Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's great. A muslim had a drink so I don't believe the vulnerable should have a safety net anymore. Brain of nothing but worms.

Here's hoping everyone has a great 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kingturnip posted:

The number of church-goers in the Tory party who think and act as if being poor is the greatest crime imaginable should be a surprise.
But it's not, because they're Tories.

I was once told by a dedicated church goer that it's right that the government shouldn't provide for the poor as that's the church's responsibility. I suspect that is a view that is uncomfortably popular.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

If they really believed that then why not compete to do a better job of it than the government? (Other than it just being an excuse that the poor should 'know their place' and neither should do it)

I'd have asked him if I'd thought of that but no doubt he'd blame the government. They are all satanists you know, that's why being gay is no longer illegal.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

therattle posted:

What else could it be, directly or indirectly? And if it isn’t marketing it’s still a company. Take what you can.

Also:

https://twitter.com/josefoshea/status/1479103886367420424?s=21

I was going to ask "what anthem?" But it's the English one. Alright then, can that only be in England and Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland would get their own anthems?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is that what his loop has become? What a loving waste of time.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gonna :nms: this tweet not because of the usual reason people call things not mind safe but because it represents a level of Rowling derangement so severe it actually caused a mental disturbance akin to a giant hit of salvia:

https://twitter.com/JacobKishnevi/status/1479552058399367177

How I envy someone that can have an opinion as poo poo as this and yet have the confidence to post it.

I tried to take up smoking over three months when I was seventeen. Never really took, I kept forgetting to buy fags and not enough of my friends smoked for me to bum a ciggy off them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah but I wanted him to build the loop, find that people would die then blame the government for over regulation. When the news presenter said it was more like "a highway underground" all I could think was isn't that what Musk was trying to get away from?!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dabir posted:

He's lazy and stupid, even with other people's labour and brains. Digging one tunnel took a long time and he got bored so he said "good enough" and put Teslas in it cause he already had those.

I'm not sure if he's stupid but I do agree with him being lazy or at least quick to lose interest in things that don't align with his vision immediately. I don't think he's actually built anything from the ground up himself.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been working in Oxford this week and have come to the realisation that I'm becoming a middle age bigot. I've found myself irritated when English people mispronounce Welsh names. Even though I am [i]well[/] aware that it's a completely different language with different pronunciation rules that they couldn't possibly be expected to know. Gives me something to work on in the new year I suppose.

Also the amount of rotten wooden sleepers on the British rails is shocking.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Duke of York, despite being a title given by the Queen, is not a royal title because this is a very normal country.

What makes something a royal title?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Your great great great great great great great great grand parents need to massacre a farmer town to get a proper one.

I wonder if the queen can just make up titles "You are now the 'Dongleby of Pongleby.'"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

dr_rat posted:

I mean I'm sure there's a whole bunch of 'royal rules of titles' going back ages, but honestly, who's going to stop her?
Like anything that isn't putting someone in the house of lords, or you know has an actual real world significance. Made up title to begin with so I'm sure people would hmm and err. but end of the day, it's a title and it's the queen.

I bet there are plenty of people that would faint because it would be beyond decorum.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyway, I have just finished We Live, the sequel. It was published in 1939 after the author had died.

The struggles of the miners, the duplicity of the company which owned the mine, the lack of support from the Labour government, general strike, protests, police violence, the Communist Party, etc, the sit-in down in the mine (they still had pit horses back then - the men sit-in in the stables), all the while supported by their wives, Mary (Len's wife) joining the party and becoming a respected figure even earning a place on the council with one elderly lady in her 80s saying she would vote for her having never voted before as it was the only chance she'd ever had to vote for a woman, and ending with Len going off to Spain to the Spanish civil war to fight the fascists. (The author died in Spain Ed: I misread it - speeches in support of the Spanish republicans not necessarily IN Spain Ed2 - it was Cardiff!) of a heart attack after giving 30 speeches in a day).

I cannot recommend these two books too highly.

Read the first one, Cwmardy, here: https://www.library.wales/digital-e...0%2C3732%2C3173

Can't find online reading link for We Live.

Totally recommend this sequel.

Haven't thought about that book for ages, really need to reread it. One of my relatives took part in the miner's strike and later the Tonypandy riots while he worked in the Llwynypia colliery, the same colliery my father would later work in.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I like to pronounce it "Barry"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's a surprise that anyone likes or trusts the police these days.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's German for "The Sausage, the"

I tried not to laugh I really did, but I failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

As far as I can see when I look at him he's been ambushed with quite a lot of cake.