Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bessantj posted:

That's great. A muslim had a drink so I don't believe the vulnerable should have a safety net anymore. Brain of nothing but worms.

Here's hoping everyone has a great 2022.

The number of church-goers in the Tory party who think and act as if being poor is the greatest crime imaginable should be a surprise.
But it's not, because they're Tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's almost sad that it's impossible for these ghouls to think of any plan to help people that doesn't involve some waster getting filthy rich for doing a poo poo job

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

They will never actually have drones follow people or whatever, if anything it'll be just another way to funnel money from the public purse to Tory donor's pockets which then goes back to the Tory party again.

Following on from Nenonen's post, if this scheme gets approved, a Met Police officer will 100% use the drone to sexually harass someone. If not something worse.

And Priti Patel will use the drone to 'prove' the person isn't entitled to stay in the country.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Endjinneer posted:

And it's as pervy as that Sun article about Charlotte Church too.

If it's the "She's a big girl now" piece you're referring to, I'm pretty sure that was the Star.
That said, the Sun have perved over enough teenagers to be top of the shitheap

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Part of me wonders what life would be like for the Gina Millers of the world if they couldn't find someone to shill for, and they had to get a real job.
But then, that's why they have to shill so hard when they find someone willing to give them money, isn't it? That gnawing understanding that they're utterly unemployable by any reasonable standard.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, playing computer games does not inherently contribute to significant harm to other people.

[fake edit]
Unless you buy from any of the developers or publishers that have more or less institutionalised harrassment, violence or marginalisation of women, ethnic minority, or LGTBQ workers, which is [checks notes]... oh.

[actual edit]
9 is the number of Tory MPs who will back a motion calling on the government to make crypto currencies legal in the UK by the end of, ooh, let's say March.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

BalloonFish posted:

Don't all Red Wall polls have to be immediately acted on in full, to show that Labour Is In Touch With Real People? Or does that only apply if the polls say that folk want to kick out immigrants, bring back white dog poo poo and make the National Trust stop mentioning slavery and child labour?

Fortunately for Keith, Jormbly Crammel isn't currently a member of the Labour party.

Makes a lot of sense that 'Red Wall' voters poll respondents aren't apparently aware of that fact.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The main issue for the NHS is that staff who test positive have to stay at home.
Yeah, it doesn't cause serious complications as frequently as previous strains, but if the NHS is trying to deal with the same background level of serious illnesses, accidents and whatever as always, and they're trying to do so on significantly fewer available staff, that is really really bad.

Particularly because - as I've pointed out several times - this has been going on for almost 2 years at this point from a starting point where there were 50,000 nursing vacancies in the NHS. Staff are broken.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gort posted:

I had heard that the problem with the NHS wasn't literal beds and buildings, it was staff. Which is why the giant Nightingale they made out of the Excel Centre in London is back to doing conventions again - there were no staff to run it as a hospital, and the government has no interest in training or attracting more.

The 'problem' was that any patient moved to one o the Nightingale hospitals had to be accompanied by a nurse from the hospital they were being transferred from.
Given that on a typical ward, one nurse can be in charge of 7-8 patients (I think it's supposed to be less, but, eh, staffing shortages), you can see why very few patients ended up being transferred to the Nightingales.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've said this before but half the problem is that they recruit everyone management upwards from business schools, which tailor everyone's mindset to maximise profit by cutting corners, reducing budgets and competing with other departments as if they were rival companies.

It's genuinely harder to find a Band 3 admin/support person who's good at their job and willing to stay on a poo poo salary than it is to find a half-decent manager for a Band 8 post.
Because Band 8 salaries are good and Band 3 salaries are poo poo.

Our current (non-clinical) service manager is a bit of a tool.
He shows little understanding of what most of the clinicians in the service actually do, where they do it, or what they need in order to be able to do it.
He wanders around the department without a mask on, when most people will either wear a mask all the time, or at the very least put one on if they're leaving their office to go talk to someone else.

My favourite was in summer 2020 when he sent an email round to everyone saying that if we weren't all fully up-to-date with statutory and mandatory training, that our working from home privileges would be revoked. At a time when the Trust - and the government - were saying people should work from home wherever possible, and when most of the statutory and mandatory training wasn't available because they were figuring out how to run it remotely.
:ughh:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Another reason a craftsperson charges £100 per hour is because they're unlikely to be working full-time and the money they charge has to pay for the time they're not working.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm poo poo at X4:Foundations, but I bet I'd set up a space empire better than Elon would

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lady Demelza posted:

Yes, TERFs claimed that TP would be GC and his daughter said he wouldn't be, and lots of readers pointed out characters like Cheery Littlebottom which were written in a way that implied he was a trans-ally.

There was some impressively convoluted thinking involved in suggesting "maybe we should ignore all the subtext, allegory, references, matter-of-public-record internet posting and explicit theming within the books to consider the possibility that Pterry was opposed to trans* identities".
Also "nah, there's no chance his daughter knew what he was like as a person, so you should trust my opinion as a journalist".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The actual suggestion was that it was Carrie kicking up a stink, since I doubt Boris gives much of a poo poo what the place looks like as long as he's got somewhere to eat, poo poo and do his custard binbag thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Labour is dead; here is why I, someone who basically never votes Labour, think you should never vote Labour

Um, cheers, Rafael Behr

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My local TOC has had a look at the number of passengers on its' routes and decided to take an axe to the number of services. But in true TOC fashion, they've apparently decided not to bother with actually looking at the data to make informed decisions about which services to cut.
So my usual early morning train is now one of several plague carts, because the usual cunts can't be bothered wearing face masks and apparently my TOC were unaware that every train between 5:30 and 7:00 was reasonably full anyway.

In that respect, I suppose it's just as well they're running 38-year old rolling stock, since these trains are so completely knackered that you don't even need to have the windows open to get fresh air, given the number of holes in the chassis.
There's also - for those of you wondering - no evidence that they're sending cleaning crews onto the trains between legs, because who even cares about this whole corvid thing anyway?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm not sure that Labour have fully explored the options involved in getting bung money donations from private health companies yet.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wes is, of course, entirely correct on this.
If we made Tory MPs stand up in defense of the Prime Minister we'd force them to say things in a public arena that could then be used to criticise them in future.
This, of course, is entirely wrong, because [decorum].

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Eyes pymp

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, the backbenchers need to make sure he's been slapped with the blame for:

- Covid
- Brexit
- Andy Murray's inevitable early exit from the Australian Open
- the collapse of the NHS
- the collapse of schools
- the collapse of [rolls dice] prisons
- the Ashes
- inflation caused by Brexit and the unavailability of perishable goods
- the trains not running
- the trains running, but being more expensive
- cuts to the BBC
- the Queen dying
- Emma Raducanu's semi-final defeat
- every river in the UK being filled with raw sewage and the banks being coated with poop tomatoes
- a child dying of e-coli after eating a poop tomato
- muslims
- black people

There's probably a point where they think they've ticked enough points on their bingo cards to kick him out, but it doesn't feel like "now" is quite the right time.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
That's alarmingly believable

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm [glad] that wearing a face mask in public is no longer required, because my train in the morning is [certainly not packed every single day], so giving the conscientious souls who take the train to work the opportunity to [breathe 'fresh' air] would be [novel] and in no way contribute to me having an increased chance of catching covid-19.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Trout Mask Replica is one of those albums I'm only very rarely in the mood to listen to.
On balance, I like it, but I haven't been someone to sit down and just listen to music for 20 years or so, and that feels like the sort of thing you need to do with TMR.

I probably need to buy more Beefheart, though, 'cos I really like Safe as Milk

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's the women who look like his mother and also find custard binbags sexually attractive.

The list isn't as long as some people would have you believe, but the combination of those fetishes seems to provide an astonishing boost to fertility.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
As I got off the train yesterday on the way home, I felt the need to check with the driver that mask wearing is still supposed to be compulsory on trains.
It is.

Probably less than 50% of people were wearing one, though. Coverage on the Tube seems to be dropping pretty quickly, too.
It's a good job that covid is all over, otherwise there might be the chance of people getting sick if they're not wearing a mask in overcrowded conditions.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, Duffield getting re-elected would need students to come out in force and campaign for someone they despise.
I assume her 'meeting' is to persuade the party to find her a safe seat to get parachuted into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This isn't a crime, but we're going to treat it like a crime because :flegs: