Horizon: Entaku Houkai | Log Horizon: Destruction of the Round Table
    Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu | Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation
    Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai Love Come | Osamake: Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose
    Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta… X | My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! X
    Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 | Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 Part 2
    Sekai Saikou no Ansatsusha, Isekai Kizoku ni Tensei suru | The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat
    Shin no Nakama ja Nai to Yuusha no Party wo Oidasareta node, Henkyou de Slow Life suru Koto ni shimashita | Banished from the Hero’s Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside
    Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita | I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
    Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song

Christ that is a lot of anime, but it turns out if you just turn something on when you eat lunch or dinner you can watch a lot of television.

Here are the awards:

:cripes:The Sword Art Online Award for Biggest Dumpster Fire

The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat

Overpowered Protagonist? Check. Harem? Check. Everyone is Underage? Check. Banging Your Cousin? Oh gently caress the hell yes check. This show managed to actually intrigue me with how the early episodes were presented only to descend into the worst of Isekai genre tropes and capped it all off with the protagonist being in love with his cousin. People told me that it was by the guy who did Redo of Healer and it would be terrible and for some reason I didn't believe them until I was six or seven episodes in and at that point watching to see how much more bullshit would happen. Now I'm probably on a list somewhere.

:glomp:The Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Award for Anime I Thought Would Be A Dumpster Fire But Was Actually Good

Higehiro

I saw the title and description and rubbed my hands in glee, getting ready for some Domestic Girlfriend level stupidity and what I got instead was a really heartwarming story about a girl in trouble and a man who would not give up on her no matter what. The first few episodes come across as a little skeevy but it's done in service of the plot and allows the show latitude to end in some great highs. I had a great time with this overall and would recommend it to anyone.

:munch:The Akudama Drive Award for Best One and Done

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song

Man what a show. Vivy's advertising did it no favours, making it seem like an idol show but I'm glad I got recommended it because Terminator but with Singing is not something I knew I wanted in my life. An excellent opening, a weird middle that leads to an even more incredible penultimate plot landed it as a firm favourite as I watched it, but I have to agree that whilst it didn't quite fumble the ending, the finale didn't live up to the heights of the rest of the season. Still, an incredibly impactful and fun series to watch overall.

:hmmyes:Second Runner Up

Horimiya

This show has possibly the best dialogue between romantic interests since Bunny Girl. The first six episodes are possibly the strongest I've ever seen a romcom come out the gate developing the relationship between Hori and Miyamura in a way that's more natural than I've seen any other anime manage. If the season was just those six episodes, or maintained that quality it would be the anime of the year for me by miles. As it is, the show falters as it tries to find a new premise once the protagonists finish their initial arc, trying to fill time by focusing on the lives of other characters. That's often fine, but those characters are typically less interesting than the titular duo and the failure to continue to advance their relationship emotionally ultimately stalls the show out. That said, nothing will take away from how I felt watching the top half and the back half is by no means bad, but just unable to maintain that outstanding quality.

:sweatdrop:First Runner Up

Mushoku Tensei

God placing this show is a struggle sometimes. Mushoku Tensei is lovingly crafted, with absolutely outstanding animation and incredible music. The world it paints is magnificent with the opening portions of every episode taking time to situate you in with the characters and show their journey through the world. And the characters. The show banks so much on being able to make you feel what the characters are going through. None of them are perfect and yet unless someone is an outright villain, Mushoku Tensei is able to make every action feel relatable.

And then the show pervs on a 13 year old.

I wonder how easily Mushoku Tensei would win anime of the year for me if it just calmed the gently caress down with sexualising minors. It's absolutely maddening. Everything else in the show is just so incredible and yet almost without fail I cringe and some stupid poo poo like this and wonder if I should keep watching. I get the feeling, especially after the ending of the second part of season 1 that all of this was in service to the plot, but ugh, it is really hard to give the show the benefit of the doubt.

Yet, every episode feels like it's 2 minutes long. They fly by because I'm enthralled and so the show lands here and I hope to god that when another season comes out, my faith isn't misplaced.

:vince:Anime of the Year

Attack on Titan - The Final Season - Part 1

Of the two huge sequels this year, Re: Zero's second half felt like the show was going on a victory lap after an absolutely stellar first half. Attack on Titan had no such luxury. Burdened with acclimating us to a timeskip, introducing a whole plethora of new characters and dealing with a studio transition, Attack on Titan managed not just to succeed, it soared. The show delivered on all fronts, giving us the absolutely brutal action that we've come to expect from the series but amid a backdrop that continues to drive home the idea that war makes monsters of us all. Attack on Titan is excellent at ratcheting up tension and relieving all that stress at the moment for the most possible impact, waiting not just minutes, but entire episodes to show us what has happened to the crew we've been following for years. But all of that time is necessary, we come to understand a society that we've seen as the other for so long. It's vital to humanise people we've come to hate so that what initially feels like a triumph gradually descends into failure.

It's hard to have missed the rumblings of how the manga ended, but I'm going to remain ignorant of that ending and say that for the moment, this season is a masterful showing and well deserving of Anime of the Year for me.

Long Live Potato Girl.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Whoops I accidentally hosed up my HMs in the form lol. either way my top 5 is
1. Revue Starlight Movie
2. Fruits Basket S3
3. OddTaxi
4. Uma Musume S2
5. Yuru Camp S2
(Actual #2 if is Ousama Ranking if it were eligible lol)

HMs to Dynazenon, Shadows House and Pui Pui Molcar

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
1. odd taxi - delightful noir mystery with fantatic dialogue, everything really came together here
2. sonny boy - this was a fun & fascinating ride even if it got fairly incomprehensible at times, gorgeously animated
3. evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 - kinda frustrating because it totally botched the very end but the rest was a fantastic conclusion to evangelion as a whole, the village section is one of the best in all of evangelion
4. dynazenon - fun mecha & fun characters
5. vivy - solid scifi adventure even if it didn't really land the ending

honorable mention to jjk which from what i saw was a great adaptation of the best shounen series atm but i didn't finish it because i wasn't overly motivated having already read the manga

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Allarion posted:

The Revue Starlight movie was drat good. Everyone go watch it!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, having now watched the Revue Starlight movie, I gotta rank it. #3, I think, bumping Mushoku Tensei and Superstar down, and Dynazenon off.

It's real good, and if you liked RS, you really need to go watch it.

The form didn't give me an option to revise my previous submission, so I submitted a new one - please disregard the old.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, having now watched the Revue Starlight movie, I gotta rank it. #3, I think, bumping Mushoku Tensei and Superstar down, and Dynazenon off.

It's real good, and if you liked RS, you really need to go watch it.

The form didn't give me an option to revise my previous submission, so I submitted a new one - please disregard the old.

👍

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I decided to wait a little to stew on my answers, but here we are.

Winners!

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song: This show blew me the gently caress away. The Terminator but idols is certainly an elevator pitch, but it vastly undersells the scope and craft of the series. Vivy is a show about averting an AI rebellion from the perspective of the AI's, and it does magnificently characterizing them as being somewhere in the uncanny valley in a fascinatingly sympathetic way. The show consistently demonstrates that these characters, these people, are recognizable and empathetic and understandable but that they are not human being with how they interact or just the timescale the show uses. And it keeps that perspective all the way through right up to the end. There are so many stories about robots and AI becoming more human, but those mainly come from the human side of things. Vivy is weird and interesting because of how directly it drives at the dissimilarities between the AI characters and the humans they work with. It also didn't end with the lead really "becoming human", and I think that was definitely a strength of the show. And speaking of the ending, I thought it was brilliant. I think the only thing I would change would be removing the post-credits sequence from the finale, the show didn't need that at all given the themes they were running with.

I probably can't truthfully say it was the "best" show I saw last year for however nebulous you define "best", but I will say it was the show that stuck with me the hardest, the show that hit me the hardest, and the show that I was the most thrilled with and engaged with week to week, and so I have no problem putting it is my number one anime of the year.

Odd Taxi: The other show from that season that blew me the gently caress away. I was not prepared for Odd Taxi, like I said when you call Vivy "Terminator but with idols" you undersell it, but you are technically getting across most of the thrust of the story: there are singers and time travel and robots and an AI rebellion. On the other hand Odd Taxi had the initial pitch of "a weird walrus taxidriver chews the fat with his eccentric passengers in a city with anthropomorphic animals", which actually badly misrepresents everything in the show and why it's a masterpiece. The pitch on animecharts does indeed mention the mystery of the missing girl, but even bringing that up feels slightly disingenuous.

Odd Taxi is a neo-noir crime drama, a series of incredibly in-depth character vignettes, a complicated and tumultuous slice of life, a meditation on society and the entertainment, a critical thesis studying ambition, desire, and desperation, a densely woven tapestry depicting the zeitgeist for certain slice of the world, a comedy, tragedy, a mystery, a thriller, and an affirming and weirdly positive show about a bunch of messed up but relatable people. And it sounds ridiculous to say it does all of that in 13 episodes, but it does, amazingly enough it does. It also has some of the best dialogue I've ever heard in anything.

I put it under Vivy, but 10 years from now it probably will be one of my top 10 of the decade. Again, holy gently caress.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time: I honestly didn't think they were going to make it y'all. Me and a friend had been joking for years that Eva four was never going to come out, what with schedule slippage and all the other stuff that Anno was doing and some of the weird things happening in and around the project, but it came out. And then it successfully managed to come together and tie up a final resolution not just to the film series, not just to the anime, not just the previous Eva movies, but sort to the entire concept and existence and being of the franchise Neon Genesis Evangelion. This was a final thesis statement, a capstone, a fully justified and satisfying ending. This was THE conclusion, and even a couple months after watching it it's still striking how final it all was. It may well be the single best retro revival I have ever seen, and it makes me all the more pissed off at DA:LEK from last year, but I digress.

I'm honestly not sure what else to say, more than the End of Evangelion this was the end of Evangelion. I salute it.

Jujutsu Kaisen: This show made it look easy. Shounen battle manga are a dime a dozen, but Jujutsu Kaisen basically showed them all up. It casually does everything right: it had a ridiculously strong cast who were all well-balanced, it created a fully thought out world and power system, it had crazy good action, excellent pacing, and the anime also added on top-notch production values and a soundtrack that went hard and a stellar cast. It makes it look effortless, it just saunters in sinking hit after hit after hit after hit all the way to the ending. Goddamn I need another season of it. JJK seems like it set out to be the best action manga of the decade and my hats off to it, it is utterly lapping the competition.

