Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't watch a ton of anime on a timely schedule, but last year I indulged in week-to-week watching more than I usually do for some shows, and I'm glad I did, but that still leaves three shows I feel strongly about and then some also-rans.

1. Odd Taxi - A lot's already been said about it, and I imagine the word of mouth advertising for it is probably getting obnoxious at this point, but considering so many shows absolutely tripped up this year, it was really nice to watch a show that knew exactly what it was doing and executed it near perfectly. Really fun, and objectively, the best show of the year. But personally... there was a show that beat it a bit in my heart, even if its execution was way messier, and that was

2. To Your Eternity - I know the pacing of this show was off for some people, but I really enjoyed this. One of the more interesting premises I've ever seen in anime, and even though some of its settings left me confused as to how they were set-up, I spent as much time waiting to see where this would go next as I did Odd Taxi. It's sort-of scifi in its own way, and I'm a huge sucker for that, and the premise of a show being, "What if the Thing, but good," really brought me in. It's not a perfect enterprise by any measure, but I like what it aimed for the best. I hope the second season keeps delivering on the premise and also smooths out some of the rougher decisions of its first season like how it fumbled around with its last arc.

3. Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro - Goofy dumb bullshit that was a guilty pleasure. I enjoyed it.

Honorable Mention

Saw the new Aggretsuko, didn't hate it, but it does have the bad "return everything to the status quo more or less, and do all that in the final episode to boot" issues the show's been struggling with for awhile. Godzilla: Singular Point had fun aesthetic, some fun ideas, but also a lot of ideas that felt poorly explained to me and I struggled to understand at points. Still, probably the closest to a #4 of these shows. Saw some of the new Dr. Stone, it was fun. Fena, Pirate Princess was also fun as a goofy "uh okay" premise especially near the end, though it's fading more from my memory as time goes on. Still need to watch Ousama Ranking to Sonny Boy from last year before I can rate them, and Ousama Ranking can't get thrown into the poll anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU