Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Happy New Year all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lower Decks is best Trek of 21st century, unless you wanna count those weird YT edits where Data explores perverted art

I've never consumed much of Star Trek but I'm going to have to insist that those YT edits are canon.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Not to excuse Labour but it is very rare that a left splinter group actually works to push the Overton window to their favour. This isn't just an issue with FPTP either. Ireland has PBP and Solidarity but neither get much traction with the wide media. While they have a few seats, they nationally poll within MOE.

The only way that I can envision a left splinter group push their view into mainstream is during massive time of upheaval. Still, even historically, it hasn't taken in most cases. Mostly quashed by the media class or direct intervention by USA/UK/et al.

I don't think Corbyn setting up his party is a bad thing and I would potentially support it depending on other groups in my constituency. Wouldn't get my hopes up though.

Jedit posted:

You're not understanding. The Labour right do not need to win to get what they want, because what they want is to get on the post-political gravy train.

This is also a significant point. Labour right benefit off of capitalist institutions and have no reason to consider attacking them, even in false promises to win votes.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

The SNP tracking left to steal Labour's dinner seemed to only have the effect of making Scottish Labour double down on it's Blairite awfulness. Even when they had a nominally 'left' leader, the party as a whole undermined him and pushed him out. Probably what happens when all of our left wing grassroots head out the exit, leaving your party as a hollowed out husk of Jackie Baillie and George Foulkes types.

I think a significant issue here is Scottish Labour could not present a left-leaning unionist argument and were prevented/didn't want to support a nationalist position. The former is probably because left-wing unionism will always co-opt the arguments of the right-wing unionist, which means nationalists will not trust it.

Scottish Labour are snookered in their position right now and I cannot see them recovering except in extraordinary circumstances.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

But enough about Labour.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Isn't the issue with many smaller left-wing UK parties that they are horrifically transphobic?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Also the larger ones too OP

Oh yeah of course. Meant more that it's difficult to move to a smaller party for solidarity when they are just as transphobic as the larger ones.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Another factor that my partner's mother, who is a funeral director in England, cites is that there's just less funeral homes and more people who need to be buried in general. This creates a bit of a backlog. Compare that to Ireland where nearly every town has a pub/funeral home combo.

I've said to my partner now I'm living here to not even bother putting me through the system if I die and just send me back to Ireland. Regardless of cause, it is unreasonably long to expect a family to wait 3 weeks to a month to bury someone. I just find it disrespectful to the deceased to wait that long, but that's the Irish in me I guess.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They're not going anywhere.

That's... Not the point? The deceased is more often than not a person that someone cared for, was friends with, a family member, ect. Having them locked in a fridge for weeks on end is not respectful for their life and not respectful for the people who want to put their loved one to rest.

Obviously, there are going to be instances where funerals have to be delayed for inquires or due to backlogs caused by international pandemics. However, these longer periods between death and burial should be an exception and not the rule.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

More like Christian WOKEford!!!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

This lad Jonathan Gullis, venerable MP for Stoke-on-Trent, on Channel4 News actually just called him "Christian Wokeford" while in the middle of a Trump-style free association rap about immigrants and Talking Down Britane. You love to see it

Skull Servant posted:

More like Christian WOKEford!!!

Maybe there are people lurking the thread :tinfoil:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Mebh posted:

England?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Convex posted:

This is literally the stupidest thing that's ever happened in uk politics tbqh

Only since the last thing that's happened in UK politics.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

While I believe that class solidarity should come before anything else I know that it isn't the case in day-to-day life because that isn't how the actual world operates.

I should be in solidarity with all members of the working class, but I'm not going to put aside differences in regards to homophobia/transphobia, racism, and anti-vax/COVID denialist thought. If someone loses their position due to these stances, I will care little for them because it is never a situation where they are instantly fired for these beliefs. There is always a process where their position becomes untenable. The exception here is in the media industry who will cut sooner rather than later, especially if the individual is not an A-list star. Still, most involved at this level wouldn't exactly qualify as working class.

The ruling and bourgeois classes reinforce these dangerous views more than any other group and they will not let someone go for these views unless they have to under threat of legal action or because they see a media circus forming if they let them remain in their position. Because of this, there is bountiful time for the individual to educate themselves, and they have likely been engaged with by those they disagree with. Those who realize the damage they are doing to society will change and better themselves. The ones who are fired are those who do not want to, or are at this time incapable of, changing.

Specifically with regards to anti-vax statements, there is little reason for someone to have reasonable doubts about it in 2022. The last three years have shown that COVID kills, vulnerable or not, and incapacitates a decent amount when it doesn't kill. We can also see that vaccines have had no measurable negative impact on the global population, outside of side-effects with the same rate of impacting you as a packet of paracetamol can suddenly inflame the liver and send you to hospital. Additionally, we can see that those who are vaccinated and especially those who are boosted are less likely to die or get seriously ill and very less likely to feel much of the impact that COVID imparts.

Of course there are reasonable reasons for certain groups of people to avoid the vaccination, but let's be real here. None of the people with actual legitimate concerns are the loudest voices against the vaccine. I'm going on a limb here but I can confidently say, without any research, that this actor was not a member of a community who was impacted by doctors giving false or misleading information.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Gambling advertisement is one of the two biggest things I noticed moving from Ireland to here (the other is how odd it is that alcohol is placed in the middle of the shop and not as far away from the door as possible, which has been regulation in Ireland for a while now).

There's so many gambling adverts. On the street, on buses, on TV, online... It really is everywhere and feels especially scummy and predatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

He's really just going to post through it and defend himself by calling Starmer a oval office.

Honestly? It'll probably work.