Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Well, I’ve not watched it because why would I, but I’ve seen plenty of people point out that her Christmas speech was clearly recorded a little while ago as it was noticeably absent of any specific reference to recent events, so I should imagine they anticipate her health to be on the decline. Gone by the end of Feb, I reckon…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I'm really not buying this "people out there are really angry about this!" line. Not that this is in any way comprehensive obviously, but the main thing I've heard people say outside of politico bubbles are "sod it, if that lot aren't sticking to lockdown rules then neither am I", which is... exactly the attitude towards future restrictions that the government would want people to have...?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Polling feels pretty meaningless this far out from a general election. Even if it doesn't blow over for Johnson (and I still think it will), there's plenty of time for the Tory party to reproduce itself before polling actually counts for anything. I'm sure they'll be able to memoryhole this and parlay whatever bullshit is de rigeur at the time into another victory of some sort.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

bessantj posted:

I wonder if the queen can just make up titles "You are now the 'Dongleby of Pongleby.'"

Worked for her youngest son:

quote:

On his marriage in 1999, the prince was ennobled in keeping with tradition; however he was the first prince since the Tudors to be created an earl rather than a duke (while reserving the rank of duke for the future). The Sunday Telegraph reported that he was drawn to the Earldom of Wessex after watching the 1998 film Shakespeare in Love, in which a character with that title is played by Colin Firth.

Prior to that there hadn’t been an Earl of Wessex (or indeed a Wessex) for a thousand years.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Starmer on BBC to talk about Johnson and he’s spent half of the interview on the ropes about that photo of him allegedly breaking rules lmao. He’s so bad at this. If he didn’t sound and look so perpetually scared he’d be able to brush it off, but instead this is well on its way to being another ‘these politicians are all as bad as each other’ affair.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

I'm intrigued about the idea of counting the letters. We know that only Sir Graham Brady gets them and have to take his word that they've been received.

But when they've 'reached' 54, does he then have to prove it? Or does he just say it's at 54, vote time.

I get that he'd be stupid to make it up, because if you can't get 54 to trigger then you won't get the vote through, but even that raises another question. If the vote can only be held each 12 months, could he 'declare' early to make sure it fails?

Regarding the Hodges tweet, much as I'd love it to be true, Hodge's is full of poo poo normally, so it would be hypocritical to believe this one just because it's what I want.

Is the running tally made known to them too? I can't remember from the May one. If so, I should imagine there's a flurry towards the end, with people hedging their bets submitting only when they're sure it'll definitely go through.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Jedit posted:

No, because there's no deadline by which letters must be submitted. Once an MP puts a letter in to the 1922, it's there unless and until he withdraws it. As soon as there are sufficient letters, a leadership contest is triggered.

If I were a Tory I would submit a letter as soon as every new leader is elected and just leave it hanging there as a big dick power move. Opt out rather than opt in.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Unsure what to make of this. Obviously the grimness of StarmerLabour being a welcome place for 'reformed Tories' speaks for itself, but on the other hand, if this is some sort of bellweather for THE RED WALL pivoting to 'the Tories have betrayed us' then it could spark off something useful maybe.

(Just playing devil's advocate really, I'm sure 'Never Trust A Tory, Labour are just Red Tories' is still the long and short of it)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The new Labour MP has pride of place behind Starmer, sporting a garish Union Jack facemask lmfao

e: lol, makes sense

https://twitter.com/zObscurantist/status/1483770724296888322?s=20

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Umbra Dubium posted:

Who the gently caress uses "fornicated" in this millennium?

(Yeah, yeah, Tory whips, that's who.)

Speeds things up a little if you use tabloid-speak right from the start. I'm just surprised there's no 'romping' on there.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1485956847743946756

Well, credit where it's due, they've played an absolute blinder here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I can't help but find this Starmer-Savile thing extremely funny. Especially the liberals trying to put the Anti-Corbyn-playbook genie back into the bottle.