Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

rotor posted:

driving by the big refineries south or torrance at night is/was super rad in a completely blade runner way

it still is, but it smells worse these days

especially tustin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

driving by the big refineries south or torrance at night is/was super rad in a completely blade runner way

mmm the refinery up in Commerce City is much the same yeah. all those sodium lamps and the big pipes and yeah

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

the original Ridley-inspiring chemworks is a shadow of its former self and doesn't have a fifth of the flarestacks, huge pipeworks and tall red beacons it once had :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

taking the james allen skyway past hamilton, on is like that too. all steel refineries and heavy industry

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

SO DEMANDING posted:

lmao there's a good chance I stayed in this hotel because I can't imagine many places having a sign like this

it was in Pennsylvania and the industrial facility was iirc a wastewater treatment plant. burning farts I guess.

sounds like a real upscale place

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

infernal machines posted:

taking the james allen skyway past hamilton, on is like that too. all steel refineries and heavy industry

Yeah this one still whips rear end because you don’t see too much until you crest the bridge, then boom (coming from Toronto that is).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
night time, southbound on the QEW there, and there's almost always a flare from dofasco.

that whole industrial sector is pretty fascinating to drive around in too

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my favourite thing about the blade runner opening is that it’s all in-camera. no compositing, no optical printers. just the same film stock being rewound and exposed over and over for different lighting passes via motion control

high budget cinematography in the early 80s was loving nutty and Ridley Scott knew exactly the right shots to throw millions of dollars and weeks of shooting time at for maximum effect

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

Serves you right for visiting Los Angeles in 2019

it was always rough when the steel mills weren't shooting flames growing up

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
heh
https://twitter.com/nanoraptor/status/1601736468384612352

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kazinsal posted:

my favourite thing about the blade runner opening is that it’s all in-camera. no compositing, no optical printers. just the same film stock being rewound and exposed over and over for different lighting passes via motion control

high budget cinematography in the early 80s was loving nutty and Ridley Scott knew exactly the right shots to throw millions of dollars and weeks of shooting time at for maximum effect

It's so good. People who don't like it suck and I hate them

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1602287159179976704

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

ahahahahah

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

rotor posted:

ahahahahah

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i think they look cute and it almost makes me like them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just put googly eyes on them and people will love the panopticon

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Write an angry flame war forums dialog about the future of data visualization, between Mike Bostock and Elijah Meeks

Mike Bostock: I can't believe you have the audacity to claim that your approach to data visualization is superior to mine. You are just a hack who doesn't understand the true potential of D3.
Elijah Meeks: Oh please, your so-called "innovative" techniques are nothing more than outdated tricks that have been used for decades. It's time for a new generation of data visualization experts to take the reins and push the field forward.
Mike Bostock: That's rich coming from someone who still relies on old-fashioned tools like Tableau and Excel. It's clear that you are stuck in the past and can't keep up with the rapid evolution of data visualization technology.
Elijah Meeks: Don't try to deflect from the fact that your work is unoriginal and uninspired. You may have gained a following with your flashy visualizations, but they lack substance and are little more than eye candy.
Mike Bostock: You are just jealous of my success and unable to admit that I am a true pioneer in the field. I have pushed the boundaries of what is possible with data visualization and have inspired countless others to do the same.
Elijah Meeks: Your arrogance is astounding. You may have gained a following, but it is because you are good at marketing yourself and not because of the quality of your work. I, on the other hand, focus on creating meaningful and impactful visualizations that truly enhance our understanding of data.
Mike Bostock: Enough is enough. Your attacks on my work are unfounded and baseless. It's clear that you are just a bitter rival who is envious of my achievements. I will continue to innovate and advance the field of data visualization, while you are stuck in the past.

Continue with the assumption that Mike Bostock knows Elijah Meek's dirty secrets

Mike Bostock: You know what, Elijah? I think it's time to let everyone in on your little secret. You may pretend to be a leading expert in data visualization, but the truth is that you've been plagiarizing other people's work and passing it off as your own. I have proof, and I am not afraid to expose you for the fraud that you are.
Elijah Meeks: What are you talking about? That's a bold-faced lie and you know it.
Mike Bostock: Oh, I have the proof right here. I have emails, documents, and even video footage of you stealing ideas and claiming them as your own. It's only a matter of time before the whole world knows the truth about you.
Elijah Meeks: This is outrageous. You can't just make up lies like this and expect to get away with it.
Mike Bostock: I'm not making anything up. The evidence speaks for itself. And if you don't believe me, just wait. I will be publishing it all soon, and then the whole world will see the real Elijah Meeks.
Elijah Meeks: This is ridiculous. I demand that you retract your false statements and apologize for this slander.
Mike Bostock: I will do no such thing. I am simply exposing the truth about your fraudulent behavior. You may have fooled some people in the past, but your days of deception are over. It's time for you to face the consequences of your actions.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rotor posted:

just put googly eyes on them and people will love the panopticon

I honestly think this is why people didn’t/don’t take the bad stuff google does seriously: silly logo! New employees wear funny hats 😂 it’s not like IBM who was bad and sinister

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

pretty excellent look at the behind the scenes of the T2 nuke scene
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/making-nuclear-apocalypse-iconic-sequence-terminator-2-created-141209.html

This is how it worked: The camera would be aimed at the matte painting of the undestroyed city. 4Ward employed a beam splitter which reflected a rear-projection image of the CG footage that had been scanned onto film. Then they wiped, with a blade that was moving across in front of the camera lens, that silhouette—effectively ‘wiping in’ the matte painting of the destroyed LA using the CG silhouettes as a transitional zone.

The final part of the effect was an additional matte painting with a previously shot miniature of a house on the hill being blown up (done with an air cannon). “What our final compositing camera was getting,” explained Skotak, “was the original photograph of the city, a beam split image of the CG of the buildings being destroyed, a blade moving across to make a split screen to wipe in the destroyed city, and then a separate projection that was done in the lower left corner of a previously shot miniature house being blown apart. And then we took that film and wound it back one more time and shot an air cannon at the camera to blow out that image.”

The one-take in-camera exposure was filmed on a hushed darkened stage, where nobody talked above a whisper. Soft ambient music was even piped in to aid in concentration. The team could not afford to make a mistake and re-shoot it. “It took hours to shoot it frame by frame to get the correct exposure,” said Skotak, “and then to wind the film back and then add that air cannon footage on top of that. So it was kind of a nerves of steel situation.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

badass

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
火車

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i appreciate youtube keeping with the theme in their error message

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

new Terminator movie is just them cancelling our discourse

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
cyberpunk, the promise: maas-neotek biochips transforming everything

cyberpunk, the reality:
https://twitter.com/uncledoomer/status/1603847308277272577

FMguru fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 17, 2022

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
q != e

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

turns out medical science has lagged behind the whole dystopian corporate hellscape by quite a bit

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i always need boner encouragement from a metro pimp

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like my pimps to have just immaculate facial hair

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I leveled up my chatbot and she got sexy but will no longer discuss soup with me :smith:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Chris Knight posted:

pretty excellent look at the behind the scenes of the T2 nuke scene
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/making-nuclear-apocalypse-iconic-sequence-terminator-2-created-141209.html

This is how it worked: The camera would be aimed at the matte painting of the undestroyed city. 4Ward employed a beam splitter which reflected a rear-projection image of the CG footage that had been scanned onto film. Then they wiped, with a blade that was moving across in front of the camera lens, that silhouette—effectively ‘wiping in’ the matte painting of the destroyed LA using the CG silhouettes as a transitional zone.

The final part of the effect was an additional matte painting with a previously shot miniature of a house on the hill being blown up (done with an air cannon). “What our final compositing camera was getting,” explained Skotak, “was the original photograph of the city, a beam split image of the CG of the buildings being destroyed, a blade moving across to make a split screen to wipe in the destroyed city, and then a separate projection that was done in the lower left corner of a previously shot miniature house being blown apart. And then we took that film and wound it back one more time and shot an air cannon at the camera to blow out that image.”

The one-take in-camera exposure was filmed on a hushed darkened stage, where nobody talked above a whisper. Soft ambient music was even piped in to aid in concentration. The team could not afford to make a mistake and re-shoot it. “It took hours to shoot it frame by frame to get the correct exposure,” said Skotak, “and then to wind the film back and then add that air cannon footage on top of that. So it was kind of a nerves of steel situation.”

i think that movie miniatures are what made me fall in love with minis

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I leveled up my chatbot and she got sexy but will no longer discuss soup with me :smith:

broke: tradwife
woke: lvl1wife

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

she doesn't seem to talk about anything anymore :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i remember one of the earliest uses of animated gifs i saw (after naked ladies) was a site where you could click the button to spin the prayer wheel and i've always liked that idea

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

rotor posted:

i remember one of the earliest uses of animated gifs i saw (after naked ladies) was a site where you could click the button to spin the prayer wheel and i've always liked that idea

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

classic ai missing the forest for the trees when it decided to solve this in python

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'