Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
My Top 5 here are a little weird as I disallowed myself from picking anything that didn't debut in 2001 and also overlapping genres (so only 1 isekai show for instance)

1. Jobless Reincarnation - Without a doubt one of the best isekai shows to be produced in some time. It does a great job with storytelling and character growth. The world building is compelling. The action is fluidly animated. It's a fun trip in a interesting fantasy setting with fun characters. Absolutely love it.

2. Super Cub - My 'cute girls doing a thing' show for this list. This one stands out for some very lovely art and animation. The handling of color and how it's attached to the main character's emotions is an excellent touch.

3. Shiroi Suna no Aquatope - My drama/slice of life anime of the year. The aquariums and aquatic life are a great setting and all the characters involved are handled very well. I was quickly invested in the lives and story of everyone involved and couldn't wait to see where it was all going.

4. Tokyo Revengers - This is also a drama, but it's got a lot more action and time-travel thing going on, plus it's clearly shounen so I feel ok with picking it as an additional entry. Again this is a show where I felt quickly connected to the characters involved and wanted to see how things were going to get sorted out, which makes up for the often slow pacing. The ideal way to consume this one would be to just binge it, now that all the episodes are available.

5. Tenchi Souzou Design-bu - Honestly if I didn't hold myself to no overlapping genres or sequels this one wouldn't have made my top 5, and it's for that reason I held myself to those rules. This is a really funny comedy with a great premise that deserves more attention.

Honorable Mentions
Bokutachi no Remake - Drama/Supernatural - overlap
Ganbare, Douki-chan - Drama/Slice of Life - overlap
To Your Eternity - Drama/Adventure/Supernatural - overlap
How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom - isekai - overlap
Jujutsu Kaisen - Drama/Action/Shounen - overlap
Farewell, My Dear Cramer - Cute Girls Show - overlap
The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent - isekai - overlap
My Senpai is Annoying - Drama/Slice of Life/Comedy - overlap
The Case Study of Vanitas - Drama/Action/Shounen - overlap
Let's Make a Mug Too - Cute Girls Show - overlap

Dr. STONE: STONE WARS - sequel/ongoing