Heike Monogatari: Similarly every year I watch anime I absolutely love and can't actually recommend with a pile of asterisks. This year it was Heike Monogatari, a dense and high fidelity semi meta-textual adaptation of a centuries-old Japanese novel the show kind of assumes you already are at least familiar with. The show is not kind to newcomers, people are intentionally designed to look like each other to make a point about them, court intrigue is brought up and dispensed with under the assumption that you in the audience will get all the weird subtle nuances of people interacting, characters mention relationships only in passing and take it as a given you'll just follow along with the web of mistresses and political alliances and half siblings and noble houses and so on and so forth. No, this show sure as gently caress does not make it easy for you to watch it.

It also had the strongest emotional impact on me of any anime I watched this year. Quite frankly I was left as a wreck after some of the harsher episodes, and when the characters cried and wept and met their predetermined ends goddamn I was right there with them crying as well. I don't blame anyone who founded impenetrable, but I toughed it out and man did I find some serious feels on the inside. The show is also freaking gorgeous which might help.

Honorable Mentions!

86: 86 was an incredibly good show and probably my fifth before I watched Eva. Almost certainly the best Mecha anime that aired on television this year. It also was an incredibly compelling one and done kind of series, I'll be completely honest and say I had no interest in watching the second season. I have no doubt it's still brilliant, but the show could've easily ended on episode 10 and been glorious. Maybe that's why I didn't feel like continuing on with it, I honestly just didn't feel like continuing the story.

Moonlit Fantasy: Isekai of the year, easy. Moonlit Fantasy demonstrated an impressive commitment to craft and a desire to tell a good story when it entered the isekai genre, grabbed all the usual trappings of that particular story, and then actually bothered to try by providing multifaceted characterization for its cast and exploring various aspects of its world and having everyone actually have their own motivations and not necessarily facing the same way all the time. In other words, it decided to tell a story with characters that had personalities in a setting that allowed for drama and conflict. Funny how that works. At the same time, shoutouts to Slime Witch and isekai drugstore, I'm not going to pretend they were high art but they knew what they wanted to be and were quite enjoyable being it.

Night Beyond the Tricorner Window: I keep seeing people saying this was a horrible adaptation of the manga, which has me really curious about the manga because I thought this was an awesome show and possibly my fall Anime of the Season (Heike aired weirdly). It had a weird and interesting world, a cast of really strong compelling characters, good direction, strong dialogue and thoughtful storytelling, and overall I thought it was drat good. I liked that it was a story about the supernatural that was always grounded in the temporal, the weird magic and psychic powers people threw around were ultimately extensions and relations to completely mundane things. And if the manga supposed to be so much better than it I gotta say I'm curious what the anime got wrong considering the scores of things it did right.

Getter Arc: This is not the anime of the year, not even close. Just for starters it is really ugly and the CG is rough… And that doubly sucks because Ken Ishikawa drew some absolutely gorgeous art in the manga this was adapted from. At the same time I think it's my favorite adaptation of the year, not despite but BECAUSE it strayed so far from the source material. Getter Arc didn't just adapt the two final manga volumes of Getter Robo before Ken Ishikawa's untimely death, it pulled in ALL the Getter Robo it could get its hands on. Every single surviving character who could show up (and a couple who couldn't) showed up, every bit of back story fluff and lore that might've been relevant to the story is retold, detail after detail, beat after beat, they are all expanded and embellished and explored and brought out a little bit more.

It's still ugly. It still ends on a cliffhanger. It doesn't quite track with the original manga even besides the embellishments and it didn't quite shake off the shadow of Ishikawa's passing. And yet, the cliffhanger they ended on, the open ending they closed with, it felt so much more satisfying, so much more complete than where the manga leaves off. This was a love letter, a standout attempt to give a worthy anime to Getter Robo's final outing, and I will salute it for that.

Shikizakura: This little show surprised me. You wouldn't think a CG animated Super Sentai riff would be anything to write home about, but it hit way over its weight class and honestly surprised me. It had essentially none of the problems you usually expect when it comes to CG, especially CG action sequence. The models are expressive and have facial expressions and display body language and actually seem to exist in the world and interact with it and each other and meanwhile the fight choreography is very strong and the blows have weight and impact and the sound effects are all on point. Several times the show goes to 2D animation and I will honestly say the first time it happened it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize it had happened because of how good the 3D CGI had been up until that point.

It's a good show, not a great show, but really solid and had extremely nice action chops and stands out as kind of a showcase for that kind of medium. Honestly, I think the show could've used another cour to really flesh out the cast and give more room for its later plot lines to breathe. As it stands, it is a satisfying action show that had some great fights even in 3D. Incidentally, shoutouts to Sakugan, another show that could've really used another cour.

Yurucamp 2/Super Cub: It feels a wee bit unfair to lump these two shows together because they have enough things to make them distinct in characterization and themes, on the other hand they are both soothing shows about the everyday lives of high school girls with hobbies. Yuru Camp has more comedy, Super Cub has a stronger central theme, I like the characters in the former more, the latter had more variety, both of them were excellent. In a less stacked year I would happily have put one or the other in my top five because both of them were delightful, but man oh man 2021 did not disappoint when it came to anime.

Rumble Garanndoll: 86 was probably the best Mecha anime that aired on TV, but rumble Garanndoll was I think my favorite TV Mecha anime of the year. Despite the baseline pitch of a giant robot powered by various forms of Japanese geek entertainment the show took a surprisingly reflective and self-critical look at the heroic rebellious otaku underground. The show spared no expense to show the characters and their weaknesses, flaws, and limitations, and by proxy the weaknesses, flaws, and limitations of all the things they loved and all the things they represented. And at the same time it was also quietly positive about all these things, expressing a warts-and-all love of these people and the things they were obsessed with. It also managed to pull a real coup at the very end there. After skirting around giving a central thesis for the heroes or a rallying cry in favor of dweebdom it ended on a literal last-minute reveal that recontextualized the rest of the series and only after that did it take a true idealistic stance in favor of nerd ephemera. Hats off to this one, they earned that utopian fancy.

Ongoing shows that still deserve mention!

Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS: It's been what, four, five years since the Yu-Gi-Oh anime has been good? Got it has been a relief to have SEVENS around as a reminder of what made the series worth a drat in the first place: good, likable characters having cool duels with each other to progress a completely ridiculous plot. Was it really that hard? Double shoutouts to SEVENS for having exceptional character balance and making sure all the ancillary characters have things to do be dueling or otherwise.

Tropical Rouge Precure: When precure is good it's an absolute delight so I'm glad that Tropical Rouge nailed it. It probably won't get above honorable mention next year (the franchise has done better) but it was still a consistent treat every week. It certainly pulled me up watching it every week after the doldrums of late period Digimon Adventure 20.

Digimon Ghost Game: we're only 13 episodes in so there is plenty of time for this to crash and burn as has happened with Digimon seasons in the past, but there's also still plenty of time for this to take off and absolutely soar. Still, it has a very strong production team so I'm crossing my fingers that the show started as it means to go on. And it is an odd numbered seasons so that's a possible mark in its favor. And holy gently caress was episode 13 quite the episode...

Ranking of Kings: Watch this space for anime the year 2022!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen: This show made it look easy. Shounen battle manga are a dime a dozen, but Jujutsu Kaisen basically showed them all up. It casually does everything right: it had a ridiculously strong cast who were all well-balanced, it created a fully thought out world and power system, it had crazy good action, excellent pacing, and the anime also added on top-notch production values and a soundtrack that went hard and a stellar cast. It makes it look effortless, it just saunters in sinking hit after hit after hit after hit all the way to the ending. Goddamn I need another season of it. JJK seems like it set out to be the best action manga of the decade and my hats off to it, it is utterly lapping the competition.

The main competition hasn't even showed up yet.

I feel one-note sometimes in how often I bring this series up, but Chainsaw Man, which has an anime coming out this year from the same studio as Jujutsu Kaisen, was the closest rival when they were both running in Jump. Starting from similar base premises (an organization of questionably sane monster hunters going after monsters formed from human fears) and with similar broad strokes outlines for the core group (the usual post-Naruto trio setup), they both went in very different directions and managed to carve strong niches in Jump, with the two mangaka involved (Tatsuki Fujimoto and Akutami Gege) complimenting each other's work. (including Gege being amused that they both had very similar panels one week... and that Fujimoto's work kicked his rear end.)

Chainsaw Man as an anime is still an open question, despite an absolutely killer first trailer, but as a manga, it's something very special. It's one of the few manga to break a million sales a volume on average before an anime. Fast paced, with great characterization, killer action, and some of the funniest gags I've seen in Jump, I think it has a solid shot at anime of the year this year if Mappa's putting the effort into it that the early evidence suggests.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
My Top 5 here are a little weird as I disallowed myself from picking anything that didn't debut in 2001 and also overlapping genres (so only 1 isekai show for instance)

1. Jobless Reincarnation - Without a doubt one of the best isekai shows to be produced in some time. It does a great job with storytelling and character growth. The world building is compelling. The action is fluidly animated. It's a fun trip in a interesting fantasy setting with fun characters. Absolutely love it.

2. Super Cub - My 'cute girls doing a thing' show for this list. This one stands out for some very lovely art and animation. The handling of color and how it's attached to the main character's emotions is an excellent touch.

3. Shiroi Suna no Aquatope - My drama/slice of life anime of the year. The aquariums and aquatic life are a great setting and all the characters involved are handled very well. I was quickly invested in the lives and story of everyone involved and couldn't wait to see where it was all going.

4. Tokyo Revengers - This is also a drama, but it's got a lot more action and time-travel thing going on, plus it's clearly shounen so I feel ok with picking it as an additional entry. Again this is a show where I felt quickly connected to the characters involved and wanted to see how things were going to get sorted out, which makes up for the often slow pacing. The ideal way to consume this one would be to just binge it, now that all the episodes are available.

5. Tenchi Souzou Design-bu - Honestly if I didn't hold myself to no overlapping genres or sequels this one wouldn't have made my top 5, and it's for that reason I held myself to those rules. This is a really funny comedy with a great premise that deserves more attention.

