Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean this is all wrong but whatever.

It's not all wrong, he did catch Covid on the flight home. The return flight was on the 5th or 6th January, and he was hospitalised for pneumonia and testing positive for Covid by mid-late Janaury. If he didn't catch it during the flight, then he somehow caught it during the two-week quarantine period that was in force at the time for returning travellers.

Going on holiday was a daft thing to do if he was aiming for longevity but maybe that wasn't his priority. At age 100 you already know that you only have a few grains in the hourglass left.

His family are still shameless grifters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hang on, are we supposed to be flagging down buses or drones? I just can't keep up.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I would say 22 Acacia Avenue and then they wouldn't come because they'd know Eddie was there to look after me. (Ps I'm not Charlotte)

Typical police, spying on a harlot and ignoring the murders in the Rue Morgue.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Didn't you? We usually had something like, "This week draw a train" or "Draw something that shows you know what perspective is" or whatever

I was and still am terrible at art (thank you, lack of depth perception) but the homework was generally something I could do. Once we had to make a crowd scene using heads cut from magazines and newspapers, and there was a significant number of people in the class who could not grasp the concept of putting small heads at the back, larger heads at the front, and making sure there were no obvious gaps where the paper showed.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

* NFT bros and libertarians never admit they're scamming people, but making money out of anything like that requires a certain level of duplicity.

Hmmm I have a colleague who seems genuinely convinced by NFTs, to the extent of flying out to a conference on NFTs/crypto and trying to our workplace (library/museum) it needs to get onto this bandwaggon with images from our collections. His reasoning made no sense when he explained it, and I've since realised that this is because the whole NFT thing makes no sense, rather than me being a poor student.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing to think how long Bitcoin has been around. There was a Skeptic's Guide to the Universe feature on it in 2013, and it wasn't brand new then. A decade online feels longer than a decade in the real world.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm beyond two weeks of a cold that I can't shake. Every Covid test I've done is negative. There's so much congestion in my chest and nose that I have to rest after climbing the stairs and time eating/drinking with the need to breathe through my mouth. The only thing that can rouse me from the 10 hours sleep I need each night is periodically waking up boiling hot and sweating buckets.

Back at work tomorrow, coming to a customer service desk near you!

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Crypto-twitter heard me, and have just reminded everyone that today is the 13th anniversary of the Genesis Block, the first Bitcoin block, mined by Satoshi Nakamoto on the 3rd of January, 2009.

Everyone book your tickets to Miami for the Bitcoin Conference 2022 in April.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Have you done a PCR test?

Yep. PCR, LFT (including throat swab) and spit tests have all come back negative. I even took a photo of the LFT and zoomed in to double check there wasn't a faint line that might have been missed.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 3, 2022

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There was [is?] a concrete ship at the Waterways Museum in Gloucester. For years, the accumulated puddles, litter and occasional dead seagull fooled me into thinking it was just dumped there, but apparently it was [is?] an exhibit.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Start was an excellent cereal.

Frosted Shreddies and Curiously Cinnamon somehow still available despite being full of sugar.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
People were right with the 'face nappies' slogan: it's designed to keep crap from spreading and if it's disposable, you wear it once and throw it away, and if it's cloth, you wash it and reuse. But no, somehow that was not what they took away from the conversation.

To quote myself from a few pages back, ten years ago seems a very long time, and I'm watching the Hillsborough Disaster programme Anne on ITV and hadn't realised it's been almost a decade since she died.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

deano posted:

was there a not a recent bit about TP who iirc cowrote with gaiman and trans issues? JK Rowfan get in thebin please.
The previous quoted idiot is who i mean every mention of jk just ARGGGGGGG utter trash human.

Yes, TERFs claimed that TP would be GC and his daughter said he wouldn't be, and lots of readers pointed out characters like Cheery Littlebottom which were written in a way that implied he was a trans-ally.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
John Lewis is the poshest shop I go to because everything else round here is a pound shop or Home Bargains.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Depressingly, I really don't think all the celebrities and politicians who were friends with child sex offenders were out of step with the views of the population at the time. In the 1990s, when paedophile Sidney Cooke was up for parole for killing a 14 year old in 1985, the victim was still being referred to as a 'rent boy' in the tabloids. In 2007 NME published an article about a new Marc Bolan documentary under the headline "Huge Rock Star lost his virginity aged nine". They weren't outsiders in the music press, as Classic Rock had matter-of-factly printed that Bolan was a 15 year old rent boy before his band hit it big. And, much to my shame, in the 90s I used to watch trashy US chat shows in my lunch break, like Sally Jessy Raphael and Jenny Jones, and they would frequently feature 'out of control teens' who would be booed and hissed as the audience was told they were sexually active and were made to have a pregnancy test.

Nobody complained! There was no outrage! The public accepted describing children as prostitutes and blaming them for their situations. It is horrifying to look back at how much child sexual exploitation was openly reported and how complacent people were. If you read that NME article and didn't go "WTF, this is describing a 9 year old boy being raped" then congratulations, you were part of the problem. It's no wonder the victims didn't come forward sooner and it's no wonder the powerful thought they could get away with their behaviour.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Two things that would help the NHS are more GP funding so that people aren't putting off minor complaints until they reach the A&E stage, and more social care funding so that people can be discharged safely. It's no good hiring the army to drive ambulances (on their day off from driving HGVs?) when the bottleneck is with admission into A&E.

At least the vaccination programme is slowing down now, which means healthcare staff should be going back to their substantive posts

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
HopperUK for new political party leader. This is clearly the only way to solve everyone's problems.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno was she 17 when she was in England? Who knows what the age of consent is on a private paedo island, you'd imagine they'd set it quite low.

I've heard this argument in real life and the answer is that you can't take someone across a border to a jurisdiction with a lower age of consent in order to have sex with them. So you couldn't fly a 14 year old from Britain to Italy for sex even though that's the age of consent there. Giuffre wasn't paying her own airfare at 17, so when Epstein/Maxwell brought her to the UK with the intention of having her 'massage' those wealthy, powerful middle-aged men, she was being trafficked.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I am in real life!

Pics or you aren't happening :colbert:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
James Slack left for a job at The Sun? Oh gosh I wonder why the (print) media hasn't been keen to report on the many millions of parties. The most difficult part of Johnson leaving No.10 will be trying to find a replacement who wasn't at one of them or didn't know about them. Who honestly believes that ther is a single Tory MP who didn't know that hundreds of people attended dozens of parties? But if anything does for Boris, it'll be the photo of the Queen sitting alone at the funeral. People who don't give a toss about strangers dying alone in a hospital where the staff had to wear bin bags bloody love the Queen.

Nuclear chat: the threat isn't from warheads, it is and always has been from improperly handled civilian nuclear waste. In the last 40 years there's been an impressive number of hospitals killing patients by miscalibrating radiation therapy equipment and then disposing of said radioactive equipment by using it to build roads and houses.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure the new corporate channel will be equally committed to programmes for and about disabled people/in Gaelic or Welsh/with a regional focus. They will definitely provide skilled live BSL translators when the Government schedules important announcements but forgets deaf people exist.

And don't forget this is coming off the back of the Channel 4 ownership change. If people won't watch GB News by choice then the government will remove that choice.

The BBC has 5 years to create a subscription package that allows access to its back catalogue, assuming it can get the rights back off Dave. There will definitley be gammons willing to pay a subscription to get their fix of Porridge and Only Fools and Horses. Want to see the glory of days of Top Gear? Subscribe. Every Dr Who episode that survives? Subscribe. Kids' programmes on an endless loop? Subscribe.

It's going to be interesting to see all the different ways they'll screw it up.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think the last collaborative issue-based storyline Eastenders did was the coercive control/domestic violence one where Chantelle was eventually murdered by her husband?

I also think it's very sweet that people think Youtube isn't going to fully move to a subscription service evetually. It already has that option. And all 15 people who like watching videos of men making model railways in their sheds and ignore the Jordan Peterson videos will happily pay for it whilst arguing this is completely different from the BBC licence.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My friend's mother-in-law is bipolar, and when she's having an episode, she descends into word salad. There's no Power of Attorny so my friend drives the MiL to various places and stands in the background watching as various cashiers and receptionists are treated to this wild stream of consciousness. The last one was the bank, whose insistance on speaking to the account holder alone lasted about 3 minutes, during which the answer to "did you make these purchases" went shopping ---> the cash and carry ---> her neice Carrie (who has a pet dog) ----> dogs.

Edit: Thatcher's voice didn't sound like Thatcher originally - she lowered it and slowed it down to sound more authoritative.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
GB News has signed up 13 comedians alongside the regular hosts of their newspaper review programme Headliners:

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/01/21/50022/revealed-the-comedians-signed-up-to-gb-news?rss

quote:

Headliners has three alternating hosts: Mark Dolan, Simon Evans and Dominic Frisby.

And now confirmed as the rotating panel of comedians offering comments on the next day’s headlines are: Steve N Allen, Rhona Cameron, Nick Dixon, Andrew Doyle, Josh Howie, Leo Kearse, Sajeela Kershi, Erich McElroy, Diane Spencer and Ian Stone.

I don't really follow comedy so it's not surprising that I don't think I recognise any names. Are they well known?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A quick stalk of IMDB shows she's been more active as a bit-part actress than a comedian for the last decade or so.

Apparently she was on I'm A Celeb in her heyday and didn't come over well, so maybe that killed off her comedy gigs.

Edit: Rhona Cameron, I mean.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Are Irish pensions millions of Euros or something? How long did they think they could keep that scheme going?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

He hasn't had a kid with every possible woman in the country yet.

Oh bloody hell. How are we doing this, going through alphabetically by surname, or will we be summoned to the nearest fridge next time Johnson is in the region?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I work near a pizza factory (supermarket packaged ones, not delishious fresh authentic pizzas available to buy) and the only time we can smell it is when something has burned. Which is almost weekly, by the smell of things.

Nothing will put you off ready made foods quicker than seeing the workforce who make it picking their nose on their fag break.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

My eldest niece's English textbook (she's German) was all about the Isle of Dogs, featuring Dear Deidre style photostories about a group of kids having drama and hanging around at Mudchute farm and the Asda and Cutty Sark. As a former Mudchute resident I found it totally hilarious. Thousands of German kids earnestly learning about the DLR, the opening hours of the farm, and so on. Sehr komisch!

Don't spoil the illusion, I'm convinced La Rochelle is full of teenagers telling each other their name and age.

Edit: university students don't get their rooms in the holidays usually. Even if they did, it soesn't mean Accommodation told Estates, which which is how you get situations like this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52493405

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 23, 2022

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jel Shaker posted:

one weird trick to a monster free bedroom

Not true for anyone owned by a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The right's adoption of it seems to have driven 'snowflake' as an insult to extinction. Much like the right's climate change denial has driven actual snow flakes to extinction.