Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, that's why the basic idea is to strip it all the way back to the original idea except using an old GoPro to film effectively a backing track for it, and just let myself talk over it rather than over-thinking the content. Even as I type that I'm already mentally planning an elaborate chest rig and steadycam setup and basically I need a mental equivalent of a rolled-up newspaper to bop myself with when I start doing that.

I've got a bicycle helmet with a mount for a 360 degree camera attached to the top. The plan was that I was going to walk down lots of London streets taking video. I wrote some code that would extract locations and directions from Google directions (say, Oxford Street to the Houses of Parliament) and the idea was to put together a bespoke playlist that would allow a user to travel between two places virtually with 360 degree video all the way. Even made and uploaded a trial video walking through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.

I had to go into London for work so went in the evening before so I could get a lot of streets done before starting work in the morning. One small problem - that was March 12th 2020, so it all went a bit pear-shaped after that!
And it turns out I'm too self-conscious to walk around with a camera stuck on my head so I could never do it anyway. Another great idea RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I read this post on here today (I didn't click through to twitter), and this evening I get this youtube recommendation -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53SzYSjIlG4

I don't know whether to be impressed or scared by this example of google's level of spying on me.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I ordered some covid tests today through the government site without a problem.

Having said that, if the rumour about having to pay for them soon becomes widespread then there will be a shortage in no time at all as everyone rushes to stock up.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

fuctifino posted:

<Stands up>
"I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer"
<Sits down>

I've not been watching it, but IIRC the way PMQs works is that an MP is allowed an initial question and a supplementary one. Notice of what the first question is has to be given to the government, so that standard thing is asking the PM what is in their diary. Hence the "I refer the hon. gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago" or whatever after the first one. The supplementary question doesn't require prior notice so that's the one they try to score points with.

Or something like that.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

My mum passed away in August last year. Mid 80s, in a nursing home with vascular dementia. I hadn't been able to see her for more than a year and a half. Must have been too busy going to parties or something...

Anyway, in England the funeral cannot be arranged without having the death certificate. The death certificate is obtained by notifying the council of the death, and must legally take place within ten days of death. Because of the covids the in-person notification is stopped and it happens over the phone (maybe that's changed now?).
So I go to arrange an appointment for the call ASAP so we can get on with the arrangements. Except there is nothing available within ten days. I call the registrars gently inquiring about not being able to do what I'm legally required to and they're just "don't worry about it". Registrar call happened after about 12 days after death and the funeral eventually happened 18 days after death.

TL;DR Bureaucracy

Don't ask me about trying to sort out probate.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

fuctifino posted:

I escaped just over 5 years ago. I'm now in 'posh' Okehampton.

Soakhampton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Is that door to 70 Whitehall the one that had the lock changed to keep Sir Humprhey out?