Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Four of my mates have now received readmission letters ending their suspension from the Labour Party on spurious ideological grounds. Something tells me Keith is panicking about not having anyone to knock doors for him should a snap election be called. Delicious.

Prole fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

NotJustANumber99 posted:

^^^ We've seen that picture ages ago haven't we, and even then it was the second time?

First reported in the S*n in (I think) May 2021. Dragged up again last December. And now, obviously, again. This is what they get when they suck tabloid hog to gain the Gammon vote. No sympathy.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

NotJustANumber99 posted:

as suggested earlier in the thread its possible he's only just scraped together enough money to pay off the hackers that stole his database to allow him to email them.

I'm part of a group legal action about the hack and we were asked to issue individual Subject Access requests, with a 30 day deadline, asking for all data held of ours and the name of the third party that lost that data. No reply. Not even a notification to say the party had read our emails. So now the law firm has issued a 30-day deadline for ALL information on the incident, including

- types of data lost
- scale of lost data
- name if third party data handler
- security steps taken by them before hack
- steps taken after the hack
- progress report on solving the issue

and if there's no reply then they're taking the party to court to sue for damages for breach of GDPR and failure to comply with lawful SAR. So if that's the case we might end up knowing fairly soon.

Prole fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 15, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

happyhippy posted:

Are they going back to help Labour?
Whats to stop being purged afterwards again.

Some are. Like talking to a brick wall... Others were only staying in the party on the off-chance so didn't really mind being kicked out. I know one of whom is itching to tell his MP in person to go gently caress himself.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

NotJustANumber99 posted:

geez... prole's only been here 24 hours. doesnt gently caress about

Apologies if Im too vocal. I admit I have jumped in with both feet.

EDIT: [removed bad taste joke - apologies]

Prole fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 15, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

if labour ends up imploding due to legal cases I may have to dig out my coalition of chaos t shirt and just wear it for a bit.

I'd be surprised to see them win a majority, but I think there's a chance they could form a coalition of their own should a snap election be called as things stand. As much as I don't really want that. In the long run, that would be good because it would be a "money where your mouth is" situation where he'll have to either follow through on, or publicly abandon every pledge and promise he's made. We all know which. Either way, I'm all for watching him sweat his shirt transparent during the campaign.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How long have you been lurking though to catch the lie of the land?
I lurked for 3 weeks before registering.

I've been reading the forums on and off for a while. I was under the belief that I was a member before - when I used to talk poo poo about Doctor Who - but apparently I wasnt. so as I'm trying to avoid a ban on twitter i thought i might as well dive in finally. admittedly I didn't know about THIS thread until about 20 mins ago or whenever. I usually checked UK Chat and the tv threads. But Im here now

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What you posted about the membership cases was interesting and I suspect a lot of people in the thread will be extremely eager to hear the details as it unfolds.

About the legal action around the data loss? I got in touch with a no win no fee place doing a group action back in Nov. didnt hear anything for a while so wrote it off. Then got an email sayin "we asked some of you to make SRAs to which the party did not respond in the given time frame, so we'll be taking this further. stay tuned" basically. Then one saying they're giving the party a month to tell all or go to court.

If you mean the suspensions being reversed, I don't know much more about that than I've already said.

But I'll keep you informed on both :)

Prole fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 15, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

Kieth is meditating in a fishtank full of special brew, building power in his law brain to psychic blast all the litigants, just you wait.

It is, already, according to Google. On Twitter @TheCoalitionOfC

(Ugh, white UK rap duo or some poo poo)

Prole fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 15, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

nurmie posted:

ngl it fills me with schadenfreude seeing just how bad the Moderate Adults are at running things

like at the very least you'd expect them be good at bureaucracy and management

BUt that's just it, isn't it? They never had to show that they had any of those skills. They've played politics on easy mode all their lives; nerd politics A-level pupils - Labour Students - photocopier boy/girl - eager junior advisor - parachuted into a safe seat. No challenge. Most of them were still in school the last time Labour won an election those that weren't were instrumental in making sure that the millions of votes won in 97 were millions less by 05. This coming election is going to be the first time any of these people have actually had to prove their merit.

Prole fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 15, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Jesus Christ. They don't even know who's in the party let alone whose data they lost! Bunch of clowns, man

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1482007528397496324?s=20

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

Someone else posted a page or so back that they have very conveniently lost all figures since the leadership election.

They say they KNOW that membership is around 400k, which is almost 200k down on Corbyn's tenure.

I imagine a fair few of those are just people who cancelled their Direct Debit and so will stay on the membership list for at least a year.

