Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Don't really have any order to this so here's the poo poo I liked this year:

1. 86 - I thought the first cour of 86 was a really nice self-contained story. If I had to describe it, it's something like an "anti-mecha" show. Describing it like that is probably going to annoy people but that's the best way I know how to put it for a show that spends more of its time exploring things like dealing with hopelessness and inevitability than watching how cool the robots are as they slice each other apart. Lena is a great inversion of a classical mecha protagonist in the sense that she needs to get over herself and recognize that she's not really helping with all the speeches and ideals while not actually doing anything practical. Losing her is one of the reasons I think the 2nd cour was a big downgrade over the first.

2. ODD TAXI - An obvious contender for AOTY for reasons I think most people have already covered better than i could. It's refreshing to see a show that actually manages to coordinate so many plot threads without it turning into a real mess.

3. Love Live! Superstar: I debated putting this one here because it's a show that starts really strong, then turns into a dumb plot mess for what I can only guess is an unnecessary return to tradition, before getting better again once the plot is resolved with a song and dance (as is customary in Idol shows). Reducing the character count to 5 definitely helped develop the characters more, but stupid motivations dragged some of them *cough*Ren*cough* back down. However, It's still a show that i was hyped for and actually delivered. Superstar dodged the Sunshine S1 problem of "HAVE I MENTIONED HOW MUCH I LOVE MU'S IN THE LAST 5 MINUTES." I wish they would drop the stupid "school might be closing" plot because the stakes are already high enough without needing to drag back the same plot from the last two shows. I did appreciate that each of the idols had a real (if short) character arc, something i found lacking for a few of the idols in OG and Sunshine. Cutting the character list to something more manageable for a single season was a good call.

I know, so far I haven't really been selling it, but Love Live! has always been a series that relied on the strength of its character interactions and performances , and Superstar has some real bangers. I appreciate it for that even if the plot can get dumb at times.

4. Idolish7 Third Beat:

The Joker from batman is here to destroy your puny idol group.

5. Kageki Shoujo: Here's another one I debated putting here because there are some weird choices for the earlier plots where the show is so consumed with the dark side of showbusiness (specifically critiquing Takarazuka Revue) that it forgets that it's supposed to be a comedy. The show steadily gets better over the 2nd half as it starts to, well, enjoy acting. It felt like a much more grounded take on showbusiness than the melodrama of shows where you magically gain acting ability by being locked in the shed and nearly freezing to death. The show had some really good comedic timing, too. Also the EDs own.

Honorable mention: Jaku-chara Tomozaki. The first part of the series was kinda stock LN business but I did like where the show seemed to be going when it ran out of episodes as it started to pry off Aoi's veneer and set up what I assume is going to be the main moral conflict in the LN series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU