Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Premiership footballers are less than 50% vaccinated - and are definitely selfish and dumb as poo poo, on average.

(Interestingly Italian players are almost 100% vaccinated but then the Italian government has been much more robust in pushing the vaccines and is apparently about to actually go into full "Yeah you don't leave the house if you're not vaccinated" mode)

FWIW this isn't true - 92% of players and staff have had at least 1 vaccine, and 84% are on "the vaccination journey" (whatever that means). There's a few clubs that have publicly said are fully vaccinated (Liverpool being one of them, who are currently having a mass covid outbreak sigh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I was born a Tesco man and I will die a Tesco man

There has been a Lidl open up the same distance to me but every time I've been there the queues have been massive so gently caress that noise.

Jab is perfectly normal and has been used for ages though? Like my mum was a nurse and always referred to getting jabs etc. when I was a kid.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I've been trying to wind people up by calling a negative LFT result "neggers"

Can you follow up by calling positive results "Possy wossy"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

There's no chance that there's enough Tories outraged by this (and I use that word liberally, lol if you think politicians up and down the country weren't flagrantly flaunting the rules) to force a VONC.

There's no reason for Boris to resign based on this alone - he'd be leaving in disgrace and there's only one thing he cares more about than pumping out kids and that's his reputation.

The only way he leaves is if they wait for Omnicron dies down (and there's nothing worse following it) and he quietly steps down so someone can take over post-Covid.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Again I don't for a moment think that we're going to see the end of Boris because of a loving party scandal, but it's quite clear from his responses today that he's seen the Gray report will say it was technically allowed and therefore it's all okay. He apologised (that people were offended) which was what the Tory backbenchers were asking him to do. There'll be no 1922 vote.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Notably there have only been people who already said he should go have come out and said he should stay.

Nobody has said anything in support of him

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't understand flat earth people, what is the motive? Who cares? To what nefarious ends would we be being lied to? Why are you going to such lengths to make this theory a thing despite the mountain of evidence against it? Why is this even a thing? What's the best case endgame? Ok so you proved the world is flat, what of it? How does that make a difference to anything in most people's lives? What are you hoping to achieve?

My partner gets a real kick out of flat earthed poo poo but I find it incredibly boring because it feels like the laziest conspiracy theory for the sake of conspiracy theory poo poo, at least QAnoners and 9/11 truthers and, hell, even people saying Avril Lavigne was replaced are trying to say something about systems of power and control and class.

I cannot emphasise enough how hilariously, obviously sus Glasgow is when it comes to property developers getting inexplicably lucky on the back of completely random fires.

For a lot of people it is literally that they just want to be the only person who knows, because that means that they might have some sort of power or feel superior to their peers. I grew up kind of obsessed with the conspiracy theory stuff (9/11 being an inside job was definitely one of those, though I managed to somehow completely swerve all the antisemitism that seems to surround that and instead funnel it into the teenage anti-establishment) and a lot of talk on the forums and in the IRC chatrooms was how people's friends/families/coworkers were so blind to the real truth.

Within those circles you then build up notoriety if you have that one key bit of evidence everyone else has missed. You get followers and worshipers, and hell even "enemies" (perceived or real) to rail against. Maybe you say that the end goal is to shine a light on the whole thing and expose the people you think are wrong, but in reality that's never going to happen. But you'll get a bunch of people saying you're right and at the end of the day that's what people want.

So basically, people like to be told they're right, particularly if it's not the "mainstream" view so they get to be smug about it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Wakes before the funeral is something the scouse side of my family does and it always seemed weird and awkward to me. I'm quite glad we haven't kept that tradition.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I posted about it when it happened but my dad died in Spain in 2020 (before the pandemic kicked in) and it was a nightmare. Spain have weird rules and iirc will only release the body and death certificate to the funeral home, but our insurance company wouldn't arrange a funeral home until they had the death certificate, which meant we spent two days sat in a hotel in Granada waiting for one side to give in to the other side. Fortunately, the British Embassy was very helpful and did some translation for us when my GCSE Spanish failed to translate "no you morons we need the certificate first".

He then had to be flown back to the UK (after we had left Spain) and taken to the funeral home we had arranged, so it was like 2 weeks before we had a funeral.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Blast Your Own Beans

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

It's notable how quiet Gove (and Sunak to be fair) have been over the last few weeks. Truss has been all over the place on TV and radio batting for him, but all we've heard from Gove is a few snippets here and there.

Suspect both are positioning themselves as opponents to Boris, Truss is positioning herself as the Johnson continuity government.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Do we get to see a dramatic crossing the floor in PMQs today then

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

keep punching joe posted:

Are the numbers there for all of the 2019 tories to defect to Labour, bring down the government, and force a GE?

No, losing all 48 would just about bring the Tories below half (322) but with the NI parties they'd be able to rule as a minority again.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol loving hell last election I ruined my shoes campaigning against that twat and now they've just let him join the party.

Yeah my first thought was "who was the Labour candidate this twat beat"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Wakeford won by .8% of the vote so it could very well be that he thinks his best chances of winning next time are switching to Labour.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

keep punching joe posted:

Wait are they not allowed to mention the Royal Family in Parliament? What the heck?

I believe not, it's due to all the performative bullshit about it being a separate institution to the monarchy

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I noticed they're still talking about the 14 new hospitals. Has anyone seen one yet?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

FWIW now would be a great time for a by-election for a defector. There's a public opposition to the government, he's jumped a sinking ship, and he gets to say "well I represented you previously but I can't stand behind Boris any more" in what should be a Labour gain seat.

If anything Labour should be pushing for one to show they can beat the Tories again.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I was a call center for an insurance company and fortunately only worked service so just doing renewals/cancellations/changes. It was all inbound and people were generally just calling up to pay something they already needed so not much aggro.

Then about a year in they came up with an idea of getting the service people trained on outbound sales (and vice versa) and I got the gently caress out of there ASAP.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I'm sorry I can't get past the fact that the guy filming this is apparently wearing a TV... as a helmet?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Downing Street spokesman has said that the parts that are not under investigation by the police can be released early, so we will absolutely have "PROBE CLEARS BORIS JOHNSON OF HAVING PARTIES" within a week or two, and then very quietly "Boris Johnson was wrong to hold parties" in a year after everyone has moved on.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

The Met have told Sue Gray that her report shouldn't reference anything they're investigating.

So the whole "Gray's report will exonerate Boris of any wrongdoing, only for the Met to quietly confirm wrongdoing years later" thing will absolutely be true.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

There'll be a brief hit to the Tory numbers in the polls but there's 2 years until another election and nobody will give a poo poo when Russia is rampaging through Europe and there's 100 miles of queues to get to Dover.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

The rules matter, the problem is that the rules are that Boris doesn't leave unless he wants to or enough of his own party hate him. The Opposition being Very Upset means absolutely nothing because they spent 4 years sabotaging Corbyn at every turn and handed the Tories a massive majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

So just to be clear: you can't call the PM a liar after a report says he's a liar, using evidence from the report to confirm that the PM lied.

But you can call the opposition a bunch of druggies.