Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

It's from this: (along with Satan is not a loving pogo stick!)

That is amazing. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gonzo McFee posted:

Soon people will be selling NFT's of my good posts and they will be the official currency

Like he said, there’s a scarcity.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kingturnip posted:

Part of me wonders what life would be like for the Gina Millers of the world if they couldn't find someone to shill for, and they had to get a real job.
But then, that's why they have to shill so hard when they find someone willing to give them money, isn't it? That gnawing understanding that they're utterly unemployable by any reasonable standard.

Gina Miller has actually accomplished quite a lot. Your criticism may be broadly true but I don’t think it is in this instance.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

my civ2 sessions prob contribute to that but i just really want to stick it to that shithead xerxes :mad:

You really need to migrate to Civ 5. I haven’t gotten into Civ 6.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TACD posted:

It really is fascinating watching the whole party attempt to become a completely featureless blob of perfectly median opinions and feelings

God forbid they say anything of principle that might offend a potential voter somewhere.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’d happily go to an Arctic Monkeys concert with Gordon, seeing as we are both such fans.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scikar posted:

Firstly, if a company thinks you are being too greedy, you don't want to do work for them anyway if you can afford to walk away. It's just not worth it. Secondly, this seems to surprise a lot of people but in the corporate world it's usually the opposite - if you're a consultant and you're asked to quote for some work and come back way lower than they were expecting, they assume you're cheap because you're not very good. Thirdly, whether or not your relative can justify the cost is irrelevant anyway. What matters is how much the work is worth to that company.

I can only offer more tech examples because that's what I do, but suppose a company asks me to fix a problem that currently costs them £1m every day that it's broken. I know I can fix it in 5 minutes. If I ask for £100k to do the work in one day, are they going to refuse because it's greedy to expect £100k for one day's work? No, they're going to snap my hand off because they instantly save vastly more. Even if they know it's only going to take me 5 minutes.

From a negotiation standpoint, it's much better to let the other side offer a number first anyway. Though in this case the company maybe doesn't have a clear idea themselves either.

This is all good except for the advice about making the first offer. I believe that most negotiating advice says that it is better to open.

HopperUK posted:

I saw a good blog once for calculating how much you should charge for art. It boils down to - imagine you are doing this full-time. How much would you need to live the life you want to live? Yearly? Work out what that boils down to hourly. Then charge a hefty whack on top of that because you also pay for supplies, and also for all the art you did BEFORE this, that wasn't sold, that is the reason you can do this art now. And that's just for selling to private customers. To a company? Rinse em.

Totally agree. 15 days at 8 hours a day is 120 hours. For a skilled artist you are talking about an hourly rate of £100, so closer to £12k would be my opening.

Tarnop posted:

Using FedEx to mean Roger Federa but also Tom Hanks in Castaway was a FedEx delivery guy who got stranded on a deserted island and talked to a volleyball with a face drawn on it to stay sane

Wasn't it a basketball? Nope, just checked. You were right. I was sure it was a basketball.

Also, there have been 400 posts since I last read the thread. hosed if I am going to read them all. Anything important?

therattle fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 7, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Maybe, and it depends exactly on the work and the company, but as Scikar posted, there is a real thing with perceived value: price yourself too low and you are often perceived as being poor quality.

As for the hourly rate, a lawyer will charge £300+/hr; an artist should charge a decent amount too. They have training, skill, and talent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah i dunno. but the fact they used the person before for art and have come back for more and arent offering any help in pricing coupled with the knowledge that said artist is really wary of charging much suggests theyre hoping for a cheap deal.

I'm not saying thats good or right but saying 10 grand or whatever is almost certainly going to make them baulk.

I really hope someone that knows whats what weighs in cos I'd like to know the answer too.

Sure, and there are ways of introducing the price that allows for negotiation if it is more than they were expecting, but if it is done in such a way that it leaves the door open/doesn't frighten the horses, then start high. Detailing how much work, materials and expertise/experience/training goes into it would help. if they dsay no way, we can't afford more than £4k and she is willing to do it for that, fine, but she is still better off than going in at £2k.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The £100 number was something of a thumb-suck, but it’s related to what a number of professionals charge (and is a lot less). Maybe £75 is more reasonable, maybe £120 is, but the point remains: ask for a lot because: i) skill and talent deserve it; and ii) you don’t ask you don’t get, and a company will be paying this out of what may be a hefty marketing budget.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

who even says its marketing though?

What else could it be, directly or indirectly? And if it isn’t marketing it’s still a company. Take what you can.

