Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

NFTs have played a large part in that; when it was just numbers people could largely shrug it off as strange investment stuff, but now you have these skin-crawling weirdos shoving their ugly monkey jpegs in people's faces and giving them cult-like screeds about the future of the internet and how life-changing it is to own a lovely monkey jpeg, and people are cottoning on that these aren't sane people in full possession of their faculties.

And that's on the back of the massive ongoing chip shortages, and while crypto isn't entirely to blame for that, of all the things that people should be allowed to waste limited resources on, planet-burning funny money is right at the bottom of most people's lists.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh I almost forgot, there's also the rampant art theft where they just steal artwork from anyone and everyone and sell it without a hint of shame in a mad attempt to profit on absolutely anything they can get their hands on, and upon being challenged on it their earnest response is that the artist should have done it first. So now anyone who creates art or follows artists is pretty much guaranteed to despise crypto with all their heart.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On the subject of cereal: seriously, where do I get Ricicles or their closest knock-off? I haven't been able to find them in years, because everyone decided to stop making them simultaneously. I am getting unreasonably angry at the complete and total lack of sugar-coated rice crispies in this country, every time I remember that we were robbed of them I get really pissed off then have to feel stupid for being mad about cereal. Can I just sprinkle icing sugar on rice crispies and be done with it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

jesus i don't think i've thought about Start cereal for like twenty years

I can taste it just by thinking about it. God I loving love cereal, it's crunchy and sugary and full of carbs and it makes the milk taste all malty. I'm still mad about the Ricicles.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The various spreads made with vegetable or olive oil are great, I wasn't aware that it was still in contention at any point after the 90s.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Boomers are still furious at Brown for selling all the gold :bahgawd: and also he was personally at fault for the financial crash, can't scupper the crusty vote by having them remember that Brown existed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cheer up a Potter fan in your life by reminding them that they live in the magical wizarding world of Harry Potter already, they're just one of the non-magical folk that the wizards decided are a lower form of life and have left to die cold, alone and afraid in a dying world while they live in a gated community run by slaves and literally magic away all of their problems.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I remember waiting for a series to come on All4, but as it wasn't on there it saved the search and marked it as unavailable, and it stayed that way even when the series became available, so I had to manually type it in every loving time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The fact that the company didn't jump straight to payment in Exposure Bucks is already a huge leap above what most independent artists get offered for one-off jobs.

therattle posted:

Totally agree. 15 days at 8 hours a day is 120 hours. For a skilled artist you are talking about an hourly rate of £100, so closer to £12k would be my opening.

I know it's supposed to be an opening offer, but in art terms £12k for a one-off job is billionaire sugar daddy amounts; good on you if you can find someone willing to pay it, but the idea that this is a normal amount to open negotiations with is absolute eye-popping insanity. There was a big discussion some time back about the commission prices one of the real big hitters was charging for furry art, and I think even that was around the $3k mark.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It obviously goes without saying that if they can get a large sum for the job then that's loving amazing. It's just that everything I hear from commissioned artists is that even well off companies often just don't want to pay at all because art is completely unvalued, not just undervalued, so an opening offer over half the amount of my yearly salary is just completely alien to me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

TACD posted:

How does this happen? What’s the causation here?

Much like crypto, it's actually just an insular group constantly trading jpegs of monkeys and lions with each other for the same pool of money.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It'll be lovely in a year or two, I assume.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Wait, why did they even build it if it was going to be taken down again? The public reason I mean, not the real reason of Tory money laundering.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

This is loving insane

Hospitalisations are almost back up to the first peak. At least deaths aren't tracking to the same extent, I guess.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In terms of ethics the best thing is to buy what you want and stick it in your online storage then find a music app that lets you link to it, a few of them have integration with OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. It's a lot less involved than setting up a Plex server or whatever as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Didn't the statue smashing come shortly after a group of people were complaining about the BBC being transphobic? Did this guy offer an explanation for his actions yet, because given his politics I'm not sure what his reasoning was supposed to be.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 13, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

At least it was metal, I once managed to cut myself on a loaf of crusty bread.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was going to say, 15m dead would give most antivaxxers pause for thought, permanently (because they'd all be dead).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The echo chamber argument comes from absolute pea brained dipshits who think that the narrow field of liberalism is all that there is to political discourse, so they lump the vast fields of leftist discourse into one monolithic block, then write off any disagreements as infighting and splitting.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm amazed the license fee lasted this long after the arrival of Sky, where you had to pay a setup fee and monthly subscription for a separate infrastructure, yet still had to pay the BBC's ransom money to legally watch anything on it.

Not that I trust the Tories to be doing this for any good reason, but the political wing of the BBC has been rancid, toxic trash for years now, so whatever would constitute a good replacement wouldn't entirely resemble it anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Skulker posted:

Yeah and I mean it's been ages since I've used a library I just download all me books to a kindle.

That would be a reasonable argument if the BBC was actually free, didn't charge a monthly fee to access other people's content even when hosted on completely different infrastructure, and didn't send their goon squad to harass people in their homes if they dare suggest that they don't want to pay for content they aren't watching.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, for all its faults the BBC makes really cool stuff that would never be produced by a commercial organisation because it isn't always looking to maximise profit. Do you really believe the free market would tolerate half of the poo poo BBC 4 puts out? What's that, a documentary about mushroom foraging followed by a two and half hours on the social organisation of a failing 19th navy outpost in the Caribbean? Aye, as if. We genuinely would be poorer without these niche little shows all of thirty people watch.

You're not wrong, but the current model of bullying people into paying more than any other subscription service regardless of if you watch any of it clearly isn't a good compromise. Ideally you'd roll the infrastructure and funding for niche programming into state expenditure, but I appreciate we aren't going to get that with the Tories.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It ain't beans but as long as it's still Heinz.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

James O'brien goes after the easiest targets imaginable, which lets people gloss over the fact that he's an aggressive, abusive bully who belongs in the toilet.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's an extremely nice gaming YouTuber called Micky D with a thick Irish accent and he also pronounces film with two syllables. He's played a lot of licensed movie games, so it comes up a lot. I recommend him.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You only make the mistake of buying furniture from Argos once, maybe twice if you can't quite believe they could be quite so consistently terrible (they can).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've sat in one gaming chair and thought it felt like total poo poo.

I don't really have room for a full size chair though, so I have a small one from IKEA.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Amazing scene, although the idea of the falconer getting frustrated at the birds just makes me think of this one:

Because I think of COME ON YOU STUPID HORSE on a near daily basis.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We're also talking about an actor whose work is basically all contract stuff, and heavily reliant on personality. Not that actors aren't entitled to rights and dignity, but if the audience thinks you're a complete shithead and are threatening to stop watching then yeah, contracts are probably going to be cancelled and no longer come your way. It's not like regular labour where you can still get the job done even if you're a weird conspiracy nut like my postman, making people not want to change the channel is kind of an important part of being a TV actor.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Work from home tax loophole to be closed after it cost Treasury £500 million

No surprise there, but if you wanted to angry up the blood on a cold Friday morning then this should do it:

quote:

The Tory MP Kevin Hollinrake, a member of the Commons Treasury Committee, said: “It is often in people’s financial interests and personal interests to work from home, so it doesn’t seem appropriate that there should be tax relief for those who choose to work from home rather than being forced to do so.

“It’s important that we get people back to workplaces, rather than giving them any incentive to work from home.

“Lots of businesses rely on those people being at work, and it’s good for people to be at work because that’s where you learn. So for societal and economic reasons, it doesn’t make sense to have a tax break.”

Kate Nicholls, chief executive of UK Hospitality, said: “This is a distortion in the tax regime that encourages a culture of working from home. It should be scrapped urgently.”

Sir Robert Buckland, the former justice secretary, said: “It’s a tax relief that was designed for a very different era from the one we have been living through.

“A lot of people have actually saved money by working from home, and at a time when the Treasury needs to harness all the extra money it can, it is a sensible time to close this loophole.”

This country is a disease, and not just because of the literal disease stalking every corner of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The national hero who *checks notes* heroically walked around his garden a bit.

I get that it was hard at his age, but gently caress me, the standards for heroism have really slipped.