Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Between work, family matters, and other hobbies, I haven't been watching a lot of anime lately, but I've seen enough this year for a full list. Here goes:

Honorable mention: Sonny Boy and The Case Study of Vanitas. I can't actually rank them in my top 5 because I haven't gotten around to watching either beyond the first few episodes, but I'll try to finish them soon, and it's quite plausible they'll turn out to be better than #4 and #5.

5. So I'm a Spider, So What?: I was interested in this because I read the first few chapters of the WN (translated by blastr0n). Some of the criticisms people have of the adaptation are probably correct; there are some parts near the end where background art and to some extent clear storyboarding in battle scenes are obviously being sacrificed due to time crunch, and even just from what I've read of the WN it seems that some nuances of characterization of Shun and his friends were sacrificed for the sake of pacing. But the show's sense of humor (in the Kumoko segments) shines through, and I was fairly invested in the mysteries set up by the juxtaposition of the Kumoko segments and the Shun segments. (Yes, there's some occasional cheap misleading of the viewer, but never on the level of something like Another or, to use an example from this season, Jouran.) I normally don't like video-game elements in fantasy settings, but they work here because the characters notice how bizarre they are, and there is eventually some explanation for them.

4. Heaven's Design Team: A mildly funny show full of weird animal facts. Relaxing, but also has the "wait, what animal will this turn out to be?" mystery element to keep it engaging. There's also some interesting ideas about the creative process in here, I think. It feels too...slight to rank higher, though; as I said, it's only mildly funny.

3. Re: Zero season 2: Aside from One Piece, this is probably the ongoing work of Japanese fiction I'm most invested in the overall narrative of. It's only number 3 on this list because of its overreliance on long and often somewhat vague speeches.

2: Jujutsu Kaisen: I've written about why the manga is great before. The anime is faithful, well-paced, well-animated, and has funny omakes. It's good.

1: Odd Taxi: It's funny how I always seem to have more to say about my number 5 show than my number 1 show. Partly this is probably a matter of using up energy writing about my number 5, but partly it's because writing about something really good (or really bad, for that matter) is harder for me than writing about something interestingly flawed. Fortunately, Odd Taxi's greatness is widely recognized enough that other posters in this thread have already written about why it's good.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

So, when are we getting the terrible anime thread? Because looking over the good makes me ready to talk about the bad, even if I feel like I could say more about Odd Tax, and Eva, and Dynazenon...

Yeah. Lot of good.

I was wondering too. I have a big rant ready to go about Battle Game in 5 Seconds and JORAN THE PRINCESS OF SNOW AND BLOOD, mostly the latter. (I love how Crunchyroll writes the title in all caps with no colon like that.) I was worried the worst-of thread had been cancelled to avoid those heated which-terrible-show-that-neither-of-us-have-watched-is-more-morally-repugnant debates.