Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gonzo McFee posted:

TIL that the BBC has a nonce statue

I like the "is this the way?".

Well it was still up, so doesn't look like anyone really trying any other ways that worked. So gonna going to have to go with yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

As long as she's the monarch she is covered by Crown immunity in UK, and Sovereign immunity worldwide.

Do the French still have laws on the books that let them deal with royalty properly?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Flat earth models can be legitimately fascinating, in the same way early models of the earth and universe in historical models can be, but man do they just fall apart so quickly when you prod them even a bit. Like at least the historic models they weren't working off that much information. Another main similarity being, historical models have, oh this weird thing I can't account for, god did it, and flat earther it's "oh massive world wide elitist conspiracy!".

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

It's a massive world wide elitist conspiracy to hide the existence of God.

God failed basic physics. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dabir posted:

I once tried to figure out how a flat world, generally, would actually work absent fantastical elements like giant turtles and actual magic. First I think you have to assume that gravity is just always universally downwards, and even that was so difficult to think about that I just sort of stopped.

Honestly it's a pretty interesting thought experiment to run through, just to try and think about other ways things could be. Like it's always good to think outside the box. One solution to gravity not always being down wards is like a reverse cone shape, with the 'flat earth' being at the bottom. Now, have fun trying to figure out ways that could work!

It's sort of like those youtube videos where physicists look at Warhammer 40K planets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WT68z4RxVA or Marvel planets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-i2ZHddrM4 and trying to figure out what's going on. Sure it's going to be mostly garbage that doesn't work, but it can end up pretty interesting figuring out exactly why.

Although yeah this is all bored rainy day stuff. Not actual science stuff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The world is round because otherwise the classiest piece of furniture ever wouldn't be accurate.

The world is pac-man? They physics of that is even worse!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
and what are you measuring the shadows of? Wooden sticks?

Wooden sticks are in on the conspiracy!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Flood wipes out human civilization, OK I can buy that.

That civilization was Atlantis. Yeah a little woo woo but whatever.

Yeah I mean there's literally Doggerland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland) and just a whole bunch of other that have some historical evidence for due to floods and tidal waves, when "civilizations" were more just basically city states. Like probably not 'Atlantis' though due to it's first mention being almost certainly just a literary device, but maybe it was based off some badly passed on stuff that actually happened.

As soon as you get to sci-fi advanced civ stuff, as soon as you start thinking about it even a bit, the problems just start mounting really, really quickly.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kecske posted:

place your bets on who it is!

I mean if there actually is one, and it's not Boris, man the Chinse hosed up, loving thing up.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 13, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Or the suns a hypno-toad.

All hail Son of hypno-toad.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

fuctifino posted:

A friend made this for me, and it's too good not to share

Oh I do not like how that staff member is looking at that small child with the red binder, I don't like that look at all.

Stop that Britain. Stop being like that.

:mad:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I kind of assume diogenes would just have john cena's entrance music.

Also he would obviously live under the ring and come out occasionally to hit people with a steel chair.

Hit em' with a steel chair, and biting questions about how they live, and why their opulent life style is obviously bring them little happiness.

Diogenes goes into a ring, he's going to break his opponents spine and uncritical world view about what is really need to live a good life.

Truly why he is remembered as one of the greatest philosophers.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Reminds me of the bit in Spike Milligan's war memoirs where, on reading about Hiroshima, one of his fellow soldiers remarks that the atom bomb was way too expensive to waste and they should have dropped old gas ovens full of dog poo poo instead.

I mean just on how destructive the two nuclear weapons used were, that's pretty much true. Famously there was a fire bombings that did far more damage and killed more people. (https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017...istory/?edg-c=1.

That's obviously discounting the tremendous fear factor the nuclear weapons had. Oh and obviously they were all straight up war crimes. but yeah.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

domhal posted:

https://twitter.com/chrisdeerin/status/1481589006215303171

"So glad I don't have to go there" Johnson, possibly.

Also possibly just scared of a reverse massacre of Glencoe.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bessantj posted:

I wonder if the queen can just make up titles "You are now the 'Dongleby of Pongleby.'"

I mean I'm sure there's a whole bunch of 'royal rules of titles' going back ages, but honestly, who's going to stop her?
Like anything that isn't putting someone in the house of lords, or you know has an actual real world significance. Made up title to begin with so I'm sure people would hmm and err. but end of the day, it's a title and it's the queen.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like 'book' agent and 'gabby barber' are airing some personal grievances there.

They put "artist" in there and "humorist" front and center. Some of this one seems to be self mockery of the cartoonist and character as a grouch.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just watched The Thing recently and it's pretty obvious the best cure for basically any pandemic is through the medicinal use of a combination of flamethrower and scotch.

Big pharma haven't even started stage 1 medical trials into this clearly effective treatment. Stop the lies!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

...is this meant to be an impressively large amount of stuff to look through? 500 pages and some photos, that's a book. They have one large books worth of evidence submitted. poo poo, 300 photos, I've seen one person take that many at a party.

Cases regularly have dozens of boxes worth of evidence, this is basically nothing.