Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's annoying that none of my relatives corpses will have much trade in value.

A compelling argument to reopen the bone mills and use of human teeth in dentures.
https://medium.com/study-of-history/the-bones-of-waterloo-a3beb35254a3

Also:
Hope is a very useful lie as it gives the individual a reason to continue persevering.

Illustration: In between all the madness last year was a fantastically good one for me. It was the first time in over 10 years that I and my two children were all in the same place (reasons too long and too like a very bad soap-opera to detail). Last time I saw them both they were 4 and 7, they are now 15 and nearly 18 so a massive adjustment in my relationship with them needed but so far it's going amazingly and it has dramatically improved my mental state beyond anything I could have imagined.
Without the irrational hope that "things always get better eventually" that I clung to I would have very likely simply ended myself. Even with it I came very close at several points.

I can't remember which anarchist poet it was but his line (I paraphrase) " Of course the Ideal is unattainable, but still striving for it is required if things are to improve at all" also neatly makes the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Utopia está en el horizonte. Me acerco dos pasos, ella se aleja dos pasos. Camino diez pasos y el horizonte se corre diez pasos más allá. Por mucho que yo camine, nunca la alcanzaré. Para que sirve la utopia? Para eso sirve: para caminar.

(Utopia is at the horizon. I walk two steps, she distances herself two steps. I walk ten more, and the horizon runs other ten further away. As much as I walk, I'll never reach it. What utopia is for? It is for this reason: to walk.)
- Eduardo Galeano

That is beautiful and conveys the exact idea, but not what I'm thinking of. The quote I'm failing to fully recall is from the early 20th century so well before that was written, it also specifically uses Ideal. I'm pretty sure I came upon it in Woodcock's Anarchism which I haven't read for decades so I'll revisit it and try and find what/who I mean.

Thanks for sharing that though, I love it.
Anyone who's hitch-hiked also understands "keep moving so your destination is at least closer" as a deep truth. ;)

Edit: Been doing some digging, apparently that wonderful quote is actually Argentinian film maker Fernando Birri being quoted by Eduardo Galeano. Birri was born in the 20s so it just might be what I'm thinking of after all, perhaps paraphrased by Woodcock. Birri doesn't appear in Woodcock's index though...

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 1, 2022

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Fuckin' hell. No more neophiliac tech boondoggles please. Simpler and cheaper to offer (or make available for collection at nightclubs etc.) every woman who felt she might be in this position; a very powerful torch*, a gently caress-off loud alarm and an aluminium baseball bat. Maybe a taser.

* a friend once escaped a stop by a motorcycle cop by zapping him with the mecablitz flash gun he had with him as the orificer stuck his head in his car window. Something bright enough to do that.

The Question IRL posted:

You joke, but the end of that train of thought I "get loads of Ripley in Power Loaders on every street at night."

And honestly, that probably would make women safer.

Totally up for armed female self-defence groups. Some kind of Panthers.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is why I could never bring myself to fully support the Northern Independence Party even ironically. Like human sacrifice and cannibalism some cultural norms are completely beyond the pale.

Eh. Sure you don't mean it but that's a really poor choice of phrase at the end there mate.

Re: Bovril, wayback in the very early 70s, when I was wee and we'd only just moved to the UK, we went to a cafe for lunch and the waitress asked if I wanted a hot drink. I looked at the mostly alien menu and asked for a cup of bovril. I'd seen the -ov- and thought I was getting something related to Ovaltine.
Horrible, horrible shock when I drank some.

Guavanaut posted:

Nice of them to low key admit that it was criminalization that put organised criminals in control in the first place.
It really was a far nicer scene when weed* was mostly in the hands of disorganised petty criminals. Even at the level of buying pounds it was fairly relaxed. (*meaning all cannabis products, more solid than herb then)

Umbra Dubium posted:

How anyone can argue that cannabis is "dangerous and harmful" when alcohol and tobacco remain legal is beyond me.

Certainly less harmful than a mug full of Jameson's, eh, Keith.

Yes but you see those are what Nice people do, that there weed of Satan is all them funny-tinged chaps, and waste of space bohemians.

e:clarification

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 4, 2022

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

XMNN posted:

Re decriminalisation, I was chatting to the guy I buy it off last week and he said all the people he buys off are thinking about legalisation/decrim and trying to develop their own strains or whatever to turn into a brand, which seems to me to be a. inordinately optimistic about the future of drugs policy in this country and b. even more unjustifiably optimistic about any possible legalisation not being done in such a way as to hand control of the industry directly to multinationals and existing agribusiness (e.g. GW pharm)

So you're saying that they are capitalists? They can gently caress right off and all. "Brands" ffs. Short step from coke snorting Tory-boy that.

fuctifino posted:

Decriminalisation is a bullshit approach that solves none of the major issues. Cannabis will still be illegal, the police will still be stopping and searching young people for it, and gangs will still be warring with each other. However, with decriminalisation, it now opens up a new market where bullshit merchants can provide compulsory bullshit courses and make bank.

Courses in what? Lol. Just don't go, certainly don't loving pay. Lying to and disobeying the Man and then disappearing is a cool thing to learn.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I compared putting gravy on chips to cannibalism and human sacrifice... and you're worried I'm Doing A Spectator with the *other* half of the post?

