Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
5. Heike Monogatari: A lovely adaptation of a piece of classic Japanese literature, with a lot of director Yamada's signature hallmarks.

4. Bishounen Tanteidan (Pretty Boys Detective Club): In many ways this feels like a dollar store discount version of a season of Monogatari, which makes sense given it is also written by Nisio Isin, directed by Akiyuki Shimbo, and animated at Shaft. And while it may not have been as compelling as the Monogatari series, it still has it's own unique blend of charm. Plotwise I really did enjoy the first and last arcs of the show, but felt the middle arcs were somewhat lacking. Thankfully Shimbo and Shaft brought their A-game in making the show visually gorgeous and varying up the styles across various scenes so that you were never bored during that journey, and it did payoff in the end.

3. Sonny Boy: Probably the most confusing show from last year, I think the show works well as a metaphor for growing up into adulthood and deciding both what "worlds" we create in front of us, and how to live in the "worlds" that we cannot change. It's probably not something that everyone can enjoy, but if you want a more ambiguous anime to really just ponder on and think about for a while, this is a good one.

2. Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight Movie: The followup to the TV series of the same name from a few years ago. And while it might not have a huge depth to its themes, it more than makes up for it with the sheer spectacle of the whole thing, with even more high budget, complex choreographed musical fight scenes between our characters. It does a good job of filling in some of the gaps the show left us hanging on. Definitely watch it if you enjoyed the show.

1. Odd Taxi: This is the stereotypical answer at this point, but for good reason. It's an ambitious original anime that does a lot of unique things for am anime, that really lends to it standing out, not just this year, but among all anime. And it's all tied together with a solid story, interesting characters, and a lot of conversations with more naturalistic dialogue than your typical anime. It's definitely going to be one of those shows that you see people mentioning offhandedly for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Vote validation

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Submitted yesterday.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I voted a while back but I forgot to post here.

EDIT:

1. Another vote for ODD TAXI There were a ton of good shows this season, too many to list really, but nothing in the past few years hit me as hard as this one, and I seriously doubt anything will for a long time.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 17, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AOTY stuff:

1) Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time - Look, I'll level with you all. I'm typing this entry many months in advance, before the English release of the movie is even out. But to be honest? I don't even need to see it to know that it will be the best anime of the year (After all, as I type this I'm only a few days away from the news that Masaaki Yuasa's newest movie has been delayed to 2022, which realistically is the only anime that could even compete for my favorite of the year). In fact, it doesn't even have to be good. Just the fact that it exists is enough for me. Back in 2016 I decided to give up on the mecha genre for awhile, since to me that year was a dire year for anime and mecha anime especially so. I got so burnt out that I decided that I would take a break from the genre until the final Rebuild came out, and back then we didn't even know what the release year was. But heck, I'm good at quitting things cold turkey and it honestly felt liberating to not feel obligated to have any takes at all on new entries in the genre. Will I return to watching mecha stuff after having seen the final Rebuild movie? Time will tell.

2) Wonder Egg Priority - Gave me a lot of what I want out of a non-Yuasa anime these days.

3) Pompo the Cinephile - I'm a total mark for movies about movies and this is a pretty well-made one of those! Even more importantly, it's only 90 minutes long which as the eponymous Pompo says, is the perfect length for a movie. You gotta admire an anime that practices what it preaches.

4) Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Not actually the final season, but I quite like the branding for it if only because the show has transitioned to feeling like a sequel without actually being one. It takes a lot of risks and they've all paid off. At this point there's not a lot new to say about AoT as a whole, I find it to be one of if not the best long-running serialized stories in anime these days, and I'm very excited for the actual final season. I've certainly heard the chatter about the manga ending but simply put I generally do not trust anime fans when it comes to the quality of endings. Some pals who read the manga told me that while they weren't a fan of the ending they think I'll like it a lot, so speaking as the only person on the planet who still hasn't checked out the manga I'm quite excited to see it unfold!

5) Gintama the Very Final - Even though I'm quite behind on Gintama, I couldn't pass up the chance to see this on the big screen. I might not have known everything about the plot of the final arc going in, but I was able to get by. After all, in a show like this it's more important that I know about the characters and the emotions going into it as opposed to the nuts and bolts of the plot. It's an excellent sendoff to the series, and I can't wait to watch it again someday when I'm properly caught up.

Honorable Mentions:

1) Oddtaxi - A well-crafted anime that deserves all the praise thrown at it. Always nice to get an excellent anime that seemingly comes out of nowhere. Can't wait to see more from that director!

2) My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission - Really deserves kudos for being the rare shonen jump movie with a solidly-written original character instead of someone annoying who exists to suck up the oxygen in the room while drip feeding the plot to the viewer. Other than that it's a standard but competently executed kind of shonen jump movie. Hey, as long as they keep making them I'll keep putting my butt in those theater seats and have a blast each time.

3) Higurashi: When They Cry Gou/Sotsu - Haven't quite finished it yet since it's hard for me to make time for tv anime these days but just like last year as someone who hasn't seen the original anime or read the VN I have found it to be a palatable entry point.

Alternate Honorable Mentions - Shows still ongoing in 2022 & movies from 2020 that weren't readily available in English until 2021:

1) Josee, the Tiger and the Fish - Anime-likers can be a fickle bunch. I'm not saying that as a diss, because I'd lump myself in that category too. I'm saying it because this movie delivers what a lot of anime fans claim to want but all too frequently tend to avoid; a romance anime between two adult characters that's not afraid to definitively commit to their relationship instead of the 'ol will they/won't they. It's quite good and I'm glad I had the chance to see it on the big screen!

2) Lupin the 3rd Part 6 - Part 5 lost me with its extremely serialized format; each story arc felt like watching a mediocre Lupin movie in 20 minute chunks. I'll be honest, it made me pretty concerned for any future Lupin projects, outside of the Koike movies of course. Thankfully Part 6 has been more in line with Part 4; a bunch of standalone episodes with the occasional plot episode thrown in. The latter is okay enough but the former has resulted in a bunch of fine episodes, with the obvious highlights being the two episodes Mamoru Oshii wrote. Dude got to work some of the concepts from his canceled Lupin movie into one of his episodes so that's cool as hell.

3) Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Movie: Mugen Train - what if there was a demon slayer

4) Looking for Magical Doremi - When it comes to fandom I say fandon't. Despite not being familiar with Magical Doremi at all I was rather taken with this movie between Junichi Sato's usual solid direction and its sensibilities that feel more in line with a certain kind of indie movie than an anime.

5) Poupelle of Chimney Town - Studio 4C is back, baby. The story itself might be some fairly standard children's movie fare in its plotting but it's a solid execution of it with a nice aesthetic to boot.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
:siren: Voting is now closed. :siren:

Results will be posted tomorrow afternoon after I finish tabulating and verifying the votes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
We got a total of 79 votes and 85 unique anime worth voting for. Let's get to the top ten unranked (ties are broken by honorable mentions).

1. Odd Taxi | ODDTAXI - 42 votes + 6 HM

The standout favorite pick, comprising over half of all total votes. No other show quite gets the same praise for its dialogue as Odd Taxi does.

2. SSSS.DYNAZENON - 17 votes + 7 HM

Apparently not as good as its sister show Gridman, but good enough to follow suit in taking second place like Gridman did in 2018.

3. Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song - 16 votes + 5 HM

An AI narrative that borrows its themes and especially aesthetics heavily from David Cage's Detroit Become Human, but it seems reviewers were too afraid to acknowledge this fact directly. Another winner with a caveat where most people did not care for its ending.

4. Jujutsu Kaisen - 16 votes + 4 HM

Sometimes good production values coupled with your popular shounen adaptation is enough to win many hearts. Did you know that it's a shounen?

5. Sonny Boy - 15 votes + 1 HM

Praised for its imagination and uniqueness, but at the same time acknowledged to be incomprehensible for some of its viewers.

6. 86: Eighty Six - 11 votes + 9 HM
7. SK∞ | SK8 the Infinity - 11 votes + 7 HM
8. Shin Evangelion Movie:|| | Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time - 11 votes + 3 HM
9. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 | Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 Part 2 - 10 votes + 4 HM
10. Attack on Titan Final Season - 10 votes + 2 HM

The ranked top ten:

code:
1. Odd Taxi					163 points
2/3. SSSS.DYNAZENON				56 points
2/3. Sonny Boy					56 points	(+3)
4. Jujutsu Kaisen				52 points
5. Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song			47 points	(-2)
6. Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time	41 points	(+2)
7. SK8 the Infinity				38 points		
8. Attack on Titan Final Season			36 points
9. Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation	33 points	(+4)
10. Non Non Biyori: Nonstop			32 points	(+4)
The full results and voting record can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LypuUAN0CL1EDLW2BDjof7Bkl2GYvDEUImrwXjgyxUY/edit?usp=sharing

Usernames highlighted in red indicate cases where I found a discrepancy in the vote, usually in the form of more ranked votes than anime voted for or vice versa. If there is a discrepancy between the anime voted for in the form versus the thread post, I defer to the thread post. Manual fixes to the vote are marked in the bolded green text. If someone ranked fewer shows than they voted for, I simply treated the remaining anime as all ranked #5. If there are any mistakes, please let me know.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you can go anywhere on a super cub, except the top 10 of ADTRW AOTY 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

neither non non biyori or super cub being in the top 10 is proof once again that adtrw hates women

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
edit: i cant read

Hace fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 17, 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
the ranked results being ignored is proof that dav hates alternate tabulation methods

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for comparison heres the 5ch aoty

1.Kageki Shoujo 753pt
2.ODD TAXI 739pt
3. Mushoku Tensei 612
4. Uma Musume Season2 595
5. Vivy -Fluorite Eye's Song- 348
6. Singeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) The Final Season 302
7. Non-non biyori non-stop 216
8. Yurucam Season2 213
9. Ousama Ranking 207
10. Sonny Boy 192
11. SK∞ 162
12. Kobayashi san chino may dragon S159
13. Shadow house 156
14. Love live! Super star!! 150
15. Tsuki to Laica to kyuuketsu ki 148
15, Wander Egg Priority 148
17. Zonbie Land Saga Revenage 144
18. Super Cab 143
19. Kyuuketsu ki sugu shinu 139
20. SSSS.DYNAZENON 137
(the translator/counter hosed up here but it starts at 21)
Myukuru Dreamy (incl. mix) 113
DRAGON QUEST DAI no daibouken 105
Megaton kyu MUSASHI 97
Mieruko chan 95
86 94
Dr.STONE Season2 89
Kimetsu no Yaiba 87
Blue Period 86
Back Arrow 83
Ijiranaide Nagatoro San 82
Taisyo Otome Otogibanashi 80
takt op.Destiny 77
Shiroi Sunano Aquatope 77
World Trigger Seasn2 & Season3 76
Wattcha Primagi! 72
RE-MAIN 71
jahee sama wa kujike nai 70
Yakunara Mag mo 62
Geki Doll 61
Slime taoshite 300 nen,,, 60
Sekai saikyou no ansatsusya... 59
Meikyu Black Campany 59
Hataraku Saibou BLACK 58
Godzilla S.P. <Singura Point> 58
BLUE REFLECTION RAY 54
Heion Sedai no Datenshitachi 53
PUI PUI Mol Car 52
Kanojo mo Kanojo 50
Yuuki Yuina ha yuusha de aru 50
Isekai Syokudo 2 48

and the 4chan aoty

reddit has only just started voting, very slow site

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Davincie posted:

and the 4chan aoty

reddit has only just started voting, very slow site

cant help but feel 4chan kicked this subforum's rear end

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Congrats to Aoi Yuuki wining VA of the year every other year since 2015.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

honestly those 4chan lists are all roughly the same as ours other than 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
5ch and 4chan also separates out Movies and OVAs unlike OP for some reason though that really only affects one place value in the totals. idk if it has any further reaching effects.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm seeing a tragic omission of idolish7 on all these lists from other communities, so who can say who is wrong or right.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Allarion posted:

I'm seeing a tragic omission of idolish7 on all these lists from other communities, so who can say who is wrong or right.

I'm more worried about the lack of Nomad on everyone's lists. :colbert:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I'm more worried about the lack of Nomad on everyone's lists. :colbert:

It was mid op.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

5ch and 4chan also separates out Movies and OVAs unlike OP for some reason though that really only affects one place value in the totals. idk if it has any further reaching effects.

Looking back through previous years as far as I could tell based on my quick skimming it looks like this year was the first time in awhile (maybe even ever?) that a movie actually landed in the top 10.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for compiling the votes!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

a lot of movies don't even have english subs in time for these threads so that's not surprising

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

a lot of movies don't even have english subs in time for these threads so that's not surprising

Yea absolutely. There are some other factors at play too, like it's harder to get awareness out there for non-franchise movies that aren't by known names or certain studios (Watch Josee, everyone!) but that's definitely one of the biggest factors at play.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tales of Woe posted:

I'm still salty Heaven's Feel ~Spring Song~ got shafted by COVID and technically getting a limited theater release in 2020. It was such a good series of movies.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fucker posted:

cant help but feel 4chan kicked this subforum's rear end

watched a few episodes of mushoku tensei. disregard this

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just one more way 4chan kicked this forum's rear end

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
:salt:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

None of those other lists have Arcane either wtf.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's almost like Arcane isn't an anime.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Julias posted:

It's almost like Arcane isn't an anime.

:thunk:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I didn't see the Mickey Mouse shorts or Animaniacs either this lost is bunk

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

I liked Vivy. I have also not played Detroit Become Human. What I'm gathering is that I should play Detroit Become Human.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Nah

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
detroit become human invented the sci-fi subgenre of "are androids people?"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Malsangoroth posted:

I liked Vivy. I have also not played Detroit Become Human. What I'm gathering is that I should play Detroit Become Human.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and a lot of it is very pretty but it's a Dave Cage game so just go in with the expectation that you'll make some choices that can change outcomes and not worry too much about it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're right, I forgot to mention that Vivy stole from Portal too.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Malsangoroth posted:

it was what forumologists call a joke.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Going off the myanimelist scores the top 5 for 2021 are:

9.06 - Fruits Basket: The Final
9.03 - Gintama: The Final
8.85 - Ranking of Kings
8.78 - Mushoku Tensei (anime was a mistake)
8.77 - Odd Taxi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Reik posted:

Going off the myanimelist scores the top 5 for 2021 are:

9.06 - Fruits Basket: The Final
9.03 - Gintama: The Final
8.85 - Ranking of Kings
8.78 - Mushoku Tensei (anime was a mistake)
8.77 - Odd Taxi

i checked 2 days ago and sonny boy was the 83rd best anime of 2021 at the time lol