Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Watched a bunch of anime:

100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru 2nd Season | I'm Standing on a Million Lives Season 2
    Attack on Titan Final Season
    Bokutachi no Remake | Remake Our Life!
    EDENS ZERO
    Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou. | Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway
    Horimiya
    Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san | DON'T TOY WITH ME, MISS NAGATORO
    Kanojo mo Kanojo | Girlfriend, Girlfriend
    Komi-san wa, Komyushou desu. | Komi Can’t Communicate
    Kyuukyoku Shinka Shita Full Dive RPG ga Genjitsu yori mo Kusogee Dattara | Full Dive: This Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life!
    Log Horizon: Entaku Houkai | Log Horizon: Destruction of the Round Table
    Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu | Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation
    Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai Love Come | Osamake: Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose
    Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta… X | My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! X
    Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 | Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 Part 2
    Sekai Saikou no Ansatsusha, Isekai Kizoku ni Tensei suru | The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat
    Shin no Nakama ja Nai to Yuusha no Party wo Oidasareta node, Henkyou de Slow Life suru Koto ni shimashita | Banished from the Hero’s Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside
    Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita | I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
    Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song

Christ that is a lot of anime, but it turns out if you just turn something on when you eat lunch or dinner you can watch a lot of television.

Here are the awards:

:cripes:The Sword Art Online Award for Biggest Dumpster Fire

The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat

Overpowered Protagonist? Check. Harem? Check. Everyone is Underage? Check. Banging Your Cousin? Oh gently caress the hell yes check. This show managed to actually intrigue me with how the early episodes were presented only to descend into the worst of Isekai genre tropes and capped it all off with the protagonist being in love with his cousin. People told me that it was by the guy who did Redo of Healer and it would be terrible and for some reason I didn't believe them until I was six or seven episodes in and at that point watching to see how much more bullshit would happen. Now I'm probably on a list somewhere.

:glomp:The Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Award for Anime I Thought Would Be A Dumpster Fire But Was Actually Good

Higehiro

I saw the title and description and rubbed my hands in glee, getting ready for some Domestic Girlfriend level stupidity and what I got instead was a really heartwarming story about a girl in trouble and a man who would not give up on her no matter what. The first few episodes come across as a little skeevy but it's done in service of the plot and allows the show latitude to end in some great highs. I had a great time with this overall and would recommend it to anyone.

:munch:The Akudama Drive Award for Best One and Done

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song

Man what a show. Vivy's advertising did it no favours, making it seem like an idol show but I'm glad I got recommended it because Terminator but with Singing is not something I knew I wanted in my life. An excellent opening, a weird middle that leads to an even more incredible penultimate plot landed it as a firm favourite as I watched it, but I have to agree that whilst it didn't quite fumble the ending, the finale didn't live up to the heights of the rest of the season. Still, an incredibly impactful and fun series to watch overall.

:hmmyes:Second Runner Up

Horimiya

This show has possibly the best dialogue between romantic interests since Bunny Girl. The first six episodes are possibly the strongest I've ever seen a romcom come out the gate developing the relationship between Hori and Miyamura in a way that's more natural than I've seen any other anime manage. If the season was just those six episodes, or maintained that quality it would be the anime of the year for me by miles. As it is, the show falters as it tries to find a new premise once the protagonists finish their initial arc, trying to fill time by focusing on the lives of other characters. That's often fine, but those characters are typically less interesting than the titular duo and the failure to continue to advance their relationship emotionally ultimately stalls the show out. That said, nothing will take away from how I felt watching the top half and the back half is by no means bad, but just unable to maintain that outstanding quality.

:sweatdrop:First Runner Up

Mushoku Tensei

God placing this show is a struggle sometimes. Mushoku Tensei is lovingly crafted, with absolutely outstanding animation and incredible music. The world it paints is magnificent with the opening portions of every episode taking time to situate you in with the characters and show their journey through the world. And the characters. The show banks so much on being able to make you feel what the characters are going through. None of them are perfect and yet unless someone is an outright villain, Mushoku Tensei is able to make every action feel relatable.

And then the show pervs on a 13 year old.

I wonder how easily Mushoku Tensei would win anime of the year for me if it just calmed the gently caress down with sexualising minors. It's absolutely maddening. Everything else in the show is just so incredible and yet almost without fail I cringe and some stupid poo poo like this and wonder if I should keep watching. I get the feeling, especially after the ending of the second part of season 1 that all of this was in service to the plot, but ugh, it is really hard to give the show the benefit of the doubt.

Yet, every episode feels like it's 2 minutes long. They fly by because I'm enthralled and so the show lands here and I hope to god that when another season comes out, my faith isn't misplaced.

:vince:Anime of the Year

Attack on Titan - The Final Season - Part 1

Of the two huge sequels this year, Re: Zero's second half felt like the show was going on a victory lap after an absolutely stellar first half. Attack on Titan had no such luxury. Burdened with acclimating us to a timeskip, introducing a whole plethora of new characters and dealing with a studio transition, Attack on Titan managed not just to succeed, it soared. The show delivered on all fronts, giving us the absolutely brutal action that we've come to expect from the series but amid a backdrop that continues to drive home the idea that war makes monsters of us all. Attack on Titan is excellent at ratcheting up tension and relieving all that stress at the moment for the most possible impact, waiting not just minutes, but entire episodes to show us what has happened to the crew we've been following for years. But all of that time is necessary, we come to understand a society that we've seen as the other for so long. It's vital to humanise people we've come to hate so that what initially feels like a triumph gradually descends into failure.

It's hard to have missed the rumblings of how the manga ended, but I'm going to remain ignorant of that ending and say that for the moment, this season is a masterful showing and well deserving of Anime of the Year for me.

Long Live Potato Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU