Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Angepain posted:

is the queen dead yet

Not yet

soon

endlessmonotony posted:

Hope is a lie.

Live by the harmless untruths that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

An epistemically innocent belief remains irrational notwithstanding its potential benefits. But also remains beneficial notwithstanding its potential irrationality.

Yeah, basically

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

That year was a real shitshow personally, spent half of it in jammies because I was so sick. No reason to think this year will be better but nonetheless I will trudge ahead with grim determination nevertheless. If the world sucks and life is suffering then every day we endure is a victory over creation.

Happy New Year!!

Sincerely hope 2022 is kinder to you, comrade.

You won't be trudging alone regardless :glomp:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

Y'all, it's still 2021 here in Texas... how is 2022 so far? 2021 and 2020 were real kicks in the balls, respectively, and I want to get a jump on preparing for a 2022 shitshow.

The Mayans got it wrong, we are ascending

Failed Imagineer posted:

In this new year I'd just like to echo a wise man who once said:

Troot

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

and yet it's all we have

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

EmptyVessel posted:

A compelling argument to reopen the bone mills and use of human teeth in dentures.
https://medium.com/study-of-history/the-bones-of-waterloo-a3beb35254a3

Also:
Hope is a very useful lie as it gives the individual a reason to continue persevering.

Illustration: In between all the madness last year was a fantastically good one for me. It was the first time in over 10 years that I and my two children were all in the same place (reasons too long and too like a very bad soap-opera to detail). Last time I saw them both they were 4 and 7, they are now 15 and nearly 18 so a massive adjustment in my relationship with them needed but so far it's going amazingly and it has dramatically improved my mental state beyond anything I could have imagined.
Without the irrational hope that "things always get better eventually" that I clung to I would have very likely simply ended myself. Even with it I came very close at several points.

I can't remember which anarchist poet it was but his line (I paraphrase) " Of course the Ideal is unattainable, but still striving for it is required if things are to improve at all" also neatly makes the point.

Utopia está en el horizonte. Me acerco dos pasos, ella se aleja dos pasos. Camino diez pasos y el horizonte se corre diez pasos más allá. Por mucho que yo camine, nunca la alcanzaré. Para que sirve la utopia? Para eso sirve: para caminar.

(Utopia is at the horizon. I walk two steps, she distances herself two steps. I walk ten more, and the horizon runs other ten further away. As much as I walk, I'll never reach it. What utopia is for? It is for this reason: to walk.)
- Eduardo Galeano

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

Thank you for that quote, it resonates to me. :)

You're very welcome :unsmith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Orangutans are the greatest animals on earth

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you just want something fat and hairy with only rudimentary intelligence to sit around your house while you pay for all the food I can be there tomorrow.

Come on, now, that's not fair

Orangutans have way more than merely 'rudimentary' intelligence

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

NFTs are utterly mind boggling to me

Like, at least you can use crypto to buy drugs

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Speaking of, it's been more or less exactly ten years I've been posting in these threads

Thanks for helping me see how terrible this country is, comrades, I was a self-satisfied 'why can't everyone just get along' liberal in 2011 and now I'm, well, *gestures downwards*

Anyway, pouring one out for the posters who posted then but don't post now

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I cry at the strictly come dancing
And I hope a minority wins
I make sure each piece of my rubbish
Goes into the right colour bins
But my drones said you went to a protest
And that's why I'm turning you in

So love me, love me, love me, I'm not anti-woke

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

1965917 posted:

"Attlee, Wilson and Blair made Britain a better country."

Channeling Blair energy? Christ.

Also, Brown does not exist apparently.

https://twitter.com/huffpostuk/status/1478275923199807488

lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

I've been on this train, very big and comfy. Had a car that was decked out like a 50s diner, selling this brown caramelised cheese on a waffle. Had another car that was a soft play area where you could dump your kids. 10 out of 10.

European countries are so much better than us in every way and it's maddening

I was watching Geowizard's trip across europe series over the last week or so. Everything is so clean, everything works so well, the trains are awesome, everyone is so nice and friendly and cool, all the food and drink is cheap and amazing, etc., etc.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I don't understand why anyone would use anything other than Plex if they're trying to stream media at home.

feedmegin posted:

Having lived there, offer Very Much Not Valid in Norway :P

Honestly that'd be fine by me if they weren't such narcs about weed and all the other Good Drugs

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

So they've just announced that you no longer need a negative Covid test to enter the UK.

