Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just a reminder:

Strange Quark posted:

:siren: YOUR VOTE WILL ONLY COUNT IF YOU VOTE IN THE GOOGLE FORM :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
5. Heike Monogatari: A lovely adaptation of a piece of classic Japanese literature, with a lot of director Yamada's signature hallmarks.

4. Bishounen Tanteidan (Pretty Boys Detective Club): In many ways this feels like a dollar store discount version of a season of Monogatari, which makes sense given it is also written by Nisio Isin, directed by Akiyuki Shimbo, and animated at Shaft. And while it may not have been as compelling as the Monogatari series, it still has it's own unique blend of charm. Plotwise I really did enjoy the first and last arcs of the show, but felt the middle arcs were somewhat lacking. Thankfully Shimbo and Shaft brought their A-game in making the show visually gorgeous and varying up the styles across various scenes so that you were never bored during that journey, and it did payoff in the end.

3. Sonny Boy: Probably the most confusing show from last year, I think the show works well as a metaphor for growing up into adulthood and deciding both what "worlds" we create in front of us, and how to live in the "worlds" that we cannot change. It's probably not something that everyone can enjoy, but if you want a more ambiguous anime to really just ponder on and think about for a while, this is a good one.

2. Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight Movie: The followup to the TV series of the same name from a few years ago. And while it might not have a huge depth to its themes, it more than makes up for it with the sheer spectacle of the whole thing, with even more high budget, complex choreographed musical fight scenes between our characters. It does a good job of filling in some of the gaps the show left us hanging on. Definitely watch it if you enjoyed the show.

1. Odd Taxi: This is the stereotypical answer at this point, but for good reason. It's an ambitious original anime that does a lot of unique things for am anime, that really lends to it standing out, not just this year, but among all anime. And it's all tied together with a solid story, interesting characters, and a lot of conversations with more naturalistic dialogue than your typical anime. It's definitely going to be one of those shows that you see people mentioning offhandedly for years to come.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Congrats to Aoi Yuuki wining VA of the year every other year since 2015.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's almost like Arcane isn't an anime.