Honorable Mentions
Bokutachi no Remake - Drama/Supernatural - overlap
Ganbare, Douki-chan - Drama/Slice of Life - overlap
To Your Eternity - Drama/Adventure/Supernatural - overlap
How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom - isekai - overlap
Jujutsu Kaisen - Drama/Action/Shounen - overlap
Farewell, My Dear Cramer - Cute Girls Show - overlap
The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent - isekai - overlap
My Senpai is Annoying - Drama/Slice of Life/Comedy - overlap
The Case Study of Vanitas - Drama/Action/Shounen - overlap
Let's Make a Mug Too - Cute Girls Show - overlap

Dr. STONE: STONE WARS - sequel/ongoing
Girls und Panzer das Finale – Part 3 - sequel/ongoing
Restaurant to Another World 2 - sequel/ongoing
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S - sequel/ongoing
My Hero Academia Season 5 - sequel/ongoing

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 10, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

but Chainsaw Man

And if Chainsaw Man the anime is as good as everyone says the manga is it will probably be on my list for 2022. However this was about anime that air in 2021, and among those JJK was hilariously superior.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

5 - Vanitas no Carte - I'm a sucker for nice environments and this show had very nice environments. The writing wasnt bad and I enjoyed the story in general.
4 - Heike Monogatari - Excellent music and vibe with ambitious storytelling
3 - Pui Pui Molcar - Unique and cute. You could show this show to anyone and they would like it.
2 - Hathaway's Flash - Hell yeah. HELL YEAH.
1 - Sonny Boy - Just incredible. The music, the environments, the story and characters. The vibes were off the charts and really felt like the most special thing I saw all year.

I have so many honorable mentions.
Bishounen Tanteidan | Pretty Boy Detective Club
Fairy Ranmaru: Anata no Kokoro Otasuke Shimasu
Kumo desu ga, Nani ka? | So I'm a Spider, So What?
Kyuuketsuki Sugu Shinu | The Vampire Dies in No Time
MARS RED
Odd Taxi | ODDTAXI
Shadows House
Shiroi Suna no Aquatope | The aquatope on white sand
SK∞ | SK8 the Infinity
SSSS.DYNAZENON
Super Cub
Ura Sekai Picnic | Otherside Picnic
Uramichi Oniisan | Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan
Yuukoku no Moriarty Part 2 | Moriarty the Patriot Part 2
Zombie Land Saga: Revenge

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are just over 48 hours left to vote! So far out of 64 responses, the current standings for everything with at least 10 votes are:

code:
1. Odd Taxi | ODDTAXI		33
2. SSSS.DYNAZENON		15
3. Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song	14
4. Jujutsu Kaisen		13
5. Sonny Boy			11
6. 86: Eighty Six		10
This is your chance to have your favorite 2021 show sneak into the top ten!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

5. Kemono Jihen - Well executed action show, with some nice found family thrown in to the mix.

4. Re-Main - Absolute best sports show of the year, constant soap opera level twists and great comedy throughout. I think all the guys got good amounts of screen time and love, this has made me very excited for Tiger and Bunny s2.

3. Build Divide: Code Black - Absolute second best card show of the year, constant soap opera level twists and great comedy throughout. The most needlessly complex setting and justification for a tournament that I've seen in a while and I was all in on it as it got revealed.

2. Shadowverse - I like watching the TCG a lot and was very happy we got such a great anime out of it. Starts a little shaky because it doesn't seem to want to explain how the game actually works but once it gets underway it's non stop. I think the gang as a whole doesn't get as many crossovers as I'd like (I think a few characters never talk directly to each other), but the relationships we do get out of them are solid. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it also has soap opera level twists and comedy.

1. ODD TAXI - Amazing detective story and manages to constantly juggle storylines without feeling like anything was wasted or dropped. Loved the artstyle and everything about the framing of the show. Odokawa is a weird offbeat guy and I think the way the show handles him and the web of people that makes up the story amazingly. Constantly tense, I'm glad I watched this weekly but can't imagine the treat you're in for if you want to binge it.

An extremely strong year, a couple honorable mentions that would have slotted in to 3-5 depending on how I woke up feeling that day
Honorable mentions:
SK8 the infinity: Some gorgeous production values and great drama out of "downhill skateboard races". Good pairings if you're in to shipping :cheerdoge:

2.43: Unable to dethrone Haikyuu!! as my favorite volleyball anime, this was still a great showing. It take a lot more time to build up to a final game and surprisingly has a lot of time dedicated to the rival team (which works well!)

Jujutsu Kaisen: Another gorgeous show, probably my favorite animated battles of the year. Nobara was definitely my fave of the core three but I liked all of them. I think the school setting feeling a little superfluous is what made me edge it out of the top 5 for Kemono Jihen.

Visual Prison: I feel bad about including this since I still haven't seen the last ep, but it was supremely entertaining and I even appreciated some of the songs despite having no interest in visual kei before this.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

seems like everyone counts these things down, just feels wrong. counting starts at 1

1. Sonny Boy - ignoring that this post will certainly collapse into some form of jerkoff fits, i won't pretend i'm a wordsmith and keep this particular ranking rather to a point. Sonny Boy earns top spot for being a messy and uncompromising show that left me with a pit of uncertainty and ambivalence just as much as it left me with beautifully-crafted worlds and moments full of characters to laugh with, cry for, and wish the best. as the sort of show you feel lucky to even see get made, let alone made well, and in a way that connects with you personally, it's just something i feel deserves acknowledgement.

