Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah it's pretty much impossible to work out when, where and why someone got Covid (which we've admittedly been trying to do this week in my house) but at the very least they put him in significant danger for a free holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nenonen posted:

It would be funny if they calibrated the algorithm according to the most common sexual assaulters and now white boomers would be followed from pub to home by drones, which would then stay on watch behind the bedroom window.

That would be great but we all know they'd design the algorithm to hone in on someone else.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao I didn't realise Ali had started covering football too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmegin posted:

I have never even as a kid understood cereal. I basically just settled on coffee for breakfast.

I didn't like them when the world told me to eat them in mush form in a bowl of white liquid. When I learned you could have them dry I fell in love (until I discovered coffee).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The roast potatoes I made last week were disappointing so I'm going to try your chip method but shape them like roasties.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I watched that Potter reunion and her absence was delightful. I hope some of the cast agreed to be involved only on the condition that she wasn't.

Notably known JKR transphobia defender Robbie Coltrane was one of the few to film all his stuff on his own and didn't interact with the rest of the cast.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tesseraction posted:

The funniest poo poo is Daniel Radcliffe is Jewish so for maximum points she could've just said Harry Potter is Jewish and watched nazis the world over freak the gently caress out.

I'm surprised she hasn't claimed that one of the students transitioned later in life to combat the transphobia accusations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

keep punching joe posted:

Reminder that there was a whole book in the Harry Potter series about changing gender via magic in order to get into the girls toilets.

:actually: I think you're mixing up the polyjuice subplot in the second book (where they transform into students of the same gender to get into the Slytherin common room) with a (IIRC) brief joke in one of the later books where someone tries to sneak into the girl's bedroom/bathroom using magic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rumda posted:

not so brief an entire major character and plot beat in one of the books

Ah fair enough. There's so much poo poo that goes on in those monstrocities.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

You can take a look at JustWatch and put in a few things you might like to see and see where they're streaming.

Plus all of these have trials or single monthly subs, so you can switch around.

Yeah Justwatch is a lifesaver now that every media company on the planet has its own service.

Netflix is a good all-rounder and has a massive back catalogue of great shows they've made (and loads of films but only a handful are any good). Prime doesn't really have loads to offer that you can't get elsewhere although they'll have the LOTR prequel this year if you're into that, as well as the recent Expanse series'.

Disney+ also has a surprisingly big catalogue now that they've integrated all of 20th Century Fox's stuff into the UK service, and is essential if you care about any of the Marvel or Star Wars shite.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Justwatch is useful for finding that some movie or tv series isn't easily available in the UK but is free on some ad-supported american service that works via a VPN...

Amazon Prime is terrible for being able to quickly carry on the next episode of the series you watvhed yesterday. Either it decides not to put the video link on the home page, it links to something I gave up watching six months ago, or it decides to link to series 2 when I'm watching series 4.

The worst thing about Prime is that it treats every season of a show as a separate show. So you can't put a whole show on your watch list, you have to tell it you want to watch each individual season. For a service devised by Amazon of all companies it's incredibly poorly designed and user unfriendly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"It is antisemitic but everyone else does it anyway so it's fine." :jerkbag:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Christ that's rough. I can't imagine having to work anywhere close to that field.

On a selfish note the idea of having a life threatening emergency is pretty scary right now. Even if you have the meant to get yourself to A&E rather than wait for an ambulance there'll be situations where you can't be safely moved without one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

'James is adamant that nothing amusing or unusual has ever happened to him'

Sounds like a right laugh

They both sound like insufferable cunts tbf. Hope they end up together.

Pablo Bluth posted:

All the new startrek stuff is rubbish so that's an easy saving....

The sheer amount of content being generated magnitudes more than anyone could even get close to watching even if you became an absolute coach potato who did the bare minimum of anything else. I've realised to not sweat try to catch everything that sounds interesting.

Discovery has its moments. I've only seen the first two seasons though and won't bother with the rest now that it's not on Netflix.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kin posted:

Discovery sucks because all of the characters have this breathy niceness about them and being super nice to eachother all the time. There's no underlying conflict between any of the cast that isn't directly related to whatever plot is happening at the minute and as such they're all boring 2D cutouts disguised by that flashy cinematic overproduced look you mentioned.

The current season is an arc about some giant black hole machine that's ripping apart galaxies yet, for most of the characters it's like they know they're in a TV show and it'll be taken care of in a few weeks.

If this was allowed to be referenced on Lower Decks it would be taking the piss out of how shite Discovery is.