If they now don't know how many members they have then does that mean they've lost people's Direct Debit details?! If not, then those DDs would tell them exactly how many paying members they have, without having to look at their "membership lists".

The more they say about all this, the worse it sounds for them in the long run. It's unreal how irresponsible they are.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyway, I have just finished We Live, the sequel. It was published in 1939 after the author had died.

The struggles of the miners, the duplicity of the company which owned the mine, the lack of support from the Labour government, general strike, protests, police violence, the Communist Party, etc, the sit-in down in the mine (they still had pit horses back then - the men sit-in in the stables), all the while supported by their wives, Mary (Len's wife) joining the party and becoming a respected figure even earning a place on the council with one elderly lady in her 80s saying she would vote for her having never voted before as it was the only chance she'd ever had to vote for a woman, and ending with Len going off to Spain to the Spanish civil war to fight the fascists. (The author died in Spain of a heart attack after giving 30 speeches in a day).

I cannot recommend these two books too highly.

Read the first one, Cwmardy, here: https://www.library.wales/digital-e...0%2C3732%2C3173

Can't find online reading link for We Live.

Totally recommend this sequel.

Thanks. These sound great. My neck of the woods too. I'll be digging these out. Cheers.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Another Wales-dweller!
I spent some of my formative years living in a South Wales mining town.
http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/Gwent/Beynon%27s.htm

Not a million miles away from me. My closest colliery was Cwm

Closed due to Miners' strike, and two years later they tried to use the grounds for dumping chemical waste. That was my first protest, in 1988, aged 2 with my mam and dad.

Prole fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 15, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Mebh posted:

Nice to have new folks in the thread!
Enjoying the never ending schadenfreude at the absolute state of the PLP.

I wonder if with enough momentum something positive could actually happen. Rather than just accelerationism and watching starmer lose to prime minister liz truss.

I got money on Truss being next Tory leader so let's not slow things down just yet... I need that £150. The only positive outcome would be people realising that the Sensible Centre are useless sack of poo poo and their politics is poison. I'm not holding my breath for that.

Nope. I fear things will need to get much worse before they can get better. It's a sorry state to be in, but as long as we're there to prove our worth when the time comes... We have the answers but the public will need to be ready to finally listen. We got so close in 17. It won't happen over night but I truly believe it will happen. Never through the Labour Party again though. That will never be allowed to happen now.

Jakabite posted:

I like this poster. This poster should post more imo. that is my drunk posting review for the evening. tune in next week

Cheers. Kind of you. Have a glass of water before you sleep.

Prole fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 15, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

WhatEvil posted:

I don't have money on it, but if I did it would be on Sunak.

That said I think Gove is/was Murdoch's choice so maybe smart money's on him?

Sunak is going to get caught up in the party stuff, imo, once the narrative turns to "the photo was taken from Sunak's office, so why didn't he mention this earlier; careerist!". And rumour has it Murdoch is sounding out Starmer as a runner. But we'll see...

Tbh I think Gove is done. His time has come and gone.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Jedit posted:

You're going to feel like a complete prat when Prole turns out to be someone's re-reg.

I'm no re-reg. Scout's honour.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Why is "tips to" highlighted?

I think to highlight how out of touch it is to offer "tips" for saving saving money and the main one being "don't pay £40k for a live in nanny, instead hire in for £10. Like anyone has a spare £10pa knocking about.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Starmer's giving a speech to the Fabians today. He's just said

"It's obvious that the health service and the NHS need more money. But that's not all it needs," Starmer says. "The NHS also needs reform so it works in a different way."

Need there be a clearer indicator of the plans of this shithouse?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

josh04 posted:

I'm amusing myself thinking back to all those cataclysmic warnings about the penalties for GDPR violations and how it turned out that as long as you weren't completely incompetent as an institution then it was just a case of checking a bunch of boxes and if you just did that bare minimum, then even if the worst happened and hackers stole your entire membership database then you probably wouldn't get sued into oblivion.

They say the hack means they don't know current membership numbers, but they need only count the number of direct debits and monthly subs payers. But they say no. So either they've lost their DD database too, or they've realised just how few people are still paying subs compared to the "registered members" that were on their spreadsheet before they lost the data. Either way, they're hosed lol.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

ThomasPaine posted:

https://twitter.com/Loknayn/status/1481958463358095362?s=19

Regardless of whether we think a fine was or wasn't appropriate in this case (it wasn't) how is it remotely legal for your job to withhold wages to pay a fine given by the police under what I'm assuming are very tenuous legal grounds that almost certainly would be laughed out of the room if it ever went to court?

Unless the gov claimed it as a "deduction" under PAYE. I know people who have had court fines and utility debts "deducted" from their wages pre-tax.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

sebzilla posted:

Good morning to the shadowy figures from the Labour thread on theforum365 who are lurking this thread right now. Hope you're having a fun time obsessing over my internet presence.

Love from your favourite crank cultist. X

e: And an extra hello to Prole if you're one of them doing some sort of weird bit to try to coax objectionable statements out of us for your inter-forum drama. That "Israeli spy" edit of yours earlier isn't quite on brand, calm it down maybe?

Wow... I promise I'm not here to gently caress with anyone. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my twitter details. As for the Israeli Spy comment, Starmer literally has an ex-Israeli spy working for him, checking social media accounts. It was a (poor?) try at humour. As for objectionable statements: I haven't been here long but everyone seems absolutely on the level to me. Nothing objectionable here.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I'm unable to take GCHQ money anyway, it's written into my contract with Soros 😉

Sebzilla I PM'd you

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

nurmie posted:

i do not have the permission to view that page, apparently

though i'm pretty sure this thread would easily weather a centrist invasion. i also doubt the invaders would be successful in finding anything even remotely resembling antisemitism here

also, i sincerelly doubt Prole is a centrist plant on the merit of their avatar choice alone (i wouldn't rule out them being a KGB plant though :v:)

Haha you're the first person to ever recognise that! :)

Edit: I can't view the link either. Whatever though. I say let them come. They won't stick around once they start getting debated with informed opinion... They're not used to that, the Centrists.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

StAy AnD fIgHt

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Christ. Almost 6m people dead worldwide, but Helen Lewis wants her life back... These people make me sick, you know.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Decent turnout at the Kill The Bill marches across the country by the looks of things. Awesome.

https://twitter.com/RivkahBrown/status/1482344222502105089?s=20

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why is it strange XR is there?

Apart from the fact that they actually are 85% cops, I think she means because they haven't really bothered protesting the Bill thus far. Vaguely remember someone from XR (and someone from that astroturf group that bailed on the Everard vigil) saying they're supportive of the Bill because breaking the law is bad or some such nonsense.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like a quarter of the population?

15m *cases* confirmed I think.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

For better or for worse, internet forums tend to be an organic entity. A thread may start off with an eclectic mix of opinions and views from a range of backgrounds, but through sheer group dynamics you find they congeal into a sort of bubble of similar opinion. Either people get swayed by the opinions of others or those with what we might call "dissenting opinion" find it better for their brain to slide off elsewhere. I'd hazard a guess that almost everyone in here is a working class/emergent wc person aged between 25 and 50 with broadly "hard left" views and a penchant for poking the bees nest in terms of debate. Among ourselves, disagreement is still a thing, but it's more about the nuances.

Twitter is slightly different. It's the very reason the libs on twitter are so roundly owned so often: The likes of Baddiel and Lewis aren't used to rubbing up against people who will say "hang on, that's bullshit". Twitter, unlike internet forums, doesn't have that same sense of self-cultivated membership. I love debating centrists more than I love debating tories and the right, simply because they aren't used to being held accountable or facing any kind of challenge to their viewpoint at all. It's maybe the only aspect of the bullshit "horseshoe" theory that fits - the left and right are the same in one way: both are well used to having to defend their ideological standpoint in the face of often aggressive challenge...

I'm all for letting the libs in, but in a year it'll be back to being a roundly leftist collection of chronically online but almost certainly correct individuals, either because the centrists will run away or because the good faith actors among them acquiesce to the arguments we make. When I started writing this I had a point, but I've forgotten it.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Bobstar posted:

Leftists. Always infighting in their echochambers :rolleyes:

It's sort of true, in a sense... but...

When leftists in-fight it's about "how best to make things better for everyone", whereas the libs argue "should we even try to make things better for everyone?"

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

winegums posted:

This whole "labour lost all their membership data" thing feels like it should be a bigger deal than it is. Am I missing something?

1) why didn't the company storing the data have multiple backups?
2) if above, who the gently caress signed a contract with no backups?
3) what are they going to do in terms of coordinating any sort of membership activity, or tracking payments to ensure members paying dues are legally allowed to (ie people's DD's aren't coming from illegible sources).

Any word on the debate the NEC were having about letting corbyn back in? I suspect if there is a snap GE they'll let him in as their finances and election workforce are going to be hosed. Plus if he's let in in the run up to a GE nobody will have space to debate whether helping labour is good or not (it's bad folks).

(Sorry, this is a bit of a pet topic)

The general consensus, given that they still haven't even named the third party that suffered the data breach, is that the company involved is either Blackbaud - which suffered a similar hack regarding labour data in 2019/20 - or David Evans' consulting firm. If it's the former then why on earth were they still using the firm? If it's the latter then Evans is really in the poo poo. Either way, it's very embarrassing for the party. They should've had backups but these are absolute clowns we're dealing with here so it doesn't surprise me if they didn't. You'd think that a massive data breach like this - nearly 400,000 people's information affected, maybe more given that some people who left the party long before the breach (including me), and even YEARS before, have received emails saying their info was potentially taken - would be headline news.

Clearly the party is lying about not knowing how many members they have due to the hack. Direct Debits would give you a rough number, as I've mentioned previously. I wonder where they got everyone's email addresses from to notify them of the hack if the breach was so devastating that they not only don't know who's info was robbed but don't even know what info was affected.

I reckon they know what's been taken and aren't too worried about it (so presumably not bank details etc). They also know that they can't admit to having farmed members' data out to a) a company with a record of losing it, or b) a company owned by the General Secretary. So they have to play dumb and hope it goes away. The press don't care, most members have forgotten about it. I hope the legal action that's being organised will shed some light on it all.

But yeah, you'd expect it to be taken more seriously than this, regardless of the ins and outs. Crazy that it is basically a non-story to most.

Prole fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 15, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Lungboy posted:

The 3rd party that had the breach has been named now iirc.

E: yep: " LabourList has now learnt that the third party is digital agency Tangent, which ran Labour’s online members’ centre, and that the “cyber incident” in question was a ransomware attack."

Holy poo poo. This passed me by! Thank you.

Sorry folks. Looks like I've got some homework to do.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

BUF on his back. Kotwica on his chest, alongside the thin blue line flag and a poppy pin. Madness. Just worn proudly.

Prole fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 15, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/stephen15099225/status/1482418069922328578

There's a high chance they were inspired by the old BUF logo (though the bolt is different), but it just indicates that the officer is trained to use a taser.

Ah that's ok then. Still, two problematic emblems.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Lungboy posted:

I can't find anything to corroborate that badge being a taser thing.

Same here. I'm happy to take someone's word for it if they say they know. But it's a bit too fash for me regardless of its "actual meaning" tbh. No accident, if that's the case. And there's still the Thin Blue Line and Polish nationalist symbol.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

"Your mysterious young friend, whose name you have never told me, but whose picture really fascinates me, never thinks. I feel quite sure of that. She is some brainless beautiful creature who should be always here in winter when we have no flowers to look at, and always here in summer when we want something to chill our intelligence. Don’t flatter yourself, Basil: you are not in the least like him.”

“You don’t understand me, Harry,” answered the artist. “Of course I am not like her. I know that perfectly well. Indeed, I should be sorry to look like her. You shrug your shoulders? I am telling you the truth. There is a fatality about all physical and intellectual distinction, the sort of fatality that seems to dog through history the faltering steps of kings. It is better not to be different from one’s fellows. The ugly and the stupid have the best of it in this world. They can sit at their ease and gape at the play. If they know nothing of victory, they are at least spared the knowledge of defeat. They live as we all should live—undisturbed, indifferent, and without disquiet. They neither bring ruin upon others, nor ever receive it from alien hands. Your rank and wealth, Harry; my brains, such as they are—my art, whatever it may be worth; Sue Gray’s good looks—we shall all suffer for what the gods have given us, suffer terribly.”

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1482671875452977154?t=ifd3rlyA5dei0KFdB8RhqQ&s=19

Tardy Keith Strikes Again

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

feedmegin posted:

I think it's an idea invented in a number of places independently, to be honest. 'Take chicken, dust it in flour, boil it in oil and it'll probably be nice' is an easy conclusion to jump to.

Wikipedia claims the Scottish were the first Europeans to try it, which, well, tracks. Wiki also claims the enslaved/Nigerian element was mostly the spice mix.

When I was dating a Canadian girl and visited her family one time, we went to a local Hungarian Hall and the diaspora community gathered to have chicken and mashed potatoes, and few beers. It was great. I ate so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Starmer needs Johnson to stay put because every indication suggests that the poll lead Labour is currently enjoying will disappear in a week once a new Tory leader stands up and says they've drawn a line under the shameful leadership of the former Prime Minister. The British public are malleable enough to fall for it. Liberal blue ticks are already talking about how once Boris is gone things can get back to competent normality.