This loving government, man. They're running really low on tests, so they literally juat seize upon the first idea that comes into one of their heads and say 'yeah, let's just do that.'

What difference does it make? This is Plague Island

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Italy's covid rules also led to this story.

Italian man tries to dodge Covid vaccine with fake arm https://jrnl.ie/5619489

Like part of me is amazed at how people are willing to go to such lengths over just getting a vaccine.
Like I know your brain is broken but surely it's easier (and cheaper) to get the vaccine for real as opposed to trying to commit fraud.

Them again I felt a similar way when people earlier in the thread were talking about getting Plexes, VPN's and sharing systems to download movies and TV's as opposed to just getting a subscription to Netflix.

Netflix costs money, and to have decent access to most things needs at least two extra services as well.

Plex costs nothing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Oh I get the frustration at how some series that were once on Netflix (particularly when they were the only game in town) being moved to another service. And I understand people not wanting to pay for multiple services.

It's just when I hear people talk about setting up their own personal servers and "all" it requires are a portable hard drive linked onto a network, a VPN, maybe some cables, a way of streaming it onto your TV etc...I just tap out.

I just don't have the time or effort to go through all that. I'll just pay for Netflix or Disney Plus and use that. And if they thing just isn't on any platform and it won't be out for ages, I will "get my cousin in the States to record it and ship me the VHS tape" and stick it on a USB on the TV.
But that's more of a once off thing. Setting up my own media server and trying to maintain it looks like way to much work and hassle to justify it.
Just like the hassle in getting black market vaccine Certs as opposed to, you know, getting the vaccine.

It's really easy if you know what you're doing, and only mildly difficult if you don't.

I mean, it really doesn't matter, I guess I just find it weird that you thought it was the nearest comparison to a guy using a fake arm to avoid getting vaccinated, which is genuine hilarious looney tunes rube goldberg poo poo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Butternubs posted:

I don't agree with 99% of the reasons I've heard against getting vaccinated but you can cut people some slack when it comes to not trusting what this government is telling you to do.

Even now I'm not certain they haven't hosed it up in some way, buying dodgy ingredients off some tory donor, buying used needles off the Saudis in exchange for nukes etc.

I don't trust the government at all, about anything, including covid.

I do trust the NHS.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Me too but

am white.

oh yeah, absolutely, I'm absolutely speaking from a privileged position and was speaking purely personally/with regard to the gammon brigade

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

Why? The NHS has hosed up quite a lot during the last couple years.

Respect for the workers but the organisation is hosed

Of course, and I don't necessarily trust them on a lot of stuff. For example, I think that in terms of mental health the NHS isn't just desperately underprovisioned, I also think that it massively overuses SSRIs as first line pharmaceutical treatments when there are other meds with similar or better efficacy and much better side effects. It's dumb and archaic and has caused me all sorts of trouble. But I still have some residual trust in the NHS regardless.

Whereas I wouldn't trust the government if they told me water was wet

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lower Decks is best Trek of 21st century, unless you wanna count those weird YT edits where Data explores perverted art

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Kin posted:

Discovery sucks because all of the characters have this breathy niceness about them and being super nice to eachother all the time. There's no underlying conflict between any of the cast that isn't directly related to whatever plot is happening at the minute and as such they're all boring 2D cutouts disguised by that flashy cinematic overproduced look you mentioned.

The current season is an arc about some giant black hole machine that's ripping apart galaxies yet, for most of the characters it's like they know they're in a TV show and it'll be taken care of in a few weeks.

If this was allowed to be referenced on Lower Decks it would be taking the piss out of how shite Discovery is.

Discovery started out as 9/11 neocon Cheney-energy Trek and now it's 2016 neolib Hillary-energy Trek

Both versions suck absolute poo poo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

What's the missing piece that moves from "not bad person" to "bad person"?

"I know him/her personally" usually

(and I am as guilty of this as anyone else, for the record)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gort posted:

The COVID numbers over the last three days have been loving awful. Two or three hundred dead a day (when it was averaging about a hundred before Christmas) and the number of infected is worse than it has ever been

Yup.

Hold tight goons

use FFP2 masks or respirators

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

This is loving insane

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of, I've finally got round to getting Red Dead Redemption 2 (I absolutely refuse to pay >£30 for a video game and I realise how ridiculous a position that is). It's been exactly the escape from the 21st century and all it's... stuff that I was looking for, sometimes I was just going for long rides on my horse to drink in the scenery.