2. Mushoku Tensei - the same-year split-cour was really kind to this show, letting it sink deep and wide into my 2021 Anime Experience. what most resonates with me is the atmosphere created in it, with a world that realizes itself deeply through accumulating the sorts of small moments that open each episode (glimpses of bustling markets, the start of a planting season etc) and elsewhere in the beauty and detail of the animation and backgrounds. for some reason i am now struck by the EDs' obsession with windows as symbols and feel like maybe it works to convey another part of the series charm. for Rudy, these windows open onto the excitement, adventure, and chances to better himself that this new world holds. however his past life and behavior remain as barriers to deeply connecting to and benefitting from his second chance, since y'know...a window isn't a door. as viewers we've got our own window in the form of each episode, where we can share Rudy's excitement minus the same barriers, easily making it to the other side of the window's "wall" to watch as he works his way through.

now that latter bit is basically where we land back to normal review zone where i say it's understandably frustrating to watch the fits and starts in Rudy's attempts to improve. but his successes along with the lovely arcs for both Eris and Ruijerd really made the back half of these episodes for me and i can't wait for more. quick shout out to Uchiyama Yumi, would not consider myself well-versed in her work prior to this but she really nails Rudy. i'll be sad if they pull a Finest Assassin and replace her after a puberty timeskip.

3. RE-MAIN - any good vote should have some sports rep, probably. there are other strong contenders from this year but RE-MAIN delivers with a stellar execution of the often-gimmicky stock amnesia plot. the show cares much less about characters not named Minato but i enjoy the overall club dynamic and bits of arc given to Jo, Eitaro, and the whole weird alpha-beta poo poo going down with the rival team. it's also great to see an underdog team set and work for a more attainable goal than immediately reaching Nationals etc, so the show doesn't have to bend over backwards twice to accommodate that narrative.

4. Back Arrow - mecha is back, baby! i had misgivings with what seemed like Goro Taniguchi returning to the middling GunXSword well with CG robots to boot, but outside of some bumps in the first quarter this one was a joy to follow weekly. helped by simple but striking designs, the mech combat is much better than i expected, and the constant escalation of the conflict takes it to some laughably wild places. really all the best qualities of the show are reflected plainly in its protagonist: charming, bombastic, and stupid.

5. Kageki Shoujo!! - this is my cope vote because Act-Age got cancelled and i finished the original Glass Mask anime. when it comes to scratching that acting itch, this show was the perfect peg for the hole. you can feel it meandering in the way ongoing manga adaptations often do, but the characters don't lose their charm or humor and i enjoyed the Sarasa/Ai relationship as well as Kaoru's flashback ep. the teachers in this show are a loving mess though.

Honorable Mentions

Oddtaxi - what's this? the 2021 show i actually gave the highest rating to doesn't net a voting spot?? the show i'm spending several hundred dollars to import or w/e the deal is with the BD box??? for the record, this is the sort of contrarianism you should expect going forward. and anyway, this taxi's horn has been tooted quite thoroughly and it has grown up big and strong enough to dominate the vote without my help. i'm glad the prerelease hype Davincie and i had for this panned out as well as it did, and that it found as much success as it has. it's deserving in the same sense as Sonny Boy, just without the part where it has an active disinterest in being digestible. i'd like to thank the internet for creating a flood of Sekiguchi/Yano/Yamamoto art and making me kind of like the Daimons. i'd also like to thank Director Kinoshita for (finale spoilers)compromising his furry vision and giving me the human forms i had been hoping to see all season.

86 - it's hard to say if this would've earned a voting spot ever, but i did grow to like S1 quite a bit. the utter stupidity of San Magnolian leadership was a bit of a hangup for me, but S2 paid it off so i could mostly look back with fondness on the idea of this show when it was a complete-feeling arc. unfortunately S2 has been burning that goodwill with material that sags heavily in the middle and an unfortunate production collapse that only exacerbates that.

The To Your Eternity/Kemono Jihen/World Trigger Award for Solidness in Adaptation - lumping these boys together to save time and energy, they're all stuff i've read and loved the manga of and found the anime to be pretty good companions to! didn't stick with Eternity the whole way through so i actually missed the big production struggles afaik, but s2 will inevitably reel me back in due to having my favorite arc(s). Kemono Jihen escapes uncommented upon except for the aforementioned Solidness of it. World Trigger may have netted a voting spot if S2 and 3 could be counted together, but as-is there was just too much fluctuation in quality in S2 and the slow nature of this series in general means it probably just won't ever make tops without two combined seasons/cours.

Vanitas no Carte - an extreme non-end to this first cour means i couldn't in good conscience even consider it for a top spot despite the oozing style and sexy vampireness that makes it a joy to watch even as it is 24/7 queerbaiting me.

The Heaven's Design Team/Slow Pharmacy Award for Breezy Anime - enjoyed both of these shows as soothing entertainment. there's a bit of fun you can have with guessing games for what is being made but for the most part, they are just a good time to vibe with and laugh, HDT also having the always-fun edutainment angle of stuff like the Kemofure eyecatches etc.

The World's Best Assassin To Reincarnate In A Different World Aristocrat - recipient #1 of the 180-degree award. when this show was just people clutching pearls over it weekly in the seasonal thread, it couldn't be more of a bane to my existence. but then i heard something strange. one of the show arcs is about...the assassin inventing moisturizer to become a wildly successful cosmetics tycoon as a cover identity (and people try to kill him for the formula)??? it was stupid enough to sell me on the series and a short weekend binge later i had a wonderful time with it. i think too little credit is given to it when it comes to what is intended comedy, but won't sit here trying to argue a case. RightnesscorrodedRemainingregretDemolishthisstory!DARK SEEKS LIGHT

Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART - recipient #2 of the 180-degree award, a show i had written off from PV alone. and then from ep1 alone. and then i just kept watching it every week because well, it had some of the trademark insanity of the original Battle Athletes series, just with none of the production chops backing it up. there's a charm to that though, rooting for a show out of its depth in every way by watching it. on the upside it cut out the cringe gay panic and transphobia from the prior versions, as well as the unflattering racial caricatures like the African catgirl (now you just meet her descendant who is a goofy cop and his theme song is a lovely royalty-free Axel F).

Artiswitch - a show i basically picked up on OP song and character designs alone, but found enjoyment in doing stupid little episode writeups for. i've no idea of how in tune it actually is with the Harajuku culture it exists to promote, but the fashion felt real and there are several solid songs in the series even if i think some just miss. with half-length episodes in a fairy godmother format, there's not much depth or innovation in the stories but they are still well done and you even get some lesbian rep in there! of course my favorite is the misanthropic gothloli who pushes Nina into a crisis of faith with her wish to seemingly be wiped from existence, there's just style all over that episode and it sets up a great climax. haven't kept up with the post-S1 material but i will get around to it and hope they may return for another go. Nina's VA is also an amazing newbie performance so i hope to hear more from her as well.

Fairy Ranmaru - the team behind magical girl sentai parody Cute High takes that and mashes it up with concepts of Buddhism, fairies, Madoka Witch domains, and Laughing Salesman-style indiscriminate karmic retribution. commentary is given on manga publishing, MLMs, abusive workplaces, adultery etc etc. the characters within the episodic plots are pretty thin, so you're mainly there for the mystery of what's actually up with fairy society and the backstories and relationships of the fairies. i'm mixed on whether that stuff comes together particularly well, the handling of fairy society's underbelly came off weak to me though i did enjoy the conflict between Chilka/Betelgeuse and especially Homura/Uruu. i pretty much entirely pushed this up to a full HM entry to post about Homura/Uruu.

pictured: rushing in to save the man you hate (because his dad had an affair with your mom and you found her after she committed suicide)

pictured: after attempting to strangle the man you hate in his sleep and then breaking down and revealing your trauma to him, realizing that you're seeing in him the same qualities that made your mom have an affair with his dad

https://files.catbox.moe/bqtsjw.mp4

and capping things off, the HM Lightning Round:

Rumble Garanndoll - nice to see more SD mecha, and hear Shiori Izawa as a catgirl hacker. bummed that there is no Idol End since that ship was by far the best, but overall enjoyed the landing of this show even if it wobbled towards the end.
Godzilla SP - i have literally never seen a Godzilla, wow! this definitely seemed heavier on hard SF babble than i expect they usually are, but the converging ensemble nature of it was fun to follow. Pelops II ftw!!
The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace - love how this show just oozes Namek aesthetic and pairs it with OVA energy via crass humor and gore. cons: very ongoing manga vibe, bunch of sexual content beyond the line of aforementioned crass humor.
Burning Kabaddi - beefcake show of beefcakes, it's also interesting to learn about a sport i had only heard of before. charming through its obviously limited production.
Build Divide - cardgame show with nice stylistic flourish through 4:3 perspective shifts and the field mechanics, games come off fairly compelling despite being abbreviated, good dry humor and really goes for broke with the finale! S2 hype!
Mars Red - in the glut of other vampire stuff this year, i've found this more appealing in retrospect as a somber and muted take on the concept.
Nomad: Megalobox 2 - Megalobox is nothing if not consistent, offering me the same experience of S1 with a series i quite liked 75% of but felt it didn't cohere into a particularly insightful or good ending.
Dynazenon - i enjoyed the ensemble shift to this contrasted w/ Gridman's narrower scope. Yomogi and Yume are both great and i like Chise. did feel like most of the kaiju stuff is superfluous, undercooked, and an active detriment to the show.
SK8 - not much to add to what's already been said here, a lovely ensemble cast in a ridiculous skating world and the production stays pretty on point despite the news of struggles. glad to know we'll be getting more!
2.43 Seiin High's Boys Volleyball - another strong sports contender, i thought the character drama was well-done across the main cast and the animation surprised my low expectations. no big hooks to it though, just simple and straightforward.
Super Cub - this one almost made the tops. i'm not yet a moe guy with words to say about moe, but for a show i picked up on the back of making fun of its "desaturation = depression" visual style, i really grew to love these girls and seeing their adventures. it's a god drat travesty that ossan Reiko isn't more popular.
Super Crooks - everyone loves a good heist, and this show delivers with two. the chunk of it that actually adapts the comic is shockingly the better part, having a good grasp on economical pacing. the anime-original heist does have plenty of highlights but it's just a bit too thin when stretched over ~half the season. the soundtrack from Towa Tei is a nice cherry on top.
Visual Prison - the overarching plot of this one didn't quite hit for me but i like the episodic plots. too much non-vkei music in here but when the songs hit, they do hit! also some surprisingly fun ships came out of this but i am content just stanning Hyde as the (histrionic) put-upon husband to idiot Dimitri and praying Mist someday gets that Saga dick he is so desperate for.
Muteking - absolutely loved the style of this but a bit too much wheel-spinning and non-sequitur material really drag down the conclusion. i cannot pull out any interesting or coherent point from its mess, and the decision to have the adults roll out a bunch of unexplained contingency plans to solve 90% of the main conflict for Muteking is baffling.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 15, 2022

kater
Nov 16, 2010

the best anime of the year os ARCANE. get over yourselfs if you can't accept glorious french anime into your heart.