(No seriously I'm not sure what I'm being accused of here - "beyond the pale", as in "Things that are done by the savages outside the walls" *is* a perfectly cromulent turn of phrase for a post taking the comedic perspective of someone literally saying Northerners need to be kept repressed for their culinary choices)
I was brought up to understand that the Pale (fence) in question was specifically that between the noble civilised English and the barbaric, uncouth Irish, and that it was not a polite or nice phrase to use, even in jest. But I'm probably old-fashioned and grumpy. Feel free to ignore me. :)

fe: Oh, it has gently caress all to do with anti-semitism. (Ignorance of your Culture is Considered Uncool!)
"The earliest reference ( 1547 ) to the Pale in Ireland as such draws the contrast between the English Pale and the ‘wyld Irysh’: the area beyond the pale would have been regarded as dangerous and uncivilized by the English."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

fuctifino posted:

A blanket decriminalisation is certainly a step in the right direction, rather than this suggested age and postcode limited trial that's being suggested in London, but full legalisation is where it should be at. Adults should have the right to choose which substance they want to take, and be able to go to a superdrug and purchase super drugs from a qualified professional. Decriminalisation is still prohibition, and it still allows a criminal black market to exist.
*Mutherfukinwalloftext alert*

And then just go off willy-nilly and take whatever they want, however they want, whenever they want? All totally wild-west like? No planning a safe and secure environment? Not too cool imo - this sort of stuff needs a good community around you, older lags who can help if you start to freak out (I was a frequent "trip shepherd" for first timers in my acid-head phase, and had loads of friends who worked as volunteer "bad-time" spotters and helpers in clubs during the whole ecstasy period (to be clear we weren't straight ourselves, we just understood the map)), or let you know that "actually that particular combo will gently caress you up and not in a nice way but if you try pacing it like this..". My peers and I had a keen interest in knowing what we were getting into before we got into it - on my part inspired by a book I've never read but saw advertised in one of my folks' Whole Earth Catalogues when young, basic message was "you wouldn't jump in a high-powered car without having at least an idea of how it works so why the gently caress are you feeding your head with chemicals that you don't understand the physiological and psychological impacts of? Get educated and be an informed sybarite not a victim."
And I'm not proposing some overly-constricted total controlled "setting" a la Leary, ugh no. I was at Stonehenge Free Festival in 1984 I have seen the possibilities of a full on anarchic but benign approach - gently caress there was even a drug-free Zone there if folks just wanted to chill and lose some of the crazy. In the flat I lived in (and had various flavours of import and distribution going on out of, underground news networks as well as party favours) we had one hard rule "Nothing is Compulsory" - meaning that it did not matter if most of the folks in the room were about to drop acid, or mix a massive chillum, etc. if you did not want to partake and just wanted to hang out and enjoy the vibe/show then that was cool and no one gets to say otherwise. Watch us make idiots of ourselves, learn, only join in if and when you want to. Smack wasn't encouraged on site (or at all really) cos we weren't going to become a loving shooting gallery (and Embra had a huge smack problem, places like Muirhouse were positively post-apocalyptic in feel), but if you did arrive on the nod we'd stick you in a chair and keep an eye on. Rude not to.

fuctifino posted:

Courses in 'Drugs are bad mmmkay?". There's a good chance that such courses will be compulsory to escape it being escalated to a criminal charge or caution. I'm pretty certain such courses are compulsory in Portugal, and that the attendees are required to pay for them.

Yeah, I've already typed too much (this poo poo is too hard for me to click-with in text, verbal communication always works better, I'm old :shrug: And the lack of dialogue means it just keeps pouring out QED :D) but, the comedy potential of a truly informed head in a "Drugs are bad mmmmkay?" session must not be overlooked. "Define drug" is a good start - lets go off on alcohol, and tobacco, and sugar, and chocolate, and (face it) the internet if we're gonna talk about mind altering things and how bad they are. Compare and contrast, ask them what they know about feeling drunk, how about being stoned? Trick is to remain ludicrously "reasonable", interested, engaged, talkative but not overtly fighty, let them think you are really interested in what they say but always keep a handle on where the conversation is going. (Funnily enough, call-centre hell work is great training for this). Wear them down with your incredible lack of butting heads just keep nudging the conversation into places they hadn't planned for. This stuff is old. What do you think the dolescum where doing back in the day? Performative comedy as survival strategy. Shame that too many of the truly wild cases are no longer with us - when the travelling folks got forced to stop they "coincidentally" all started getting hard drug habits and lots of them died. gently caress Thatcher.

Enough!, or Too Much! to quote an old visionary. I'm gonna gently caress off cos I have to get up early and try and do some work on my "parts" van to make it mobile cos some shite keeps calling the council and reporting it as abandoned. So I'm "reasonably" gonna move it a short distance round a corner cos the Council don't really care that it's parked in a wee industrial estate they just want the wanker to stop calling them. The fact that I call them to say what's going on rather than waiting for them to badger me goes a long way - they're just tired phone-monkeys themselves after all and if no one tells them about it they are certainly not going to go look for it. They've already agreed that if the calls continue after it moves, and in light of the repeated instances of vandalism on it last year, that I'll have a good case to argue Targeted Harassment - something that the police actually suggested after the second bit of damage, we just assumed it was drunk neds but if trouble follows it that's a different story....no curtain twitching "neighbour" is getting off that easy. Tools are there to use.