Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I slept through the new year so hopefully that means it will be good.

Though I think I also slept through the last two so I dunno.

Happy new year regardless! I started as I mean to go on, arguing with people on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Thought this was the queen's D&D stats for a second.

Glad I am not the only one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Tom(R) brought to you by Fever Tree(tm)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you think he got very mad when people called it the leech barometer and angrily started yelling IT'S A TEMPEST PROGNOSTICATOR AND THE LEECHES ARE MY SAGES DAD

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really do enjoy the trending tab, imagining that all of the subjects are related.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

like am i missing something or is it really just that

No that's it, it's a creepy dude going "aren't you very mature for your age" about children in a national newspaper.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's annoying that none of my relatives corpses will have much trade in value.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could wear a hat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lol?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can't argue that death is not a long term sustainable solution to heating problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want desperately to know the thoughts of the artist commissioned to "draw the NFT monkeys loving"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I think a lot of the "big" nfts are literally not hand drawn, they are assembled out of parts generated by a computer with quantifiable "rarities" because yes the entire point is artificial scarcity for the sake of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crypto in general is just tech nerds trying and failing to solve the "problem" of needing to trust other people and organizations for society to work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Umbra Dubium posted:

It's funny because the people who repeatedly fall for it are the ones who have the highest opinion of their own intelligence.

He can't get you if you stay humble.

Yes this is the funny bit, like I also probably wouldn't be able to tell, but the funny part is when people who think they're absolutely king poo poo get got and then completely lose their loving minds about it.

Also "robert zands" is a play on bobby sands so that one at least is quite funny.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose initially the only people interested in it would be the "enthusiasts" and the more widespread it becomes (and exposed to people who don't have piles of money to throw away on useless poo poo) the more common the "this seems like a massive scam" idea would become.

Because it pretty obviously is, you need to be primed with a lot of stupid techbro brain to actually believe it can be anything other than an insane speculation racket.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 3, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

NFTs are utterly mind boggling to me

Like, at least you can use crypto to buy drugs

Imagine if instead of drugs you were a massive nerd with too much money and instead had figured out a way to buy social validation with other terrible rich nerds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The blockchain also looks like poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

I refuse to learn what a block chain is.

It's just a transaction log, except instead of having like, a bank, which can be audited by the government if they start randomly taking money out of your account, holding the transaction log, you instead have millions of computers constantly doing maths to try and establish a consensus reality of the transaction log, and you have to keep adding computing power to this because the more transactions the amount of maths goes up exponentially (this is by design) and also if anyone got control of enough of the computers they could just make up whatever they wanted.

this is Progress, and better than Banks and Statist Fiat Currency.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

My eyes have glazed over like a pair of Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

Probably for the best really. You could use that brain space for literally anything else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If all the teslas in the world went on fire at once do u think that would be a net reducation in co2 emissions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So, firstly, anyone who mixes comparisons like this should be shot. I have no intuition for how many power plants there are worldwide or even per state. 25 certainly sounds like a lot but is it? The comparison doesn't impart any information. And "more power than electric water heaters, cooking appliances, clothes dryers, dishwashers, or freezers" technically is comparing it to those things individually, but by slamming them into a list it reads as if its more than them combined. What they mean is "your gaming rig isa sizable chunk of a households electricty bill", which isn't exactly noteworthy.

2.3 million cars also sounds like a lot, but there are 289 million cars in the USA. But if I state "American gamers emit as much carbon as 1% of our cars" it sounds trivial.

Secondly, I loving hate when people mix SI units. billion kilowatt hours just jars my brain.

Thirdly, I can only convert by counting 000s on my fingers. Kila-mega-giga-tera. So 75 TWh. Bitcoin is 110 TWh.

Which makes me think that the "crypto is burning down the amazon" is a bit of an exaggeration, and I'm torn between intellectual honesty and dunking on techbros.

Although this has kind of driven home to me how loving horrible combustion engines are, when such a massive chunk of home energy usage is equivalent to a few % of cars. Jesus. Can we just ban cars?

If you ban videogames people will have to do other things, which definitely will not involve driving cars anywhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thank you for reminding me how actually stupid my half-recalled version of "it gets harder the more you do it, intentionally" was.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sometimes I wish I could resurrect marx just to show him poo poo like bitcoins and see what it did to his brain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like terfs, OP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well he is a liberal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wanted to do a praxis and also stuff my face by making non kellogs rice crispy squares, and the most popular recipe calls for "tablespoons" of butter.

How the gently caress do you measure butter in a tablespoon???

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

The density of butter is about 0.9g/ml and a tablespoon is 15 ml.

0.9 x 15 = 13.5g

I have resorted to trying to figure this out and this is about the number I got too, I am more just absolutely loving baffled at how you are supposed to actually measure it, because it's a unit of volume for something that doesn't loving fit in a spoon.

Yes you can gouge out chunks of it with a spoon but unless you just melt a giant bucket of it and ladle it out you aren't getting level spoonfulls of the stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

edit: i run two computers at home, partial heating with included entertainment is fine by me.

I actually have wondered about this, if you adjust your heating to compensate is running electronics not just running a space heater that also does other things?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you get enough concrete in the right shape you can sail it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_ship

There's one sunk off the east cliff at whitby. Sticks out when the tide is low.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 3, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The one at whibty I think was built as a tugboat, and was scuttled on the eastern shelf.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was more thinking just about the notion that the electricity of a computer is just "wasted" when you're presumably not just firing it out of your house, presumably it should be counted for the utility of the task you're doing with it and also for its heating usage.

I don't think that really applies to making up useless things to do with your computer as an excuse to run it though, as in crypto.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't wash mine as often as I should and they are hardly foul, really want to know what the gently caress people are doing to their masks where they are visibly dirty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was tempted to see if I could get the pop bottle gas mask trick to work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think what is being described is a butter dish with a water seal, but I don't know where the "upside down" comes in. Perhaps it is some sort of butter isomer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is entirely on brand for the chocolate orange disliker to have other bad food ideas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I asked for a chip splash a while ago and they gave me the gravy in a little cup, so I put my fork in it and it literally stood up in the gravy, and then I drank the gravy when i had finished the chips.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It was definitely gravy but it was good chippy gravy which means that it was gelatinous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you think he just likes doing relaunches and he's blowing all the budget on pints and launches?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody is stopping you from going out and licking doorknobs jenny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I'm all for blair being knighted, seems an entirely appropriate fit.