1. Attack on Titan - Absolutely suffocating anti-war propaganda. the last season ended with the mc sobbing realizing his childhood dream was worthless crap and he would die a soldier. this season is hell realized. i dont give a gently caress how it ends this was beautiful.
2. Super Cub - before i had nothing, now i've got my cub
3. Mushoku Tensei - im a fan of good stuff
4. Love Live Whatever - was fun. best love live main character? probably. well seeing as how Niji's doesn't become an idol then loving yes.
5. I don't remember what I voted for 5th. Oh Vivy. Yeah Vivy was good.

I didn't even have that many near misses. a bunch of stuff I didn't finish oh well. oh I should have voted for Girls Und Panzer but thats the best anime every year so eh.

and proud member of the odd taxi finding out it was all brain problems ruins a show club.

kater fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 15, 2022

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
basically didnt watch anything but 1 - sonny boy

just doing my part

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
1) Odd Taxi - I love the characters and the plot. It has a gritty and realistic feeling while also being fantastical.
2) Hathaway - I had low expectations going in and was very impressed by both the animation and the realization of the characters. Probably my second favorite Gundam film after F91.
3) Thunderbolt Fantasy S3 - way more fun than S2 in every aspect.
4) Banished from the Hero’s Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside - way more interesting than I had expected in the plotting of the world. The characters were cute and it was nice to see a realized romance plot.
5) Super Cub - like a different take on Laid Back Camp that I think I actually appreciated more than Laid Back Camp S2. I think it actually captured the feeling of being a high schooler and working a lovely part time job better than any other piece of media I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

1. Eighty-Six (Season One)

San Magnolia's silver-haired Alba have labelled the rest of the country's people '86', stripped them of their citizenship and rights, and banished them to die in deathtrap mecha on the front lines of an unceasing defensive war. With this premise, Eighty-Six might have been yet another lazy allegory with nothing to say beyond the true-but-well-trodden "racism is bad"—but it isn't. We're given a look at both the original purpose of 86 dehumanization and the rhetoric and policies that ensure San Magnolian citizens continue to buy into it. Firstly, state media and education, including military education, hold that San Magnolian mecha are 'autonomous' and the 86 do not exist. Secondly, in-person and visual contact between Alba and 86 is kept to an absolute minimum lest Alba see the 86's humanity; even commanders, who are Alban, never once see their squads, communicating only via "Para-Raid", a voice-only sense-sharing technology.

This angle is supported by a genius framing device: each episode is split into two halves, one shown from the perspective of Alban major Vladlena and the other from her squadron "Spearhead." The two sides mostly cover the same stretch of time, so events and (thanks to Para-Raid) audio are largely duplicated, but the visuals are entirely different—and that can entirely change the nature of a scene. In one early episode, what Vladlena sees as a pleasant call is visibly tense on Spearhead's end. It helps that both halves are laden with interesting (and gorgeous) imagery.

Season One is excellent and largely self-contained (remarkably so for a split-cour anime that ends on a blatant cliffhanger). You can watch it without committing to Season Two and beyond, so give it a try.

2. Blue Reflection Ray

Compared to fellow character-drama-cum-mahou-shoujo anime Madoka and GRANBELM, Blue Reflection Ray does a questiobable job of uniting its two halves—or maybe the magical girl half just isn't great; it's stuffed with magibabble and motionless action, and the show's limited budget and baffling art style hurt it the most. But even so, its drama side is excellent. Mundane moments never feel underwritten or by-the-book: when co-protagonist Hiori describes how her mother walked out to buy lightbulbs and never came back, she doesn't finish by trailing off or bursting into tears; she concludes, "So we just bought some new ones ourselves." The show's high points are its two episode-length villain flashbacks, which do more than provide backstory: even on their own, they're compelling, and surprisingly real, tragedies.

3. SSSS.Dynazenon

I like Dynazenon's cast a lot. Yomogi aside, the protagonists are allowed to be fuckups: Yume is a social outcast and serial ditcher, Koyomi is a NEET, Chise skips her classes, and Gauma is a crab-eating bridge troll. It's refreshing. The action, unfortunately, falls flat for me—particularly when it comes to the kaiju, whose powers are conceptually cool but horribly underutilized. This was a a problem in Gridman, too, and I really hope Gridman x Dynazenon puts it to rest.

4. Re:Zero Season Two Part Two

The pact is fulfilled.

5. idk what else i watched this year

It hasn't been a great one. Eighty-Six Season Two is edging closer and closer to mid and Yuuki Yuuna: Dai-Mankai no Shou tried to cram two light novel series and the previous season's ending into one cour. Even Wonder Egg Priority, which had the strongest premiere of the year, fell apart utterly in the second half—

5. The First Six Episodes of Wonder Egg Priority

ootokoito 4ever