Also:

https://twitter.com/josefoshea/status/1479103886367420424?s=21

therattle fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 8, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I mentioned this a few weeks ago and the consensus was that it was part of an effort to use plain language, and that most people found nothing objectionable about it. I was sort-of persuaded in that I think that my objection to it is probably irrational now, but it nevertheless persists.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yeah I'm being completely irrational but it still annoys me for some reason I can't quite place

Because it's infantilising.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

fuctifino posted:

100% this. But saying that, Boris should have resigned a long time ago, and he hasn't. He has no shame, and everything to gain by retaining power. He has no qualms about removing the whips off of anyone, even old Tory grandees, for daring to defy him, so I can easily see him ejecting the loudest voices from the 1922 committee. And to be honest, I wouldn't put it past him to attempt to pull some Reichstag event and implement some of the dormant emergency security laws to cling onto power.

He really has no shame, and no moral compass, but has the ego the size of a planet and the emotional maturity of his son Wilfred.

I don't expect this war to be over soon.

https://twitter.com/af16051107/status/1481716873939070976

Totally agree. I think the longer he clings in the worse it is for the Tories though

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are we being too hasty here? To say that this isn't actually what work should be like? Us all pissed up, the boss looking in and being fine whatever about it?

Like maybe he really didnt realise he was at a "party" as such.

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

stev posted:

Quick slip her another ten grand.

She just have been shocked, just shocked, to learn that serial liar and hangers on might have withheld the full truth.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

jiggerypokery posted:

I bet it's dope. He spent more on "a bit of wallpaper and some drapes" than my entire house cost

I bet it’s hideous. Money =/= taste.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

If we are doing weird smells, the asda in middlesbrough is built next to a big industrial estate that has:

1. the onion bhaji factory, I don't know if they actually make onion bhajis but whatever it is there is a very powerful smell of fried onions at certain times of day which I find difficult to tell apart from the smell of gas sometimes.
2. the drift track, so on thursdays there is a constant sound of screaming rubber and a faint smell of burning.
3. as of late, the biogas waste processing facility, so the entire place smells like a sewer during the summer when the wind is right.
4. sometimes people do big shits in the shop and hide it under the shelves, and sometimes also someone drops a case of beer and it gets under the racking and then the whole place smells like a particularly horrible pub.

middlesbrough is an exciting land of myriad sensory experiences.

What??!!!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

the mythical selfridge poo poo squad.

(Cl)rear end warfare.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Tpaine has done the honorable thing and taken Fox out by kissing him on the open mouth, he must recieve the thread's blessing. Shout "Stay safe Tpaine" into your nearest router and recite the litany against Nurgle to save are brave boy.

I was going to accuse him of being Fox. But now my hilarious joke is ruined.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I thought the coincidence was funny but in all seriousness I do not want anyone - especially goon friends - to get covid, get long covid or die from Covid. I may not agree with everything you have posted but seriously, get well soon my dude, I need people to challenge my dickhead opinions with well reasoned and researched posts.

I want Fox and his ilk to get Covid and have either long Covid or die. I make no apologies for that. They are responsible for others’ deaths.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I cannot believe how many gambling ads there are on TV.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jel Shaker posted:

crypto crypto crypto

i would say this would be one of those things that kids in the future will look back on and be lol how did anyone fall for that, but almost with a circular logic, crypto collapse would probably be due to a economic implosion of the whole economy

I don’t understand. Can you clarify please?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jel Shaker posted:

we’re in the everything bubble now, so all the ponzis are going to collapse all at once like in albania , but on a global scale

Ok. Still not entirely sure how that’s connected to lots of gambling ads on TV, but maybe I’m being slow.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

Except without the Horlicks, since as was previously mentioned she is a type 1 diabetic.

She could have Horlicks as long as she had an appropriate amount of insulin for the carbs therein.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/Pandamoanimum/status/1488289749752291331?t=RZhc25OwUHjYCpd3cYrD2w&s=09

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

Therattle is right though. From what you've said in the past your approach to diabetes management hasn't changed much since the 1980s. That might work for you and you may not feel like there's much reason to change, but a lot of poo poo has happened in the meantime. While it always pays to be cautious I doubt anyone would begrudge someone a cup of cocoa or horlicks or whatever in the evening, and there's no reason someone wouldn't be able to incorporate that safely with a bit of self-experimentation.

Actually, I think I agree with Jedit; I’d be wary of a big whack of carbs before bedtime, even with suitable insulin an a CGR that alerted highs and lows. That said, if it was part of a routine and they had the dosage locked then it would probably be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

I'd say it's changed quite a lot considering I wasn't diagnosed until 1998. Be that as it may, though, can you see May choosing to change her routine?

I think this is something we can all agree on.