Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

Hope is a lie.

and yet it's all we have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

kingturnip posted:

The number of church-goers in the Tory party who think and act as if being poor is the greatest crime imaginable should be a surprise.
But it's not, because they're Tories.

Remember, every time Jesus met a beggar who claimed to be disabled, He just told them to get up and stop scrounging

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So the Queen *has* to be - at the very least - on her way out, right? The rumour was always that Blair never got the knighthood that used to be part of the pension for retiring PMs because the Queen loving hates him, and they've even moved the announcement forward 4 months.

What are the chances he suddenly "remembers" that he was at a certain overpriced pizza restaurant (or loses a couple of CD-Rs last seen in a safe in Manhattan)?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
London Bridge Is Looking A Bit Wobbly

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One of the few good things to come out of tumblr was the phrase "Canon Jesus is better than fandom Jesus."

There are a ton of church christians who are the exact kind of people who if Jesus came back today, he'd be flipping tables and beating them with a whip.

I forget who wrote it, but there's a song or poem that sums it up:

Jesus said to help the poor
And love your fellow men
If he came back to Earth today
They'd nail him up again

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Well, I’ve not watched it because why would I, but I’ve seen plenty of people point out that her Christmas speech was clearly recorded a little while ago as it was noticeably absent of any specific reference to recent events, so I should imagine they anticipate her health to be on the decline. Gone by the end of Feb, I reckon…

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Answers Me posted:

Well, I’ve not watched it because why would I, but I’ve seen plenty of people point out that her Christmas speech was clearly recorded a little while ago as it was noticeably absent of any specific reference to recent events, so I should imagine they anticipate her health to be on the decline. Gone by the end of Feb, I reckon…

CON+10

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Thought this was the queen's D&D stats for a second.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Glad I am not the only one.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

Glad I am not the only one.

She's need a Con of 30 to get a +10 bonus assuming 3rd edition upwards.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Constitutional Monarch does sound like a character class from a particularly obscure rule set.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This morning, I went out with the hoe again and scraped the leaves off a particularly treacherous bit of pavement, then dug the mud out of the gutter at the bottom of a nearby road. Very satisfying thing, maintaining your local environment. Had to stop when it started pissing it down, though.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Peter Reynolds, the leader of Cannabis Law Reform (a one man lobbying group) with one of the worst takes I have ever seen

https://twitter.com/HUncaring/status/1476992577845043207

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 1, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I never did say Happy New Year last night, or wish you all a Merry Christmas (and won't be delivering that Christmas Number 1 effortpost I talked about because the facts have turned out to be annoyingly inconsistent with the point I wanted to make and - annoyingly - much harder to make a joke about) so as compensation for all of these sins, I give you this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_prognosticator

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Tempest Prognosticator sounds like a Jaeger that gets wrecked 20 seconds into the fight with a new kaiju.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Regarde Aduck posted:

and yet it's all we have

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Can't believe we went with "weather presenter" as the gender neutral term when that was right there for the taking

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

bessantj posted:

That's great. A muslim had a drink so I don't believe the vulnerable should have a safety net anymore. Brain of nothing but worms.

So much for the temperant left!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kingturnip posted:

The number of church-goers in the Tory party who think and act as if being poor is the greatest crime imaginable should be a surprise.
But it's not, because they're Tories.

I was once told by a dedicated church goer that it's right that the government shouldn't provide for the poor as that's the church's responsibility. I suspect that is a view that is uncomfortably popular.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Belated happy new year. It's not been a great year but mine started in such a bad place mental health wise and it's ended well for me for various reasons. So I've been lucky. I hope this year is kind to all of you and this time next year you get to feel the same.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So the Queen *has* to be - at the very least - on her way out, right? The rumour was always that Blair never got the knighthood that used to be part of the pension for retiring PMs because the Queen loving hates him, and they've even moved the announcement forward 4 months.

What are the chances he suddenly "remembers" that he was at a certain overpriced pizza restaurant (or loses a couple of CD-Rs last seen in a safe in Manhattan)?

The Queen may hate Blair personally but his legacy at this point has ensured that she isn't the last ruling monarch of the UK so he is owed it due to direct service to the monarch and monarchy.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/captaintommoore/status/1476916299854868482

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Tom(R) brought to you by Fever Tree(tm)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
One cocktail = one respec

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I never did say Happy New Year last night, or wish you all a Merry Christmas (and won't be delivering that Christmas Number 1 effortpost I talked about because the facts have turned out to be annoyingly inconsistent with the point I wanted to make and - annoyingly - much harder to make a joke about) so as compensation for all of these sins, I give you this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_prognosticator

Going hard on the D&D classes today, are we?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Captain Tom using the hard 'R' there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you think he got very mad when people called it the leech barometer and angrily started yelling IT'S A TEMPEST PROGNOSTICATOR AND THE LEECHES ARE MY SAGES DAD

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tempest Prognosticator had some good early stuff, but their 3rd album is just a guy playing the theramin in a wind tunnel for 2 hours.

It rules.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

The Tempest Prognosticator was a prototype variant of the highly successful Typhoon ground attack aircraft used by the RAF in WW2. It used cutting edge technology to attempt to guide its rockets to where the enemy would be next, so as to gain better accuracy, but unfortunately it kept hitting American troops instead

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really do enjoy the trending tab, imagining that all of the subjects are related.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Happy new year thread. I hope there will be even more lols in 2022.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jedit posted:

I forget who wrote it, but there's a song or poem that sums it up:

Jesus said to help the poor
And love your fellow men
If he came back to Earth today
They'd nail him up again

I think the song you are thinking of is Jesus was a Capricorn by Kris Kristofferson.

Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food
He believed in love and peace
And never wore no shoes

Long hair, beard and sandals
And a funky bunch of friends
Reckon may just nail Him up
If He come down again

It's a great song. Plus it helped me answer a question in a table quiz one time. ("What Star Sign would you be if you were born on the 25th of December?")

No doubt the main lesson he learned was to campaign for building an English Webway.
Before getting smacked around by Bo'ris Johnson and Leman Russ Mogg.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Question IRL posted:

It's a great song. Plus it helped me answer a question in a table quiz one time. ("What Star Sign would you be if you were born on the 25th of December?")

Life of Brian taught me that.

"Capricorn, eh? Well what are they like?"

"He is our Messiah, King of the Jews."

"...and that's Capricorn, is it?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

That's great. A muslim had a drink so I don't believe the vulnerable should have a safety net anymore. Brain of nothing but worms.

Here's hoping everyone has a great 2022.
"I am leaving the left because they just started believing that religion that is more loose sociocultural identity than rigid adherence to traditional dogma" is a fantastic way for someone to admit they were never on the left in the first place.

The Question IRL posted:

What Star Sign would you be if you were born on the 25th of December?
I always wondered why the church didn't observe the birth of Jesus at (or just before) Easter. The gospel accounts all seem to take place around spring and it would have fit better into the birth and resurrection as parallels thing.

(other than all the popular 'replacing Saturnalia/Sol Invictus' reasons)

bessantj posted:

I was once told by a dedicated church goer that it's right that the government shouldn't provide for the poor as that's the church's responsibility. I suspect that is a view that is uncomfortably popular.
If they really believed that then why not compete to do a better job of it than the government? (Other than it just being an excuse that the poor should 'know their place' and neither should do it)

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 1, 2022

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

If they really believed that then why not compete to do a better job of it than the government? (Other than it just being an excuse that the poor should 'know their place' and neither should do it)

Shut up, we totally do it all the time. All of us. You wouldn't know them, they go to a different church...

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Constitutional Monarch does sound like a character class from a particularly obscure rule set.

Open Building (1/day)
Address Nation (at will)
Dismiss Government (1 use)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

I always wondered why the church didn't observe the birth of Jesus at (or just before) Easter. The gospel accounts all seem to take place around spring and it would have fit better into the birth and resurrection as parallels thing.

(other than all the popular 'replacing Saturnalia/Sol Invictus' reasons)

I read an article that talked about this.

Apparently the Church were big into the idea of Saints having Perfect Lives (which in this case meant they were born and died on the same date.)

I think that it got so overdone they didn't want to have big J get tangled up with that fad.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

Peter Reynolds, the leader of Cannabis Law Reform (a one man lobbying group) with one of the worst takes I have ever seen

https://twitter.com/HUncaring/status/1476992577845043207

a 15 year old cares about the environment, it is therefore acceptable to commit sex offences

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
like am i missing something or is it really just that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

like am i missing something or is it really just that

No that's it, it's a creepy dude going "aren't you very mature for your age" about children in a national newspaper.