Then out of nowhere (spoilers because even though it's a two year old game I'm willing to bet quite a lot of people will have picked it up in the Steam Sale over Christmas) I start coughing then suddenly collapse, spitting up blood, in the middle of the street, to get told that I'm gonna die of a highly infectious respiratory illness. RDR2 came out in November 2019 and frankly I'm beginning to think this whole covid thing might have been guerilla marketing that's got completely out of hand..

(Also am I being a bad trans ally because I called my horse My Lovely Horse? It asked me to name the horse and what the gently caress do I know about naming horses? I was 15 before I saw a horse that didn't have a copper on the back of it. Anyway that was the only name that came to mind and now I'm actually quite attached to it.)

Hell yes, what a game

It likewise got me through all the horrible poo poo of November-March 2020-2021, it's the perfect non-21st century hell simulator

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

TACD posted:

Yea I don’t know how it is for anybody else but my GP’s online access portal (which I realise is a rare luxury in itself) hasn’t had any availability even for phone appointments for several months now – I haven’t tried calling as my thing isn’t that urgent but I assume if I did they’d just tell me the same thing.

My partner is long overdue for bloodwork for a thyroid issue which is more urgent but similarly can’t get through to her surgery at all.

As far as I can tell there is effectively no access whatsoever to non-emergency healthcare at the moment and for the foreseeable future?

There may also be no access to emergency healthcare either, depending on where you are in the country, at least for the next few weeks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

*extremely funny Borat voice* My wife

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Johnson's lovely parties either, I'd rather they put some proper public health measures in place back in February and then spent the subsequent year licking doorknobs and spitting in one anothers' mouths.

As it is, people are being distracted from the fact that the government did gently caress all about an epidemic other than profiteering with a message of "daddy Boris had fun while you weren't allowed to, boo, better ignore all future public health measures."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Nah, we've been learning the same lessons from roughly the same time as Trummu got in (Brexit), it's just getting worse now

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Andrew telling his driver to avoid all tunnels, for the love of god

Nah, Brenda would never do him like that, he's her favourite

She'll do it herself

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

stev posted:

“No, Andy. I ain’t mad. I never been mad, an’ I ain’t now. That’s a thing I want ya to know.”

How my hair look, Mother?

You look good, boy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm too burned out and stressed at this point to feel even a modicum of joy at seeing Boris get hosed over

I'm actually quite sad about it, I always thought I'd feel something, but nope, I look inside and all I hear is the wind whistling through

Even jokerfication has let me down

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

I find it comforting to think that, for all our doomering about the world being in danger because of politics and climate change and killer viruses etc, it really isn't. We are, but the world will adapt and will get on just as it ever did. New species will evolve and crawl around the crumbling remains of our civilisation, the sun will rise, the waves will crash into the shores, nature will heal, and all of humanity will be a tiny footnote in the history of the earth.

Go check out the biosphere collapse thread in CSPAM lol

because that, uh, is not exactly guaranteed

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

You know what, I don't think I will!

:hai:

No Dignity posted:

Not to understate the threat or global warming but you ever think those people are a little too invested in the idea of complete global apocalypse?

I'm not sure, though I'm sure I'd like them to be

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

lol do not do this. There are enjoyable threads in CSPAM but the doomerism stuff is way too much

Yeah, to be clear, no-one needs to avail themselves of what's in that thread, and in hindsight I'm sorry about bringing it up

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

What about sending an associate to measure the shadow on a building of known height a certain time while you measure another one a known distance away at the same time? You could keep in contact to know it's at the same minute.

How? Via phones? Phones are part of the elite conspiracy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I do wonder how much a small dose of antipsychotics slipped into a drink would change a flat-earther's views.

I mean, not at all? They're not psychotic, they're just emotionally driven to believe stupid things (just like everyone else)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

The evidenced medical treatment for Morgellons (delusional parasitosis) are antipsychotics. Some of these conspiracists almost certainly have the same pathology.

Well, ok, some, maybe?

But I'd wager that most of them are just various mixtures of scared, sad, lonely, antisocial, narcissistic, etc. Human beings are capable of believing all kinds of really, deeply stupid and irrational poo poo while not being medically psychotic. It's pretty much our thing, in fact

E beaten by FI, but yea