Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
3. Super Cub
Lovely chill show about a depressed girl slowly expanding her horizons that can find earnest joy in her making it as far out as the local grocery store. The beautiful background art & character style elevate a limited production into something really nice to look at.

2. Uma Musume Season 2
As someone who strongly disliked what I saw of the first season, I was struck by how effectively S2 took a shaky foundation and built on it an amazing story about an athlete struggling with circumstances completely beyond her control. The Teioh/McQueen dynamic is wonderful, Twin Turbo's squad are a really fun comedy C-Team, but the best episode was the Rice Shower one which caught me completely off guard.

1. Blue Reflection Ray
I can make no excuses here, this show is pretty ugly. It clearly wasn't given the resources it needed to succeed, so I think it says a lot that it managed to shoot up to my AOTY largely on the strength of its character writing. A cast full of sad gay messes each exploring their own unique self-loathing while everything gets continuously worse around them, even the increasingly off-the-rails plot enabling some really interesting and nuanced explorations of interpersonal dynamics. And when it does go for humor its jokes really land.
The evil onee-sama gets symbolically married to her angry henchgirl causing a psychic shockwave powerful enough to almost knock out one of the heroes. Ash falls from the sky as the world slowly dies but we still have time for a chill dorm cleaning episode. One ep inexplicably goes full social satire? It's a show doomed to be adored by like 5 people but what can I say, I'm one of them.

As a Blue Reflection thing to recommend I'd more easily go for the game BR Second Light which combines that solid grasp of social nuance with a consistently strong presentation, though it does go for a much softer and nicer sort of tone, which in turn makes the show an interesting contrast piece. You should play BR2, it's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU