Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The IP is owned by a separate company (I won't link to the Daily Heil article), Club Nook, that appears to be owned by the family. Make of it what you will that the IP isn't owned by the charitable foundation.

edit: terrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Also to be a charity you just have to not pay out profits; the people running the charity can pay themselves whatever they like as wages.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's going to be a foundation like Help for Heroes where the mysterious category of "miscellaneous expenses" somehow accounts for 95% of their income

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1477357890432339971

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

The IP is owned by a separate company (I won't link to the Daily Heil article), Club Nook, that appears to be owned by the family.
That loving raccoon has his fingers in everything.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's almost sad that it's impossible for these ghouls to think of any plan to help people that doesn't involve some waster getting filthy rich for doing a poo poo job

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

kingturnip posted:

It's almost sad that it's impossible for these ghouls to think of any plan to help people that doesn't involve some waster getting filthy rich for doing a poo poo job

it probably won't go past the throw a few million quid at a "study" before quietly forgetting it all, if it even goes that far

the task isn't to find actual solutions to a problem but to simply generate headlines so it looks like they are doing a thing

next up, the blockchain will be used to clamp down on benefits payments AND stop migrants crossing the channel using custom NFT's and a bespoke... something or other

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What if the predators use dogs to scare off the drones?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

What if the predators use dogs to scare off the drones?

Introduce xenomorphs as an invasive species to keep the Predator population down

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Also to be a charity you just have to not pay out profits; the people running the charity can pay themselves whatever they like as wages.

While this is true at a base level it's complicated as gently caress to get charity status and run a charity once you have it. The vast majority of people working in the sector do it as at least somewhat a labour of love.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
NB This poll was 'red wall' that went tory in 2019 only.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1477398022065688583?s=20

Zalakwe posted:

While this is true at a base level it's complicated as gently caress to get charity status and run a charity once you have it. The vast majority of people working in the sector do it as at least somewhat a labour of love.

As someone who works for a small local charity I concur!
We have just three employees, all of us part-time and the FTE salary of the Chief Exec is under £30k
(I'm not sure exactly what it is as I only see the pro-ratad net when it turns up in Xero but a reverse calc based on her hours and without knowing how much NEST / tax code etc comes up to something around £27-£29k). We're all doing substantially over our paid hours and there's no overtime or 'time off in lieu' available.
Fortunately, as you know, I love doing spreadsheets and attempting to bend Salesforce to my will.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 2, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

It would be funny if they calibrated the algorithm according to the most common sexual assaulters and now white boomers would be followed from pub to home by drones, which would then stay on watch behind the bedroom window.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

I find all the sir Tom stuff pretty distasteful too, but isn’t all the merch raising money for his foundation? The gin certainly is, although I’ve got no idea how the money is split.

Massive salaries for the directors perhaps?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hang on, are we supposed to be flagging down buses or drones? I just can't keep up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sufferingnatsci/status/1477359108462362625

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

All you need to do is phone the police and say "Hi I'm a vulnerable woman and I'll be at home all on my own at 123 Acacia Avenue all night".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nenonen posted:

It would be funny if they calibrated the algorithm according to the most common sexual assaulters and now white boomers would be followed from pub to home by drones, which would then stay on watch behind the bedroom window.

That would be great but we all know they'd design the algorithm to hone in on someone else.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

so they're ChukTigTaf now?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All you need to do is phone the police and say "Hi I'm a vulnerable woman and I'll be at home all on my own at 123 Acacia Avenue all night".

I would say 22 Acacia Avenue and then they wouldn't come because they'd know Eddie was there to look after me. (Ps I'm not Charlotte)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 2, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Now the Met can harass and stalk women from afar yay!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Introduce xenomorphs as an invasive species to keep the Predator population down

You joke, but the end of that train of thought I "get loads of Ripley in Power Loaders on every street at night."

And honestly, that probably would make women safer.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I would say 22 Acacia Avenue and then they wouldn't come because they'd know Eddie was there to look after me. (Ps I'm not Charlotte)

Typical police, spying on a harlot and ignoring the murders in the Rue Morgue.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

Typical police, spying on a harlot and ignoring the murders in the Rue Morgue.

Weren't those a trained chimpanzee or something though? Or am I confusing it with something else? (Doh! My brain went down a totally different track then!)

On further investigation, it was an Orang Utang. Now I wonder if The Librarian would get IDd and arrested by the cops just for being orange.

Honest, Hofficer, I am not under the influence... my brain doesn't need psychoactive ingredients to spin off in wild directions.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 2, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We do not talk about the orangutan!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Is that the first rule of Book Club?
We do not talk about the Librarian?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is that the first rule of Book Club?
We do not talk about the Librarian?
It's from this: (along with Satan is not a loving pogo stick!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oo err missus!
So was Pratchett doing a racism when he made the librarian an orangutan?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

It's from this: (along with Satan is not a loving pogo stick!)

That is amazing. Thank you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oo err missus!
So was Pratchett doing a racism when he made the librarian an orangutan?
It'll probably be hotly debated at underwater Pratchett conferences in 100 years time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/KiwiEV/status/1477390523182714881

Heard you were talking poo poo about orangutans

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We're saved! Keith might take over!

https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1477395359890649091

:toot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like the sidebar. "The Conservatives have delivered improvements in quality of life and employment, but we can't do the green new deal stuff because people are barely making ends meet and can't afford their gas bills, anyway we need to focus on people's priorities rather than what we think they want, so more controls on immigration."

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Fuckin' hell. No more neophiliac tech boondoggles please. Simpler and cheaper to offer (or make available for collection at nightclubs etc.) every woman who felt she might be in this position; a very powerful torch*, a gently caress-off loud alarm and an aluminium baseball bat. Maybe a taser.

* a friend once escaped a stop by a motorcycle cop by zapping him with the mecablitz flash gun he had with him as the orificer stuck his head in his car window. Something bright enough to do that.

The Question IRL posted:

You joke, but the end of that train of thought I "get loads of Ripley in Power Loaders on every street at night."

And honestly, that probably would make women safer.

Totally up for armed female self-defence groups. Some kind of Panthers.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Dr_FarrisD/status/1477400829426647044

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

They will never actually have drones follow people or whatever, if anything it'll be just another way to funnel money from the public purse to Tory donor's pockets which then goes back to the Tory party again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

They will never actually have drones follow people or whatever, if anything it'll be just another way to funnel money from the public purse to Tory donor's pockets which then goes back to the Tory party again.

Following on from Nenonen's post, if this scheme gets approved, a Met Police officer will 100% use the drone to sexually harass someone. If not something worse.

And Priti Patel will use the drone to 'prove' the person isn't entitled to stay in the country.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Be at peace, citizen. The drone is there for your protection. Friend computer would never hurt you. It is not tangled in your hair. An officer will be dispatched shortly to relieve you of your scalp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Flying drones in a city, on unplanned routes, at night, out of line of sight, over uninvolved members of the public, is such a safety and regulatory nightmare that I can't imagine how anyone would ever get permission for it without specific legislation.

If the UK follows the new EASA rules or similar for UAS it'd require a named operator who has qualified on the special "certified" license, the full rules for which are not yet published but based on the old system it'll be expensive and time consuming to achieve and require regular logged flights and maintenance to stay current on. Possibly you'd be able to get blanket approval for limited missions following a specific flight profile, but unless vulnerable women stick to preapproved routes you'd need each flight planned and signed off, seeking permission from the aviation authority beforehand.

The whole idea would be laughable except that it's the cops so I guess the law doesn't really matter and they'll hand over the controls to whoever fancies a shot.