Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

My resolution: to not post in the resolutions thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

5. Kemono Jihen - Well executed action show, with some nice found family thrown in to the mix.

4. Re-Main - Absolute best sports show of the year, constant soap opera level twists and great comedy throughout. I think all the guys got good amounts of screen time and love, this has made me very excited for Tiger and Bunny s2.

3. Build Divide: Code Black - Absolute second best card show of the year, constant soap opera level twists and great comedy throughout. The most needlessly complex setting and justification for a tournament that I've seen in a while and I was all in on it as it got revealed.

2. Shadowverse - I like watching the TCG a lot and was very happy we got such a great anime out of it. Starts a little shaky because it doesn't seem to want to explain how the game actually works but once it gets underway it's non stop. I think the gang as a whole doesn't get as many crossovers as I'd like (I think a few characters never talk directly to each other), but the relationships we do get out of them are solid. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it also has soap opera level twists and comedy.

1. ODD TAXI - Amazing detective story and manages to constantly juggle storylines without feeling like anything was wasted or dropped. Loved the artstyle and everything about the framing of the show. Odokawa is a weird offbeat guy and I think the way the show handles him and the web of people that makes up the story amazingly. Constantly tense, I'm glad I watched this weekly but can't imagine the treat you're in for if you want to binge it.

An extremely strong year, a couple honorable mentions that would have slotted in to 3-5 depending on how I woke up feeling that day
Honorable mentions:
SK8 the infinity: Some gorgeous production values and great drama out of "downhill skateboard races". Good pairings if you're in to shipping :cheerdoge:

2.43: Unable to dethrone Haikyuu!! as my favorite volleyball anime, this was still a great showing. It take a lot more time to build up to a final game and surprisingly has a lot of time dedicated to the rival team (which works well!)

Jujutsu Kaisen: Another gorgeous show, probably my favorite animated battles of the year. Nobara was definitely my fave of the core three but I liked all of them. I think the school setting feeling a little superfluous is what made me edge it out of the top 5 for Kemono Jihen.

Visual Prison: I feel bad about including this since I still haven't seen the last ep, but it was supremely entertaining and I even appreciated some of the songs despite having no interest in visual kei before this.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The MAL user base is probably a decade+ younger on average than SA. Their rankings will likely not be helpful to you!