Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Thought this was the queen's D&D stats for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I never did say Happy New Year last night, or wish you all a Merry Christmas (and won't be delivering that Christmas Number 1 effortpost I talked about because the facts have turned out to be annoyingly inconsistent with the point I wanted to make and - annoyingly - much harder to make a joke about) so as compensation for all of these sins, I give you this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_prognosticator

Going hard on the D&D classes today, are we?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Day 9 here, symptoms totally gone, but still pretty positive on test. The missus has no sense of taste left tho which is a bit :smith:

Mine took an extra week to come back after all the other symptoms were gone, so hopefully it'll be short for your partner as well instead of super long covid

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I wanted to do a praxis and also stuff my face by making non kellogs rice crispy squares, and the most popular recipe calls for "tablespoons" of butter.

How the gently caress do you measure butter in a tablespoon???

This is a safe space, you don't need to pretend you've never shoved a tablesoon into a tub of butter.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I only buy margerine and it doesn't taste any different to me :colbert:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Butter is probably the first food where the Vegan alternative has outdone the original. Olive spreads are better than either butter or margarine now.

This is correct, I refer to olive spreads as margarine because I can't be hosed explaining it to most people and its easier. I also refer to it as butter around my household, probably mostly to annoy twisto.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I'm telling you just get olive spreads, they keep for like a million years compared to butter.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sanford posted:

Just wanted to make a little post about my painfully-centrist sister because I think the thread will enjoy it. My little girl was talking about the differences between boys and girls, children and grown ups. She was talking about beards and willies (I have both and she needed to make sure everyone knew) and asked if she can have a beard when she’s older. My sister said no, I said yes, my dad said “you can probably have a willy as well if you like.”

Now my sister isn’t talking to us.

Your dad seems fun, at least. Sorry about your sister being a terf?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Not quite. Musk's real importance lies in the fact that he was the first engineer to present a world in which class and wealth mattered, some characters were poor, some were rich, and not owning an electric car was a hardship, not just a cheery sentimental thing in the scenery.

Is he actually an engineer though, or does he just buy other people's businesses and let others do the work? I'm legit asking, I don't know what his credentials are beyond owning all the chaos emeralds.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

An oven ready blockchain, no less

All blockchains are oven ready because the of the heat coming off the GPUs trying to maintain them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ravel posted:

I'm about 95% sure they do drink alcohol because of previous comments in our floor group chat. But as I don't know anything about wine (and they may be doing dry January for all I know/their status might have changed), I'm going to go with the Lush gift box idea or a hamper. Cheers all.

If you're close neighbours, you can always try cooking something for them if you're any good at that. I'd love to just get a tasty meal for free. Maybe suggest getting them takeout one night if you/they would prefer?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol, imagine helping my neighbors out and they then force their awful food (and company?!?) on me. Brilliant.

Definitely not company, but food is great and free food is better.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Lots of people vote against things when it makes no difference, my question is would they be willing to actually materially hurt the leadership over it. I doubt it.

John and Dianne probably would out of spite. Zarah seems like she might, but a lot of them are basically unknowns.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Is there anything in particular wrong with Angela Rayner thread? Cos frankly she seems to be much much better at the job as labour leader then Starmer while he's been sick.

Very much soft left, emphasis on soft. For example, doesn't particularly mind academies "if they're better for students".

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

To be honest I struggled to enjoy them even though I knew doing so would irritate people here. They don't work.

I appreciate your honesty.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I am hoping, perhaps naively, that even the bravest of Are Boys might hesitate before machinegunning a refugee boat full of kids

Why? Soldiers love following orders as if it's a defence we haven't ruled out about 70 years ago.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I think the culture of the army means squaddies are often reactionary pieces of poo poo but I don't think many of them are actual SS candidates.

Or perhaps naive optimism, lol

It doesn't even have to go that far. The order just needs to come down from someone with sufficient rank to stop border crossings 'by any viable means' or some other vague bullshit that ONE officer interperts as 'it's okay to shoot' and I guarantee you that 99% of squaddies won't disobey a direct order to shoot a migrant boat. A load of them being reactionary shits might event think it's a laugh because shooting boats is much easier than a pleading person at close range and seeing the aftermath.

Anyway nothing I've seen of any army has convinced me so far that the majority of squaddies aren't reactionary idiots who will shoot at someone based on a vague order or worse, because of racism and some misguided notion that's how they protect their country.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Prole posted:

Russia looking like they're on an invasion footing on Ukrainian border. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

This has been true for at least 70+ years of not more, and I'm including the actual invasions in that.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

As if we needed more proof that the Labour party is no longer a left wing organisation.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

RockyB posted:

Currently got a fiver on Priti to be next leader of the conservative party. Hopefully someone can suggest a good refugee charity to donate the £250 to if it happens.

care4calais, surely.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

A friend is having trouble with a landlord being a piece of poo poo, lying all the time and not fixing necessary stuff in the flat like the toilet and oven. Is there anyone they can talk to about it apart from CAB?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

No acorn or renter's union near them unfortunately, but Shelter is a good shout. Cheers.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Other possibility is the local authority / council. Many councils now require landlords to be registered with them and it's quite possible that a generally lovely landlord isn't registered.

I know England is a bit different to Wales in this regard, but the flat where I used to rent, the flat above got black mould (they were away for 2 months immediately after I left so my flat wasn't heating theirs as was normally the case and they came back to black mould. The landlord threatened to evict them (this was just before covid) for daring to complain and they went to the local council only to find the landlord wasn't registered which resulted in (a) big fine to landlord £1000 and (b) woman at the estate agents - whose only role was to vet tenants not responsible for organising any maintenance - getting the sack for not checking the landlord was registered.

Nice, I'll definitely check and pass this on! Thank you.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Yes.

Inflation in Canada has just hit a 30-year high at 4.8%. Food prices have just risen 10% or more, and fuel has gone up a lot (though it was at an historic low like a year ago)... but I think from what I'm reading that the UK has it worse.

House prices and rents have gone up here also but they've been doing that forever.

At this rate it feels like the only way that house prices/rent won't keep going up is if the whole system collapses.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

It's really disappointing that this high profile resignation from someone on the left wasn't packaged along with "and you, who believe yourself among the left, should withhold your vote and dues" but it's about what I've taken as standard anymore, both in the UK and stateside. If it's really that repulsive, why not propose it be destroyed?

Because she probably doesn't believe that. As far as I can tell she only quit the NEC, not the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

I hope the peelers don't catch wind of all the poo poo I've said about captain tom on the https://www.

Cant believe we're still making Candlejack jokes in TYOO