Yeah but there was that one time that Tilly said gently caress.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gonna :nms: this tweet not because of the usual reason people call things not mind safe but because it represents a level of Rowling derangement so severe it actually caused a mental disturbance akin to a giant hit of salvia:

https://twitter.com/JacobKishnevi/status/1479552058399367177

The best part is that the books don't even come close to doing what he describes. The books look down on the upper classes but patronise the gently caress out of the working class (no really they wouldn't want the middle class' help, as long as they have each other).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I usually get John Lewis vouchers for Christmas and birthdays and their stuff is usually really good for the price (which isn't really much more than anywhere else).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We usually go M&S if we're doing something slightly special like a fancy roast or a big picnic. Can't imagine doing a whole weekly shop there - Sainsbury's is expensive enough as it is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mega Comrade posted:

Doesn't John Lewis somewhat treat its staff like human being also? I remember when I was younger it was regarded as one of the better retail jobs to have.

Until recently (they seem to have stopped in the last year or two) they made their staff wear suits though. Imagine wearing a suit to work a till.

Similarly all Waitrose staff used to have to look immaculate. I applied when I was 18 and knew I had no chance in the group interview when I was the lone fat, long haired oval office in a room of A&F models.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobstar posted:

Yeah it feels like having a needle stuck in your arm. Which is much less unpleasant, scratches hurt for ages afterwards.

Yeah I never got that. If anything it feels like my bone's being scratched most of the time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The bit that says C apparently has gold in it and C just stands for Control to see that the test has actually worked.
I don't think this article mentions the gold (and I can't remember where I read that) but I only skimmed it.

https://www.abingdonhealth.com/serv...bsorbent%20pad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07CK-4JoFo

This vid mentions the gold if you read the words.

Brb gonna root through some NHS hazard bins for gold.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

The little plastic ampoules of fluid seem to be evaporating out of mine, which is a bit annoying.

Yeah I noticed the last few I took had a lot less in them - to the extent that the control line only just about showed up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At this point I'd happily join and support a Corybn led left wing party. Yeah it'll almost certainly go the way of CUKTIG but it's better than the gently caress all we have now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The pets part is right tho

Yeah I suppose when my guinea pigs piss on me it is a bit warm.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This bollocks about the inquiry is a real head scratcher. Is he expecting the outcome to be different to what he already admitted to?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My memory's fuzzy on how it works and when but are we approaching VONC territory? I can't see any other route to getting him out at this point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fuctifino posted:

<Stands up>
"I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer"
<Sits down>

I want one of them to ask what he expects the inquiry to conclude beyond the facts established by himself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Foster posted:

Nah, Brenda would never do him like that, he's her favourite

She'll do it herself

“No, Andy. I ain’t mad. I never been mad, an’ I ain’t now. That’s a thing I want ya to know.”

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've not had a proper work piss up in nearly two years now, clearly I'm in the wrong job.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aphex- posted:

British people don't do wakes? What? Every funeral I've ever been to has had a wake.

I think they mean in the traditional sense where everyone has a pissup/cry next to the body itself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hopefully by the time I'm dead we'll have moved to a mass cremation system anyway and my kids won't have to worry about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

keep punching joe posted:

when i die i want to die in a peat bog so i can come back as a bog mummy.

I'm surprised no one's tried making peat and corpse smoked whisky yet (they probably have).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobstar posted:

Speaking of, Miriam Margolyes co-signed a letter in defense of Emma Watson over the "maybe Palestinians are ok" thing. So not all the older HP actors are terrible :unsmith:

Alan Rickman was a good egg too AFAIK (at least re: Palestine). :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They just don't realise they have the list because it's a blank Excel document.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can't wait to be reassured that Rishi had no knowledge of the parties going on every Friday for a year while he was in the office and living next door.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Quick slip her another ten grand.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

I may have to dig out my coalition of chaos t shirt

How is this not a band name yet?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Erm....

https://soundcloud.com/the-coalition-212352491

Not my cup of tea but they do exist.

Ok, someone better should take the name.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Would that not have fallen under the 1 hour daily exercise allowance? Or does the fact they were running around a ball make it an illegal sporting activity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Prole posted:

Starmer needs Johnson to stay put because every indication suggests that the poll lead Labour is currently enjoying will disappear in a week once a new Tory leader stands up and says they've drawn a line under the shameful leadership of the former Prime Minister. The British public are malleable enough to fall for it. Liberal blue ticks are already talking about how once Boris is gone things can get back to competent normality.

At the same time nearly another three years of Johnson isn't something I'm particularly keen about (despite the alternatives being potentially worse).