Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Get ready for the most normie top 5 in this thread:

5) Magia Record - Season 2 - The first season ended on a super high note despite being relatively medium throughout most of it. This season was a superb continuation. It was great to see the original team get more involved. The new characters really came into their own, and each fight had at least one eye-melting sakuga shot. It's a great spin off for anyone who liked Madoka Magic. Highly recommended!

4) Megalobox 2: Nomad - Just like almost everyone else listing this, I was pretty lukewarm on season 1. It was a good romp, but nothing special. And the "animation gimmick" didn't do it for me. Then comes along THIS rear end in a top hat, and now I have to recommend Megalobox to everyone even remotely interested in anime because season 2 was such an amazing exploration of...well...everyone's character. And really, this is where the more "grainy" animation clicked for me. It meshes so well with desert setting. And the latin influence on the soundtrack was spot on. I know a lot of people weren't feeling Sakuma as a villain, but I honestly think he's one of the most believably written Zuckerberg-esk sociopathic tech bros in media. :shrug:

3) Re:Zero - Part 2 - So, overall, I rate this lower than part 1. (I am on Team Rem.) BUT, it had some of the single best episodes of anime I have ever seen (*cough*Subaru'sfamily*cough*), and this gave us #2 best girl, Echidna. Nearly everything added to the story was a slam dunk. Also, Long Shot is a banging loving OP. Too bad we only hear it like 3 times because White Fox crammed so much content into each episode!

2) Jujutsu Kaisen - gently caress HeroAca. This is how you do a loving battle shounen adaptation. No long form meandering bullshit. Get to the great characters. Get to the great fights. Let the great characters get even greater during the great fights. :getin: Also, the ending theme slaps.

TRUE Assassin 2) Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel ~Spring Song~ - gently caress you people. The last Heaven's Feel movie didn't get a fair shake because it was "released" in 2020 but was only available at the end of the year in a select few theaters with no wide release. This was one of the greatest adaptations I've ever seen and the perfect way to finish off the Heaven's Feel route. It was gorgeous and continued to prove why Ufotable are the masters of meshing CG with traditional animation.

1) Odd Taxi - Surprising no one. Best show of the year. Great characters. Great dialogue. Great mysteries. Can't wait for the movie.

Honorable Mentions:
Komi-san Can't Communicate - Super cute. Does well considering it's coming from a text heavy manga.
Attack on Titan - Final Season - I loved it. But I'm going to hold off giving this points until it is finally finally over in a few months.
Kumo desu ga, Nani ka? - The animation fell apart so hard. I really liked the show and the mystery being built up, but god, it was terrible to look at half the time. :negative:
Vivy: Flourite Eye Song - I really enjoyed this, but the ending kind of fell flat. I would probably rank it equal to Magia Record, but I'm just more invested in the Madoka setting that a one shot like this.
Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Movie - So, one of the things that secretly irks me about a lot of media revolving around relationships is that they almost universally cut off at the very convenient "happy ending." This movie asks the question, "Ok, what happens next?" and explores how stagnating in your "happy ending" can be harmful if you don't have any other goals to pursue. If you were a fan of the show, this is a direct continuation, and super highly recommended. It was a great movie,and would have made my top 5 in any year that wasn't as stacked as this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait there's a movie? Is it a sequel??

Yeah. I mention it on my write up on the last page. It’s a direct continuation focusing on the “what next?” after they get to perform their Starlight and the whole “audition” concludes.

Would’ve made top 5 if the year wasn’t so stacked. If you were a fan of the show, you’ll love the movie.

The [VeggieSubs] is probably the best version out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Allarion posted:

I'm seeing a tragic omission of idolish7 on all these lists from other communities, so who can say who is wrong or right.

I'm more worried about the lack of Nomad on everyone's lists. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tales of Woe posted:

a lot of movies don't even have english subs in time for these threads so that's not surprising

I'm still salty Heaven's Feel ~Spring Song~ got shafted by COVID and technically getting a limited theater release in 2020. It was such a good series of movies.