Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
This year did not have an awful lot to offer me. My first two picks are the only anime I'd consider truly excellent from this year. The rest of the picks are lucky to be there, and Honourable Mentions is really just a list of anime I actually watched all the way through and didn't hate. I am hoping next year is better.

1. Odd Taxi
Absolutely fantastic. It's unusual to get a complete story in an anime, so I always consider that a bonus, but this was an extremely well crafted mystery. A clear winner this year for me. I'm not big into animal people, but if you avoided it for that, I recommend giving it a try.

2. Megalo Box 2
Visually stunning, compelling characters, good plot. As others have mentioned, the second half features a severely undercooked villain, but the other characters make up for it.

3. 86
86 is a teen edgelord battle mech story. If you liked Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, you'll almost definitely like this.

4. SK8
This was a very silly show that didn't feel particularly ambitious, but managed to be dumb fun the entire way.

5. Heaven's Design Team
This is low budget edu-tainment garbage, but the jokes about client work rang incredibly true for my own work, so it got lots of giggles out of me.

Honourable Mentions

Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song
A fun scifi romp, but ultimately pretty nonsensical and derivative.

Horimiya
A romcom that blazes through the initial will-they/won't-they very quickly, and then loses all direction. Feels like it could've been a lot more interesting.

Mieruko-chan
Another show that felt like it had potential. The premise is intriguing and a good balance between scary and funny. However, its regular fan service was gross, and the main plot doesn't quite make it anywhere before the show runs out of episodes.

Yuru Camp S2
I like this show but it's a screensaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU